It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russian Courts Find 99% guilty

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 22 2014 @ 12:20 PM
link   
a reply to: noeltrotsky

I might be able to shed some light on this:

Japan is a very honor-based culture. The high confession rate comes as part of that culture. If you are caught committing a crime, you generally just confess because the dishonor you'd bring onto your family with a public trial and conviction would be seen as unforgivable.

Often, when a person in someone's family is known as a criminal, the wife, children, and others in the family are seen as criminals too. Many confess and try to just quietly go to jail so as not to bring them burden of criminality onto their family members. I saw it a lot when I was teaching english to Japanese high-schoolers. Some teens had a parent or sibling who was a known criminal, and they too were labelled criminals by association. It was really heartbreaking to see these kids getting bullied for it. Even people who may be innocent of their crime often confess when they come under suspicion in order to try to save face for their family. It's really sad. Some cases, even being accused of being a criminal is enough to stigmatize your entire family.

Not to say there isn't corruption in the Japanese legal system. The Yakuza still hold quite a sway in Japanese Law, so many people are falsely imprisoned because of this.

Just implementing more Jury trials is not going to do much to fix the Japanese legal system. The family-bound guilt by association has to change as well.

posted on Dec, 22 2014 @ 02:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: NavyDoc

originally posted by: MALBOSIA

originally posted by: paraphi

And yet the Russians respect their leader and the US has no respect for their puppe.... I mean leader.

The problem is that in Russia if you are an activist that attempts to expose corruption in office, you may find yourself intimidated and imprisoned. Several journalists have been murdered when they have got too close. With so few people able to contradict the State media's outpourings, the opinion poll just becomes another way to reinforce the message.

The fact you can call Obama a puppet, and get away with it, perhaps shows the difference.

Regards

I would rather be in prison and know where I stand with my country than scratching my head wondering why I can't get a good job, the bank never returns my calls, the police never come when I want to report a crime and the tax collectors want receipts for everything. It may SOUND worse to be in Russia but the truth is the results are the same. I would rather be in prison than asked to leave a coffee shop because my construction work clothes were to close akin to a homeless man. That happened.

LOL. You don't want to be in a Russian prison. They make ours look like Disneyland. I understand you are just trying to use hyperbole to make a point, but you really, really don't mean that or at least you wouldn't if you really knew what they were like.

I grew up in Canada's north. You wouldn't last a day with your precious thin American skin. I relate more with the Russians. Sorry.

First of all, no need to be a rude jackass.

Secondly:
I'm 1/2 Russian and speak it and have been there. You?

I stand corrected, maybe you do have some grit.

You have been to prison in Russia?

As far as being a Jackass, it is a knee jerk reaction that I give to trendy Russia bashing.

Life might seem "easier" in the west but easy doesn't mean squat. There is living good and then there is living easy. Ill take good.

Russians don't seem to mind it there. They are proud of their country where Americans are ignorant of theirs and call it pride. Its like the twilight zone.

No, but I have relatives who have.

Some people in Russia like Putin, some don't. Dissent is much less free than here or Canada, so vocal opposition is very difficult.

Are people there better than under the old Soviet Union (which Putin, an ex-KGB agent admires) ? Certainly. Is the standard of living or freedom better than in the West? Nope, not yet. There is still a separation in classes. If you are part of Putin's circle of approved individuals, you can be quite well off, like the family of my exchange student I recently hosted from the Novosibersk region. If you disagree with Putin, you wake up with your business boarded up and facing criminal charges for "tax evasion."

I think your opinion is based more on extreme dislike for the United States and the west than any real knowledge about Russia.

Forget the US, Even here in Canada I am willing to wager that I put in way more hours at employment than the average Russian does with my same standard of living. 600 sq ft. Shat food, and discount clothing. I put in over 220 hours a month for THAT. You know why I live like this? Because I disagreed with the status quo that states I must do 12 years of university and pick from a limited number of careers. If I'm not in THAT circle, I am subject to harassment, malnutrition, and confined living space.

You are just personifying inequalities that run rampant in the west and calling it Putin.

posted on Dec, 22 2014 @ 03:31 PM
link   
a reply to: ScientificRailgun

Appreciate the insight on Japan. That's what I've read but don't have any experience of it. I didn't even think there was crime in Japan beside the Yakuza. Their honor bound culture really impacts everything including the judiciary.

posted on Dec, 22 2014 @ 03:36 PM
link   

It's sad when innocent suffer of it, it also has of course positive effects, since people think twice before going the wrong path.

