It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"White privilege" myth or reality?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 04:22 AM
link   
First off let me state I'm a student who needs help finding credible sources for this topic. Finding anything other then Wikipedia as a source is becoming extremely frustrating as well as finding statistical evidence of its existence. If you can help by giving links or links for statistics for this topic that would be great.
I'm not asking people to do my work for me just asking for some help is all. Feel free to discuss the topic between your self's or look it up if you have never heard of it.

Interesting side note a lot of the people who have helped push this agenda are communist,Maoist and feminist who can be linked to the same extremist groups according to Wikipedia

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 04:28 AM
link   
reply to post by digital01anarchy

hi, man.. have you heard about the white kings of ankor wat and ankor tom? there is this letter from this ancient chinese ambassador dude that reported about them, they apparently stayed inside temples for many generations so they turned white or something.. it was an interesting read..

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 05:15 AM
link   
A look at most politicians, business leaders and industrialists in the west, should provide you with some evidence.

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 05:49 AM
link   
reply to post by solve

"wat and ankor tom" lol are you calling me a uncle tom with a Chinese accent in English?
or are you serous about what you posted?

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 05:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by woodwardjnr
A look at most politicians, business leaders and industrialists in the west, should provide you with some evidence.

yeah I know what im actually looking for are statistics on the subject, I want to be able to link the funding of such research to a group or organization who would benefit from its results. I already have some information on its agenda by Wikipedia linking some of the people who coined the term to extremist groups with extremist ideals.

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 06:07 AM
link   
The whole thing is a myth. It really ought to be called rich privilege.
The thing is poor white folks are invisible so when you see a white politician on telly you notice his colour first. Just the same as when you see a black politician.
What you really ought to be looking for is the family's wealth.

If you look at the legal profession, very few people from poor white backgrounds make it as barristers because their families don't have the networks that established rich families do. That's just one instance.

If you are poor and white your colour won't help you a damn.

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 06:16 AM
link   
Well ... first you say this ...

Originally posted by digital01anarchy
First off let me state I'm a student who needs help finding credible sources for this topic.

And then you say this ...

Interesting side note a lot of the people who have helped push this agenda are communist,Maoist and feminist who can be linked to the same extremist groups according to Wikipedia

So I'm a bit confused as to what you are going for in this thread??? Are you really a student looking for information on so-called 'white privilege' ??? Or is this something else??? These two sentences of yours kinda don't go together for me .... Sounds like you've already made up your mind that it exists and that it's a huge conspiracy. Also sounds like you've made up your mind about who the supposed perps of this would be IF it actually were a real thing.

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 06:37 AM
link   
reply to post by SprocketUK

yeah understood, I hand picked this topic to destroy it in class but im debating on that because i think the professor might be a feminist and shes about the same age as my mother so she could have gone to college in the 70's also shes black so she might hold some extreme views on this subject both are guesses she is good at staying very neutral about subjects as to not show any sign of political or ideological views. Very smart lady! I brought up the glass ceiling when talking about feminism which she seems to believe that women get paid less so I'm guessing if she buys into that bit she will most likely buy into most of it. #2 she talks about how there is racism still in the south which I don't doubt but the example she used was kind of outhere about not being able to make eye contact with whites and what not. I'm wondering if destroying this fairytale called White Privilege is going to get me an F because i don't toe the progressive ultra left line

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 06:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan
Well ... first you say this ...

Originally posted by digital01anarchy
First off let me state I'm a student who needs help finding credible sources for this topic.

And then you say this ...

So I'm a bit confused as to what you are going for in this thread??? Are you really a student looking for information on so-called 'white privilege' ??? Or is this something else??? These two sentences of yours kinda don't go together for me .... Sounds like you've already made up your mind that it exists and that it's a huge conspiracy. Also sounds like you've made up your mind about who the supposed perps of this would be IF it actually were a real thing.

yeah I'm a student hence why I cant use Wikipedia as a source for citation and why I'm on here looking for links to credible sources and links to statistics.

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 06:46 AM
link   

Maybe if you look under a different search. Maybe asking " Does institutionalised racism still exist in America". You may have more luck going along those lines

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 06:56 AM
link   
reply to post by woodwardjnr

And when a country has more "politicians, business leaders and industrialists" that are non-white in countries with low white populations, they are not accused of having Black privilege or having institutionalised racism against white people.

Funny how it's only countries with predominantly white populations that get singled out in this regard...

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 06:57 AM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

actually there is a conspiracy aspect to this topic and this is a conspiracy website is it not? Im aware as a white male that I might have some level of difficulty in remaining unbiased on this topic hell the whole reason i picked it was to pick it apart logically but to do that first I must try and except the information in an unbiased manner weigh the pros and cons and if I still feel like I do about it now show the class what a bs notion it is

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 07:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by woodwardjnr

Maybe if you look under a different search. Maybe asking " Does institutionalised racism still exist in America". You may have more luck going along those lines

thank you i will look into it

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 07:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dark Ghost
reply to post by woodwardjnr

And when a country has more "politicians, business leaders and industrialists" that are non-white in countries with low white populations, they are not accused of having Black privilege or having institutionalised racism against white people.

Funny how it's only countries with predominantly white populations that get singled out in this regard...

great idea for statistics or graphs and charts showing the hypocrisy but to be fair I need both evidence that supports and denys white privilege exists

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 07:10 AM
link   

Are you kidding me? Maybe sixty years ago I'd agree with you. Now? Now it's "minority privilege". "Minorities" often get better schooling then whites, simply because they're a "minority" and get various stipends to get them through school whereas a white person aiming for the same school might get turned down in favor of making that school more "diverse" or simply, because the white person couldn't afford schooling and isn't eligible for any stipends simply because he's white.

Same with a lot of job positions out there. Companies will hire minorities as they get benefits from the state for doing so. Also, add to that affirmative action.

My question though, is will whites get the same deal when they become a minority? Because it is happening. It's projected that by 2050 the majority in the United States will be of Hispanic background. (I don't have a link, sorry. But I saw the info graph here on ATS somewhere.)

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 07:23 AM
link   

Here's a link for your school report...

Obama backs race-based school discipline policies

Oh wait, that's black privilege!

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 07:27 AM
link   
can you define the term for the discussion ? and is this in a particular country or society ?

txs

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 10:13 AM
link   

hi, sorry for all the mispelling, i don`t speak english, but yeah, i am serious about my post, there are lots of legends about ancient kings that were white skinned, becouse they where indoors for generations, i am not saying if this is true or not, just a fun idea and there really is a ancient document that tells this story.. but back to the topic, i think white nations for some reason maybe want to controll different coloured people, but in the end these kind of nations are obsessed with ownership and money, probably has nothing to do with colour.. just looked it up zhou daguan was his name but couldnt find the part where he describes skin colour. still pretty sure it was there... somewhere...
edit on 27-1-2013 by solve because: correction

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 11:16 AM
link   

White privilege is a reality it is becoming less relevant but it still exists and could never be classified as a myth. Look up your world history and you will get the meaning of it...

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 04:03 PM
link   
While I agree that class/income plays a role in privilege, as well, we don't exist in a vacuum and privilege needs to be assessed appropriately by looking at the different intersectionalities that impact people in society. For instance, race, class, gender/sex, sexuality, etc. All are important and have impacts on the privilege a person has in society.

Originally posted by SprocketUK
The whole thing is a myth. It really ought to be called rich privilege.
The thing is poor white folks are invisible so when you see a white politician on telly you notice his colour first. Just the same as when you see a black politician.
What you really ought to be looking for is the family's wealth.

new topics

top topics

join