It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Oklahoma Lawmakers Vote Overwhelmingly To Ban Advanced Placement U.S. History

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 18 2015 @ 08:57 AM
link   
The idea that a history book puts a political slant on the events that happened hundreds of years ago is ridiculous. You guys can't agree on what happened in the newspaper yesterday. History books should tell what happened and why the people involved in those events chose the actions they took. The reader should be the one making the judgement of those people.
There is a reason that math books are titled "math"
Chemistry books are titled "chemistry"
Why do history books get titled "birth of a nation" or "the American adventure"?
They should be titled " american history"

posted on Feb, 18 2015 @ 09:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: CranialSponge
When a country aims to erase any aspects of its history that may be 'ugly', and seeks to portray only an image of perfection, saintliness, and omnipotence....

THAT is when you've got your first steps towards tyrannical dictatorship.

These are very scary people indeed.

Dystopia.

posted on Feb, 18 2015 @ 09:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: CranialSponge
When a country aims to

Not a country, Oklahoma. It's pretty typical.

posted on Feb, 18 2015 @ 09:17 AM
link   
a reply to: Shakawkaw

These sort of cancers have a knack for spreading.

Be careful what you choose to be apathetic about...

posted on Feb, 18 2015 @ 09:17 AM
link   
Black robe regiment sounds like the beginnings of our own brand of ISIS....will they too want to burn heretics at the stake eventually?
yech! When will people learn to mind their own business and stick to facts however objectionable they may or may not have been.......

posted on Feb, 18 2015 @ 09:29 AM
link   
Most of you may not like the view that these folks take, but you all better be prepared to speak out for what you believe. This is a fight against the whole common core thing that is getting pushed on our school systems. You think you have a problem with what Oklahoma is doing, wait till Washington tells you how your schools will be run.
Do you want obama or bush teaching your kids?

posted on Feb, 18 2015 @ 09:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: Hoosierdaddy71
The idea that a history book puts a political slant on the events that happened hundreds of years ago is ridiculous.

I don't think the "political slant" is what's being questioned here.

It's the religious slant that's so troubling.

posted on Feb, 18 2015 @ 09:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: Shakawkaw

It's not just Oklahoma, though. There is someone pushing a religious agenda in schools all over this country. Whether it be teaching children that dinosaurs lived with man, or that creation should be taught alongside - and with equal weight to - evolution, the religious lobby in this nation are HARD at work on our youth.

Read my post on page one. These guys aren't just operating in Oklahoma, they're operating all over the world.

posted on Feb, 18 2015 @ 10:00 AM
link   

Truth is, neither one of those two men will ever be teaching anyone's kids.

That sounds like one of those deliberately biased and misleading questions that those Vermont H.S. kids just got through hammering Fox News over.

While I don't profess to be any kind of expert with regards to Common Core legislation, from what I can tell, it seems to be widely accepted by most states across this nation.

Furthermore, when you look at the list of states that are rejecting it, it's like a who's who list of states that are currently controlled by the same kind of nuts running Oklahoma. Go figure!
edit on 18-2-2015 by Flatfish because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 18 2015 @ 10:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: Flatfish

While I don't profess to be any kind of expert with regards to Common Core legislation, from what I can tell, it seems to be widely accepted by most states across this nation.

widely accepted? So that must mean that the majority thinks it's fine. Ok I can accept that logic.

But about 75% of America is recognized as christian. Are you willing to accept that 3/4 of the population would not have a problem with prayer in schools?

I'm sure that you are not ok with that and neither am i.
The whole point of this black robe bunch is that the federal government should not be dictating what our children are taught. That should be decided on a local level.

posted on Feb, 18 2015 @ 10:12 AM
link   
No clue what happened to this post...

posted on Feb, 18 2015 @ 10:12 AM
link   
a reply to: Flatfish

widely accepted? So that must mean that the majority thinks it's fine. Ok I can accept that logic.

But about 75% of America is recognized as christian. Are you willing to accept that 3/4 of the population would not have a problem with prayer in schools?

The whole point of this black robe bunch is that the federal government should not be dictating what our children are taught. That should be decided on a local level.

posted on Feb, 18 2015 @ 10:47 AM
link   

I don't know what "Common Core" is, but I'm fairly certain that teaching it in public schools doesn't violate the US Constitution, whereas teaching prayer in schools, does.