Japanese just seem by culture/essence very obedient (but that could be blinding - bit like ''love makes you blind as well'' and could be easily misused). Perhaps russians opposite of that but in the end not that much different lol.
edit on 22-12-2014 by Plugin because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 22 2014 @ 03:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: Plugin

It's sad when innocent suffer of it, it also has of course positive effects, since people think twice before going the wrong path.

Japanese just seem by culture/essence very obedient (but that could be blinding). Perhaps russian opposite of that but in the end not that much different lol.
Japan has very little appetite for violence at all. That's why they continue to have the U.S. bases there, to protect them. After WWII much of the Japanese population took on a very pacifist mindset, and with good reason. The only nation who knows the horror of atomic war, of course they would want peace over all.

I think that mindset extends into crime in general. Very few people in Japan are inclined to be criminals. This has an unintended effect though that if any crime DOES happen, it's usually the story of the day, especially violent crime. This puts a spotlight on criminals that many simply don't want.

posted on Dec, 22 2014 @ 03:53 PM
link   

We also have many US bases in Europe. We don't care about those over here.. but they are here as well to ''protect us''.
Don't believe they are there for protection though... Just tools their power games, for keeping control/domination.
After wwII a big (childish) power game existed between the victors (Russia and the US) so of course the US did everything they could try to win this influence power game, even after this game was won... they still here.

You said; ''Japan has very little appetite for violence at all. That's why they continue to have the U.S. bases there, to protect them.'''.
Military = violence but then hardcore.. but no problem when they are there of course but the logic doesn't seem to fit.

But as you said, basically you get a culture who gets afraid to get against the general opinion, just follow the main thought/opinion then you have zero problems.. with people afraid to speak up.

posted on Dec, 22 2014 @ 03:59 PM
link   

And yet the Russians respect their leader and the US has no respect for their puppe.... I mean leader.

The problem is that in Russia if you are an activist that attempts to expose corruption in office, you may find yourself intimidated and imprisoned. Several journalists have been murdered when they have got too close. With so few people able to contradict the State media's outpourings, the opinion poll just becomes another way to reinforce the message.

The fact you can call Obama a puppet, and get away with it, perhaps shows the difference.

Regards

I would rather be in prison and know where I stand with my country than scratching my head wondering why I can't get a good job, the bank never returns my calls, the police never come when I want to report a crime and the tax collectors want receipts for everything. It may SOUND worse to be in Russia but the truth is the results are the same. I would rather be in prison than asked to leave a coffee shop because my construction work clothes were to close akin to a homeless man. That happened.

LOL. You don't want to be in a Russian prison. They make ours look like Disneyland. I understand you are just trying to use hyperbole to make a point, but you really, really don't mean that or at least you wouldn't if you really knew what they were like.

I grew up in Canada's north. You wouldn't last a day with your precious thin American skin. I relate more with the Russians. Sorry.

Secondly:

As far as being a Jackass, it is a knee jerk reaction that I give to trendy Russia bashing.

Life might seem "easier" in the west but easy doesn't mean squat. There is living good and then there is living easy. Ill take good.

Russians don't seem to mind it there. They are proud of their country where Americans are ignorant of theirs and call it pride. Its like the twilight zone.

Some people in Russia like Putin, some don't. Dissent is much less free than here or Canada, so vocal opposition is very difficult.

Are people there better than under the old Soviet Union (which Putin, an ex-KGB agent admires) ? Certainly. Is the standard of living or freedom better than in the West? Nope, not yet. There is still a separation in classes. If you are part of Putin's circle of approved individuals, you can be quite well off, like the family of my exchange student I recently hosted from the Novosibersk region. If you disagree with Putin, you wake up with your business boarded up and facing criminal charges for "tax evasion."

I think your opinion is based more on extreme dislike for the United States and the west than any real knowledge about Russia.

Forget the US, Even here in Canada I am willing to wager that I put in way more hours at employment than the average Russian does with my same standard of living. 600 sq ft. Shat food, and discount clothing. I put in over 220 hours a month for THAT. You know why I live like this? Because I disagreed with the status quo that states I must do 12 years of university and pick from a limited number of careers. If I'm not in THAT circle, I am subject to harassment, malnutrition, and confined living space.

You are just personifying inequalities that run rampant in the west and calling it Putin.

