It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Quit the Internet for a week challenge?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 2 2015 @ 11:34 AM
link   
I love the Internet. Like many people of my generation I've become accustom to using the information I can find through a web search to get me through most any everyday issue. Cooking, cleaning, car troubles, research, shopping. The Internet is Roy Orbisons "You Got It" come to life.

I'm always laughing at my partner because he can't live without television, and some days I'll ask him why he doesn't turn it off for a week. Yesterday he said, why don't you give up the Internet for a week?

I know I CAN give up the Internet for a week, no sweat, but I'm interested in seeing if any other members would like to participate by stating what they would accomplish while giving up their Internet time, and then giving a progress report when they rejoin the Internet come next Monday (Tuesday if you're in Australia and make it to next week having survived all of your continents deadly venomous creatures, sharks, koala attacks, etc. :|).

Personally, while giving up my internet this week I want to accomplish:

Finish at least ten short stories to add to my compilation of truck drivers weird and paranormal experiences while on the road.

Finish the 2 books I have on the go: Etta and Otto and Russell and James by Emma Hooper; and, The High Druid of Shannara Trilogy by Terry Brooks.

Make a map of the garden plot.

Write a chapter for a novel I allllwaaays seem to be working on.

Get ahead on coursework, like, way ahead, using , omg, the library, therefore surprising my professors with cited sources solely from books. Unheard of at my university.

Take the dog for several long walks so we can both begin to shed our winter extras.

Finish ABC watercolours for my nephews nursery.

Do all of the work pant, coat pocket, button mending that has been piling up.

Maybe I'll find a ton of other stuff to get done, too. Perhaps I'll fail miserably!

I hope at least one other person wants to join me, but if not I understand as the Internet can be an incredibly fun and informative place.
edit on 2-3-2015 by Atsbhct because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 2 2015 @ 11:37 AM
link   
a reply to: Atsbhct

Not a chance

I need to feel the internet's needle puncture my vein on a daily basis!!!!

posted on Mar, 2 2015 @ 11:42 AM
link   
Can't you think about this during the spring or summer, there is little to do during the winter.

posted on Mar, 2 2015 @ 11:47 AM
link   
Unfortunately, the use of the internet at work is not optional for me.

posted on Mar, 2 2015 @ 11:47 AM
link   
I'm virtually internet free every work week unless I really need to check my mail or research something which really doesn't count. Just happen to have the day off today so I'm lounging/surfing.

posted on Mar, 2 2015 @ 11:49 AM
link   
I feel you there!

a reply to: nullafides

posted on Mar, 2 2015 @ 11:50 AM
link   
Hahaha. It's a cure for boredom that's for sure.

a reply to: rickymouse

posted on Mar, 2 2015 @ 11:50 AM
link   
If I had to use Internet for my job, I wouldn't count that usage. It's a given for a lot of people.

a reply to: Shakawkaw

posted on Mar, 2 2015 @ 11:51 AM
link   

Hang on..........................Let me get this right

YOU want ME, to not be on ATS for a whole week !!!!!!

Absolutely not a snowball's chance in hell mate

The very thought brings me out in a cold sweat, it's all I can do to go a day at work !!!

Interesting concept thought LOL

Cody

posted on Mar, 2 2015 @ 11:52 AM
link   
You're opposite of most people. Without revealing too much, what kind of job keeps you away from the net? I've had work away positions in the past that this occured purely because I was in a ridiculously remote location.

a reply to: Kukri

posted on Mar, 2 2015 @ 11:54 AM
link   
It was a slow week on ATS for me. I didn't really come across anything that made me overly curious unfortunately, even though I somehow gained access to the RATS forum, and when I noticed I thought, "OMG, now I can really dig into a good conspiracy!", not knowing at all what the RATS forum really was.

a reply to: cody599

posted on Mar, 2 2015 @ 12:02 PM
link   

Now, I will counter my earlier statement though...

Having been a programmer since 1982....I feel that the way we consume the internet is best described as gluttony.

Remember 1200 baud modems? Acoustic Modems? You selectively determined what and when you wanted to download. Including websites.

The way that EVERYONE uses the internet today for video and general media streaming is a hard concept for me to swallow. I'm not a fan of it. I tend to use the internet for reading 80% of the time, the remaining is broken down to about 19.9% pictures, and the remaining .1% would be video for me.

I just see the overall capacity of the internet, and cannot help but understand it's limitations. No freaking wonder the FCC is wanting their piece of the pie. Every year, we have to build a bigger and bigger foundation for it.

A tangent, sure...but something that's been on my mind for quite some time.

posted on Mar, 2 2015 @ 12:10 PM
link   

I hope at least one other person wants to join me

Not me , I had an enforced internet outage for 5 days in 2011 , I did not like it

Good luck with your experiment , perhaps a voluntary period of abstinence would be better than my experience but then perhaps not.

posted on Mar, 2 2015 @ 12:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: Atsbhct
It was a slow week on ATS for me. I didn't really come across anything that made me overly curious unfortunately, even though I somehow gained access to the RATS forum, and when I noticed I thought, "OMG, now I can really dig into a good conspiracy!", not knowing at all what the RATS forum really was.

I've been here for ten years Atsbhct

Many of the members here are as close to my heart as my own family, if I went AWOL for a week do you have any idea how many u2u's I'd have to answer
It doesn't bare thinking about, and the avatar creations thread would loose the night shift.

I'd be making the coffee and wearing Justin Bieber avatars for a month as punishment LOL

Cody

posted on Mar, 2 2015 @ 12:12 PM
link   
Tangent away! Im handy with technology, as most people are these days, but I'd would be a computer layperson to someone with your background. Part of the reason I enjoy the Internet is because I can enjoy video without advertising, one of my biggest annoyances in life. I suppose a lot of us consider the Internet as "free" (even though we pay for it), and don't think of the true cost of bandwidth, etc.

Another part of why Im saying, f it for a week, not only to humour the be, is because a huge trend I've been noticing about the Internet lately is the proliferation of targeted narcissism. It's become insane, you can't Google anything without the top ten hits being references to lists about how the subject pertains to you, or how the subject makes you special, etc. im annoyed by this for reasons I haven't quite come to terms with yet.

a reply to: nullafides

posted on Mar, 2 2015 @ 12:14 PM
link   
Hahaha, I haven't quite integrated to that level yet, mostly being a lurker for all the years I've enjoyed ATS 's content. You guys definitely do good work creating eye catching avatars!

posted on Mar, 2 2015 @ 12:15 PM
link   
Thank you. Im a big fan of when the power goes out. I like living pioneer style. In my case, voluntary abstinence might be worse!

a reply to: gortex

posted on Mar, 2 2015 @ 12:28 PM
link   

I like the idea. I'm sure many would get a collective sigh of relief from my absense also. (hee-hee)

posted on Mar, 2 2015 @ 12:31 PM
link   
What? Whose day isn't made better by a skull munching bunny?

a reply to: beezzer

posted on Mar, 2 2015 @ 12:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: Atsbhct
Hahaha, I haven't quite integrated to that level yet, mostly being a lurker for all the years I've enjoyed ATS 's content. You guys definitely do good work creating eye catching avatars!

Thanks
We do our best to please, pop over some time and ask for one *Waves at beez*

Cody

top topics

<<   2 >>

join