It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

White Guilt...The Newest Form of Racism

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 1 2014 @ 02:05 PM
link   
a reply to: Evil_Santa

What about the non whites who were sold to slavers by their own people? Or are still enslaved around the globe? I know whites are still involved in slavery but it's not a white monopoly. People of all races are exploiters, greedily selling their own.

I went to see a British anarcho band called Cress in NYC. They had a banner that said "See the white man destroy culture". I like their music but they would've been dragged out kicking and screaming if they had a banner that said "See how all races destroy culture."

posted on Dec, 1 2014 @ 02:13 PM
link   
a reply to: tothetenthpower

Do you feel the same way about other cultures/races/civilizations that lost wars of conquest though out history?

They lost their war. The price of failure isn't sunshine and unicorns I'm afraid. Who forces them to live on reservations?

I have a few friends that are full blooded American Indians from various tribes and they don't live on reservations. They don't ask for anything for free and they work for what they have.

You can be ashamed for whatever you want to be ashamed for. That is your right. Having shame for what was done before your grandparents were born makes no logical sense, but emotional often requires no logic. Anger I understand, frustration I can understand, guilt and shame I just don't see.

posted on Dec, 1 2014 @ 02:20 PM
link   
a reply to: 200Plus

I might agree with you if that particular genocide had actually been a war of conquest and not the wholesale slaughter that it was.

posted on Dec, 1 2014 @ 02:21 PM
link   
Tell you what, if people keep pushing ordinary white folks into all this rubbish, they won't like the backlash.

Honesty, equality and respect....Only real flakes would deny those 3 principles, but the way things are going, all this vitriol and hate towards white people, well, a lot are just going to think that maybe the extreme right wing organisations were right all along. Then where will we all be?
edit on 00pMon, 01 Dec 2014 14:32:00 -060020142014-12-01T14:32:00-06:00kAmerica/Chicago31000000k by SprocketUK because: spelling

link   
I know what mean, because i went to college, then university, im seen as having a privilege upbringing, completely wrong, the only reason i had a good education was because i worked and paid for it, if at any time i happened to be out of work, more education, i hate sitting on arse doing nothing!. As for paying for sins of our fathers, bad things happened back then, the past cant be fixed or repeated, but the next 10 generation shouldnt have to feel guilty or pay for it, just live your life in the now not the past.a reply to: Yeahkeepwatchingme

link   
a reply to: whyamIhere

I am white. I'm curious of this "privilege" you speak of. I've yet to experience anything that was not gained through me working for it. Getting the job in the first place wasn't easy and if you lose a job, you better hope there is a back up plan. Nothing I've been through makes me feel like I've had any sort of "advantage" or "privilege."

posted on Dec, 1 2014 @ 02:22 PM
link   
a reply to: CagliostroTheGreat

Was the Roman conquest of Gaul any different? or Briton? Do you think the Celts and Picts would agree with you?

edit on 1-12-2014 by 200Plus because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 1 2014 @ 02:27 PM
link   
a reply to: 200Plus

I guess you have a point. However I am quote sure you would see things differently if you were on the receiving end if that conquest. I don't support wars of conquest, however, and I am repulsed by such wanton destruction. I guess my opinion is quite biased in regards to this subject.

posted on Dec, 1 2014 @ 02:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: fieldyznutz

I am white. I'm curious of this "privilege" you speak of. I've yet to experience anything that was not gained through me working for it.

im curious about this as well.
ive never been hired because i am white and had to have the demographics evened out.
im not aware of any loans or grants available to me simply because im white

posted on Dec, 1 2014 @ 02:32 PM
link   
a reply to: CagliostroTheGreat

Don't misunderstand what I am saying. I do not support such wars either. I just understand that they happened and the consequences of them happening.

I have witnessed the brutality of man believe me. No one is more anti-war than an actual soldier.

posted on Dec, 1 2014 @ 02:32 PM
link   
en.wikipedia.org...

^^^established in 1944

In 2005, the UNCF supported approximately 65,000 students at over 900 colleges and universities with approximately $113 million in grants and scholarships
-------------

i was wrong and i admit when i am wrong

there is a fund for whites....established way way back in the days of 1994

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Dec, 1 2014 @ 02:33 PM
link   
Just about every race has enslaved other races, nationalities, religions etc. Some have even captured and sold there own into slavery. How much guilt do the Egyptians. Romans (Greek), and the Sub-Saharan Africans feel today.

I am a white male and I feel no guilt.

posted on Dec, 1 2014 @ 02:35 PM
link   
a reply to: NotMoose

And wasn't the first slave owner in the US a black man? I know whenever that's brought up the answers are usually: "That's irrelevant" "So what?" "You're gonna let the past decide for us??"

