It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

White Guilt...The Newest Form of Racism

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

posted on Dec, 1 2014 @ 06:37 PM

originally posted by: KawRider9
a reply to: whyamIhere

That's why I haven't looked up my families past. I have no desire to be thrilled or upset.

I'm Irish, Welsh and Indian. I know that my family, generations ago, did good and bad deeds. I alo know bad deeds were done to them.

None of those past deeds changes ANYTHING in my future. I can complain about it, but is all moot at this point. All I can do is not judge on past deeds, live in the now and try my best at helping my fellow American, no matter their skin tone.

Irish welch and Indian?

Yikes my family likely F your family up on all three acounts

In fact being related to english aristocracy right up to the 1900 is there any race of people my family hasnt screwed over?

posted on Dec, 1 2014 @ 06:39 PM

originally posted by: magnetik
a reply to: Yeahkeepwatchingme

I believe reparations should be in the form, of business loans and school funding.

And who bloody well pays for them? As im dam well not!

posted on Dec, 1 2014 @ 06:40 PM
a reply to: crazyewok

Finally, somebody who's family tree is as hideous as mine.

I feel much better now...

posted on Dec, 1 2014 @ 06:52 PM
a reply to: Nyiah

You are correct about Zimbabwe. I apologize about that.

posted on Dec, 1 2014 @ 07:01 PM

originally posted by: Sremmos80
How about we just acknowledge that what happened in our past was just down right disgusting? Instead of just ignoring it and saying the past is the past. It happend and the values people had back then are still alive today.
We are just over 50 years of not having laws on the books that treated people as sub human so this 200 year mark is bunk.
I get the don't blame me for the sins of my father, but doesn't mean we can't be the bigger man and apologize for it.

WHat do i have to apologize for? I didnt own any slave.......

I work hard so that my kids can have opportunities that I didnt, Id say thats a privilege......and im damn sure not going to apologize for that........and when they grow up, they sure as hell shouldnt either....

posted on Dec, 1 2014 @ 07:20 PM
Mine prob traded them, scotish/viking/native am indian, that probally explaines my temper!, im going to have to jump on a plane one day to research the indian part of my family ancestors, ive done scots and norway. After reading threads/posts the other day, this one has impressed me, a lot have posted and taken part, some difference of opinion, but for most, very civil with no personal insults or below the belt comments. Good eggs you lot!! a reply to: whyamIhere

posted on Dec, 1 2014 @ 07:23 PM

originally posted by: Nyiah

Us foreign kids that were there, be it base kids or international school kids, got a pretty clear idea that black Americans, at the very least, were despised. The Africans, not so much, black Brits, not so much. Black Americans? Opportunist trouble, period. My dad worked with both a black American & a black Brit during our time in the country, the difference in how they were treated was amazing, it was obviously a country of origin thing & not entirely a skin thing. They still distrusted black people as a whole, but the black Americans had practically zero credibility & integrity in their eyes.

Something that puzzles me .... In the UK, America, Canada , Italy or any

other country you care to name, you have living in those countries,

Poles/ Germans/ Spaniards /Russians and many other nationalities.

When there are any official forms to fill in, they all fill in their

appropriate nationalities.

So how come Africans are referred to as either *Black American

*Black British or *African American.?

Is there something wrong with just being plain African? I don't believe

any other nation 'twins their nationality with another? .... Is there

anything wrong with being an African in France/Italy/England/USA or

any where else for that matter?

posted on Dec, 1 2014 @ 07:25 PM
American Asians have done a good job of extricating themselves from poverty.

Blacks have not. Is it a problem of discrimination or is it a cultural problem?

Asians exhort education, as do Jews. Meanwhile, black urban culture glorifies violence and gang culture.

Maybe it isn't discrimination as much as it is a vicious cycle of poverty and violence that spawns an equal and opposite reaction from law enforcement. Which came first, the chicken or the egg?

People talk of discrimination, but what of responsibility, what of being responsible for one's actions? As a person, as a community.

These young black men that were shot were not innocent angels, they both exhibited a thuggish mindset, posing with guns and such. Yet if one were to believe the media they were innocent toddlers.

This progressive movement have gone from striving for equality to pandering, entitlement, delusion and institutionalized inequality(Affirmative Action), ironically in the name of equality. Not to mention how much it has divided the populace.

Frankly I don't see how the USA can be saved at this point, intact at least. It has lost itself and I think both the founding fathers and Martin Luther King would turn in their graves if they could see what was happening.

On that note, watch the Boondocks episode where Martin Luther King does come back.

posted on Dec, 1 2014 @ 07:30 PM
In the u.k on forms we have afro carribean or black mostly, the people i know all use black, they think black people born and raised in usa are just americans a reply to: eletheia

posted on Dec, 1 2014 @ 07:36 PM
a reply to: Yeahkeepwatchingme

That's the whole crux of the issue. I'm told by society that i need to have "white straight man guilt" by multiple factions, but considering i'm the decedents of indentured servants, I'm confused on where the guilt is supposed to come from.

People in the 21st century. Whaddya think of next?

posted on Dec, 1 2014 @ 07:37 PM
a reply to: eletheia

Italian Americans? They are quite notorious the world over. There are many other groups that "twin" their nationality, though I believe it is less common these days. Now they're mostly just white people if of European descent. Except maybe the aforementioned Italian Americans and maybe the Irish. I'm not even an American so what do I know?

I think the answer is rather simple, it's because the US population was made up of immigrants from all over the world, thus people called the Italians Italian Americans and so on.

I suppose it's just the way things evolved and not indicative of anything, were you suggesting anything in particular?

posted on Dec, 1 2014 @ 07:49 PM

I think it's because most things in America are recorded and tracked.