So, just to see where you are, do you agree with that? Is it OK for Louisiana to teach that we roamed the earth with dinosaurs and teach creationism instead of evolution???

posted on Feb, 18 2015 @ 10:49 AM
link   
a reply to: infinityorder

Who's labeling them as evil? Certainly not me! They were people much like you and me only from a different time and with different experiences. There's a big difference in labeling your history as "evil" and I would venture to guess that there is no constructive results from doing so.

The only way that it can be used constructively is by doing so how I outlined.
By acknowledging the past (both the good and the bad) and celebrating that we have learned and grown from it. To acknowledge those who sacrificed to change it. And to be a bit empathic towards those that suffered from it.

I imagine that in a few hundred years from now, our children's children's children will be looking back at our barbaric actions in like manner and quite frankly I hope they do! It will mean that mankind has grown and evolved!

But then I venture to guess that you are conservative and well you don't believe that that evolution has ever taken place.. so I don't know what to tell ya!

Matter of fact I kind of wonder if maybe some one the religious right want to bring us back to a state of being where owning another is perfectly fine and therefore not wrong.

Wonder if the slaves saw it as wrong??? Betcha they did!

posted on Feb, 18 2015 @ 10:54 AM
link   

a reply to: Flatfish

Yeah right! At the local level, by a bunch of religious fanatics in black robes?

Personally, I don't even favor the term "Under God" being included in the pledge of allegiance, but that's just me.

The last thing I want is for our children's educational curriculum to be decided by a bunch of science denying, backwoods thinking religious fanatics, local or not.

On the other hand, I am definitely in favor of a common set of educational standards nationwide. If I have to pay my school taxes, I fully expect for my children to get every bit as good an education as can be delivered.

Black robes anyone?

posted on Feb, 18 2015 @ 11:07 AM
link   
a reply to: Hoosierdaddy71

and yet, I look around this "christian" country of yours and I have to wonder.

Where is your God?
Surely 25% of the country could not have caused this much chaos could they??
Na, no way!!!

www.youtube.com...

it's not a christian nation, if it was we would hear and understand not happily marching onward to our demise while denying the mistakes we have made just a few years ago while claiming it's the gay, abortions, and women's rights are the reason why we will see judgement!

posted on Feb, 18 2015 @ 11:19 AM
link   
Do you people even read the posts of others?
I never said prayer in schools is good.
I said that sometimes majority rules is bad.
Federal control of our schools is bad.
I don't want a senator from San Francisco telling my local schools how to educate my kids.
These folks might be religious nutters but they have the right to speak their minds as do the people that oppose them.
The parents are the ones that should be in control of their school systems.

posted on Feb, 18 2015 @ 11:43 AM
link   

Do you people even read the posts of others?
I never said prayer in schools is good.

That's why I ASKED.

Federal control of our schools is bad.

Why?

I don't want a senator from San Francisco telling my local schools how to educate my kids.

San Francisco is not federal .

The parents are the ones that should be in control of their school systems.

I pay for these schools.

Now, do you think it's OK for one state to teach prayer in school (if it's the local desire) and another to teach liberalism and gay acceptance (if it's the local desire)?

posted on Feb, 18 2015 @ 11:51 AM
link   
or if a state decided that all the females needed to know was how to count spell add and subtract at a 6th grade level and their remaining years of schooling should be spent learning how to clean and care for home and kids and cooking?

the fact that the federal gov't retains some control as to what is taught in schools give an equal opportunity for all students to obtain a decent level of education as well as promotes unity and cohesion amoung the states

posted on Feb, 18 2015 @ 12:03 PM
link   
a reply to: Benevolent Heretic

San Francisco is federal when they send a rep to Washington to vote on federal laws and bills.that could be any California city not just the one mentioned.
Do you not see how bad having Nancy pilosi or jed bush dictating their wishes on the department of education and then your local school could be?

And our local schools already teach gay acceptance. They even say racism is bad.
I absolutely think that our local government should have a part in deciding how our kids are taught. But the school system with elected board members should be guiding our schools.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join