It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Black Protesters Storm NYC Restaurants – Target & Harass White People Eating Brunch

page: 13
<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 5 2015 @ 07:09 AM
link   
a reply to: LewsTherinThelamon

This isn't true at all. Slavery, even among blacks, still exists in this world. And yes there are even slaves still in America.

T his map shows where the world’s 30 million slaves live. There are 60,000 in the U.S.

We think of slavery as a practice of the past, an image from Roman colonies or 18th-century American plantations, but the practice of enslaving human beings as property still exists. There are 29.8 million people living as slaves right now, according to a comprehensive new report issued by the Australia-based Walk Free Foundation.

This is not some softened, by-modern-standards definition of slavery. These 30 million people are living as forced laborers, forced prostitutes, child soldiers, child brides in forced marriages and, in all ways that matter, as pieces of property, chattel in the servitude of absolute ownership. Walk Free investigated 162 countries and found slaves in every single one. But the practice is far worse in some countries than others.

The country where you are most likely to be enslaved is Mauritania. Although this vast West African nation has tried three times to outlaw slavery within its borders, it remains so common that it is nearly normal. The report estimates that four percent of Mauritania is enslaved – one out of every 25 people. (The aid group SOS Slavery, using a broader definition of slavery, estimated several years ago that as many as 20 percent of Mauritanians might be enslaved.)

posted on Jan, 5 2015 @ 07:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

This isn't true at all. Slavery, even among blacks, still exists in this world. And yes there are even slaves still in America.

T his map shows where the world’s 30 million slaves live. There are 60,000 in the U.S.

We think of slavery as a practice of the past, an image from Roman colonies or 18th-century American plantations, but the practice of enslaving human beings as property still exists. There are 29.8 million people living as slaves right now, according to a comprehensive new report issued by the Australia-based Walk Free Foundation.

This is not some softened, by-modern-standards definition of slavery. These 30 million people are living as forced laborers, forced prostitutes, child soldiers, child brides in forced marriages and, in all ways that matter, as pieces of property, chattel in the servitude of absolute ownership. Walk Free investigated 162 countries and found slaves in every single one. But the practice is far worse in some countries than others.

The country where you are most likely to be enslaved is Mauritania. Although this vast West African nation has tried three times to outlaw slavery within its borders, it remains so common that it is nearly normal. The report estimates that four percent of Mauritania is enslaved – one out of every 25 people. (The aid group SOS Slavery, using a broader definition of slavery, estimated several years ago that as many as 20 percent of Mauritanians might be enslaved.)

The major difference being that--in today's world all of us are threatened by human trafficking. It's not just Europeans buying and selling Africans en masse. It's no longer just a race issue, it's a human issue--and my point is still valid. Black people in today's United States do not deserve an apology for something that didn't happen to them. They especially don't deserve an apology from people that have nothing to do with their ancestors being enslaved.

posted on Jan, 5 2015 @ 07:20 AM
link   

I agree, just correcting your inaccuracy that there are no black slaves anymore. I don't subscribe one iota to white guilt.

posted on Jan, 5 2015 @ 07:20 AM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

Also, human slavery today is unlawful, and the buying and selling of human beings is--in the US at least--a black market.

200 years ago it was completely lawful to buy humans for slave labor.

Pretty big difference.

posted on Jan, 5 2015 @ 07:24 AM
link   
This is action is veiled and 'acceptable' racism. This group targeted people solely for being White. They had no way of knowing the patrons' political views, philosophical views, views on NYPD, Garner, Race, etc. etc. etc. The only common denominator they had was color of skin.

When you harass people for the color of their skin, you are a racist, period.

And for those that say that racism is only attributable to Whites because of "Power", you're delusional.

posted on Jan, 5 2015 @ 07:24 AM
link   

I agree, just correcting your inaccuracy that there are no black slaves anymore. I don't subscribe one iota to white guilt.

Agreed. I knew that slavery still exists, I worded my post incorrectly.

posted on Jan, 5 2015 @ 07:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: DrJunk

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

originally posted by: DrJunk

I don't think you understand what is going on at all.

I think that would be you who equates Dr. King and the Woolworth sit ins to the jackasses in New York protesting inside establishments that do not have racial segregation.

Our country is racially segregated by the lethal force perpetrated by police nationwide.

Time for people to get uncomfortable about it.

i'm sorry but that is complete and utter BS. the country is not racially segregated by police violence. there have been more than enough people killed and abused of pretty much every race to show that. there is a big problem of police abuse and lack of accountability, yet it has nothing to do with race. by trying to turn it into a racial issue, you are actually causing the racial tensions and division that is happening today.

posted on Jan, 5 2015 @ 07:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: Domo1

Honestly, at this point, I really think it is prudent for us to segregate ourselves.

