It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Omnivore rage!!!

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 10 2004 @ 10:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by ANOK
Where do you guys get your info from?

If we didn't eat meat our brains would have not have evovled?
That's a new one

How about doing some research before ya'll try to spread your wisdom on a forum?

Perhaps you should read up on human evolution a bit. Strange that about the time human ancestors starting eating meat their brains happen to increase more then at any other time in their evolution.

posted on Dec, 10 2004 @ 10:19 PM
link   
So given the extent of meat consumption today we should have huge heads and be so advanced by now we dont need to eat anymore! Pffft!

c'mon give us scientific facts. meat is scientifically, medically proven to be unhealthy. Btw some primates eat meat aswell, why are they not increasing brain size?

[edit on 10-12-2004 by instar]

posted on Dec, 10 2004 @ 10:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by instar
So given the extent of meat consumption today we should have huge heads and be so advanced by now we dont need to eat anymore! Pffft!

c'mon give us scientific facts. meat is scientifically, medically proven to be unhealthy. Btw some primates eat meat aswell, why are they not increasing brain size?

[edit on 10-12-2004 by instar]

Meat is the most nutritious food we have.pound for pound meat has more calories,fat,amino acids,calcium,zinc,iron and just about everything else than any other food.
How do we know that said primates brains arent growing?
Meat is medicaly proven to be bad???nice try...............
as to herbavores being smarter than ominvores,thats laughable.
if herbavores were smarter than they wouldnt get eaten.

posted on Dec, 10 2004 @ 10:35 PM
link   
Species Brain Weight
(approx.)
grams
sperm whale (male) 7,820
African elephant 7,500
fin whale 6,930
killer whale 5,620
bottlenose dolphin 1,600
human 1,500
cow 500

All but 2 of your examples are carnivores.cows and elephants,and yea,you can build a large brain on nothing but vegi's,but be prepared to sit at the dinner table a while.

nmml.afsc.noaa.gov...
www.britannica.com...
www.marinemammal.org...
www.seaworld.org...

Heres a good study on animal protein intake and infant brain development.

"Conclusion. Maternal intake of very-long-chain n-3 PUFAs during pregnancy and lactation may be favorable for later mental development of children."

pubpages.unh.edu...

[edit on 10-12-2004 by Samhain]

posted on Dec, 10 2004 @ 10:43 PM
link   

as to herbavores being smarter than ominvores,thats laughable.
if herbavores were smarter than they wouldnt get eaten.

Another poor argument and deliberate twisting of words samhain. I did not say herbivors were smarter than carnivors, i said "as smart as". If the herbivors didnt get eaten there wouldnt be any carnivors would there!
Think before you post. Yes its medically proven meat is unhealthy despite it being nutritious! Adding to that that meat animals are fed hormones, antibiotics, and even roadkill, it cant be healthy in modern times. if you want to find out about what meat animals are fed in your country then google it, you'll find plenty to disturb you.

posted on Dec, 10 2004 @ 10:51 PM
link   
What about organic meat? Who was it that said, " It's not what goes in the mouth that defiles a man but what comes out of it."? There goes that old hippie Jesus again! Three members of my family have been vegetarians for over thirty years. They are highly educated about amino acids etc. Two years ago they started to eat some meat because the had to to remain healthy. Some people can be strict vegetarians some cannot. I like organic.

posted on Dec, 10 2004 @ 11:03 PM
link   
I see truth in that. I just think its best to make gradual changes in diet rather than overnight. I have seen so many people very abruptly become vegan or ovo/lacto veg, and eat nothing but pasta or beans and rice and have to revert back to eating meat.

It is always better to eat free range/organic meat and dairy, if insistant upon eating meat. You at least aren't contributing to as much mistreatment of both workers and animals, nor are you ingesting all those hormones and steroids and drugs.

I do know from personal experience that when i cut out all meat in my diet (around age 12) I stuck with it because I felt better in every way. Much more calm and healthy and happy. Then after several years I gradually cut out all dairy/egg, along with honey, processed sweeteners, by products such as whey casein etc.. Due to the fact I was aprox 21 by the time I was a strict vegan I found the difference in how I felt to be amazing.
I stopped having bad food cravings, and my skin cleared up and I was just all around happier and healthier.

