It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

White Guilt...The Newest Form of Racism

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 1 2014 @ 12:27 PM
link   
a reply to: whyamIhere

But they are not gone, some are very much still stuck in what that thought process created.
Again we need to set the date to the 60s as that is when the government finally changed the laws.

posted on Dec, 1 2014 @ 12:29 PM
link   
No white guilt here, either. Whether or not a family owned slaves in past centuries, is irrelevant to today's issues. In fact, I believe that with enough digging, everyone is related, in some way or another, to someone who owned slaves, regardless of their race.

My heritage is Irish, and Native American (Iroquois Nation). My ancestors were treated atrociously throughout history, but because my skin tone is light, I am expected to have guilt? Yeah, not going to happen, ever.

'whyamihere' has it right; it's just another form of racism, and is just as hypocritical as any other.
edit on 12/1/2014 by ProfessorChaos because: typo

posted on Dec, 1 2014 @ 12:30 PM
link   
a reply to: sdubya

I was specifically pointing out the economic system and the media as making the US the most racist country on the planet.

You don't see other nations basically running a Salem Witch trial to get the President to show his birth certificate do you?

That's the sort of thing I mean. American politics and media are deeply entrenched in racism. It makes them a lot of money.

`Tenth

posted on Dec, 1 2014 @ 12:31 PM
link   
a reply to: AnIntellectualRedneck

Not a fan of the term "cracker", kinda fond of "cheese supporting waffer"...
edit on 1-12-2014 by KawRider9 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 1 2014 @ 12:34 PM
link   
a reply to: magnetik

What proof is going to be required for these reparations? Skin tone? Are second generation African Americans going to get free college and loans for 200 year old slavery?

What about the Irish? They getting some bennies too?

Are first and second generation white Americans going to be exempt from paying taxes to pay for this BS?

There were reparations already. It's called Liberia. THE most racist country in the world. You must be black to be a citizen.

posted on Dec, 1 2014 @ 12:35 PM
link   
One problem I have with this "white guilt" thing is its only white people that talk about it.
So we made up our own form of racism against our self?
I do not feel guilty at all about my skin color, I feel guilty that our fathers treated people the way they did and didn't take issue with it.
You can feel bad for what happened with out feeling guilty.

posted on Dec, 1 2014 @ 12:36 PM
link   
a reply to: magnetik

That's what's been going on lately. Scholarships, access to education. Meanwhile most whites are stuck paying for loans, competing for jobs because apparently we're the evil warlords. My local community college insists on giving scholarships to black kids from the city and no I'm not afraid to say it. We have drug dealers, vandalism, robberies, a few shootings over the years. The grounds have police that patrol them and every morning it's bottles of empty alcohol in the halls, on the grounds. Garbage thrown everywhere, graffiti.

This is by no means a description of every school that allows this, but it shows how education is taken for granted, especially when others go out of their way to provide it out of guilt, or shame or media-induced tail-between-your-legs syndrome.

posted on Dec, 1 2014 @ 12:36 PM
link   
a reply to: tothetenthpower

Well I can see the media race baiting all the time, so I agree with you there.

As far as the economic system, what inherently makes the economic system racist? Money is money to me.

Yeah, the birth certificate thing brought out the racists and Islamaphobes. Personally, I don't care where he was born but I would be outraged if we were lied to (I doubt it).

posted on Dec, 1 2014 @ 12:37 PM
link   
a reply to: Sremmos80

They only changed because certain political parties decided to take advantage of black people in order to secure votes. I remember reading LBJ proudly stating We'll have them voting democrat for 200 years.......

posted on Dec, 1 2014 @ 12:38 PM
link   
I don't feel guilty. My family never owned slaves, in fact they were probably just slaves to their jobs most of their lives. I'll let those who's family fortune was derived from slave labor feel guilty....Oh wait, they don't care how their ancestors got rich, just as long as they stay rich.

Don't feel guilty if you did nothing wrong. I feel more bad for the way some people are treated to inequality today than what happened a century or more ago. We need to treat others fairly today, and not give them extra because a few slave owners capitalized on slaves. Most people did not own slaves and not all who owned slaves treated these people bad. Some treated them as hired hands making sure they had food and shelter.

You can't lump everything together, you have to look at things individually.

posted on Dec, 1 2014 @ 12:41 PM
link   

Thank you!

It's about time white people grew a pair and stood up to the .....

posted on Dec, 1 2014 @ 12:42 PM
link   
a reply to: Yeahkeepwatchingme

Excellent points.

Things given to people do not have the same value.

My Dad gave me my first car. I completely trashed it.

When I busted my butt to buy my own.

I washed and cleaned it constantly. It's because I earned it.

posted on Dec, 1 2014 @ 12:46 PM
link   

I grew up in a middle class family, some things were given to me, others I had to go out and earn. But it shows how we can provide pretty much everything, but if ungrateful racists (in general) just take and scream White! out the window then it's not on us.

I advise people to look up Dowling College on Long Island. They literally had a town living in fear at night because of the inner city kids who would fan out from the dorms into the upper middle class/upper class white neighborhood of Oakdale, Islip Terrace, up and down Montauk Avenue. And guess what? Most were on scholarships, proud to walk around in Dowling sports outfits, the track suits, the gym shorts. And it was always loud music till 4 in the morning, dealers. A kid had his laptop stolen by one of the inner city kids, the kid gave the cops a fake name. He was arrested, next day, back in the dorms.