Maybe from jackasses, but not from other races. Crap, I'll be a hermit!

Maybe we all need a timeout.

I would like to see someone send our media proponents to their bedrooms.

posted on Jan, 5 2015 @ 07:37 AM
link   
Don't be taken in by a headline clearly written to incite such as the title of this thread. Here is another "take" on the same event in Oakland. Do you see the difference in perception a writer can make?

#BlackBrunch brings peaceful protest to Oakland restaurants

In restaurant after restaurant in this city's gentrifying Jack London Square neighborhood Sunday, it happened quickly.

As diners enjoyed the first weekend brunch of the New Year, three dozen African American activists — clad in black — filed in. With megaphones in hand, they began an incantation.

"Every 28 hours, a black person in America is killed by the police, a security guard or a self-anointed vigilante. These are our brothers and sisters, our families. Today and every day, we honor their stolen lives."

Then came the names. The men. The women. And the youths: Trayvon Martin, 17. Kimani Gray, 16. Cameron Tillman, 14. Tamir Rice, 12. Aiyana Stanley Jones, 7.

After each, the group collectively proclaimed "ashe" (ah-SHAY), a Yoruba term that translates loosely as "amen" or "so be it." They then called on patrons to stand in solidarity. Some did. Some didn't.

Singing, they filed out.

Food for thought.

source
edit on 5-1-2015 by DancedWithWolves because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 5 2015 @ 07:50 AM
link   
a reply to: DancedWithWolves

Speaking out bothers them too much and they are blinded by their delusions of not being racist. Know that there's at least a few in this thread that appreciate your post though.

posted on Jan, 5 2015 @ 07:55 AM
link   

Care to explain how these tweets are peaceful? Because to me, they look pretty racist and demeaning to white people.

posted on Jan, 5 2015 @ 07:57 AM
link   
a reply to: Kali74

As I and I'm sure others have appreciated yours during this read. This appears to be a peaceful protest that was grossly mischaracterized by the OP source. May more accurate and far less editorialized sources see the light of day in the future. Thank you.

posted on Jan, 5 2015 @ 08:03 AM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t
There are other tweets, far less so. I could point to posts in this thread that taken alone would inaccurately disparage the true nature of the majority of ATS members. This thread is not our finest hour.

posted on Jan, 5 2015 @ 08:05 AM
link   
a reply to: Jamie1

Yes, because going into a place of business, harassing people of a different race is NOT racism.

Only if white people harass blacks.

What a crock of crap these people have become.

I thank God that I don't live in crapholes like Oakland and NYC, where this is happening.

posted on Jan, 5 2015 @ 08:14 AM
link   
a reply to: macman

What a crock of crap these people have become.

And this is exactly what this thread is all about

Which people?

All of them?

posted on Jan, 5 2015 @ 08:16 AM
link   

One of the inherent problems with protesting is that you are relying on the cohesion of a large group of people acting similarly to accomplish a goal. Unfortunately large groups of people are notoriously bad at common sense and rational decisions. That is why it is so easy for the state to discredit protest groups. Just plant someone in the crowd to stir up trouble and then let the media do the rest.

Yep.

Also, IMHO, gone are the dignified protests of Dr. King and his friends and now we have the mob mentality and tactics of the Brownshirts.

posted on Jan, 5 2015 @ 08:16 AM
link   
Oh come on people...

The protests at the symphony were considered inventive, but get between a white man/woman and brunch and you've gone too far?

Lighten up folks. Maybe the "beef" about deadly police action on all citizens, is worth missing a bite or two of that crepe.

posted on Jan, 5 2015 @ 08:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

originally posted by: game over man

If anyone read it, you would see it was a peaceful demonstration by a very small group of people.

Guess you missed the part about the jackasses gleefully recalling making some patrons cry (there are photos in the link).

Additionally, other people's private property is not a forum for public protest, particularly when they have nothing to do with the issue you are protesting.

They were also screaming in some patrons faces & grabbing at them, from what I read. I don't care who you are, don't ever come up in my face & scream at me, and NEVER touch me if I don't know you. That's just wrong. There was no need for all that. Senseless....

posted on Jan, 5 2015 @ 08:22 AM
link   
a reply to: Spiramirabilis

The protestors.

posted on Jan, 5 2015 @ 08:23 AM
link   

This thread is a shining example of the polarizing opinions of this debate. There is no "finest hour" to contemplate on this issue. It is very nuanced just like any other issue. And there shouldn't be excuses made for when one side (no matter how noble their cause is) does something wrong. The actions in the OP are clearly racist on the parts of the protesters. They may have acted differently in Oakland as per your article, but the OP's article was about the protests in NYC.

top topics

<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join