Plus animals love me. I guess they can smell that I am gentle and sense that I am peaceful toward them.

posted on Dec, 10 2004 @ 11:05 PM
link   

Another poor argument and deliberate twisting of words samhain. I did not say herbivors were smarter than carnivors, i said "as smart as". If the herbivors didnt get eaten there wouldnt be any carnivors would there!
Think before you post. Yes its medically proven meat is unhealthy despite it being nutritious! Adding to that that meat animals are fed hormones, antibiotics, and even roadkill, it cant be healthy in modern times. if you want to find out about what meat animals are fed in your country then google it, you'll find plenty to disturb you.

I did not twist your words.Herbavores are not "as smart as" carnivores.Carnivores inherently have problem solving intelligence.
If herbavores were as smart as their hunters,they wouldnt be eatin...get it?
the over consumption of anything is bad,meat included.and this is about meat,not hormones and roadkill(?).i doubt anyone will argue that pumping steroids into your food is a bad idea.thats another subject.
A balanced diet is the key to good health,not all of this and none of that.

posted on Dec, 10 2004 @ 11:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Samhain
Omnivores are smarter than herbavores.
Thats why one is the hunter and the other is food.
thats why we are the dominant species on the planet.

Wrong assumption. We are dominante because we have evolved technologically. Without weapons and the means of defence, carnys like bigcats, and apex preds like crocs would be dominent, we would be vulnerable. Btw not only humans are omnivorous either.

posted on Dec, 10 2004 @ 11:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Samhain
Omnivores are smarter than herbavores.
Thats why one is the hunter and the other is food.
thats why we are the dominant species on the planet.

Wrong assumption. We are dominante because we have evolved technologically. Without weapons and the means of defence, carnys like bigcats, and apex preds like crocs would be dominent, we would be vulnerable. Btw not only humans are omnivorous either.

Like it or not....we are the dominate species because of our brains,and our brain development is because of a shift in our diets and hunting.
Our killer instinct is why we "Dominate" and arent croc food.....
well.......most of us.........

posted on Dec, 10 2004 @ 11:14 PM
link   
Samhain-
I don't get it. If you are so opposed to everything animal-friendly, why are you on threads like this like its your passion?

If you have no interest, so be it. It looks really silly when you make outlandish accusations as to how bad it is to not eat meat or how animal rights people are soooo dumb. What has you so worked up?

I think it is because you are accustomed to your carnivorous leanings and feel defensive at the mention of being more considerate and conscious of where it comes from. I am getting that impression of "I wish I could be a vegetarian but I don't think I can so I am going to put it down and belittle it"...

Either that or you really have something against animals.

(If you ever change your mind, feel free to ask me for some pointers or recipes, meal plans etc
)

posted on Dec, 10 2004 @ 11:15 PM
link   

I did not twist your words.Herbavores are not "as smart as" carnivores.Carnivores inherently have problem solving intelligence.
If herbavores were as smart as their hunters,they wouldnt be eatin...get it?

You did indeed twist my words, anyone reading this thread can see that, even if you edit your post, you cant edit mine. I have already refuted your statement about carnivors being smarter. no eating herbivors, no carnivors...get it? Deny ignorance, dont display it! If you can be bothered you could find plenty of examples showing the intelligence of herbivors is just as great as that of carnivors. It must be so, think about it!

posted on Dec, 10 2004 @ 11:20 PM
link   
I'm not sure how or if cubic inch of brain equates to intelligence or dominance. I think we are the dominant species because we have opposable thumbs, bifocal vision, the ability to adapt to any environment and reason. Were these evolutionary developments caused by hunting and eating animals? It seems like sort of a chicken an the egg thing. Is it even possible to know?

posted on Dec, 10 2004 @ 11:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by duh squared
Samhain-
I don't get it. If you are so opposed to everything animal-friendly, why are you on threads like this like its your passion?

If you have no interest, so be it. It looks really silly when you make outlandish accusations as to how bad it is to not eat meat or how animal rights people are soooo dumb. What has you so worked up?

I think it is because you are accustomed to your carnivorous leanings and feel defensive at the mention of being more considerate and conscious of where it comes from. I am getting that impression of "I wish I could be a vegetarian but I don't think I can so I am going to put it down and belittle it"...

