It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is "White Privilege?"

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+7 more 
posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 12:46 PM
link   
Yesterday I watched a college student from UMass arguing with another student. Student "A" went right to an ad hominem attack, declaring Student "B" was wrong and demonstrating her "White Privilege."

When Student B objected, Student A said, "See! That proves I'm right!"

I was confused...

So I Googled "white privilege" and found this definition, direct from the www.myholyoke.edu website.

"What is White Privilege?

White privilege is a set of advantages and/or immunities that white people benefit from on a daily basis beyond those common to all others. White privilege can exist without white people's conscious knowledge of its presence and it helps to maintain the racial hierarchy in this country.

The biggest problem with white privilege is the invisibility it maintains to those who benefit from it most. The inability to recognize that many of the advantages whites hold are a direct result of the disadvantages of other people, contributes to the unwillingness of white people, even those who are not overtly racist, to recognize their part in maintaining and benefiting from white supremacy...

White privilege is having the freedom and luxury to fight racism one day and ignore it the next. White privilege exists on an individual, cultural, and institutional level."

The Definition of White Privilege

So "white privilege" is a concept to stereotype, label, and blame "whites" as being racists who are happy perpetuating their "white supremacy."

Brilliant indoctrination and brainwashing strategy.

Create a concept that defines whites as racists, and when they object, declare that their objections to being called "racists" proves they're racists.

Explains a lot.

edit on 25-1-2015 by Jamie1 because: (no reason given)

+12 more 
posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 12:51 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 12:57 PM
link   
a reply to: Jamie1

What is "White Privilege?"

Well that would depend on who you ask.

+3 more 
posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 01:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: Benevolent Heretic
There are about 50 threads on ATS about White Privilege. Here are a few...

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Almost all of the discussion I've seen revolves around debunking whether it exists or not.

That's not the point of this thread.

The point of this thread is the brilliance of the strategy in terms of indoctrination and propaganda principles. It's very reminiscent of Joseph Goebbels.

The added brilliance is including right in definition of "white privilege" the concept that those being discredited and blamed will prove your point if they object to being labeled the "problem."

Super smart. It's what Obama did to Bill Clinton in 2008, followed immediately by his "race" speech in Philadelphia. It set the framework. Anybody who didn't fall into line was a racist.

Very high level indoctrination strategy.

+25 more 
link   

What is white privilege? A bloody myth that's what. I say this as a white man with no diploma, no job, no car, no drivers license to drive if I did have a car, no home and no money. Where the hell is my white privilege? Its just a term that the elite use to keep us divided amongst ourselves.

link   
Just another term used to keep us divided, to keep feeding the hate.

The point of this thread is the brilliance of the strategy in terms of indoctrination and propaganda principles. It's very reminiscent of Joseph Goebbels.

Exactly
edit on 1 25 2015 by stosh64 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 01:05 PM
link   
I am gonna have to give a hand to whomever it was that designed that definition.

I think we should give them a place on the board here at ATS, because what you have just posted is the best example of the common understanding of a Conspiracy Theory; something that is often insidious, and of of which the lack of evidence, is the evidence of its existence.
In short the less people see it/have evidence for it, the more likely it is to exist.

+2 more 
posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 01:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: CagliostroTheGreat

What is white privilege? A bloody myth that's what. I say this as a white man with no diploma, no job, no car, no drivers license to drive if I did have a car, no home and no money. Where the hell is my white privilege? Its just a term that the elite use to keep us divided amongst ourselves.

Well see, you just proved "their" point.

The fact that you think it's a myth shows you're oblivious to your own white privilege and supremacy that you're benefiting from every day. You've now self-identified as part of the problem, and your way of life must be righteously "dismantled."

posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 01:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: Punisher75
I am gonna have to give a hand to whomever it was that designed that definition.

I think we should give them a place on the board here at ATS, because what you have just posted is the best example of the common understanding of a Conspiracy Theory; something that is often insidious, and of of which the lack of evidence, is the evidence of its existence.
In short the less people see it/have evidence for it, the more likely it is to exist.

Yes, it's a brilliant strategy.

Label somebody as a problem. Pre-frame that when they object to being labeled as a problem, it proves they're the problem.