So your life is crap in Canada because you didn't get an education or marketable skill and you blame the US? Respectfully, that doesn't make any sense.

posted on Dec, 22 2014 @ 04:02 PM
link   
a reply to: Plugin

There have been appeals to the Japanese government to re institute it's military, but these appeals have largely been rejected by the Japanese people. Also, the Military bases in Japan are there at the behest of the Japanese. If the U.S. Military were to disappear tomorrow I'm sure we would be calling on the government to reform SOME form of military beyond the JSDF, but with the U.S. here they don't see a need for it.

posted on Dec, 22 2014 @ 04:14 PM
link   

In my country (holland) the military is pretty small, even so when the US&NATO starts a war they always without question basically are there to support the US (like we have seen in Iraq and Afghanistan and so on), Japan as well!?
Like the most obedient pupil from the class... without Q doing it.
As I said love makes blind... and are easily misused.

posted on Dec, 22 2014 @ 04:47 PM
link   

Regards

Secondly:

So your life is crap in Canada because you didn't get an education or marketable skill and you blame the US? Respectfully, that doesn't make any sense.

There are people that are well off in Russia so you said yourself. They are part of a small circle of fortunate ones. Same goes in the West. It is a small circle but you think it is most people because the rest don't get heard.

I figured you would play that card though, so trick question. Can EVERYONE in the west live in prosperity if they work hard and follow their dreams? Yes or no?

posted on Dec, 22 2014 @ 05:57 PM
link   

Japan has increased it's military budget for the past 3 years straight. Further it has authorized the military to fight overseas in a 2014 cabinet order that went significantly beyond it's pacifist traditions.

Things are changing in Japan!

www.bbc.com...

The request in the article was approved by the way.

posted on Dec, 22 2014 @ 06:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: noeltrotsky

Japan has increased it's military budget for the past 3 years straight. Further it has authorized the military to fight overseas in a 2014 cabinet order that went significantly beyond it's pacifist traditions.

Things are changing in Japan!

www.bbc.com...

The request in the article was approved by the way.
Yeah, a lot my friends here don't approve of that decision. Can't say I blame them though. A lot of the younger crowd are in favor of it, though.

posted on Dec, 22 2014 @ 07:21 PM
link   

Regards

Secondly:

There are people that are well off in Russia so you said yourself. They are part of a small circle of fortunate ones. Same goes in the West. It is a small circle but you think it is most people because the rest don't get heard.

I figured you would play that card though, so trick question. Can EVERYONE in the west live in prosperity if they work hard and follow their dreams? Yes or no?

In Russia there are people well off, certainly, but they are the well educated and skilled trades, just like in the west. Just like in the west, in Russia, if you, as you put it, disagree "with the status quo that states I must do 12 years of university and pick from a limited number of careers." You are going to be poor and hungry too.

An IT guy in Russia does very well. An engineer? Very well. A guy without an education or skill who wants to seek his dream of finger painting, not so much.

Yes, in the west a guy can do well if they work hard and follow their dreams. However, it is up to you to make it worthwhile and make a go of it. I know several skilled artists who quit corporate life and followed their dreams and now make a decent living sculpting and painting. The difference between you and they, is they got off their asses, quit blaming everyone else, and worked at it. The same dynamics work in Russia as they do in the West. Nobody is going to pay you squat unless you provide them with something they think has value-- this goes for Putin's favorites as well as to the people he does not like. Putin isn't going to pay you a good living so that you can contemplate your navel--you have to provide him some worth.

posted on Dec, 22 2014 @ 07:24 PM
link   
99% conviction rate in Russia and you are STILL less likely to end up in prison than if you were in America?

*munches on his freedom fries*

posted on Dec, 22 2014 @ 08:32 PM
link   

Regards

Secondly:

In Russia there are people well off, certainly, but they are the well educated and skilled trades, just like in the west. Just like in the west, in Russia, if you, as you put it, disagree "with the status quo that states I must do 12 years of university and pick from a limited number of careers." You are going to be poor and hungry too.

An IT guy in Russia does very well. An engineer? Very well. A guy without an education or skill who wants to seek his dream of finger painting, not so much.

Yes, in the west a guy can do well if they work hard and follow their dreams. However, it is up to you to make it worthwhile and make a go of it. I know several skilled artists who quit corporate life and followed their dreams and now make a decent living sculpting and painting. The difference between you and they, is they got off their asses, quit blaming everyone else, and worked at it. The same dynamics work in Russia as they do in the West. Nobody is going to pay you squat unless you provide them with something they think has value-- this goes for Putin's favorites as well as to the people he does not like. Putin isn't going to pay you a good living so that you can contemplate your navel--you have to provide him some worth.

So then what do you have against Russia? It is the same as the States. Except without the smoke and mirrors.

