It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What Colorado "looks like" after one year of "legal pot"

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 20 2015 @ 12:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: stirling
The figures tell a story but the figures don't actually mention the real numbers do they?
The name of the sponsoring org and the content smack of LEO propaganda.....
Student expulsions increased over years of illegality as well as the year of legalization.....2008/9 through 2012/13
Hospitalisations from MJ are up 57 %...but whats that in numbers actually ? could be as few as 3.4 people...who would know? Corresponding numbers for other drugs should be available for comparisaon as well....pot up vrs booze down say....etc...
Also MJ elated hospitalisations up 82% but again no real numbers.....and just what IS an MJ related hospitalisation anyways ?..Are these babies who ate the stash or overdoses of serious nature|? what are the symptoms pray tell?( immense appetite and eventual somnambulant behavior...awakening without hangover ?)
This stuff is meaningless without other related stats like increase or decrease in alchohol related problems...domestic problems etc....
I think this reference is paid for by somebody with an anti pot bias......

I watched a documentary that addressed the MJ hospitalization issue in Colorado. The physician said that they see 1 or 2 a week and the patient exhibits a few non-life-threatening symptoms brought on, typically, by using edibles in higher-than-recommended dosages. The inexperienced user goes to the hospital because they start to freak out after taking way too much.

The issue with edibles and inexperienced users is that they aren't prepared for the "high" to take 45-90 minutes to kick in. They eat half of the item and when they don't feel anything, they eat the rest... ingesting way more Cannabis than they were prepared for.

Even a full-on MJ overdose is not life-threatening.

posted on Jan, 20 2015 @ 12:13 AM
link   
all recreational drugs should be legal. the lot. if it happened society would'nt fall. it would get a massive new injection of moolah. massive. new jobs too.

posted on Jan, 20 2015 @ 12:17 AM
link   
Further reading on the subject of ending the Drug War can be found at my thread, 5 Shocking Reasons to End The Drug War. I focus on cannabis for the most part but all of the reasons a sound in my opinion.

posted on Jan, 20 2015 @ 12:26 AM
link   
a reply to: stirling

If I were to characterize it as a broader movement, what MJ legalization is really about is getting laws in alignment with people are doing already, and that's a good thing. What we don't want is a situation where we've let laws lapse to the point where we are all potential criminals, and a selective enforcement regime - dictated by god knows who - decides who the law gets enforced against at any time.

The reason nothing has changed is that the law has caught up with what people were doing before it was legal, but that's basically all that has changed.

posted on Jan, 20 2015 @ 12:30 AM
link   
You mean nobody smoked pot before it was declared illegal?............

posted on Jan, 20 2015 @ 01:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: WeRpeons
Can anyone set-up shop or do you have to pay for a license to sell it? If they need a license, I wonder how they decide who will be awarded one? You probably need to have friends in high places to get one.

In Washington State, I know you need a license to set up a shop and they involve getting approval from the state and the county, which is a lot of paperwork - there is definitely some politics involved.

posted on Jan, 20 2015 @ 02:05 AM
link   
Well, if anything, people should be feeling happier, with silly smiles on their faces
so when the tax man rings them, they can tell them to fark off with a grin rather
than a wince.

posted on Jan, 20 2015 @ 07:14 AM
link   
If cannabis is ever legal where i live,
I'm opening up shop. Grow sell deliver. Sounds lucrative to me.

Some stats on the previous page said MJ emergency room visits increased? i'd like to know for what exactly. That all sounds like a bunch of propaganda, in other words "b/s", i've heard lots of good things coming from legalization in colarado.

posted on Jan, 20 2015 @ 07:18 AM
link   
a reply to: AzureSky
I'd guess emergency room visits ticked up when people panicked. Like Maureen Dowd, and her now well-known column about her overdosing on her first use of marijuana - but in her case she just lay around her hotel room going through a bad trip while others may panic and call an ambulance. The stats I'd like to see concerning these emergency room visits would concern how many were real medical problems and how many were panic-induced visits, where the person just had to be calmed and made to understand that "all will be fine, just give it time, here, have a cupcake".

posted on Jan, 20 2015 @ 07:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: Aleister
I'd guess emergency room visits ticked up when people panicked. Like Maureen Dowd, and her now well-known column about her overdosing on her first use of marijuana - but in her case she just lay around her hotel room going through a bad trip while others may panic and call an ambulance. The stats I'd like to see concerning these emergency room visits would concern how many were real medical problems and how many were panic-induced visits, where the person just had to be calmed and made to understand that "all will be fine, just give it time, here, have a cupcake".

Thats the only thing i could see happening, panic attacks. I know people who don't smoke it for that reason. It reacts differently for some people. I bet most of said ER visits are panicing, or just going overboard and eating too many brownies (you can get ill from pot, if you smoke/eat too much of something too strong for you). The lads call it "greening out". Happened to my buddy the first time he smoked in middle school. He passed out and landed on his face. He made some friends that day for sure.
edit on 20/1/15 by AzureSky because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 20 2015 @ 07:41 AM
link   

That's pretty much all these emergency room visits can be, panic attacks, or injuries due to walking into a wall "that's not there, it's a holograph, I'm sure of it" or something.