The same thing is done when the term "-phobe" is attached to somebody when labeling them, or calling somebody a "hater" when they disagree.

+50 more 
posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 01:15 PM
link   
Why are you the poster every time I see a race-baiting thread?
Do you enjoy stoking the fire or are you just trying to farm stars by playing on peoples emotions?

Humanity is more than black & white...we're ALL different but in many ways we are also all the SAME.

We're all being played by the media & posts like this tying to keep us small minded, petty & focused on the many minor differences we have to separate us instead of understanding that we have many common interests as well as similar needs & wants.

We're all individuals & every person here has had different life experiences but diversity makes the group stronger not weaker.
edit on 25-1-2015 by coldkidc because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 01:18 PM
link   

Who are "they"? Bigots? Because I tend to ignore bigotry.

posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 01:23 PM
link   
In the world where racism doesn't exist, it would be a myth.

We don't live in that world, racism is very real, rather man made or how ever you want to paint the picture as to why it is around, it is around.

We just over 50 years separated from a civil rights movement that finally had our great nation's gov not systematically put down certain people.
In case you need a history refresher, it wasn't white people.
We still have people alive today that think it never should have happened, that it was fine just the way it was before that.
But ya, it is hard out here for the white guy.

+1 more 
posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 01:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: coldkidc
Why are you the poster every time I see a race-baiting thread?
Do you enjoy stoking the fire or are you just trying to farm stars by playing on peoples emotions?

Humanity is more than black & white...we're ALL different but in many ways we are also all the SAME.

We're all being played by the media & posts like this tying to keep us small minded, petty & focused on the many minor differences we have to separate us instead of understanding that we have many common interests as well as similar needs & wants.

We're all individuals & every person here has had a different life experiences but - diversity makes the group stronger not weaker.

Can you please explain how my OP is "race baiting?"

Thank you for providing a real-time example of the point of this post. You attack me personally for simply exposing what others are trying to do.

Pointing out exactly how academic elitists accuse whites of being racists to promote their own agenda is NOT race baiting.

Those who are coming up with concepts like "white privilege" are the ones doing exactly what you accuse me of doing. Why not email Mt. Holyoke college and tell them?

edit on 25-1-2015 by Jamie1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 01:40 PM
link   
I do believe if George Zimmerman had a Hispanic last name, he would have been found guilty. The national media would also not have made a spectacle out of it. It would have made page 10 news with all the other 'minority on minority' crimes.

And don't get me started on Casey Anthony....

The realprivileged is rich people who can buy the justice system.

posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 01:40 PM
link   

White privilege was a concept used to destroy the black community and its working. An invisible enemy/agenda used to make excuses for peoples problems.

I know several african americans who studied and worked hard and are far more successful than me. I call it the "educated privilege"

posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 01:45 PM
link   
a reply to: Sremmos80

Yes, but here's the insidious nature of it:

1.) It is something that exists even if the people who supposedly benefit from it do nothing to try to perpetuate it and are completely unaware of it.

2.) It can be neatly used to excuse every single failing in the lives of people who are not white.

3.) People are being constantly indoctrinated to believe it's there with no concrete evidence I've ever seen presented aside from skin color and relative success of certain ethnic groups in defiance of any and all other possible explanations.

This can only lead to one possible solution - complete revolution with either the complete subjugation and/or removal of the ethnic group who is currently perceived to be "privileged" by the groups who aren't considered privileged. This will lead to nothing good, and it certainly won't lead to any kind of "equality."

If minorities are so sure that white people have any kind of privilege ... perhaps they ought to look at how our cultural behaviors tend to lead us to successful life outcomes and stop deriding those of you who put those things into practice in your lives for "acting white."

edit on 25-1-2015 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 01:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: Punisher75

Oh it exists. There's hints to it everywhere. Ever hear of racial profiling? Faux News just got caught saying they couldn't tell if someone was bad if their skin was covered. Brown equals bad. I can go on with several other examples.

posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 01:47 PM
link   
"In the world where racism doesn't exist, it would be a myth."

Strawman, No one is denying racism does not exists.

"We don't live in that world, racism is very real, rather man made or how ever you want to paint the picture as to why it is around, it is around."

All are in agreement.

"We just over 50 years separated from a civil rights movement that finally had our great nation's gov not systematically put down certain people."

