It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Big Bang (Genesis 1:2-3)

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 21 2015 @ 10:10 PM
link   
Now the earth was formless and empty, darkness was over the surface of the deep, and the Spirit of God was hovering over the waters.
And God said, “Let there be light,” and there was light.

(Genesis 1:2-3)

Similarly, our current explanation for the dawn of our universe is that there was an inexplicable explosion of light from emptiness - the big bang.

How were these biblical writers able to know this? We are left with the conclusion that this was indeed Divinely inspired.

+6 more 
posted on Feb, 21 2015 @ 10:21 PM
link   
a reply to: cooperton

How did this OP somehow connect something as simple as a god speaking and creating light to something as complex as the big bang? We are left with the conclusion that confirmation bias.

The Genesis creation myth is very similar to that of the Babylonian creation myth. I guess the Babylonian religion was divinely inspired?

Your argument is extremely weak, no offense. A new theory says that the universe is eternal, having no beginning or end. What does that say about your creation story?
edit on 2/21/2015 by 3NL1GHT3N3D1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2015 @ 10:25 PM
link   

Well shoot, I didn't realize it was that simple!

posted on Feb, 21 2015 @ 10:26 PM
link   

Oh wait, are you saying science is right after all?! Too bad it states the big bang happened billions of years ago instead of 6,000.

posted on Feb, 21 2015 @ 10:28 PM
link   

and the Spirit of God was hovering over the waters

Some kind of craft and possible terraform incident? Was the terraform the "Big bang" and God just a extraterrestrial?

posted on Feb, 21 2015 @ 10:30 PM
link   
a reply to: 3NL1GHT3N3D1

No, jesus rode a dino and you can't tell me anything different!

posted on Feb, 21 2015 @ 10:31 PM
link   
what about "the waters" everyone skips over this...what waters?

posted on Feb, 21 2015 @ 10:32 PM
link   
a reply to: Sremmos80

Actually, he rode a unicorn. You do know unicorns used to exist right? They're in the bible!

posted on Feb, 21 2015 @ 10:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: 3NL1GHT3N3D1

Oh wait, are you saying science is right after all?! Too bad it states the big bang happened billions of years ago instead of 6,000.

Bible does not actually give 6,000 years as the creation of the Universe, or mankind.

posted on Feb, 21 2015 @ 10:42 PM
link   

How were these biblical writers able to know this? We are left with the conclusion that this was indeed Divinely inspired.

So the biblical writers did not know about the big bang . Are you saying that they made things up .

posted on Feb, 21 2015 @ 10:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: 3NL1GHT3N3D1
a reply to: Sremmos80

Actually, he rode a unicorn. You do know unicorns used to exist right? They're in the bible!

Actually they are not. Common tactic used by people who hate Christians/Christianity. I suppose it's better to be ignorant than informed though.

+1 more 
posted on Feb, 21 2015 @ 10:56 PM
link   
a reply to: OccamsRazor04

Job 39
9 Will the unicorn be willing to serve thee, or abide by thy crib? 10 Canst thou bind the unicorn with his band in the furrow? or will he harrow the valleys after thee?

Psalm 29
6 He maketh them also to skip like a calf; Lebanon and Sirion like a young unicorn.

Isaiah 34
7 And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness.

Numbers 23
22 God brought them out of Egypt; he hath as it were the strength of an unicorn.

Deuteronomy 33
17 His glory is like the firstling of his bullock, and his horns are like the horns of unicorns: with them he shall push the people together to the ends of the earth: and they are the ten thousands of Ephraim, and they are the thousands of Manasseh.

Numbers 24
8 God brought him forth out of Egypt; he hath as it were the strength of an unicorn: he shall eat up the nations his enemies, and shall break their bones, and pierce them through with his arrows.

Psalm 22
21 Save me from the lion's mouth: for thou hast heard me from the horns of the unicorns.

Psalm 92
10 But my horn shalt thou exalt like the horn of an unicorn: I shall be anointed with fresh oil.

What makes you think I hate Christians? LOL, so defensive.

posted on Feb, 21 2015 @ 10:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: cooperton

Now the earth was formless and empty, darkness was over the surface of the deep, and the Spirit of God was hovering over the waters.
And God said, “Let there be light,” and there was light.

(Genesis 1:2-3)

Similarly, our current explanation for the dawn of our universe is that there was an inexplicable explosion of light from emptiness - the big bang.

How convenient that you left out how on the 4th?(I think 4th) he created the stars and moon..... After the earth, oceans and fish I think.

Excellent cherry picking !!! Lol

posted on Feb, 21 2015 @ 11:00 PM
link   

I can admire your excitement about this. I used to ponder such things and wonder about similar conclusions you've come to. That being said, I think you do yourself a dishonor by saying "We are left with the conclusion that this was indeed Divinely inspired." You speak as if it's the only other conclusion you could come to. I assure you, that it is not! That is, if you wish to be objective in your approach.

