It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Warning Over TV Which Listens In On Users !

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 9 2015 @ 12:28 PM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

And they keep people distracted with absolute nonsense so they don't look into the surveillance/care about the surveillance.

Remember, nothing is a secret. They know everything about everyone, no matter how sacred. And the funny thing is, through mediums like the internet, social media, we literally gave up all our secrets, willingly. We were conquered not by conquest, but by consent.

Blame the gov no doubt, but the blame is also within ourselves, we let it get this far and we'll only let it get bigger.

posted on Feb, 9 2015 @ 12:28 PM
link   
a reply to: ScientificRailgun

Everything we use is digital now.

Its okay though, you can't see the computer inside, right?

posted on Feb, 9 2015 @ 12:37 PM
link   
a reply to: Yeahkeepwatchingme

And the funny thing is, through mediums like the internet, social media, we literally gave up all our secrets, willingly. We were conquered not by conquest, but by consent.

Roger that. Especially that.

posted on Feb, 9 2015 @ 12:37 PM
link   
a reply to: ScientificRailgun

And nobody is saying go live in a cave, We just have to get smarter than them with counter measures

posted on Feb, 9 2015 @ 01:03 PM
link   
a reply to: Denoli

I have a Samsung smart TV staring at me right now. And there is lots of sex.

Eta: They can nose into my sh#t all they like. I don't care.
edit on 9-2-2015 by Wide-Eyes because: to add stuff

posted on Feb, 9 2015 @ 01:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: AgentSmith
A little bit blown out of proportion as usual.
For one thing, you can disable the feature or just ensure the TV does not have an Internet connection and secondly - it's another case of cherry picking combined with not understanding how the TV works.

The hysteria is making it sound like the TV transmits a constant stream of everything happening in the room, only it doesn't. You have to have the feature activated, the Internet connected and here's the kicker - you have to press a button on the remote while you speak much like on a walkie talkie. It's the same as on my LG TV.

The remote is here, the button you have to press to send audio is near the top and looks like a microphone.

Samsung Smart TV remote

This is a video showing how the feature works:

They made the 'mistake' of publishing a very honest and literal privacy policy and in context it's talking about the data sent when you issue a command. The problem is the hysterical Twitter/Blog mobs are too dim to engage their brains before fingers hit the keyboard.
I.e. if you press the button while saying 'find me an action movie' while Aunt Gertrude is talking about her piles in the background then the entire stream of audio while the button is pressed will be sent, including your voice command and Aunt Gertrude's piles comments.

If you're paranoid about this then you better stop calling anyone on the phone, in case you can't control your mouth and start talking about something you don't want them to hear - because it's basically the same apart from whatever you say I doubt Samsung or their voice recognition partner's automated system gives two hoots what you're talking about. They don't even keep a copy of the audio so it wouldn't be admissible as any type of evidence and you'd have to be a retard to say something compromising while having your finger on the push to talk button anyway.

Ok say YOU have to hit a button to talk, but what if an agency was spying on you, would they be able to activate that button remotely? If they did would you know they activated it?

posted on Feb, 9 2015 @ 02:58 PM
link   

Still find it astonishing that people don't seem to have paid attention to the fact you have to be pushing and holding the 'speak' button for anything to be sent.

And if you're still paranoid then don't connect the TV to the Internet.

And if even then you're still paranoid, go see a shrink - like seriously.

How about make it optional if customer want such a useless function for a TV in a first dang place (or even google).

I have trust issues, do i have to be mental because of it?

P.S. I do not know much about all that "smart tech" stuff, i try to avoid em in a first place, no need to get serious if i think so differently than you, just take it or leave it.

posted on Feb, 9 2015 @ 03:09 PM
link   

Well I'm glad I don't have a smart tv. I have a Samsung but I made it a point to buy the stripped down version. You know, the one that's just a tv. All i needed was a good quality display, and that it delivered on and nothing more. I can talk # while watching elections and not have to worry about someone knocking at my door next week

posted on Feb, 9 2015 @ 03:44 PM
link   
People won't have to put their drama all over facebook.

the TV will do it automatically

posted on Feb, 9 2015 @ 06:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: acackohfcc
People won't have to put their drama all over facebook.

the TV will do it automatically

Maybe they can arrange to have their Samsung-collected data be automatically transferred to their social media sites!

