It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cruise Turns Nightmare After Hitting 'Unknown Object'...

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 3 2014 @ 06:52 PM
link   
a reply to: Patriotsrevenge
I hear that Putin was holidaying in Cuba, and decided to swim home....the long way...thru international waters... the cruise ship did not give way so he head-butted it back to port.
Naughty Putin!.... Again!!

posted on Nov, 3 2014 @ 08:58 PM
link   

Yes it was on Halloween night. I use Linux with script blocker and I didn't notice any popups.

After the Bahamas Celebration struck something off the coast of Freeport, Bahamas, on Halloween night, passengers describe a scene of chaos, confusion and panic.

posted on Nov, 3 2014 @ 09:10 PM
link   
OP. your first clue as being a "suspicious news article" is that you read it on the DRUDGE REPORT.

posted on Nov, 3 2014 @ 10:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: signalfire
After you pay for a cruise or two, couldn't you just buy yourself a sailboat and have at it without the complimentary gastrointestinal diseases?

Last cruise I took was 5 days, total price was $700 for 2 people. I almost bought a cruise for this month, 7 days, $600 for 2 people.

posted on Nov, 4 2014 @ 01:14 AM
link   
It was a Halloween cruise. They basically asked for it

posted on Nov, 4 2014 @ 11:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: Patriotsrevenge
a reply to: LABTECH767

Subs use ships like this all the time to hide under as they sneak around not to be heard by enemy subs or ships. Very dangerous but they do it a lot.

Because you saw it on Down Periscope, lol?

posted on Nov, 4 2014 @ 01:25 PM
link   
a reply to: jaffo

Right pal I was one of the lad's who ran down to the recruiting centre when I was barely a kid, the first gulf war was just about to get up and running and I was naïve enough to want to do my bit for family and nation, yes some of us Brits are still patriots right.

I applied for Artificer on the strength of my electronics qualifications but being borderline colour blind (You see a four I see a trident) and despite passing the idiots tests with absolutely no problem including the wiring test I was offered weapons engineer instead as well as asking if I would consider working as a submariner by the chief competus which I said I would but by the time my papers came through the war I was willing to serve in for my family and nation was well and truly over.

The Iraqi scourge that had been sold to us as a credible threat to world peace, having chemical weapons as well as possible nuclear weapons turned out to be a jumped up Bedouin who could not keep his tent from collapsing in the storm, he in the event had no allies so it never escalated anyway.

But as a six foot weight lifter I would not have looked right with all the short guys in Her Majesty's Submariner service and would likely have a permanent bump on the top of my head now from bumping the short hatch's. back in the 80's and 90's our subs were still considerable smaller than yours and more cramped so if your sub's smell bad you can imagine ours when that hatch opens in port.

My father was turned down for military service due to ill health which upset him greatly, my maternal grandfather was army intelligence who served as a intelligence instructor over the black and tans regiment in northern Ireland between the war's, had to change his name after some idiot politician blew his cover and take a senior job in the Canadian Mounted Police (from William Hallworth to John Fegan), he also served in the intelligence in WW2 but we know nothing of his actions.

My paternal Grandfather amongst other routes served on the North Atlantic convoys, prior to that service which he survived he was on board three seperate ships that were torpedoed and survived all of them but lost many of his friends.

When my Paternal grandfather Edward McArdle was demobbed his best friend who was demobbed (De Mobilized - made redundant from the military) with him committed suicide a week later by putting his head in the gas oven, many of there wives had been unfaithful, many had been killed in the bombings and some of the lad's who returned home came back to all there family dead.

So what was it you were suggesting.

posted on Nov, 4 2014 @ 02:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: LABTECH767

Right pal I was one of the lad's who ran down to the recruiting centre when I was barely a kid, the first gulf war was just about to get up and running and I was naïve enough to want to do my bit for family and nation, yes some of us Brits are still patriots right.

I applied for Artificer on the strength of my electronics qualifications but being borderline colour blind (You see a four I see a trident) and despite passing the idiots tests with absolutely no problem including the wiring test I was offered weapons engineer instead as well as asking if I would consider working as a submariner by the chief competus which I said I would but by the time my papers came through the war I was willing to serve in for my family and nation was well and truly over.

The Iraqi scourge that had been sold to us as a credible threat to world peace, having chemical weapons as well as possible nuclear weapons turned out to be a jumped up Bedouin who could not keep his tent from collapsing in the storm, he in the event had no allies so it never escalated anyway.

But as a six foot weight lifter I would not have looked right with all the short guys in Her Majesty's Submariner service and would likely have a permanent bump on the top of my head now from bumping the short hatch's. back in the 80's and 90's our subs were still considerable smaller than yours and more cramped so if your sub's smell bad you can imagine ours when that hatch opens in port.

