It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What Colorado "looks like" after one year of "legal pot"

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 02:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheJourney

originally posted by: Honcho
I'm sure some teenagers out there took advantage of it for a bit.

How? They still can't legally buy it, so they just have to find some person to buy it from. And considering the extremely high taxes put on it, I'm sure it is cheaper for them to just continue buying from the person they currently buy from. I mean, weed-smoking teens were already smoking weed...had to buy from 'some guy'...and will still have to have to buy from 'some guy' until they turn 21.

Yeah they still could get it from a dealer who probably grows it themselves cheaper and doesn't care much for the age. But with it being legal it's obviously more prevalent. It's not like they wouldn't have older buddies to buy it for them. I had older buddies buy me cigarettes and beer multiple times before when I was a teenager. Simply having to show an I.D. to buy something doesn't prevent it from going into someone elses hands. It's left up to the discretion of the buyer. It's a piece of cake to pull off.

I know for a fact if it became legal where I live when I was still about 18 or 19, I'd be going out and having someone buy it for me from a legal business. I was already smoking it here and there anyway regardless, but I would have loved it. Even if it were more expensive, I personally would prefer the business over just some joe schmoe growing/dealing it themselves. Mainly because a business would make sure to have well grown plants with the superior quality. There's more liability attached to businesses. These people opened up a business for a reason. They obviously have the knowledge, experience, and money to fund their operation correctly. I would only be scared about big business taking over. Who knows what kind of ways they'll try and cut down on expenses and drive up production. (I.E. using cheaper lower grade soil, cheaper yet more ineffective lighting, Chemical growth boosters or pesticide use, etc.)

posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 12:15 PM
link   
a reply to: stirling

I know there are a ton of studies on both sides with conflicting information, but going by people who I have known well and their personal experiences, I feel this is just one more thing that people are supposedly fighting for but that the PTB actually want to happen.

We are becoming dumbed down and this will help relax the public. I picture Americans laying around smoking and little else all the while their world collapsing unnoticed. Why are people so unable to live unmedicated?

And a large long-term study in New Zealand showed that people who began smoking marijuana heavily in their teens lost an average of 8 points in IQ between age 13 and age 38. Importantly, the lost cognitive abilities were not fully restored in those who quit smoking marijuana as adults.

www.drugabuse.gov...

The stereotype of pot smokers as lackadaisical loafers is supported by new research: People who smoke marijuana regularly over long periods of time tend to produce less of a chemical in the brain that is linked to motivation, a new study finds.

www.livescience.com...
edit on 23-1-2015 by Char-Lee because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 12:41 PM
link   
a reply to: Astemest

I do not understand why people are so hard on this subject

What thread have you been reading?
I personally am one of the very few who thinks money gained from the sale of any drug is not going to help anyone and that the use of mind altering drugs of any kind simply keeps people from really living.
Most agree with you!

posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 12:46 PM
link   
a reply to: TheJourney

Errr...yes, sitting in my home doing ANY DRUG WHATSOEVER is victimless.

Anyone who says this has never lived with addicted family members.

posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 12:47 PM
link   
a reply to: Char-Lee

So you undoubtedly support making caffeine, nicotine, and alcohol illegal as well am I correct?

posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 12:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheJourney

originally posted by: Plotus
Pot is not going to make people Successes any more than alcohol. It impairs for pleasure, plain and simple.

Spoken like someone who doesn't really know what they're talking about

Calling the effects of cannabis 'impairment,' as if comparable to alcohol, is ridiculous...you use the one for certain effects, and avoid the alcohol unless you don't care about being impaired at that time. Alcohol makes my mind slow and fuzzy, not something that occurs with the other.

So you don't get "slow and fuzzy" well you are not the majority.

These effects include altered perceptions and mood, impaired coordination, difficulty with thinking and problem solving, and disrupted learning and memory.

posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 01:05 PM
link   
a reply to: Bundy

Illegal is not the same as imaginary. Just because it's illegal doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

Very true. The thing is when you put a stamp of approval on a thing in society, in a country, in a world, you change the view of that thing starting with children.

posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 01:11 PM
link   
These discussions invariably lead to studies and diatribes about 'long-term, heavy users' as if the majority consumes that way. I'll bet if we did a study on heavy drinkers who started in their teens they'd have lost a hell of a lot more than 8 IQ points between 13 and 38. The majority of users are casual, recreational users. Not people with a bong stuck to their mouths. Are there people who use every day? Of course. There are people who drink every day. People who smoke 3+ packs of butts every day. People who eat a whole box of Ho-Hos, and people who slam 6+ cups of coffee or Red Bulls every day as well. It's about moderation and the proverbial 'time and place'.

posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 01:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: jtma508

So you undoubtedly support making caffeine, nicotine, and alcohol illegal as well am I correct?

I have never seen anyone beat a Family member, steal, or kill over caffeine so I think we can leave that one out.

Personally yes I would not have alcohol legal or nicotine, was alcohol still used by abusers when it was illegal...yes the blatant ones who could get it, but the message was clear it was harming society we don't like it. I agree with that.

I don't agree with filling prisons with people who use illegal substances, I would say public service work would be a valid solution. Something that helps society.

posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 01:14 PM
link   

You know people who have beaten family members and killed over weed? Other than traffickers? I mean casual users are known to do this?

posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 01:21 PM
link   

You know people who have beaten family members and killed over weed? Other than traffickers? I mean casual users are known to do this?

