It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Warning Over TV Which Listens In On Users !

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+5 more 
posted on Feb, 9 2015 @ 06:18 AM
link   
Samsung has warned people against discussing sensitive and private information in the vicinity of its new smart televisions - because it will be translated into text and stored in a central computer.

news.sky.com...

We'll I just don't see the need for this tv whatsoever . Is amazes me as to the low company's go just to mine all our info ,
This is the best bit .

"While Samsung will not collect your spoken word, Samsung may still collect associated texts and other usage data so that we can evaluate the performance of the feature and improve it."

Thoughts ?

+7 more 
posted on Feb, 9 2015 @ 06:25 AM
link   
a reply to: Denoli

yeah sounds like a book i read once apon a time

+3 more 
posted on Feb, 9 2015 @ 06:33 AM
link   
What about if I have sex with the tv on? Not that I have sex, but if I did I would want the tv on.
That way the neighbours would think I'm just playing call of duty. The poor tv would need some counselling I think.

+3 more 
link   

Thoughts ? ...

Two Words:

"Boycott Samsung"

+10 more 
link   
Not buying this TV is now on the top of my list.
Sheesh can you guys imagine having to watch what you say because FURNITURE might be listening?

posted on Feb, 9 2015 @ 06:34 AM
link   

posted on Feb, 9 2015 @ 06:37 AM
link   
Just wonder how many smart TVs have this already installed ?
Just hope people know what there buying ,
And I don't think they will tell you at point of sale too.
I'm pretty shocked they have revealed this tbh .

posted on Feb, 9 2015 @ 06:39 AM
link   
Well, don't buy TVs that do this.

The big technology companies - Google, Apple, Samsung etc hold so much data about consumers that it makes even the most ambitions government attempts to "spy" on their citizenry look like amateurs.

To be honest, I trust government to hold data on me more than I trust Apple, or Google.

Regards

posted on Feb, 9 2015 @ 06:43 AM
link   
Just marry the TV and get it over with. Our appliances are now spies? Not only the walls, but the furniture has ears? What kind of mind thought this up, and then what kind of executives does Samsung (and other companies) have that would go ahead and approve this? Ones who don't have their own TV sets in their homes, that's for sure. Gotta cut this post short, my kitchen sink is calling me and it sounds p.o.'ed.
edit on 9-2-2015 by Aleister because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2015 @ 06:45 AM
link   

link   
The benefits of the connected generation to Big Brother!

As everything we use day to day in the home gets "connected", the more ways the government agencies have to spy on us all, without even having to covertly put any means in place themselves.

And remember folks, only terrorists and criminals would want to use encryption!

link   
It's not a hidden feature, so i see no problem with this.

In the future it could be used for speech recognition, or a virtual speech bot to have full conversations with, not that i care about any of them, but still kind of interesting.

posted on Feb, 9 2015 @ 06:47 AM
link   

posted on Feb, 9 2015 @ 06:52 AM
link   

+2 more 
posted on Feb, 9 2015 @ 07:08 AM
link   
A little bit blown out of proportion as usual.
For one thing, you can disable the feature or just ensure the TV does not have an Internet connection and secondly - it's another case of cherry picking combined with not understanding how the TV works.

The hysteria is making it sound like the TV transmits a constant stream of everything happening in the room, only it doesn't. You have to have the feature activated, the Internet connected and here's the kicker - you have to press a button on the remote while you speak much like on a walkie talkie. It's the same as on my LG TV.

The remote is here, the button you have to press to send audio is near the top and looks like a microphone.

Samsung Smart TV remote

This is a video showing how the feature works:

They made the 'mistake' of publishing a very honest and literal privacy policy and in context it's talking about the data sent when you issue a command. The problem is the hysterical Twitter/Blog mobs are too dim to engage their brains before fingers hit the keyboard.
I.e. if you press the button while saying 'find me an action movie' while Aunt Gertrude is talking about her piles in the background then the entire stream of audio while the button is pressed will be sent, including your voice command and Aunt Gertrude's piles comments.

If you're paranoid about this then you better stop calling anyone on the phone, in case you can't control your mouth and start talking about something you don't want them to hear - because it's basically the same apart from whatever you say I doubt Samsung or their voice recognition partner's automated system gives two hoots what you're talking about. They don't even keep a copy of the audio so it wouldn't be admissible as any type of evidence and you'd have to be a retard to say something compromising while having your finger on the push to talk button anyway.

posted on Feb, 9 2015 @ 07:15 AM
link   
a reply to: AgentSmith

The problem is the hysterical Twitter/Blog mobs are too dim to engage their brains before fingers hit the keyboard.

What brains?

posted on Feb, 9 2015 @ 07:44 AM
link   

As I recall, the new LGs, out last year, have that same feature. But damnit, people most of your smart phone also have that capacity if you have downloaded some of the most common apps. THAT IS WHY THEY ARE FREE!

posted on Feb, 9 2015 @ 08:07 AM
link   

Years ago, a friend of mine told me her grandmother was 'losing it' because she wouldn't get dressed in a bedroom with a TV in it because she said "they can see me." Maybe the grandma was just forward-thinking. Wonder what that friend would say now.

posted on Feb, 9 2015 @ 08:37 AM
link   
So no I have to put Post-Its over my mics as well as my webcam lenses? Sigh...this is gonna take a lotta Post-Its.

I have LG TVs...wonder if they have the same "feature."

This is all getting a little bit out of hand.

a reply to: Aliensun

Oh great. Didn't see this before.

I guess we should assume that all our phones, laptops, tablets, TVs, and any other devices that connect to anything else spy on us. And the capability of being able to turn it off seems to be being removed faster than we can keep up with figuring out how to.
edit on 2/9/2015 by ~Lucidity because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2015 @ 08:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: Britguy
The benefits of the connected generation to Big Brother!

As everything we use day to day in the home gets "connected", the more ways the government agencies have to spy on us all, without even having to covertly put any means in place themselves.

And remember folks, only terrorists and criminals would want to use encryption!

Eh... Samsung isn't the government though. All you have to do is just not buy this tv. Problem solved.
edit on 9-2-2015 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join