It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Warning Over TV Which Listens In On Users !

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 9 2015 @ 08:55 AM
link   
a reply to: Denoli

With the right malicious code installed, any phone or computer can listen and record your voice.

I doubt voice to text would be useful because it makes so many mistakes. The mistakes are noise for the pattern matching algorithms.

Therefore I'm doubting the veracity of this. I'm going to have to see more.

posted on Feb, 9 2015 @ 08:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: ColeYounger
a reply to: AgentSmith

The problem is the hysterical Twitter/Blog mobs are too dim to engage their brains before fingers hit the keyboard.

What brains?

Glass houses and all that.

posted on Feb, 9 2015 @ 09:04 AM
link   
This is nothing to worry about. If you have an XBox 360 or XBox One, your kinect accessory already does all of that. No Samsung TV needed.

posted on Feb, 9 2015 @ 09:11 AM
link   
Still find it astonishing that people don't seem to have paid attention to the fact you have to be pushing and holding the 'speak' button for anything to be sent.

And if you're still paranoid then don't connect the TV to the Internet.

And if even then you're still paranoid, go see a shrink - like seriously.

posted on Feb, 9 2015 @ 09:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: AgentSmith
Still find it astonishing that people don't seem to have paid attention to the fact you have to be pushing and holding the 'speak' button for anything to be sent.

And if you're still paranoid then don't connect the TV to the Internet.

And if even then you're still paranoid, go see a shrink - like seriously.

Critical thinking is not required around these parts. It's read two sentences>anger>smash keyboard.

posted on Feb, 9 2015 @ 09:23 AM
link   
a reply to: Aleister

I know. When I went to make coffee just now I called the brewer Mr. Coffee, sir. Just in case. I also said thank you and and when I bumped in the dining room table just now I said excuse me. What's next ? TVs that have cameras to watch us?
Is this for real? I didn't click the link yet. I'm seeing what you guys say first.

posted on Feb, 9 2015 @ 09:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: AutumnWitch657
a reply to: Aleister

I know. When I went to make coffee just now I called the brewer Mr. Coffee, sir. Just in case. I also said thank you and and when I bumped in the dining room table just now I said excuse me. What's next ? TVs that have cameras to watch us?
Is this for real? I didn't click the link yet. I'm seeing what you guys say first.
Hate to put more fuel on your conspiracy fire, but any TV that has "Gesture Control" already has a camera in it.

posted on Feb, 9 2015 @ 09:30 AM
link   
a reply to: Shakawkaw

Yeah it's getting more and more like Twitter, but not quite as bad yet.
Anyway, the microphone is in the remote control and not the TV - so you could ditch the 'Smart' remote and just use the standard IR one without the microphone (you can on my LG anyway). If people spent less time getting hysterical because Twitter and some crappy blogs said so and more time actually learning for themselves they'd probably solve their blood pressure problems and get to sleep at night.
Also it's funny how so many people suffer from delusions of grandeur and think that anyone is interested in them or their lives.

posted on Feb, 9 2015 @ 09:32 AM
link   
a reply to: InverseLookingGlass

Wouldn't there need to be a microphone somewhere.? Older computers won't have one. But all new ones come skype ready with camera and microphone.

posted on Feb, 9 2015 @ 09:34 AM
link   
a reply to: ScientificRailgun

I'm disconnecting the Wii right now. I have a gesture for them and its not a very polite one either.

posted on Feb, 9 2015 @ 09:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: AutumnWitch657

I'm disconnecting the Wii right now. I have a gesture for them and its not a very polite one either.

If you learned how the Wii works before getting hysterical you'd know that the camera is in the Wiimote, it picks up the InfraRed lights on the bar you stick on your TV screen and transmits it over Bluetooth to the Wii. It also has gyroscopes and accelerometers in it to detect broader movement and orientation when not pointing it directly at the screen.

WiiMote camera

I'm glad I actually understand how the things in the world work around us and am willing to research if I don't, it saves me pooping my pants every time the collective retardation of Twitter goes into full effect.

