It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

White House REFUSES To Call 21 Beheading Victims CHRISTIANS In Statement Against ISIS Attack

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 16 2015 @ 12:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58
a reply to: IAMTAT

And calling them Christian somehow makes it more horrific or something? Twenty one people were beheaded, so what if they were Christian, or Jewish, or Muslim. A title doesn't change the fact that they were murdered, or how horrific it was.

I believe it matters to the Christian community. Certainly the Pope felt it mattered enough to mention in his statement.

"Their only words were: 'Jesus, help me!' They were killed simply for the fact that they were Christians," Francis said in his native Spanish, departing from the Italian he uses at most formal events.

www.huffingtonpost.com...
edit on 16-2-2015 by IAMTAT because: link added

posted on Feb, 16 2015 @ 12:50 PM
link   
I find this to be an odd thing not to mention considering that the whole reason they were chosen for the beheading was their faith. Would the reason have been brought up if it was 21 gays or women that didn't cover themselves properly being victimized?

posted on Feb, 16 2015 @ 12:51 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

21 pilots were beheaded because they knew how to fly

context matters much because we relate to people like us

posted on Feb, 16 2015 @ 12:52 PM
link   
Hey everyone. Cheer up. They will spend eternity living in wonder and joy. So turn those frowns upside down you negative nellies!+ Jesus loves you!

posted on Feb, 16 2015 @ 12:52 PM
link   

Perhaps in cases like this it would stir up religious tensions between groups so it's better not to focus so much on details such as these victims religious followings.

It's not always "Us versus Them" or good versus bad. Either way, it was 21 people who lost their lives in a horrendous way - that should be the focus, wouldn't you say?

posted on Feb, 16 2015 @ 12:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: IAMTAT

And calling them Christian somehow makes it more horrific or something? Twenty one people were beheaded, so what if they were Christian, or Jewish, or Muslim. A title doesn't change the fact that they were murdered, or how horrific it was.

I believe it matters to the Christian community. Certainly the Pope felt it mattered enough to mention in his statement.

The pope is the leader of the Catholic Church. Not a country with no official religion.

Side note: when the Jordanian pilot was executed, he was routinely identified as "Jordanian pilot..." And not "Muslim/Christian/jewish/atheist/scientologist Jordanian pilot..." so.....

Oh, forgot to mention: what ISIS is doing should matter to Christians anyway. Not a very christian thing to do, not caring about what's happening unless it happens to Christians.

edit on 16-2-2015 by Shamrock6 because: Eta

+6 more 
posted on Feb, 16 2015 @ 12:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: CharlieSpeirs
Refuses to?

Or just didn't?

I'll say he refuses to. Just like he won't say ISIS are Muslims, he refuses to say the twenty-one victims are Christian. He had no problem last week at the prayer breakfast linking Christians and the Crusades and Inquisition before even mentioning ISIS and Muslims. In fact, he wouldn't use the word ISIS, he referred to them as extremists instead. If a group of Christians currently beheaded innocent Muslims, I'm sure he would have no problem calling them Christians before using the word extremist.

posted on Feb, 16 2015 @ 01:00 PM
link   

If only there were a color blind Presidential Administration that would prefer to take the 'no labels' road when it comes to matters of race, like Trayvon...

posted on Feb, 16 2015 @ 01:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: butcherguy

If only there were a color blind Presidential Administration that would prefer to take the 'no labels' road when it comes to matters of race, like Trayvon...

That's not fair. His son wouldn't look like a Coptic Christian from Egypt.

posted on Feb, 16 2015 @ 01:05 PM
link   
a reply to: UnBreakable

I'd guess he said extremists rather than ISIS in reference to Boko Haram, Tehrik-I-Taliban, Al Qaeda and all the others as well as ISIS.

You may be right.

But I would say that "flame fanning" has been complained about a lot on ATS...

So I'm confused why the sudden change of heart in this situation.

It seems exactly what the Media is trying to continue to do like they did with the civil unrest in recent times.

posted on Feb, 16 2015 @ 01:09 PM
link   
Divide and Conquer.

