It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BREAKING: No Charges in Eric Garner Chokehold Case for Officer

page: 22
<< 19  20  21    23  24  25 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 4 2014 @ 03:04 PM
link   
a reply to: Highground

I completely agree, but if you already got the big fella on the ground, on his stomach, in control of his arms... If the dude says he can't breathe, cuff him, roll him over, make sure he's okay and call a paramedic. Additionally, if this guy had been arrested dozens of time before, it would stand to reason that the police there are well aware of his Asthma and any other health problems, as these are recorded during all booking procedures at local jails.

posted on Dec, 4 2014 @ 03:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: thrustbucket

originally posted by: amazing

originally posted by: thrustbucket

originally posted by: boymonkey74
a reply to: thrustbucket

But what you have just said would be illegal.
Isn't their motto "Courtesy, Professionalism, Respect"? I didn't see any of that in the video and how the officers restrained him.
People have rights not to be harmed while being placed under arrest even when they resist.
I thought you guys in the states are all for rights.....
Only when it suits you eh?.

The cop should definitely have faced some kind of internal harsh review of how he handled the situation. But he didn't commit a crime, and he shouldn't be treated as a criminal.

Regardless, you guys need to consider that this Cop's life is ruined now. Neither he or his family is safe in the short term. They'll likely have to move to another state and he'll probably never be in law enforcement again. He'll have to go be a waiter or something somewhere. It's too bad that isn't enough to appease those of you on the cop witch hunt. You won't rest until he's behind bars as some kind of message sent to all underpaid and over worked cops in the country, right?

We just don't want to be killed, raped and tortured by the police anymore. That's all we want. We also just want to know that cops aren't above the law. That's all we want.

I 100% agree.
Unfortunately there is no evidence in this particular case of anything you mentioned.

um wrong. They killed him.

posted on Dec, 4 2014 @ 03:32 PM
link   
a reply to: ausername

Easy to say, unless you are of a race that perceives themselves to be victims of racist law enforcers, or disproportionately the victims of profiling and abuse by police and the justice system.

And how would you know exactly what my race is? Assumption can also be a dangerous thing.

posted on Dec, 4 2014 @ 03:33 PM
link   
a reply to: amazing

Well you would have to prove that their actions directly resulted in his death.

posted on Dec, 4 2014 @ 03:37 PM
link   
a reply to: ScientificRailgun

Additionally, if this guy had been arrested dozens of time before, it would stand to reason that the police there are well aware of his Asthma and any other health problems, as these are recorded during all booking procedures at local jails.

Excellent point! I hadn't even thought about that...the guy had 31 arrests or something, right, so logic would dictate that at least some of those occurred in the same bailiwick and they'd have to have some kind of record of his medical issues. Not that I believe in this particular case it would have mattered, but I wonder if that was brought up at all?

posted on Dec, 4 2014 @ 03:38 PM
link   
The sides of NYPD police squad cars read-

Courtesy
Professionalism
Respect

Or CPR. Oh, the irony. Something more suiting might be ...."Step out of line and you're dead."

thenypost.files.wordpress.com...

posted on Dec, 4 2014 @ 03:41 PM
link   
a reply to: tigertatzen

Why do people take things personally?

That response was NOT directed at YOU... But in general to the idea that "the issue is not race" and how THAT is a matter of perspective. If you had quoted the whole post I think that point should be obvious, however, just in case you are being serious... I apologize for the misunderstanding.
edit on 4-12-2014 by ausername because: (no reason given)

(post by TownCryer removed for a manners violation)

posted on Dec, 4 2014 @ 03:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: Collateral

Well you would have to prove that their actions directly resulted in his death.

Well exactly...a trial would be good. A public trial with witnesses, cross examinations, expert testimony and detailed analysis or...we could just let the cop go without question and you could go on believing that choking a guy to death from behind that wasn't really even struggling is okay. You could go on believing that de-escalation tactics never work. eh?

posted on Dec, 4 2014 @ 05:05 PM
link   

Yes, a trial would be good, however he needs to be charged with wrongdoing before that can happen.
The lengthy process shows that he wasn't just let go "without question" as you put it; and I don't condone judging this Police officer based on injustice in Ferguson.

I think you would find, that in the correct situation, de-escalation tactics are extremely effective, when used properly.

You say the guy was not struggling; well I think that comes down to opinion...he wasn't exactly cooperating either was he?

Its a very sad thing that this person died for nothing, however I don't think its fair to judge an officer based on the colour of the skin of the victim or vice versa.

I notice that there were a couple of black NYPD personnel present at the time of the whole situation happening...they didnt seem to think anything was overly excessive or race related.

posted on Dec, 4 2014 @ 05:25 PM
link   
The fault does seem to lie with the one cop doing the choke hold, when the two others had the man's arms in restraint he should have let off at that point. The other police seemed to be doing a more proper restraint instead of trying to twist some guys neck off. The only failure with them is failing to stop the fellow officer, they should have given him a hard tap on the shoulder or some other clue to let off once they had the arms in a lock hold since he wasn't going anywhere at that point.

However I'm surprised no charges managed to stick on the police officer. I wouldn't be surprised if there's a wrongful death lawsuit coming up though.

posted on Dec, 4 2014 @ 05:31 PM
link   
I think he is in the wrong 100% as RNC's are a no-no in policing policy, IIRC.

Do I think he was trying to kill the guy? No.
Should he be charged? Yes.

He would never, in a million years be found guilty of murder. At best (for the prosecution) you would be aiming for manslaughter or negligent conduct resulting in death.

posted on Dec, 4 2014 @ 06:19 PM
link   
Are you insane?

This isn't a matter of resisting orders...It's a matter of empathy!
A man drew his last breaths in this world begging for his life.
Police aren't the Gestapo. We don't send them out to kill people.

posted on Dec, 4 2014 @ 06:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: neo96

originally posted by: DirtyD
The last three words out of this man's mouth was,"I can't breath."

This is an outrage.

Outrage ?

If you can speak you can breathe.

If the guy was really being choked he couldn't do either.

That is completely erroneous.
If his airway was constricted then he couldn't breathe IN

posted on Dec, 4 2014 @ 06:45 PM
link   

edit on 4-12-2014 by gorsestar because: dp

posted on Dec, 4 2014 @ 06:45 PM
link   
a reply to: gorsestar

Hyperbolic nonsense.

The police are there to police and if required, to enforce the law, so YES, it does matter if he is resisting arrest.

I suggest you google the Gestapo and actually learn in-depth about the kind of things they did, before comparing them to the NYPD as it is both ridiculous and offensive.

posted on Dec, 4 2014 @ 06:50 PM
link   
a reply to: Collateral

Policemen need compassion more than rigidity.

Don't you agree?

edit on 4-12-2014 by gorsestar because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 4 2014 @ 06:53 PM
link   

They need a range of emotions.
Their job is to follow the rules of written law and enforce it. Compassion is for Judge and Jury.

posted on Dec, 4 2014 @ 07:02 PM
link   

The police are there to police and if required, to enforce the law, so YES, it does matter if he is resisting arrest.

Actually, no it doesn't. Resisting is not a capital crime. Though if you can show me in the use of force continuum where it says officers are allowed to use deadly force on an individual who is resisting but presenting no threat, I'll gladly concede.

posted on Dec, 4 2014 @ 07:10 PM
link   

Compassion is for Judge and Jury.

Did you see the picture of the killer smiling and waving at the camera?

new topics

top topics

<< 19  20  21    23  24  25 >>

join