They will have to try a bit harder to get what they want to know about our household. No cell phones or smart tv here and no social media. I'm currently searching for a new fridge that will not outpace my mental capacity and report my ice cream consumption.

posted on Feb, 9 2015 @ 07:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr
a reply to: Yeahkeepwatchingme

And the funny thing is, through mediums like the internet, social media, we literally gave up all our secrets, willingly. We were conquered not by conquest, but by consent.

Roger that. Especially that.

Agreed, although I differ from the willingly bit at a certain time and place. It just took a while for most people, and that includes me to realise that the internet is anything but secure, despite the online assurances, the useless certificates, or why your TV wants to go to 'bedibyes' all of it's own because of no activity from the user..WTF, crazy stuff, the TV is not 'off' it's in standby.

posted on Feb, 9 2015 @ 07:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: weirdguy
What about if I have sex with the tv on? Not that I have sex, but if I did I would want the tv on.
That way the neighbours would think I'm just playing call of duty. The poor tv would need some counselling I think.

The TV automatically will advise you to switch to "Doggie Style" so that both of you won't miss a moment of the propaganda.

posted on Feb, 10 2015 @ 02:33 AM
link   

I have a suggestion for corporations that are adamant about spying on us and collecting our data in our own private premises: how about we get "associated texts and other usage data" from your Corporation HQ so that we can evaluate the performance of your company and provide you with suggestions to make our experience of your products better.

Imagine that...

posted on Feb, 10 2015 @ 02:36 AM
link   
a reply to: romilo

It IS optional, you can disable it, you can not use it BY NOT PRESSING THE BUTTON and you can NOT connect the TV to the Internet. It's so simple it hurts.

posted on Feb, 10 2015 @ 02:40 AM
link   
a reply to: Dark Ghost

They're ONLY collecting what YOU CHOOSE to send when you press the PRESS TO TALK BUTTON. It's a bit like if you ring any helpline that records it's calls, anything you say and any sounds in the room will be recorded. Only Samsung are ONLY keeping the transcription NOT the audio and it's going to be things like "find me an action movie".
The microphone isn't even on the TV it's on the REMOTE.

posted on Feb, 10 2015 @ 02:45 AM
link   
a reply to: mahatche

Use a different remote or don't connect the Internet if your that paranoid, the microphone is in the remote. Throw away the contents of your house because it could be bugged, remove any windows and board them up so no one can use a laser mike or look in and never go out, staying inside sucking your thumb if you're that paranoid.

posted on Feb, 10 2015 @ 07:12 AM
link   

a reply to: Dark Ghost

They're ONLY collecting what YOU CHOOSE to send when you press the PRESS TO TALK BUTTON. It's a bit like if you ring any helpline that records it's calls, anything you say and any sounds in the room will be recorded. Only Samsung are ONLY keeping the transcription NOT the audio and it's going to be things like "find me an action movie".
The microphone isn't even on the TV it's on the REMOTE.

Again

Many Samsung "SmartTVs" come equipped with voice recognition, which allows you to bark commands at your TV. Since the television is always listening for your voice, Samsung has warned its SmartTV customers that every word is being captured and sent over the Internet.
"Please be aware that if your spoken words include personal or other sensitive information, that information will be among the data captured and transmitted to a third party through your use of Voice Recognition," Samsung posted in its SmartTV privacy policy.

money.cnn.com...

posted on Feb, 10 2015 @ 07:48 AM
link   
a reply to: Havox

Oh no the news said it so it must be true!!! Funny how if CNN say that 9/11 was by terrorists they're government sponsored lying scum but as soon as they say your TV is listening to you they're the biggest authority out there and every word taken at face value!