EDIT TO ADD:

And for anyone interesting in learning how it works and why it's so incredibly funny that someone think's their Wii camera is spying on them (forgetting it's in the remote):

The Wii Remote includes a 128x96 monochrome camera with built-in image processing. The camera looks through an infrared pass filter in the remote's plastic casing. The camera's built-in image processing is capable of tracking up to 4 moving objects, and these data are the only data available to the host. Raw pixel data is not available to the host, so the camera cannot be used to take a conventional picture. The built-in processor uses 8x subpixel analysis to provide 1024x768 resolution for the tracked points. The Sensor Bar that comes with the Wii includes two IR LED clusters at each end, which are tracked by the Wii Remote to provide pointing information. The distance between the centers of the LED clusters is 20 cm (as measured on one unit).

Wiimote info

In other words, the camera resolution is ridiculously low and it only processes where the IR lights are, it can't actually 'see'.

This is what it 'sees', this guy has got the Wiimote stuck under the monitor facing him and he's attached IR LEDs to his glasses so it can track head movements for when playing games / experimenting with VR / etc.

edit on 9-2-2015 by AgentSmith because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2015 @ 09:44 AM
link   
At least they tell the consumer. I'm really surprised they did.

Other than that.... I'm smart, I don't need all those "smart" devices. It really seems to be inviting trouble that I'm sure we cannot even imagine.. And I can imagine a lot.

link   
a reply to: Denoli

This is great, good find, if you read between the lines just a little you can see all kinds of scary things that can be done with this let alone all your other gadgets.

People today have to assume that there is always someone watching and listening where ever you are...now in your own home... soon to be in your own head.

The saying " better to fight and die on your feet then serve on your knees " won't be an option much longer, one day we will wake up and be knocked to our knees without so much as a whimper.

link   
a reply to: AgentSmith

People are quick to fear these days. When presented with something that could possibly "spy" on them (however ludicrous it is), the immediate reaction is to OVER react. Soon people are duct-taping every possible hole on their Keurig machines.

posted on Feb, 9 2015 @ 09:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: Ellie Sagan
At least they tell the consumer. I'm really surprised they did.

Why? There's nothing to hide and nothing sinister, just people pooping themselves because they don't understand as usual.

Other than that.... I'm smart, I don't need all those "smart" devices. It really seems to be inviting trouble that I'm sure we cannot even imagine.. And I can imagine a lot.

Actually I agree with you, the more complicated something is the greater the chance of an exploitable flaw being introduced, and on top of that our reliance on technology makes us more and more vulnerable. But I have enough technical knowledge to not worry too much and enjoy what I can before it becomes something even I consider a real problem.

posted on Feb, 9 2015 @ 09:53 AM
link   

Quite! And it always makes me laugh that there are people on here convinced the Government want to monitor them, yet they discuss all of this on a forum which has no secure server facility, so anywhere along the line anyone could be watching what they're reading and writing.

posted on Feb, 9 2015 @ 09:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: AgentSmith

Quite! And it always makes me laugh that there are people on here convinced the Government want to monitor them, yet they discuss all of this on a forum which has no secure server facility, so anywhere along the line anyone could be watching what they're reading and writing.
Most of whom don't even know what a proxy is, or even how to utilize one.

posted on Feb, 9 2015 @ 10:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: IShotMyLastMuse
Not buying this TV is now on the top of my list.
Sheesh can you guys imagine having to watch what you say because FURNITURE might be listening?

This has been covered last year in ATS threads.
Yes, there are other things spying on you in your home.

Ten household appliances spying on you in your home...

posted on Feb, 9 2015 @ 10:13 AM
link   
Time for some of you guys to smash your windows, because THEY may be listening to you by bouncing a laser beam off your window and demodulating the reflection, AS WELL as be WATCHING you through the window!

Oh nooooosss, what do we do now? *sniff sniff*

Here's the crude proof of concept way (i've done it with a laser pointer and a photo resistor before):

(skip to about 4:00 to see the actual spying concept)

And if you don't want to get caught, you just use an IR laser which can't be seen, a photo transistor (and maybe make a small pre-amp) and a normal digital camera to visualise the beam so you can aim it.

Seriously, where do you draw the line?

Here's today's TOP TIP - spend less time on Twitter and forums collectively panicking and try LEARNING and RESEARCHING.
edit on 9-2-2015 by AgentSmith because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2015 @ 10:25 AM
link   
I do not get it, i mean how the hell that is legal ??
If that is legal then it should be written in the dang box with huge letters, "WE SPY YOU TROUGH THIS TECH", see how many would get that sh1t.
I would be even more furious if i bought samsung and later learnd this new modification in it...

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join