It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

GOP rep.: Keep minimum wage low ‘for minorities’ who aren’t worth more than $7 an hour

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 24 2015 @ 08:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: roadgravel
a reply to: ProfessorChaos

I agree to an extent with your observation, but that is being used to pay some workers who work harder the same wage. The ones who make the business actually work but are subject to the same pay because of that thinking.

The onus is on those people to prove their worth to the company. If you come to work, and become 'indispensable', as long as you realize that you've achieved that status, you can begin to make fair demands to the company (this is what I did).

The people I'm referring to, always end up as part of the 'revolving door' crew, and never achieve that 'indispensable' status, due to their own work habits.
edit on 1/24/2015 by ProfessorChaos because: typo

posted on Jan, 24 2015 @ 08:49 AM
link   

In 2012, the median household income was $44,389. and had 1.35 wage earners so if we divide $44,389 by 1.35 we get an average annual income of $32,880. Thus the average annual income increased by 4010% so even potatoes have become relatively cheaper i.e. our standard of living has increased.

32K is about double minimum wage pay. If pay just went to food it might be more meaningful.

posted on Jan, 24 2015 @ 09:04 AM
link   
So why does anyone stay in business? If all yall are going broke from taxes, employees, what is the point?

I think most of you lack imagination. There are other ways of improving the lives of others besides cash.

posted on Jan, 24 2015 @ 09:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: ProfessorChaos
I have to say, based on the quality (or lack thereof) of recent hires in my company, there's quite a large contingent of people, whose work ethic, and reliability (again, or lack thereof) relegates them to not being worth more than minimum wage, based on what they bring to the table.

I fully agree.

One can give raises to worthwhile individuals, but a mandated raise simply creates more of what I have been party/witness in over the years and it is an "I expect more" for doing less and less mentality.

Personally, I prefer to hire older...that have a home/residence, family, some responsibilty other than just rent.

Some of our best hires have been felons just trying to earn a living...which is another story.

A decade has changed the work force and made employees feel as that they are owed more than they are paid, most are not worth the pay.

MG
edit on 24-1-2015 by missed_gear because: (no reason given)

edit on 24-1-2015 by missed_gear because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2015 @ 09:09 AM
link   
a reply to: missed_gear

You don't sound like a Texas business. Most here are not known for treating employees all that well.

posted on Jan, 24 2015 @ 09:12 AM
link   

You don't sound like a Texas business. Most here are not known for treating employees all that well.

There's certainly a case to be made for unfair treatment of employees, but that doesn't apply to all companies, just as earned raises shouldn't apply to all employees.

They aren't all the same.

posted on Jan, 24 2015 @ 09:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: MOMof3
So why does anyone stay in business? If all yall are going broke from taxes, employees, what is the point?

I think most of you lack imagination. There are other ways of improving the lives of others besides cash.

I stay in business because 15 or so years ago I comitted, before all of this...(for lack of a better word)...'crap',

You comment is truly against this thread, the topic is 'cash' bottom line.

Should I close a location...there are 30 to 35 full-time employees, the vendors I pay, utilities, insurance companies, property taxes, contractors I use, HVAC maintainace contracts, lawyers I feed, payroll company, bank processing fees...on and on...just to stay in compliance or needed in a defence

A small business plays a big part in keeping people employed (other than just their own).

Raising the wages level, just means less for everyone.

MG

posted on Jan, 24 2015 @ 09:22 AM
link   

I have the same employees for over a decade in most spots...

What I "sound like" and what I am are two different animals now aren't they?

The newer younger employees do not last long as they do not want to do the work to move-up into anything....get a paycheck and drink/drug it then next; call in sick etc.

I treat people well and I take offense to you comment.

MG

posted on Jan, 24 2015 @ 09:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: missed_gear

I have the same employees for over a decade in most spots...

What I "sound like" and what I am are two different animals now aren't they?

The newer younger employees do not last long as they do not want to do the work to move-up into anything....get a paycheck and drink/drug it then next; call in sick etc.

I treat people well and I take offense to you comment.