More BS, it isn't sending every word you say over the Internet at all and that's not what Samsung have said - it's what some Internet twits have interpreted as because they're too dimwitted to understand and/or just like to create a fuss over nothing and get in on the vast amount of traffic that any Internet based hysteria provides.

What Samsung have actually said is:

“Samsung takes consumer privacy very seriously. In all of our Smart TVs we employ industry-standard security safeguards and practices, including data encryption, to secure consumers’ personal information and prevent unauthorized collection or use.

Voice recognition, which allows the user to control the TV using voice commands, is a Samsung Smart TV feature, which can be activated or deactivated by the user. The TV owner can also disconnect the TV from the Wi-Fi network. Should consumers enable the voice recognition capability, the voice data consists of TV commands, or search sentences, only. Users can easily recognize if the voice recognition feature is activated because a microphone icon appears on the screen.

Samsung does not retain voice data or sell it to third parties. If a consumer consents and uses the voice recognition feature, voice data is provided to a third party during a requested voice command search. At that time, the voice data is sent to a server, which searches for the requested content then returns the desired content to the TV.

Samsung encourages consumers to contact the company directly with any product concerns or questions at 1-800-SAMSUNG.”

bgr.com...

IF and I repeat IF you have it configured to respond to 'Hi TV' then it monitor's for THAT PHRASE only. It doesn't get sent everywhere and the processing is done locally. It will ONLY then send any more complex speech requests after it has started speech recognition and it displays an icon on the screen to show it's listening.

The same as on my smart watch, if you don't have a connection it will respond to 'OK Google' to ENABLE voice recognition mode (the initial keyword detection is done at a lower level and literally monitors for the phrase) then immediately tell you there is no connection as it starts the voice recognition process. The only thing the watch or the TV 'listens' for is the phrase, it doesn't get sent anywhere, it's not recording and it's 'monitoring' you in the loosest sense possible.

It helps to learn how it actually works, rather than be spoonfed BS by media outlets that have no clue frankly. I'm actually surprised how easily led some people are on this site, considering they like to think themselves to be informed and 'not like the dump sheeple'. Yet as soon some Twitter dimwits and crappy Internet blogs get on the case everyone stands around biting their nails freaking out, pathetic!

posted on Feb, 10 2015 @ 09:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: Havox

Again

"Please be aware that if your spoken words include personal or other sensitive information, that information will be among the data captured and transmitted to a third party through your use of Voice Recognition," Samsung posted in its SmartTV privacy policy

That paragraph is correct as per the Samsung warning as seen below, and nothing to do with any press, 'imagination'

LGsmart got into a stink with their technology in 2013, although in their case, it seems there was no alert to users.

edit on 10-2-2015 by smurfy because: video.

posted on Feb, 10 2015 @ 10:09 AM
link   
a reply to: smurfy

Hello? McFly? The key part is "through your use of Voice Recognition" - if it isn't activated (i.e. you haven't pressed and held the button down or enabled and said the hot phrase) then it's not transmitting anything to anyone or even 'listening'!

Get it into your heads - THE TV DOES NOT SIT THERE LISTENING AND FORWARDING EVERYTHING YOU ARE SAYING.

IF you are USING the voice recognition, and I mean actually using it so it's LISTENING because YOU activated it and the little icon is sat there waiting for you to speak then OBVIOUSLY anything you say is going to go to the cloud service that processes speech recognition OTHERWISE IT COULDN'T WORK.

It's the same as putting a warning with a phone - "Please be aware that when making a phone call everything you say and anyone says in the background will be heard the other end". It's a very literal definition but some people are too retarded to actually understand it or bother listening to anyone that actually understands this stuff.

If someone wrote this bloody obvious warning on a PHONE - that when USING the PHONE any sensitive information you say or is in the background will be transmitted to the person you are calling - would you then have a fit, tweet about it and throw it away shaking because you think 'they' are going to listen to you?

And if you don't like it TURN OFF THE FEATURE and/or UNPLUG IT FROM THE INTERNET.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join