First off, your argument defeats itself because the big bang and the Genesis creation story are not similar. As you said, the big bang was an explosion of light from emptiness. Well, this isn't exactly true (as far as my understanding goes anyway). But even if it was..

Genesis 1:2-3 doesn't say there was emptiness, or otherwise hint at nothingness. It doesn't even speak of anything besides the Earth. Which it states is already there. Formless, empty, and dark. But also, covered in water.

God saying, "Let there be light" and comparing the sudden existence of light to the explosion (which is more accurately described as an expansion) of the Big Bang Theory doesn't work. Before the big bang the Earth was not there. Even immediately following the big bang the Earth was not there. It took billions of years before it even started forming.

Secondly, even if the order of events for both the Big Bang Theory, and the Genesis creation myth were similar enough to draw a comparison, the conclusion that the information was divinely inspired is a poor one. Here's why! Just keep reading Genesis. There are days even before the Sun was there for the Earth to orbit. There are lights placed in the sky to shine down on the Earth. The Sun being the greater light, to govern the day. The Moon being the lesser to govern the night. However we all know now (as opposed to when Genesis was authored) that the Moon does not give off light, it reflects it. Let's not even get into the creation of living things vs evolution.

With all of the things the Bible gets wrong, it's not a good idea to claim divine inspiration for the things it gets right, or seems to get right with loose interpretations and wishful thinking.

posted on Feb, 21 2015 @ 11:00 PM
link   

The genealogies do though. Counting back from Jesus to Adam is about 6,000 years give or take a few years. Is the genealogy the bible gives wrong?

posted on Feb, 21 2015 @ 11:01 PM
link   

Well if we go by the literal interpretation it's no more then 10k right?

posted on Feb, 21 2015 @ 11:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: OccamsRazor04
Bible does not actually give 6,000 years as the creation of the Universe, or mankind.

That figure is an approximation calculated from all the genealogies etc.

Edit: Looks like 3NL1GHT3N3D1 said it before I could.

edit on 2-21-2015 by WakeUpBeer because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2015 @ 11:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: WakeUpBeer

I can admire your excitement about this. I used to ponder such things and wonder about similar conclusions you've come to. That being said, I think you do yourself a dishonor by saying "We are left with the conclusion that this was indeed Divinely inspired." You speak as if it's the only other conclusion you could come to. I assure you, that it is not! That is, if you wish to be objective in your approach.

First off, your argument defeats itself because the big bang and the Genesis creation story are not similar. As you said, the big bang was an explosion of light from emptiness. Well, this isn't exactly true (as far as my understanding goes anyway). But even if it was..

Genesis 1:2-3 doesn't say there was emptiness, or otherwise hint at nothingness. It doesn't even speak of anything besides the Earth. Which it states is already there. Formless, empty, and dark. But also, covered in water.

God saying, "Let there be light" and comparing the sudden existence of light to the explosion (which is more accurately described as an expansion) of the Big Bang Theory doesn't work. Before the big bang the Earth was not there. Even immediately following the big bang the Earth was not there. It took billions of years before it even started forming.

Secondly, even if the order of events for both the Big Bang Theory, and the Genesis creation myth were similar enough to draw a comparison, the conclusion that the information was divinely inspired is a poor one. Here's why! Just keep reading Genesis. There are days even before the Sun was there for the Earth to orbit. There are lights placed in the sky to shine down on the Earth. The Sun being the greater light, to govern the day. The Moon being the lesser to govern the night. However we all know now (as opposed to when Genesis was authored) that the Moon does not give off light, it reflects it. Let's not even get into the creation of living things vs evolution.

With all of the things the Bible gets wrong, it's not a good idea to claim divine inspiration for the things it gets right, or seems to get right with loose interpretations and wishful thinking.

Don't forget squinting and cherry picking!! Cause if you throw out like 90% and close one eye and squint with the other it lines up perfectly with science !!!!

Proof the bible is the word of god for sure!!!

posted on Feb, 21 2015 @ 11:05 PM
link   
a reply to: 3NL1GHT3N3D1

Awesome job being ignorant. Was the Bible written in English? The word in question is rĕ'em, and has literally nothing to do with Unicorns. It refers to an extinct animal which was unknown, and Unicorn was simply an English filler word. It's an animal resembling a bull/ox.

I guess rather than be educated it's better to be ignorant.

probably the great aurochs or wild bulls which are now extinct. The exact meaning is not known.

www.blueletterbible.org...

posted on Feb, 21 2015 @ 11:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: WakeUpBeer

originally posted by: OccamsRazor04

That figure is an approximation calculated from all the genealogies etc.

It's an approximation based on calculations based on a specific interpretation of the Bible. It is not at all determined as truth in the Bible.

<<   2  3  4 >>

join