I guess historical facts are supposed to hurt only one group.

posted on Dec, 1 2014 @ 02:36 PM
link   
What causes these eruptions of whining?

"White Guilt" is some BS that was popularized by the right in the late 70's as a way of disparaging white people on the left. End of story.

There's nobody more obsessed with race in this country than white conservatives. Instead of talking about slavery, lets talk about what happened in the 100 years following slavery. Segregation ended a mere 50 years ago. In the first several decades of the 20th century, many southern blacks migrated to the north to escape Jim Crow laws and were often greeted with de facto segregation. As an example: I live in NJ and the town I live in had an ordinance until the 60's that prevented people from selling property/homes to black folks. Not that they were good candidates for mortgages or other loans in the first place.

Despite this, the northern migration was a main factor in black folks making substantial inroads toward economy parity — right up until the mid-late 70's when manufacturing employment peaked. The reasons why black folks were hit disproportionately hard by the loss of manufacturing jobs are many.

If anyone is really interested in fixing problems then lets be honest about how we got where we are today.

edit on 2014-12-1 by theantediluvian because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 1 2014 @ 02:41 PM
link   
a reply to: theantediluvian

I personally know many white conservatives who pull the race card, go to social media to racially demonize and crack racist jokes in the media (and get off scot free).

Also, I know many white conservatives who hate on blacks while dating black women, cry about black people while taking the advantages given to them by black people.

I had no idea white conservatives cared so much about race. I thought it was the other way around

posted on Dec, 1 2014 @ 02:46 PM
link   

Do you feel the same way about other cultures/races/civilizations that lost wars of conquest though out history?

A genocide is not a war. A genocide means the other side has no actual means of retaliation.

Who forces them to live on reservations?

That's a rich question. We did obviously.

Since we literally took their woman and children and shoved them into reserves. We did indeed, FORCE them to live there.

Anger I understand, frustration I can understand, guilt and shame I just don't see.

Maybe it's because you don't see it as an ongoing genocide, like I do. And when I see that nobody gives a damn, and were just allowing a whole culture of people to die off, without so much as a whimper, it does certainly make me frustrated and upset.

That's what shames me, not the past, but the current, apathetic status quo.

~Tenth

posted on Dec, 1 2014 @ 02:48 PM
link   
a reply to: tothetenthpower

And now we have politicians of all colors who continue the practices. Just like we always had people of all colors practicing wars and genocides.

posted on Dec, 1 2014 @ 02:49 PM
link   
a reply to: Yeahkeepwatchingme

anthony johnson
en.wikipedia.org...

Anthony Johnson (c1600–1670) was an Angolan who achieved freedom in the early 17th century Colony of Virginia, where he became one of the first black property owners and slaveholders. Held as an indentured servant in 1621, he earned his freedom after several years, which was accompanied by a grant of land. He later became a successful tobacco farmer. Notably, he is recognized for attaining great wealth after having been an indentured servant.

posted on Dec, 1 2014 @ 02:50 PM
link   
a reply to: Grovit

My history teachers never taught me that.

So I don't know if they're racist or just don't want to be called racists. I had to learn that myself, by reading about him on the internet.

posted on Dec, 1 2014 @ 02:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: Pitou
I believe in historical awareness, to be able to understand things and put them into perspective, and also to understand why certain things are the way they are (regardless of whether that's fair or unfair). I don't believe in guilt or self-flagellation because of it;

As you said >>>"Historical Awareness" The world has evolved and we

are or should be more enlightened and educated now. So ALL

of us need to look forward and move on .... There were many

inequalities in the past, and it doesn't serve any purpose dwelling on

them, and continuing to carry a chip on their shoulders.

Things have never been equal there has always been an underclass for

what ever reason. There was once a white underclass called *servants*

who were paid little and lived a life of drudgery servicing the *upper

classes* and existing 'below stairs'

Then until less than a hundred years ago there were *women* who were

classed as chattel to the male. Domestic violence was not recognised,

a man was free to beat his wife. A woman could not own property or

vote.

Now we have 'single mothers' of children, then they were 'ba5tards'

and what about child labour and I'm not talking about 3rd world

countries but here in the UK working at 12 years was not unusual.

A hundred years ago if you did not come from a rich family, you

were disadvantaged through lack of education.

So there's always been an element of unfairness? However things have

improved and people in general should take advantage of it an move

forward instead of 'blaming' and drop that 'chip on their shoulder' that

they are carrying from long ago!

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join