Evidence of the system working in any particular fashion 50 years ago, is not evidence of some untraceable, and invisible system being in place today. The counter question I would pose is this; How many years have to pass when something ceases to be on a large scale before one can safely assume it is no longer a "Systematic Problem"?

Example: In 1945 The system in place in Germany places Jews in Concentration Camps. in 1946 the system was not in place and has not been since.
The evidence that the system in place in Germany in 1944 (i.e. the Concentration Camps) no longer exists is its very absence.

"In case you need a history refresher, it wasn't white people."

I think we all know which demographic is in view when the subject is called "White Privilege."

"We still have people alive today that think it never should have happened, that it was fine just the way it was before that."

Totally irrelevant to the question the existence to "White Privilege".
I am certain that in 1950 there were still people in Germany who thought Jews should go back into the Camps, However their wish did not and could not make it so.

"But ya, it is hard out here for the white guy."

Sometimes. However I am also sure that the Black Members of Congress, the President, the Senate and the black Mayors all across the U.S. have it hard sometimes to.

posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 01:49 PM
link   
White privilege ....

I am Scottish, Irish, Cherokee, Sioux, English, and Dutch. In that order of strength of the mix.

I am a H.S. dropout. I have roughly 45 credits in college. I have been for the most part successful in my career. I am the highest earner in my family, including extended family "pods" outwards, upwards, and downwards.

Today, I am on unemployment. Went to a food bank two days ago. Had to borrow money to pay rent for February.

Far too many times in the past few weeks, I've been told I am "overqualified" in such a narrow field of information technology, it's downright laughable.

If this is white privilege, I'm certainly glad I'm not anything else.

One thing I am NOT, is a victim. To claim you lack "white privilege", is to proclaim yourself as a victim of something completely outside of your control, which is genetics.

Sorry, I don't buy it.

-NF
edit on 25-1-2015 by nullafides because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 01:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: Jamie1

originally posted by: Benevolent Heretic
There are about 50 threads on ATS about White Privilege. Here are a few...

Almost all of the discussion I've seen revolves around debunking whether it exists or not.

That's not the point of this thread.

The added brilliance is including right in definition of "white privilege" the concept that those being discredited and blamed will prove your point if they object to being labeled the "problem."

Super smart. It's what Obama did to Bill Clinton in 2008, followed immediately by his "race" speech in Philadelphia. It set the framework. Anybody who didn't fall into line was a racist.

Very high level indoctrination strategy.

Its a brilliant strategy and it's part and parcel of the tactics of the Hegelian Dialectic. Through control of language, the Hegelian artisan can dominate and win any argument. They do that by way of definitions and creating a paradigm which uses those definitions to disarm any opposing view.

Another part of the brilliance is that it subtly provides both the foundation and framework for fostering and nurturing resentment and hatred of whites and its become part of the mandatory curriculum in the schools and is drummed into the students at orientations in the Universities.

As a strategy, it can be used to justify any manner of forms of retribution such as endless affirmative action, reparations and ultimately perhaps, confiscatory taxes and taking of property without compensation. And its being used as justification for an open borders policy that favors immigration of "anything" but European whites. In fact, I've heard it argued on the Melissa Harris-Perry show that such immigration policies are the only way to dismantle the institutions of white privilege.

I think it will probably work. And, its working, insidiously, to push "whites" out of the public square, marginalizing them altogether in the end. My wife and I visited a Southwest Texas border town last week and had to go to three restaurants before being served. In these towns, which are predominantly Hispanic, many restaurants won't serve the evil Gringos. It hurt my wife's feelings, but then I explained to her that the future is theirs, our future is in the rear view mirror and we should thank our lucky stars we're not in our 20's or 30's.

For those of you who are in your 20's and 30's....good luck! Yours is a lost cause. Oh, and today on MSNBC, I learned that there's a big new push on to reinstate the draft, for of course, both women and men and without deferments. Well, I'm sure they'll work out some deferment method for those disadvantaged by white privilege. So...in the US endless foreign wars, they can assure that mostly unfairly privilged whites will come back in body bags. So...its not just enough to relegate you to the bottom rungs of the social ladder...now they're figuring out how to kill you before you breed!

Brilliant!

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join