It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

-18 degrees...I live in NYS THIS was the temp this morning!

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 16 2015 @ 10:49 AM
link   
a reply to: SkepticOverlord

You almost had me feeling sorry for you there for a second with the skeeters, but nah, nope. It didn't work. Nice try though, SO.

OP, I live upstairs from you so to speak. It was -27 Celsius here this morning and is going up to a balmy -14 before dropping to -22 at suppertime.

The only way for me to survive in c-c-c-cold C-C-Canadabrrrr, is to view such sites as this.

posted on Feb, 16 2015 @ 10:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: Eunuchorn

originally posted by: DjembeJedi

.. Secondly WHERE should I move to? lol

Southern California & north Texas are the only viable places left, imo. Weather wise.

I live in Dallas (North Texas) and we went from 70 degrees yesterday to 30 degrees today! Windy, rainy, icky!!

If you really want to move to warmer weather I used to live in Hawaii. Perfect place to go. Beautiful sunsets, gorgeous beaches....(Okay, why am I crying now?)

posted on Feb, 16 2015 @ 10:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

originally posted by: AzureSky
I'm in Newfoundland. The snow capital of canada.

You guys were just featured on BBC America's Million Dollar Critic.

St. John's looked like a neat place but there is no way I would go there in the winter.

I don't blame you. This is only my second winter here, apparently it's never been as bad as the last few years.
Its a beautiful place, lots of culture, very nice people (generally speaking)

But people get hit by cars here all the time, insurances rates suck, and 4x4 is your best friend if you can afford a vehicle with it. I pretty much have a tunnel for a walkway

edit on 16/2/15 by AzureSky because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 16 2015 @ 10:59 AM
link   
a reply to: havok

I looked up the conversion..80 mph is about 128 kph.
Yeah, that's too fast for snow. Anything that's below -20 is generally safe at 80 or 100 kph (50 or 60 mph).
Once I'm on a highway, I just judge by what speed the other vehicles are doing.

Having really good tread is a must, and they're talking about changing our tire laws up here - making us get real winter tires.
A lot of us up here run all seasons or mud n snow. Apparently they're not as good on slick surfaces and the proper winter tires handle cold slick surfaces better.
I've always run mud n snows on a 4x4 with no issues, tires are expensive at $200 + each. I guess we'll now be getting an extra set of rims to go with the new winter tires - then they can just be changed at home, instead of lining up at a tire shop to switch over rims.

posted on Feb, 16 2015 @ 11:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse
I don't think it is bad that it is so cold there, after all it is better you have the cold than us. We have our own freezing cold weather coming this coming week, it will probably be over twenty below here again. I hate when our furnace won't shut up, I should put a boiler in next time I have to replace the furnace. But oil boilers aren't that efficient.

Last winter, we (myself and my brother, a pro HVAC guy) got my oil boiler up to 87% efficiency- and it's just an off the shelf boiler running a slightly modified beckett.
There's a reason just about everyone this far north runs them.

Boilers can be far more efficient than most people give them credit for- you just have to actually tune the damn things, and bend a few of the rules. Mine is not to code- code requires it to waste more heat so that if there's a problem, there is no chance of it flooding the house with exhaust gas. In my case, it simply won't fire if there's a problem- which has its own set of drawbacks... like no heat.

What you really want is a wood fired boiler with underground thermal storage, and an extra set of hands to feed it wood.

posted on Feb, 16 2015 @ 11:06 AM
link   
a reply to: DjembeJedi

Considering that we are experiencing the longest most stable climate the world has ever experienced i would say that we should expect the weather to start getting way crazier at some point and it has nothing to do with humans.

posted on Feb, 16 2015 @ 12:42 PM
link   
-20 with the windchill here in southern Maine at the moment. Gotta love winter in New England.

posted on Feb, 16 2015 @ 12:46 PM
link   
Some places in New Brunswick have snow drifts over 10 feet high and -20 temperatures.

This is insane. Its mild today here in St John's. We dodged the last storm, it went up through the mainland, and labrador. Buried them.

posted on Feb, 16 2015 @ 12:49 PM
link   
It seems as if we have all switched weather. By far one of the lamest winters up here in Alaska. So up and down! As of right now it is 46 degrees and i can see about 80% of the grass in my yard now

a reply to: AzureSky

posted on Feb, 16 2015 @ 01:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: lordcomac

originally posted by: rickymouse
I don't think it is bad that it is so cold there, after all it is better you have the cold than us. We have our own freezing cold weather coming this coming week, it will probably be over twenty below here again. I hate when our furnace won't shut up, I should put a boiler in next time I have to replace the furnace. But oil boilers aren't that efficient.

Last winter, we (myself and my brother, a pro HVAC guy) got my oil boiler up to 87% efficiency- and it's just an off the shelf boiler running a slightly modified beckett.
There's a reason just about everyone this far north runs them.

Boilers can be far more efficient than most people give them credit for- you just have to actually tune the damn things, and bend a few of the rules. Mine is not to code- code requires it to waste more heat so that if there's a problem, there is no chance of it flooding the house with exhaust gas. In my case, it simply won't fire if there's a problem- which has its own set of drawbacks... like no heat.

What you really want is a wood fired boiler with underground thermal storage, and an extra set of hands to feed it wood.

