It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Oklahoma Lawmakers Vote Overwhelmingly To Ban Advanced Placement U.S. History

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 18 2015 @ 03:06 PM
link   
a reply to: Irishhaf

Well teachers are human and suffer from the same failings as any other human would. They aren't perfect and just because you found a bad teacher doesn't mean that all teachers are bad.

My world history teacher introduced me to the 2012 Mayan doomsday conspiracy all the way back in 2002, and he presented it as fact as well. Yes, that was bad teaching, but at the same time I also had teachers who did a much better job teaching history. And besides that one gripe, he was a decent teacher himself.

posted on Feb, 18 2015 @ 03:08 PM
link   
Oklahoma is becoming as backwards as Saudi Arabia and some of the other third world fundamentalist countries.

They don't want AP History taught, because....kids might learn the truth about history.. hmmm

Then, the banned hoodies. As a forty year old white guy, father of kids, business owner, stand up citizen, I can't wear a hoodie in Oklahoma and my kids can't learn real history?

What a backwards horrible place to live! Sharia law, Christian Style coming next. Oh, and isnt' this the state that wants to ban yoga pants? What's next ...making women wear long dresses like the quakers do?

posted on Feb, 18 2015 @ 03:21 PM
link   
a reply to: amazing

Oh get out with that noise...

Okc has a large gay and lesbian and transgender population are they being thrown off roofs...

Also saw more interracial couples there than I ever saw while living on the coast.

Also they will give you the shirt right off their backs to help after a disaster.

Such a narrow minded thought process I can't understand it..
edit on 18-2-2015 by Irishhaf because: Fricking auto correct

posted on Feb, 18 2015 @ 03:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: Irishhaf

Oh get out with that noise...

Okc has a large gay and lesbian and transgender population are they being thrown off roofs...

Also saw more interracial couples there than I ever saw while living on the coast.

Also they will give you the shirt right off their backs to help after a disaster.

Such a narrow minded thought process I can't understand it..

You can't understand about banning yoga pants, banning hoodies and banning AP History. That's really getting a little ridiculous. Come on...you can't see the problem? It's only going to get worse. This also is in Oklahoma

www.blackrobereg.org...

I'm not a Christian and I wear hoodies all the time, and I'm a big time history buff. I also love Yoga pants!

What's next? Serious question.

posted on Feb, 18 2015 @ 03:34 PM
link   
I lol out loud laughing when I read through the thread.

Such utter helplessness in the face of such overwhelming draconian power!

"Oh my"
"Our poor children"
"Mean old meany-pants GOP!"

So they don't teach it.
So they convolute the history.
Say they distort everything and claim that Oklahoma arose from a flower from moose poop.

Apparently there is not a single independent thinker here who is opposed to this. Because, say. . . . oh, I don't know. . . . . . . . a leftist curriculum being taught in schools, then it would be my duty as a parent to further teach my child and to assist in his education and not just leave his education in the hands of others!

For gods sake! It's like a parent complaining that drivers ed teacher never taught the child to use a car radio, therefore, he can never learn how to use the car radio!

I'm going to go off and wail and gnash my teeth and possibly rend some clothing in support of this horror. Because it is painfully obvious that there aren't any PARENTS who actually TAKE PART in their childs education!

REGARDLESS OF WHAT IS BEING TAUGHT!

posted on Feb, 18 2015 @ 03:37 PM
link   

Saudi Arabia.. Sharia law little over the top no?

It's a great place to live, can you point to a state now that doesn't have wacky doodles in charge.

The people of oklahoma are some of the best people I've known in 42 year's.

Those bills are stupid still not remotely close to sharia law.
Heck it's still on the books (last I looked) that it's illegal to have sex with Chickens in Florida, doesn't mean floridians are into beastiality.
edit on 18-2-2015 by Irishhaf because: Fricking auto correct

posted on Feb, 18 2015 @ 03:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: Irishhaf

Saudi Arabia.. Sharia law little over the top no?

It's a great place to live, can you point to a state now that doesn't have wacky doodles in charge.

The people of oklahoma are some of the best people I've known in 42 year's.

Those bills are stupid still not remotely close to sharia law.
Heck it's still on the books (last I looked) that it's illegal to have sex with Chickens in Florida, doesn't mean floridians are into beastiality.

A little over the top, yeah, and i do know some Oklahomans who are nice people. But, you realize this will be the tip of the iceburg....it's getting a little wacky with the voters in Oklahoma and we know that once nuts, get their foot in the door it's hard to keep them out. Nuts everywhere, yes...I mean Harry Reid is from Nevada...I get it, it's just Bam. Why would they ban actual history and hoodies?

posted on Feb, 18 2015 @ 03:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: infinityorder
a reply to: Spider879

Yes our founders owned slaves, it was perfectly acceptable at the time.

They paint the founders as villains for owning slaves, like they lived in our modern era and knew it was wrong.