No but just as bad, they sit and leave everyone else to do all the work of real living. Sponge on their Families take money for their habit, and display paranoid behavior that affects the whole Family.

posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 01:42 PM
link   

Again, you are asserting that all weed users are like this? Because after 40+ years of first-hand knowledge I know this to be 'Reefer Madness' quality BS. There are people that behave this way related to alcohol, video-gaming, or internet surfing as well. It's an individual phenomenon. You need to learn how to separate underlying psychological issues from the weed argument. It makes your posts specious at best and intellectually dishonest at worst.

And seriously... just as bad?? Beating their family and murdering people is just as bad as sponging-off their families and exhibiting paranoid behaviors? Holy crap! You believe that?????

edit on 23-1-2015 by jtma508 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 01:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: Char-Lee

I personally am one of the very few who thinks money gained from the sale of any drug is not going to help anyone and that the use of mind altering drugs of any kind simply keeps people from really living.
Most agree with you!

Then like me dont do drugs.

But dont preach and get in the way of those that do. Itis there choice.

posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 03:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: crazyewok

originally posted by: Char-Lee

Most agree with you!

Then like me dont do drugs.

But dont preach and get in the way of those that do. Itis there choice.

Unlike you I don't feel that sharing my OPINIONS in a discussion should be consider preaching or should be offensive to anyone.
How sad a world we have. Yeah another of my offensive opinions.

There was a time when people valued every opinion in a discussion, you know I stared over half the posts in this thread, not because I agreed but because they posted something worth thinking about. I am thinking it is about time to leave this place and make people happy, it is more a pat on the back place now then a discussion and learning place imho.

posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 04:03 PM
link   

Again, you are asserting that all weed users are like this? Because after 40+ years of first-hand knowledge I know this to be 'Reefer Madness' quality BS. There are people that behave this way related to alcohol, video-gaming, or internet surfing as well. It's an individual phenomenon. You need to learn how to separate underlying psychological issues from the weed argument. It makes your posts specious at best and intellectually dishonest at worst.

And seriously... just as bad?? Beating their family and murdering people is just as bad as sponging-off their families and exhibiting paranoid behaviors? Holy crap! You believe that?????

I am sure you know what i am saying go ahead laugh and get your back pats. So your experience over 40 years verses my dead father at age 42 and my dead brother at age 42 also. Both beautiful intelligent wonderful blue eyed blond educated men...gone.

i have expeience this plus so much more I would need days to tell it all. Still I valued your thoughts.

posted on Jan, 27 2015 @ 06:36 PM
link   
a reply to: stirling

Arent there rules about the OP not being simply a link and a quote?

No opinion piece, no supporting documentation, no nuttin. Just a link and a quote. How freakin lazy.

Or would it be "how freakin stoned"? lol

Just an FYI, I became an adult in the early 70s. NORML was already in motion then and I supported it.
edit on 27-1-2015 by bbracken677 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 27 2015 @ 06:43 PM
link   
a reply to: guitarplayer

You only brought up one side of the picture. There are always 2 stories. Perhaps you should pick up that hooker and pay her to tell you her story.

Usually "vices" are illegal in some effort to protect people from themselves. I tend to lean towards the "if you are not harming or threatening harm to me or mine, then you should be able to do whatever you like" and I abhor stupid crap like making 32 oz drinks illegal.

In the case of prostitution, ... well, I am not wise enough to pronounce that it's legalization would cure all the issues that exist for illegal prostitutes. Failing that, then there is no reason to legalize it. It is demeaning on a level that is beyond description.

posted on Jan, 29 2015 @ 07:52 PM
link   
a reply to: angus1745

not only have they made a fortune off of it -- they are planning on giving the surplus back to the citizens in terms of a tax refund from what I hear.

posted on Jan, 29 2015 @ 08:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: RufNUsd

I vacationed in Boulder, CO during Christmas 2014. A foot of snow on said day. During my visit, not a decent conversation was held with locals. While walking The Pearl Street Mall District I was in a rush to go South. The lack of intellect is frightening. I've never seen so many people on corners asking for a hand out.....NEVER after hitting every of our inboard 48.

Cheers, Rufnusd

As a transplant from pennsylvania to Colorado -- this is sadly accurate. I noticed a trend here in Colorado Springs -- people who are not from here are friendly and willing to talk - meanwhile the 'native' colorado people tend to be closed off, snobby, entitled arses.

I see at least 4-5 people begging on the street corners per day, and I live in the northern part of colorado springs which is considered a more upscale area.

its sad here.
I can't wait til I can leave.

posted on Mar, 8 2015 @ 08:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: burdman30ott6

originally posted by: LewsTherinThelamon
a reply to: mOjOm

Ok, so what's next on our list???

The rest of the drug war.

And prostitution.

Allow me to be the first to say "no." This is exactly the last thing anyone who supports decriminalization of MJ should be advocating at this time. One of the most listened to, most impactful arguments supporting the new decriminalization laws focused on weed's impact on health and society and the rational argument that the health impact was less than that of tobacco while the societal impacts were less than those of alcohol. Those arguments CANNOT be rationally made about hard drugs or prostitution.

If you want to force the majority of non-pot users who support the push for decriminalization to do an about face and demand a full return to prohibition, raising the "OK, now we need to legalize all vices" argument is a great first step. There is logic behind the legal banning of some substances and some activities... as the manufacture, use, and practice of these does not constitute "victimless" activity.

Agreed.

To put it another way... marijuana may not be a gateway drug physically, but is is gateway legislatively. It's a slippery slope, my friends.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join