Get off my lazy ass? What do you think I do for a living? I should have stopped you back when you were talking about "marketable skills" but I honestly didn't think you would keep on that trip.

And you never answered my question. I made it Yes or No. Or if you like simply say you can't answer. Here it is again:

Can EVERYONE in the west live in prosperity if they work hard and follow their dreams? Yes or no?

Not ANYONE. I said EVERYONE.

edit on 22-12-2014 by MALBOSIA because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 23 2014 @ 03:35 AM
link   

Judging by his actions and his intentions Putin is a Hitler Clone as opposed to being in the mold of Stalin. You have cottoned on to a very important point about the Russian judicial system being used as political tool of the state like it was during the old Communist regime.

Russia like prewar Germany is a very authoritarian culture combine this with how so many Russian's view the Soviet Union as the good old days and you have a recipe for Europe replaying the 1930's with Russia playing the role of the Germans and the same outcome.

posted on Dec, 23 2014 @ 05:02 AM
link   
upload.wikimedia.org... in the US 5% of the population and 25% of the prisoners of the planet, more than 1.5 billion-China, what their terms or fines - does not compare with the Russian in Russia the number of years of imprisonment for life or a maximum of 25y and a condemnation of the heaviest article, do not add all in the US, and I personally know a lot of people prematurely released conditionally or received a suspended sentence or acquittal . with regard to Stalin's time, he planted those trotskyists who should be shoot with their families , to children and grandchildren not sabotaged and destroyed the Soviet Union and now Russia PS Compare "executioner" of Stalin and demonocracy Yeltsin www.picshare.ru...

posted on Dec, 23 2014 @ 06:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: xpert11
Judging by his actions and his intentions Putin is a Hitler Clone as opposed to being in the mold of Stalin. You have cottoned on to a very important point about the Russian judicial system being used as political tool of the state like it was during the old Communist regime.
Russia like prewar Germany is a very authoritarian culture combine this with how so many Russian's view the Soviet Union as the good old days and you have a recipe for Europe replaying the 1930's with Russia playing the role of the Germans and the same outcome.

There are many similarities between today's Russia and Pre WWII Germany.
- total control of the media with heavy propaganda usage
- a government controlled by one man alone
- perceived recent grievances against the country causing a loss of power and standing in the world
- many previously controlled territories around the country
- a fragile economic situation with people tired of it
- excellent military capabilities due to rapid increases in military budgets

I hate to compare anyone to Hitler because of his atrocities, which only Stalin has come even close to. Putin is, like Hitler, willing to use his military to correct perceived past injustices. And willing to use nationalism of these injustices to rally support among his citizens.

Today's situation in Russia is very explosive IMO. I believe this is why Obama is treading pretty lightly in Ukraine. He would rather it turn into a long, drawn out economic conflict that a hot war which is very possible.

posted on Dec, 23 2014 @ 06:17 AM
link   

And you never answered my question. I made it Yes or No. Or if you like simply say you can't answer. Here it is again:
Can EVERYONE in the west live in prosperity if they work hard and follow their dreams? Yes or no?

Democracy doesn't promise EVERYONE living in prosperity (like Communism does).
Democracy offers a way for anyone to gain prosperity. Everyone else gets only their basic needs covered.
If you don't want to follow the system, get the education and do the work in demand that gets you the prosperity it isn't Democracy that has failed you, it is simply you deciding that you don't like that deal.
I think you're getting the social contracts between Communism and Democracy mixed up.

posted on Dec, 23 2014 @ 06:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: noeltrotsky

Democracy doesn't promise EVERYONE living in prosperity (like Communism does).
Democracy offers a way for anyone to gain prosperity. Everyone else gets only their basic needs covered.
If you don't want to follow the system, get the education and do the work in demand that gets you the prosperity it isn't Democracy that has failed you, it is simply you deciding that you don't like that deal.
I think you're getting the social contracts between Communism and Democracy mixed up.

Actually it does everyone prosperity. But it is impossible for everyone. If we were all told that we can gain whatever we want but it has to come from someone else's pocket, it might not seem so enchanting. It's like everyone thinks there is a huge pot of free gold and all you have to do is work hard and you will get it. The truth is: look to your left, look to your right, if you want a pot of gold, you have TAKE it from someone else and there isn't enough for everyone. WOW! So advanced, so civilized. Like a bunch monkeys cheering about getting the most bananas out of the tree. Give them some suits, their important now.

People that have taken it never want to admit that it feels so good because others don't have it.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join