How many of ______ did _______ last month. Check the database.

It gets crazy at times. Sometimes I'm white, sometimes Other, sometimes I fill in Anglo-Celtic-Saxon just for fun. I even have a friend that identifies as Afro-Greek-Rican-American, but that's a whole other ball of wax.

edit on 1-12-2014 by 200Plus because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 1 2014 @ 07:56 PM
a reply to: TheLaughingGod

LOL!!... Italian/American was a bad example I gave, Who doesn't

remember Frank Sinartra?? or Al Capone?

No specific reason, but it seems to be more an American trait to do so

than in the UK or elsewhere.

I personally think its a shame that many nationalities are comprising their

differences .... I say "Vive la difference" it makes the world more

and interesting ........

posted on Dec, 1 2014 @ 08:05 PM

originally posted by: 200Plus
I think it's because most things in America are recorded and tracked.
How many of ______ did _______ last month. Check the database.
It gets crazy at times. Sometimes I'm white, sometimes Other, sometimes I fill in Anglo-Celtic-Saxon just for fun. I even have a friend that identifies as Afro-Greek-Rican-American, but that's a whole other ball of wax.

A few years ago with a couple of family members I did our 'family tree'

and the fact that these records were kept helped enormously in

doing so. The fact that people kept to their race of origin in the

past made it easier to put things together, and the differences was

what made it very much more interesting.

posted on Dec, 1 2014 @ 09:09 PM

Just saw this on TV while reading your post and others post on this post and I was like eh, why not.

posted on Dec, 2 2014 @ 12:28 AM

originally posted by: eletheia

originally posted by: rickymouse

I feel more bad for the way some people are treated to inequality today than what happened a century or more ago. We need to treat others fairly today, and not give them extra because a few slave owners capitalized on slaves.

Yes I believe in fairness, but fairness to ALL.

Not the fairness which is loaded against the best 'person' for

a vacant position.

Employers have to fulfil a 'quota' percentage of immigrants/

blacks, even if their qualifications are not as good as the 'best person

for the job'.

But that isn't fair if a black person gets a job just because of a quota. They do the same thing with hiring woman contractors and women on jobs. It should be about hiring someone who is qualified and gets along with the others on the job. I understand that discrimination makes this hard though. Some white people do not like black people and some blacks don't like whites. So forcing them to work together is not productive either. The same thing happens with women in construction jobs sometimes. I had a qualified woman apply once and I told her that my other two workers both said they would take a buck cut in pay if I hired her. She was a looker. I told her I probably wouldn't get any work out of the guys anymore as they would be chasing her tail. She laughed. She was a nice person but I couldn't hire her. She could have done all the work we did too. But I had to keep my guys working, that was my priority. I can't make any money if two guys are tending a woman doing all the work.

posted on Dec, 2 2014 @ 01:00 AM

originally posted by: tothetenthpower

Here's the thing though. If you don't talk about the privilege afforded to some, then you can't really discuss how others are being discriminated against?

Mind you, America is probably one of the more racist countries on the planet. And that's because of your media and political/socio-economic systems, not really the people.

But yeah, growing up I had tons of advantages as a white, relatively wealthy male.

Still do, if I compare that to the struggle of some I know, even in my own community, how have more education and have better work ethics than I do.

I always said that if you want to stop racism, you have to stop participating in it. But, we do also have to come to terms that there are groups who are whole hardheartedly disenfranchised from all sides.

And we blame for their own predicament. That's the sad part.

The US isn't anywhere near "the most racist country(s) on the planet." You really don't know what you're talking about and cannot cite any empirical data to support your assertion. Try Israel or any middle eastern country. They're racist to the core and kill for it. Heck we elected a black president for because we're such a racist nation

posted on Dec, 2 2014 @ 01:50 AM
Diversity and Multiculturalism is code word for anti-white racism. Anyone that thinks otherwise is ignorant and not paying attention. There is a war against white people being waged right now in America and all over the world. A few replies in this thread make my stomach turn. There is no such thing as white male privilege anymore. Look around you. Women are dominating corporate board rooms. Black athletes, entertainers, news figures, etc. are raking in millions. This notion that we still live in a white man's world is a pathetic one. And this notion that America is racist is disgusting. As a "gringo" in Mexico I've been treated worse than I'd ever think of treating a Mexican in my country. Mexicans come to my country and get free healthcare, free education, free food. You know what I"d get as a gringo in Mexico? Notta, zip, zero, zilch. Even Native Americans are living on MILLIONS of acres without having to abide by any of the white man's laws etc. And they still complain about injustice. I'd be happy to own 5-10 acres!!!!!!!!!!!

posted on Dec, 2 2014 @ 02:11 AM
I never liked the idea or the belief in 'white guilt.'

I sleep damn well at night. Why? Because I have a clear conscience. I haven't done anything absurd enough for me to be that way.

However, I am guilty of being white. You got me red-handed.

But seriously, it comes down to the INDIVIDUAL. Yes, that's right folks, the INDIVIDUAL. Let a persons actions show their character. Get to know them and hate them for some of that stuff at least. But then again, not at all would be best.

posted on Dec, 2 2014 @ 02:26 AM
a reply to: Honcho

The failures of multiculturalism and diversity have NOTHING to do with individuals and everything to do with "the group". That is the basis of culture. It harkens back to the days of tribes and tribalism. Some of which still exists today. It's like the US military. On an individual basis a lot of soldiers are normal, well intentioned people. Overall the US military is a corrupt, tyrannical force being used to the detriment of the American people by our government. The US military's objective of protecting the people and defending the Constitution went out the window decades ago.....hence our current President crapping all over the Constitution and our current illegal immigration problem. Two examples for which our politicians and loser in chief as well as top military brass should be charged with treason.

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>