I have a kitchen wood cookstove and it will heat our house down to twenty below. We have a newer house with six inch walls and the wood cookstove uses one small chunk of wood every half hour to forty five minutes. The chunk is equivalent to a piece of four inch round about fourteen inches long.

The drawback is that you need to get up and feed it every thirty to forty five minutes, it takes about a minute to put the wood in. It will keep our two thousand square foot two story house at about seventy two degrees or warmer. We set the thermostat for the furnace down in the day and set it up to sixty eight again before going to bed. The furnace kicks on around two to three hours after the last piece of wood is put in.

Any soot forms in the stove so I clean it out every couple of days and I do the pipe about once every two or three weeks. Right now I have two beets in the oven cooking, first time I ever roasted beets. We cook a lot in that stove and it's always preheated. Leftovers are heated quickly.

I need the exercise anyway so feeding it every half hour or so is actually good for my health. I have the computer upstairs and smoke in the basement so I move around in the winter a lot.

posted on Feb, 16 2015 @ 01:41 PM
link   
a reply to: notsosunny

I went to köln this weekend, go lord you Europeans can drink.

Great weather for parades and drinking.
edit on 16-2-2015 by Irishhaf because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 16 2015 @ 01:52 PM
link   
Wood heat is cheap, but it is annoying to keep up on- especially when you find yourself working 14+ hour days in the winter. After a few days, you just don't have the time to bring the place up to temp enough for it to coast through the next day.

My home is older- thin walls that weren't insulated at all when I moved in (and were poorly insulated since), etc. But I got new windows last year, which makes a huge difference. A properly built structure is where it's at. Can't wait to have one.

Once I move again, I'm going to look into building a rocket stove wood boiler to heat a large underground thermal storage container.

posted on Feb, 16 2015 @ 01:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: texasgirl

Southern California & north Texas are the only viable places left, imo. Weather wise.

I live in Dallas (North Texas) and we went from 70 degrees yesterday to 30 degrees today! Windy, rainy, icky!!

If you really want to move to warmer weather I used to live in Hawaii. Perfect place to go. Beautiful sunsets, gorgeous beaches....(Okay, why am I crying now?)

Someone actually mentioned north Texas weather in another thread after I posted that, lol. Talking about being in shorts the other day.

I grew up in Lucas, outside of Dallas. I worked on a cruiseship in Hawaii for 4 months back in 09, & yes, it is the only place even close to Socal wrather, if not better on average. I currently live in LA area.

I want to move to Austin area soon, is that further north than Dallas? Ever been there?

posted on Feb, 16 2015 @ 02:27 PM
link   
Anywhere close to the eastern seaboard of North America isn't going to be great in winter (unless it's south of Virginia).

If it's a stable, temperate climate you're looking for...Britain's your Mecca.

This must be God's designer country for minimal temperature fluctuation.

Rarely does it drop below zero in winter, or go above 30 in summer.

It ought to be a cold country because of its northerly location, but the Gulf Stream acts like a central heating system.

This is planet Earth's Goldilocks zone.

America is either ridiculously hot or cold, it seems to me.

posted on Feb, 16 2015 @ 02:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: texasgirl

Someone actually mentioned north Texas weather in another thread after I posted that, lol. Talking about being in shorts the other day.

I grew up in Lucas, outside of Dallas. I worked on a cruiseship in Hawaii for 4 months back in 09, & yes, it is the only place even close to Socal wrather, if not better on average. I currently live in LA area.

I want to move to Austin area soon, is that further north than Dallas? Ever been there?

Austin is a neat city and is about 4 1/2 hours south of Dallas. It's fun to visit and much cheaper to live than LA. You'd like it.
edit on 16-2-2015 by texasgirl because: Added more

posted on Feb, 16 2015 @ 06:07 PM
link   
Below zero in Rhode Island too and more damned snow! The streets in some areas are piled up over my head! New Englander's are used to dealing with snow, but we have had one storm right after another and another...it's enough now! LOL

posted on Feb, 16 2015 @ 06:16 PM
link   
Oh you Americans and Canadians why are you so greedy. Our winter over the hear the UK has been an absolute shocker. Send me the cold weather I'll take it from you. This will make you laugh though, we had a cold snap a little while back and the news was saying something like 'terrible conditions with snow accumulating to about 8cm in some areas'
8 centimetres is roughly about 3 inches lol

Yes you read that right 3 inches of snow is classed as terrible conditions lol

posted on Feb, 16 2015 @ 06:22 PM
link   
It is supposed to be -16F on Thursday.

posted on Feb, 16 2015 @ 06:36 PM
link   
a reply to: DjembeJedi

Does it make any sense that where i live it feels like its getting warmer? White Christmas is a thing of the past. There was very little ice this year (in my specific area in a city which is right next to the coast) and last year there was none. I know this because I live at the top of a steep hill and I freak out when i have to walk down it in the morning when its covered in ice! But the past few years this just hasn't rung true. We've had a little snow but as i live near the coast it doesn't lie here long. I mean there may be some ice during the night but its gone by time i am out to work say 8am-9am.

I just find this weird. I live in Scotland. All my days ive been dodging ice.

posted on Feb, 16 2015 @ 08:27 PM
link   
We're in Austin Texas and it's about 40 degrees outside with some rain expected tonight. It will be in the 60's by Thursday and clear. You're right and it's time to move to Texas.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join