My father was turned down for military service due to ill health which upset him greatly, my maternal grandfather was army intelligence who served as a intelligence instructor over the black and tans regiment in northern Ireland between the war's, had to change his name after some idiot politician blew his cover and take a senior job in the Canadian Mounted Police (from William Hallworth to John Fegan), he also served in the intelligence in WW2 but we know nothing of his actions.

My paternal Grandfather amongst other routes served on the North Atlantic convoys, prior to that service which he survived he was on board three seperate ships that were torpedoed and survived all of them but lost many of his friends.

When my Paternal grandfather Edward McArdle was demobbed his best friend who was demobbed (De Mobilized - made redundant from the military) with him committed suicide a week later by putting his head in the gas oven, many of there wives had been unfaithful, many had been killed in the bombings and some of the lad's who returned home came back to all there family dead.

So what was it you were suggesting.

How does ANY of that back up your claim as to how submarines operate with regard to hiding under ships?

posted on Nov, 4 2014 @ 02:18 PM
link   

(If the Russians are this brazen about their ships near the U.S. coast, I could certainly believe they have a sub in the Gulf of Mexico.)

freebeacon.com...
(April 2014) PENTAGON CONFIRMS THAT RUSSIAN SPY SHIP AND TUG-BOAT ARE OPERATING IN THE GULF OF MEXICO
"A Russian intelligence-gathering ship has been operating off the U.S. East Coast and near the Gulf of Mexico for the past month, the Pentagon said Thursday.

“We are aware that the Russian ships Viktor Leonov and Nikolay Chiker are currently operating in waters that are beyond U.S. territorial seas but near Cuba,” said Lt. Col. Tom Crosson, a Pentagon spokesman. “We respect the freedom of all nations, as reflected in international law, to operate military vessels beyond the territorial seas of other nations.”

"The Leonov is an intelligence gathering ship outfitted with high-tech electronic spying gear. The Chiker is an ocean-going naval tug that has been accompanying the spy ship on its mission."
edit on 4-11-2014 by MKMoniker because: correction

edit on 4-11-2014 by MKMoniker because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 4 2014 @ 02:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: CovertAgenda
I hear that Putin was holidaying in Cuba, and decided to swim home....the long way...thru international waters... the cruise ship did not give way so he head-butted it back to port.

I was thinking the same thing the cruise ship was in Putin's way and he had a choice wrestle it or head butt it. Well we see what his choice was. Putin vs cruise ship.......Putin wins hands down. This man is the Chuck Norris of the east.
edit on 4-11-2014 by SubTruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 4 2014 @ 04:30 PM
link   
My post that you are calling a claim to how submarines operate was a reply another comment by Patriotsrevenge in which I agreed with him, as a matter of common sense, you might like to remember that in peacetime no naval commander would be advised to perform such a risky manoeuvre no matter how skilled he was but in time of heightened tensions and an aging SOSUS detection net which may not have kept pace with the current technology.

(if budget cuts have not stopped the net from being upgraded anyway and assuming all the hydrophones are still working at peak efficiency and maintenance has been kept up)

Then any submariner on a testing/probing or even covert espionage, pick up, drop off mission might want to masque his approach to his target destination and his retreat from that location as much as possible, it could only be to probe and see if detection has occurred and test for what response is made to it's presence. if it really was a boat (boats go under the water ships sail on top) and we do not know what it was but someone may very well have a good idea.

Given Putin's restarting of even the cold war Antarctic and patrols which serve no purpose to the Russian federation but were part of the cold war soviet operations for placing NBS at strategic locations for a strike/counter strike it is more than likely that such probing occurs or has occurred,.

So why have you not heard, well the US and the west in general does not see making it's citizens paranoid as serving any purpose especially in a time of economic instability but it is possible but very unlikely that the R.F has not tried this probing with boats though they most certainly have with aircraft.

The Cruise ship is noisy in the water with engines and generators as well as many other sources of noise and this creates a large audio disturbance in the water which way back would have been enough to masque a submarine's own wake though today many modern acoustic analysis and sampling systems such as on the Astute class British submarines (China probably has the detailed spec's on these fly by wire overly complicated boats and they made a scapegoat of a commander ran aground during sea trials when apparently there was actually a fault with the navigations systems but someone had to take the fall, embarrassing for a 1.5 billion pound submarine hot off the production line and for the British government who had egg on there faces), this complex filtering much like similar US systems off which it may be based has a database of known sounds and can identify and filter them automatically as well as filter know noised out so the operator can listen to the isolated unknown sound's making the opaque noise pollution of the cruise ship completely transparent to the Audio detection systems on Submarines or SOSUS type systems that use this filtering, it is a very old principle and well known to the likes of submariners.

So if it was a submarine it was not undetected by using the cruise ship but because no one was looking for it, the other reason for using the Cruise ship is that it can masque the possibly smaller submarine from overhead satellite monitoring and you would be surprised how deep modern surveillance satellites can see into the water using non optical wavelengths including a form of radar mapping.