[The Convention] thought it wrong to admit in the Constitution the idea that there could be property in men."
-- James Madison, Records of the Convention, August 25, 1787

"There is not a man living who wishes more sincerely than I do, to see a plan adopted for the abolition of it."
-- George Washington, letter to Robert Morris, April 12, 1786

I have, throughout my whole life, held the practice of slavery in ... abhorrence."
-- John Adams, letter to Robert Evans, June 8, 1819

American citizens are instrumental in carrying on a traffic in enslaved Africans, equally in violation of the laws of humanity and in defiance of those of their own country.
-- James Madison, State of the Union,1810

"I believe a time will come when an opportunity will be offered to abolish this lamentable evil."
-- Patrick Henry, letter to Robert Pleasants, January 18, 1773

"The augmentation of slaves weakens the states; and such a trade is diabolical in itself, and disgraceful to mankind."
-- George Mason

"It is much to be wished that slavery may be abolished. The honour of the States, as well as justice and humanity, in my opinion, loudly call upon them to emancipate these unhappy people. To contend for our own liberty, and to deny that blessing to others, involves an inconsistency not to be excused."
--John Jay, letter to R. Lushington, March 15, 1786

posted on Feb, 18 2015 @ 04:03 PM
link   

It will get worse for a bit the Okies will get tired of the crazy and get rid of them.

The only reason the crazies get a foot hold is many in the bible belt feel their way of life is being threatened by people who have never lived there.

That's primarily the fault of the media that like to push the backwards religious freaks angle.

Edit ilk stop hijacking now and go to sleep peace ✌
edit on 18-2-2015 by Irishhaf because: additional thought

posted on Feb, 18 2015 @ 07:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t
a reply to: Irishhaf

Actually, to be honest, I was actually pretty upset with the history I was learning in grade school because it didn't teach us all the gritty details. I LIKED college history FAR more than high school history because it was REAL history, not biased and white-washed.

I always preferred AP and College history because it teaches the WHY of what happened. It's less about exact dates, soldier counts at a battle, etc and more about why something happened, how legislation was enacted, what it was in response to, and the outcomes. Grade school history teaches that WW1 started in 1914, AP history teaches the complex system of alliances that lead to the sides forming and why they attacked each other.

posted on Feb, 18 2015 @ 09:57 PM
link   
a reply to: Benevolent Heretic

You're right. That's pretty creepy.

posted on Feb, 18 2015 @ 10:02 PM
link   
I'm glad I did a search. I was going to do a thread on this and see that you already did.

You have no idea how many history textbooks don't make the cut because they don't fit the great American mythology that districts want to spread. Read Lies My Teacher Told Me. It's a real eye opener.

posted on Feb, 19 2015 @ 06:47 AM
link   
a reply to: Spider879

There are lawmakers who are pushing to ban all A.P. classes in Oklahoma.

posted on Feb, 19 2015 @ 06:57 AM
link   
a reply to: Aazadan

Well said. History without meaning is bland and makes little sense in context.

posted on Feb, 19 2015 @ 07:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: Skid Mark
I'm glad I did a search. I was going to do a thread on this and see that you already did.

You have no idea how many history textbooks don't make the cut because they don't fit the great American mythology that districts want to spread. Read Lies My Teacher Told Me. It's a real eye opener.

Wow. How have I not heard of this book? I need to get a copy. I just read the Table of Contents and the various chapters look REALLY interesting.

Some notable chapters:

Chapter 3) The Truth about the First Thanksgiving. The truth about Plymouth Rock, European diseases in the New World, Squanto, and the reason why the Pilgrims were so Thankful.

Chapter 7) The Land of Opportunity. The absence of social class in American history textbooks.

Chapter 8) Watching Big Brother: What Textbooks Teach about the Federal Government. How textbooks misrepresent the U.S. government and omit its participation in state-sponsored terrorism.

Chapter 9) See No Evil: Choosing Not to Look at the War in Vietnam

Chapter 12) Why Is History Taught Like This?

Chapter 13) What Is the Result Of Teaching History Like This? Minority Students End Up Alienated, All Students End Up Bored, and No One Can Use the Past To Think Cogently About the Future.

edit on 19-2-2015 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2015 @ 11:46 AM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

I'm sorry but there is one in this thread claiming that 75% of the population is christian and I am sure that the percentage was much higher back then! We are not cats or birds we are humans! We have access to somethings that they don't. Higher functioning brains, a complex language which enables to record our experiences and preserve them through time along with the ability to reason!!
You say that they didn't know better back then when in many of the colonies the people were required to attend church where they taught the basic precepts of chirstianity??? Ya know that religion where "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you"???

My ancestry goes back in this country to before the revolutionary war. They came over as indentured servants and worked on a plantation in Pennsylvania for the noble king. They were supposed to do this until their debt was paid off.

Now maybe I am missing something here that you seem to be saying that these fine noble christians white men would have found it completely acceptable to have their babies ripped from their mother's arms, their sons placed in chains, their wives and daughters raped by men since well either one of two things are possible. Either they weren't christian enough to live by that one christian principle or they would fully accept such treatment as the slaves received.
And I am telling you now they would not accept it!! Those workers on that plantation that my ancestors worked on had a much better deal, kinder treatment, and knew that it would end in a set length of time and they REVOLTED! The king never was repaid that debt!!!

They knew it was wrong!

posted on Feb, 19 2015 @ 12:09 PM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

You should be able to find it at a library or bookstore. As far as I know it's still in print. It covers how school districts choose books and a whole lot of other stuff. Like I said, it's a real eye opener. Some of that stuff in there I never knew. It's kind of sad when you go to school and learn things and then find out that everything you thought you knew was wrong.

posted on Feb, 19 2015 @ 12:53 PM
link   
a reply to: Skid Mark

I added it to my Amazon wishlist pretty much right after I read your post earlier today.

edit on 19-2-2015 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join