Please, please look up Dowling College and if possible, ask the locals. This is just one example out of the many.

posted on Dec, 1 2014 @ 12:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: tothetenthpower
a reply to: sdubya

I was specifically pointing out the economic system and the media as making the US the most racist country on the planet.

You don't see other nations basically running a Salem Witch trial to get the President to show his birth certificate do you?

That's the sort of thing I mean. American politics and media are deeply entrenched in racism. It makes them a lot of money.

`Tenth

This is the crux. Politics and media. Unless and until all races in this country see both of these social engineering tools for what they are, racism will continue unabated in this country perpetually.

posted on Dec, 1 2014 @ 12:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: whyamIhere

You can imagine how thrilled I was when I found out my family owned slaves.

I could of lived my whole life without knowing that little tidbit of information.

I am ashamed...But, it was 200 years ago.

no guilt here...not a drop

my ancestors might have owned slaves...has nothing to do with me...
dont know if they did, dont care if they did

a lot of white people do have that guilt on them though. i just dont understand it
a lot of black people love to keep reminding white people about slavery....

go back a little further than slavery in america and there is a good chance that those same black peoples ancestors bought and sold slaves as well.

thats fine though...they can get a pass

posted on Dec, 1 2014 @ 12:56 PM
link   
No " white guilt" here. I guess all of the black folk haven't bothered to look into the white Irish slaves and how they were treated in comparison.

Africans had been enslaved by their own people for hundreds if not thousands of years before the " white devil" started buying them in the early 18th century, from their own African brothers and sisters. Slavery still exists in Africa today.

The Irish were raided from their homes and forced into slavery, they were worth basically nothing, did the jobs that the slave owners wouldn't risk their black slaves for, because the black slaves had a monetary value the Irish slaves didn't. The Irish were forced into slavery by the British for religious differences. Not only were they the first slaves shipped to the Americas but many..many more thousands of them died working for their "masters" than black slaves did because they had little or no monetary value, they were basically animals.

Slavery in itself is disgusting, its a black mark on all of our ancestors. Throughout history all of our cultures/races have been subject to slavery.

I find the whole debate or issue of racism completely one sided, when compared to other cultures and races that were enslaved the black folk were treated better. ( still treated bad but not as bad)

posted on Dec, 1 2014 @ 12:58 PM
link   
I have absolutely no guilt. I don't owe anyone anything, especially not for my color.
I also don't believe in white privilege. The way I see it is, the idea of one color being more privileged than the other comes straight from media propaganda, and people not wanting to take responsibility for their actions.

There isn't white privilege. There isn't privilege in general. If you want something, you fight for it. Things aren't just given to you in this world. There are white people who attend Harvard, but guess what? They don't let just anyone into Harvard. They probably maintained a 4.0 GPA and did a ton of extra curricular activities all through high school. There are white people who are rich, but they went to school and got a well paying job, or used their skills to create something, like Bill Gates or Steve Jobs. But on the flip side, there are homeless white people, struggling white people, starving white people. There are white people with incurable illnesses that prevent them from getting jobs. There are gay white males, who get talked down on everyday. There are white females getting raped and abused. There are white teenagers getting into trouble on the streets. How are they privileged?

There are also black people who attend Harvard. And we are led to believe that they put in the same work that a white student did in order to get accepted. There are black people who are rich and famous, (Jonathon Vilma, who's net worth is 21 million. Or LaRon Landry who's net worth is 25.7 million.) but it wasn't just handed to them. They used their skills, and started using them young. But on the same flip side, there are black people with the same struggles as white people.

Let's talk about the colored community for a minute: Black people have many different things to help advance them along. They have the NAACP (Which isn't needed. We're passed the time when black people couldn't get the same education, and the like. And when it comes to jobs, politics, etc, it should be the people most qualified to get the position. And if the person who is qualified is black, so be it. But if they are white, so be it as well.) Colleges will often overlook a qualified white student in order to accept a black student who is less qualified in order to side step a discrimination case, and so on and so on.

The people who scream that white people are so privileged are the same kids who are running the streets, and the adults living on welfare because they don't want to get a job. They expect that things be equally well for everyone, but the world just doesn't work that way. You have to work and put effort towards what you want. I would be extremely pissed if I was passed over for something I was qualified for, and I found out it went to a less qualified person.

You can't backtalk and attack authority and expect to get very far, you can't be lazy and expect to get very far. Be respectful, be patient, and work your ass off, and good things will come to you whether you're black or white.

And I personally, will not ever feel guilty just because I am white and I'm doing well in life. And I sure as hell will not let someone (white or black) treat me like crap because I am doing better than them via my own doing, and because of what my family may or may not have done to their family during slave times. Live in the present, everyone. Grow up and live in the now!

posted on Dec, 1 2014 @ 01:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: 200Plus

What about the Irish? They getting some bennies too?

if thats the case, hook me up.
im irish. my family came over in the mid 1800's.
the irish were treated terrible

how about some reparations?
im trying to get paid

posted on Dec, 1 2014 @ 01:03 PM
link   
I don't even consider myself white. When I fill in the slot for race I always just write in "human".

posted on Dec, 1 2014 @ 01:10 PM
link   
Sympathy may be justified up to about 1965. The half century hence? No. Now it's nothing but an excuse, a political pawn, an activist money maker, a grant cash cow for Big Foundations and Big Government Slush Funds. Too many blacks have pulled themselves up out of poverty and gone on to be successful in whatever field they have chosen, so whites have nothing to feel guilty about. It's all about personal choice now. Period.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join