Have you or has anyone heard of Maureen Dowd going back and trying it again? Bill Maher offered to help her learn how to use marijuana, wondering if she's thinking of taking him up on it. Her initial column is one that has been used for anti-pot commentary, and so she practically owes it to her readers to continue an ongoing-experiment and at least give it another try with a capable guide.

edit on 20-1-2015 by Aleister because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 20 2015 @ 07:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: burdman30ott6
Lmao go ahead guys, cut the head clean off the golden egg laying goose, then. God forbid any degree of intelligent battle choosing and thoughtful deference get in the way of any imaginary lawless nirvana some apparently have been lured into believing in.

Oh, and regarding the member who stated prostitution laws are the problem: you are clearly sheltered from the reality of the world. Mexico has legal prostitution, yet sex slavery is rampant through the country... I'd rather not see predatory practices in the USA increase just to cover the asses of a minority of dudes lacking the personality or game needed to not have to pay for it... I'd say that's just me, but polls place me in the majority opinion on that and Democracy is thankfully still in effect in this country. *waves little US flag while whistling*

What the...lawless nirvana?!? How about not putting people in prison for making personal lifestyle decisions. Its a prison! They won't let you out of there! You can't just cry uncle when you've had enough of it. There are a lot of really bad people in there. It can tend to ruin your life, too. Seems a little harsh for someone who decided to ingest some hard drugs, especially when all of the crimes that I suspect you would say these habits would lead to are still illegal. Why not focus on those crimes that actually have victims to them? Imprisoning someone solely for something they choose to do to themselves is wrong on so many levels. I'll spare you from the founding document quotes.

As for prostitution, the Netherlands has had legal prostitution for quite some time, and they do not have any of the social problems that you pointed out in Mexico. Mexico has a slew of social problems, far exceeding ours.

Tolerence is not often enough touted as a good Christian virtue. Respecting peoples' peaceful differences is as American as it gets. I hope one day that we will realize the truth of these things, and stop jailing our fellow Americans for trying to "feel good".
*waves large US flag as snare drum and flute play in background*
edit on 20-1-2015 by engineercutout because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 20 2015 @ 07:47 AM
link   

You mean it doesn't look like this?

posted on Jan, 20 2015 @ 07:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: LewsTherinThelamon
a reply to: mOjOm

Ok, so what's next on our list???

The rest of the drug war.

And prostitution.

I agree about the rest of the drug war. In many countries "prescription" drugs are over the counter. I see the heavy handed control of many prescription drugs as excessive.

If we "legalize" the "illegal" drugs, we also need to decontrol antibiotics, creams and ointments etc.
Prescription drugs are treated as if illegal in that an adult needs a physician's permission to get them. Think how unnecessary doctor visits are due to "refills" and nothing else. My Dr. requires it annually to renew refills, a waste of time and money.

Many of the abused drugs are prescription, so your hope of legalization should include full legalization. Let adults be adults.

We were in a European pharmacy where most "prescription" drugs are legal. They have two sections of the store like we do. But the "prescription" section was run by pharmacists who are already expert in the uses of the drugs (far more so than physicians). You told the pharmacist what you wanted and what problem you were going to use it for. They advised people if the drug was appropriate or not for the stated problem and then gave it to you. A very adult way to handle it. Speaking of adult, the behind the counter drugs were for adults only, children did not have access and could not request the drugs.

When you say the war on drugs,
prescription drugs are part of that war,
they are a war on Senior Citizens
and use up precious physician time
for no real reason.

Free the Seniors! Fully legalize all drugs! Including prescription drugs!

edit on 7Tue, 20 Jan 2015 07:57:06 -0600am12001amk202 by grandmakdw because: grammar

posted on Jan, 20 2015 @ 07:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: ~Lucidity

You mean it doesn't look like this?

No, of course not.

Everyone in those pictures now looks like me!

A 55-70 year old crowd would be the real hippie crowd.

Free the Seniors, end holding our prescription drugs hostage!

Set us free to get our "drugs" without having to get the permission of our Docs!

edit on 7Tue, 20 Jan 2015 07:59:07 -0600am12001amk202 by grandmakdw because: addition

posted on Jan, 20 2015 @ 08:03 AM
link   
a reply to: grandmakdw

I completely agree, and I didn't mean to exclude them. But you are correct, people can make those decisions for themselves.

posted on Jan, 20 2015 @ 08:03 AM
link   
a reply to: grandmakdw

posted on Jan, 20 2015 @ 09:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: WeRpeons
Can anyone set-up shop or do you have to pay for a license to sell it? If they need a license, I wonder how they decide who will be awarded one? You probably need to have friends in high places to get one.

lol! Not sure if a pun was intended but * for it

posted on Jan, 20 2015 @ 09:14 AM
link   
i think idea of legalizing all drugs is just a bad idea. those who support legalizing all drugs must have never dealt with a meth user and diffidently never had their home broke into by a tweeker. i have lived in areas that had bad meth and heroin problems and there is no way those places would be any better with legalizing. i would say just let a few states that want to make it legal do it. let those that want who want to smoke in public move to those states. pot is not fully legal in my state yet i have never been to jail for it or have i ever got a ticket for it. and why is that? because i use discretion. i don't take it with me when i go out. i have it delivered to my house so i never chase it down. those that i see get in trouble are the ones that advertise they are hi. after visiting Venice beach a couple times and seeing all the dirty looking losers smoking under blankets made me stop wanting to legalizing pot. using discretion and common sense keeps you out of trouble for the most part.

posted on Jan, 20 2015 @ 09:28 AM
link   

What Colorado "looks like" after one year of "legal pot"

I thought it would look more like this.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join