Well done people, you've fallen for the oldest trick in the book.

posted on Feb, 16 2015 @ 01:11 PM
link   
What's really horrific is that a JV team did this ! What if first string was in play...........why hundreds could've been killed !

posted on Feb, 16 2015 @ 01:12 PM
link   

I'd guess he said extremists rather than ISIS in reference to Boko Haram, Tehrik-I-Taliban, Al Qaeda and all the others as well as ISIS.

You may be right.

But I would say that "flame fanning" has been complained about a lot on ATS...

So I'm confused why the sudden change of heart in this situation.

It seems exactly what the Media is trying to continue to do like they did with the civil unrest in recent times.

Like it or not, there Is a religious component to those groups you mentioned, they're all Muslim. He won't say it: extremist and Muslim in the same sentence. He generalizes as 'religious extremists', not Muslim extremists which they are. My point, he wouldn't have any problem using Christian and extremists in the same sentence, as he did last week.

posted on Feb, 16 2015 @ 01:14 PM
link   

"Their only words were: 'Jesus, help me!' They were killed simply for the fact that they were Christians," Francis said in his native Spanish, departing from the Italian he uses at most formal events.

So they were killed only because they were Christians? So the Muslims they have killed were because they were Muslims and the Japanese they killed were because they were Japanese. By the looks of it ISIS could care less what faith you follow or what nation you are from they seem to be killing for shock value.
Besides why does the faith of these poor people even need to be mentioned isn't being called Egyptian citizens good enough?

posted on Feb, 16 2015 @ 01:16 PM
link   
Can we go kill them now?
OH wait not with the ROEs used...

posted on Feb, 16 2015 @ 01:17 PM
link   

Context was important in those comments imo.

I didn't hear him say they were Christians...

He said people use Religion for their mission like they did in the age of the Crusades etc.

At least that's the context I took it as.

posted on Feb, 16 2015 @ 01:18 PM
link   
it matters if they were beheaded for being Christians or Egyptians.
if isis said they killed them because of their Christian faith, the white house should have called them Christians.
if isis said they killed them because they were Egyptians then the white house did the right thing.

but the white house didn't do the right thing, the video plainly states that they were killed for,

"Safety for you crusaders is something you can only wish for."

and

'The people of the cross, followers of the hostile Egyptian church.'

to think they were killed for any other reason after reading that is ignorant.

edit on 16-2-2015 by hounddoghowlie because: (no reason given)

ETA: here is what is being reported that was said and a caption in the video in several sources.

A caption on the five-minute video read: "The people of the cross, followers of the hostile Egyptian church." Before the killings, one of the militants stood with a knife in his hand and said: "Safety for you crusaders is something you can only wish for."

edit on 16-2-2015 by hounddoghowlie because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 16 2015 @ 01:19 PM
link   
a reply to: CharlieSpeirs

Charlie, I don't think this is a divide and conquer tactic, in any respect. Looks more like a rally round the flag tactic for us (U.S.) to rationalize possible boots on the ground.

posted on Feb, 16 2015 @ 01:22 PM
link   

Because it's all about who can scream "persecution" the loudest from their comfy Western living room.

That's the bottom line...

Why should the SECULAR federal government feed this religious hatred that is well in its way in this country? Why should the US government specify the religion of the people who were slain OR the religion of the murderers?

Because it doesn't matter.

Saying they were killed BECAUSE they were Christian sounds eerily like "hate crime" legislation, doesn't it? I thought you guys HATED the idea of hate crimes!?!?! I guess when the victim is Christian, it's different, huh?

posted on Feb, 16 2015 @ 01:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: buster2010

So they were killed only because they were Christians? So the Muslims they have killed were because they were Muslims and the Japanese they killed were because they were Japanese. By the looks of it ISIS could care less what faith you follow or what nation you are from they seem to be killing for shock value.
Besides why does the faith of these poor people even need to be mentioned isn't being called Egyptian citizens good enough?

Because they were weren't killed just for being Egyptian, but because they were 'people of the cross'.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join