Either that or you really have something against animals.

(If you ever change your mind, feel free to ask me for some pointers or recipes, meal plans etc
)

I'm not anti-animal friendly.
I believe in the humane treatment of animals.including livestock animals.
I love my pets.
I just dont want some peta propaganda fed to me,it gets me going.

posted on Dec, 10 2004 @ 11:38 PM
link   

You did indeed twist my words, anyone reading this thread can see that, even if you edit your post, you cant edit mine. I have already refuted your statement about carnivors being smarter. no eating herbivors, no carnivors...get it? Deny ignorance, dont display it! If you can be bothered you could find plenty of examples showing the intelligence of herbivors is just as great as that of carnivors. It must be so, think about it!

I edited my post to add a link.....sorry
Just becasue YOU want deer smarter than wolves.......it isnt so.....
I am not ignorant...
I have provided links to back my arguements.please read my previous post in this thread.

posted on Dec, 10 2004 @ 11:51 PM
link   

Just becasue YOU want deer smarter than wolves.......it isnt so.....

you are still putting words in my mouth! I DID NOT SAY "herbivors are smarter than carnivors" ! I SAID "herbivors are as smart as carnivors" !
It stands to reason Samhain, if herbivors were so dumb, they would not avoid predators nor attemp to protect their young. They would simply die out very quickly as dinner for carnivors and then carnivors would have nothing to eat! then carnivors would starve and die! Common sense!

posted on Dec, 10 2004 @ 11:53 PM
link   

you are still putting words in my mouth! I DID NOT SAY "herbivors are smarter than carnivors" ! I SAID "herbivors are as smart as carnivors" !
It stands to reason Samhain, if herbivors were so dumb, they would not avoid predators nor attemp to protect their young. They would simply die out very quickly as dinner for carnivors and then carnivors would have nothing to eat! then carnivors would starve and die! Common sense!

I thought only carnivores were allowed to rage??

posted on Dec, 11 2004 @ 12:01 AM
link   

I thought only carnivores were allowed to rage??

You assume I'm a vegetarian? Dont make assumptions freind. They make an "a.s.s." out of "u" and "me" !

[edit on 11-12-2004 by instar]

posted on Dec, 11 2004 @ 12:08 AM
link   

I'm not anti-animal friendly.
I believe in the humane treatment of animals.including livestock animals.
I love my pets.
I just dont want some peta propaganda fed to me,it gets me going.

I don't want it fed to me either. Its like turning on the tv, don't let it brainwash you, but its okay to see whats there... or peacefully ignore it. But why you wanna shoot the TV?? You may feel foolish afterward.

Look at organizations like Farm Sanctuary- they are 100 percent peaceful, as well as many other animal advocates/groups are. They don't throw blood on you or send you poop in the mail.
They invite people to a nice farm to play with pet chickens, sheep, cows, pigs etc. All rescued animals that came in from slaughter houses, abuse/neglect, factory farms etc.

I think you are making sense to me now. You don't want confrontational people pointing fingers at you. Me either. You like animals and you know that if you really looked at the conditions of which meat comes from you'd be in for a bad time.

Its good to check in on the facts such groups expose, so you don't have to go investigate yourself. Its called being an informed consumer. (Sorry to tell ya, but you may be very angry about the livestock treatment if that's something you care about.)

No one is trying to "convert" you. But you do seem to care deep down. Theres a book called Diet for a New America, no PETA involved... Don't read it if you don't care to. However, you have the title if you ever care to do some research.

You do your thing Samhain, but its rather childish to become so antagonistic towards all things animal rights related. I don't think anyone is too concerned about your lifestyle here, so you can relax.

posted on Dec, 11 2004 @ 12:18 AM
link   

it is common sense,the cycle of life.
lot of rabbits,wolves eat like kings.
rabbit population dwindles.wolves thrive.
rabbit population gets too low to sustain wolves,wolves starve and die.
Lots of rabbits again.
rinse and repeat.
Which is why humans disrupt eco systems,we kill all other predators,we dont want competition,and prey animal numbers get too large,requiring we hunt.look at deer,if we didnt hunt them,there would be deer everywhere.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join