MG

I think you mistakenly took the quote I used from another post as my own. My comment didn't attack you at all.

posted on Jan, 24 2015 @ 10:23 AM
link   

True, I was just noting the general state of affairs in the state. Loyalty and hard work doesn't go far any more with most businesses. Really sad.

posted on Jan, 24 2015 @ 10:33 AM
link   

Texas also doesn't treat small business people well either.

Texas claiming to be small govt. is good govt. state has some of the most restrictive taxes, regulations, administration, and BS systematization control, dumbass bloated bureaucratic nonsense you can imagine. Worse than Cali.

That's why I moved my business to a more friendly state.
edit on 24-1-2015 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2015 @ 10:36 AM
link   
a reply to: EternalSolace

You are Correct.I'm in that pay range almost $11 Per Hour.
I Calculated my take home after Medical Insurance (which I am forced to Have)
and Taxes.
I bring Home a Whopping $6 Per Hour.
Thanks Obama.

posted on Jan, 24 2015 @ 10:43 AM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

The good old boy system

posted on Jan, 24 2015 @ 07:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: Merinda
Businesses wont do any less or more hiring because minimum wage goes up. That implies they hired an charitable amount of staff before. They did not, they hired what they needed and what they need wont be affected by 24 Dollars a day per person. Thats what? 3 large menues?

Absolutely incorrect and, frankly, staggeringly naive.

Businesses constantly find themselves in a position where they cannot maintain their preferred staffing levels. All that happens is recruitment for new positons stop, or existing staff are laid off - either way the remainder have to absorb the extra work on top of what they already do.

That $24 per day per person builds up quickly. In fact, for every 4 members of staff, the extra payments by the company might now equal the cost of hiring a 5th person.

posted on Jan, 24 2015 @ 09:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: EvillerBob

originally posted by: Merinda
Businesses wont do any less or more hiring because minimum wage goes up. That implies they hired an charitable amount of staff before. They did not, they hired what they needed and what they need wont be affected by 24 Dollars a day per person. Thats what? 3 large menues?

Absolutely incorrect and, frankly, staggeringly naive.

And you are staggeringly wrong. I don't think you have ever run or owned a business. There is such a thing as a core crew; the min. number of people it takes to take care of business. Labor cost are just passed on to the customer.
Any savy business doesn't keep dead wood employees just hanging around; maybe that's how they do it in the UK though.

posted on Jan, 24 2015 @ 09:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: neo96
I wonder what minimum wage would be if EMPLOYERS where not paying half of employees ss, and and medicare contributions.

All of the employees workmans comp, and unemployment insurance.

Man! You just don't get it you! I'm about to go to sleep but I'll make sure to respond tomorrow....

posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 12:46 AM
link   
It doesn't matter what you make because this black hole inflation will devour everybody. Apparently now It's cheaper to buy a gallon of gasoline than it is to buy a gallon of milk. WTF happen?? It won't last. Farmers are being choked to death. Our society is insane. What kind of economic growth can you gain from running your food farms out of business? We can't even control the most basic necessities to sustain life. Everything is going to come crashing down you can bet on that.

posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 12:58 AM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

these people sound like "davo's" regulars and enjoy $55 Cesar salads

posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 01:40 AM
link   
The bottom line is if you are over 25 and trying to support a family on minimum wage you have truly messed up in life. I'm not talking short term setbacks, if your education and skills are nothing better than when you were 18 why does it become a company's job to pay you more for a job that only takes that level of skill set, so is not worth that pay?

I say this with the true belief that we need 10 bucks an hour now for minimum wage. Our Government these last 6 years has totally screwed us and so yes minimum wage increase is needed to off set their failures.

posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 01:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: Xtrozero
The bottom line is if you are over 25 and trying to support a family on minimum wage you have truly messed up in life. I'm not talking short term setbacks, if your education and skills are nothing better than when you were 18 why does it become a company's job to pay you more for a job that only takes that level of skill set, so is not worth that pay?

I say this with the true belief that we need 10 bucks an hour now for minimum wage. Our Government these last 6 years has totally screwed us and so yes minimum wage increase is needed to off set their failures.

you do realize that the minimum wage earners are vital for the cogs to keep on turning ?....

i get the impression you look down on people who do not strive for financial success ..

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join