It was indeed a technique used during the cold war and often the soviets would send out freighters which there own sub's would then shadow using them as cover and this proves it is an old tried and tested technique but obviously not a safe one especially if the cruise ship enters coastal shallow waters or comes near to formerly unmapped seamounts that rise close enough to the surface to make the captain order his boat to a shallower depth (though Naval mapping being a closely guarded secret is far more precise than you will find on goodle earth or even the new barometric sea mount map).

But then I don't know but there are many on this site whom have served aboard submarines, not just recently but some with vivid cold war memory's if they should choose to share them to humour you and your question of cold war operations.

posted on Nov, 4 2014 @ 09:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: CovertAgenda

Haha that was good! I have Firefox with ad block and popup blocker so it was a bad one. And no i do not block ads on ATS lol. Just in case the mods are wondering.

posted on Nov, 4 2014 @ 10:39 PM
link   
a reply to: LABTECH767

Its just better not to talk about the job cause while extremely interesting, scary at more times than I would have liked, fun at others we were the eyes and ears of the boat so 95 percent of what we did is still classified. Since It really wasn't all that long ago talking about any details of the job or any experiences is too easy to mention something we are not supposed to talk about and will possibly get us a phone call from a commander or worse a visit from MPs. While knowing what you were doing was just down right dangerous as hell, I always knew that in a fight we would more than likely win 90 percent of the time and were very safe otherwise do to the safety record of the U.S. Sub fleet and how good we were do to the very rigorous training we all had and continued to have. A very professional group of men verses some other services.

I had to have security clearance before I was even officially given the job after basic. Having been told that the FBI was going to go talk to your former teachers and neighbors was quite an embarrassing thought for me cause I was not an angel in school by any means lol.

I can say that I visited many countries yet never seen any of the locals lol.

posted on Nov, 4 2014 @ 10:48 PM
link   
a reply to: MKMoniker

Yeah the Russians have been running the trench off Cuba and the Keys for a very long time. They got cute and were caught sleeping off Louisiana about a year ago. I suspect they had propulsion problems cause a Coast Guard Cutter paid them a nice visit after a local fisherman spotted them in our waters. I cant say for sure it was the Russians, only a Russian built sub. What happened after that was never reported and hushed up big time.

I probably could have found out the whole story if I pushed for it but this day and age its better not to bring any undue attention to oneself, especially with Obama in office.

posted on Nov, 5 2014 @ 09:15 AM
link   

Thanks for your reply!

Since you seem to have some insider knowledge, why was the Russian ship in April also accompanied by a tug-boat? Did they want to prevent another getting-stuck-in-coastal-waters episode like off Louisiana? And/or is the tug bristling with electronic-listening equipment too? Or was the tug's electronics being used to mask/cover the Russian ship's electronics, or counter any U.S. electronic-probes?

Thanks!

posted on Nov, 5 2014 @ 09:26 AM
link   

"Since It really wasn't all that long ago talking about any details of the job or any experiences is too easy to mention something we are not supposed to talk about and will possibly get us a phone call from a commander or worse a visit from MPs."

Very smart!

news.yahoo.com...
U.S. NAVY SEALS TOLD TO STOP SPILLING SECRETS
"The commander of US Navy SEALs has issued a stinging rebuke to troops who have broken the elite force's hallowed tradition of secrecy and humility by publishing memoirs and speaking to the media.

" "A critical tenet of our Ethos is 'I do not advertise the nature of my work, nor seek recognition for my actions,'" Losey and the top enlisted sailor, Force Master Chief Michael Magaraci, wrote in the letter, obtained by AFP on Monday.

"We do not abide willful or selfish disregard for our core values in return for public notoriety and financial gain, which only diminishes otherwise honorable service, courage and sacrifice," said the letter dated October 31."

I have great respect for the hard-working military men in the trenches like you. And since you might be Spec Ops, what do you think of this?

www.businessinsider.com...
CHINESE SPEC OPS TRAINING
"For the past two years, Chinese special forces units have taken first place at the annual Warrior Competition in Jordan against 18 countries, including the US and Russia."

Without giving any secrets away, do you think the Chinese Spec Ops are that good? Training regimes are one thing, but I wonder how well they can "think on their feet" in dangerous situations, since Chinese Communism seems to teach people to not think logically or question anything.

posted on Nov, 5 2014 @ 09:35 AM
link   
I just dont like cruises, so many things can and do go wrong all the time on cruises: theft, rape, overboard, collisions, rogue waves, murder. A cruise ship is a floating city pretty much with little to no type of secrurity or police. Then most cruise ship companies try to cover up anything that goes wrong in international waters, a number of people report being sexually assualted, but nothing ever happens legally, a number of people just go missing never to be heard of again, some may fall overboard while others may actually be murdered then tossed over. Most cruise lines dont help withthe investigations of people going missing. Not ttrying to bash the cruise liners, but there has just been way to many things go wrong with cruises the past few years.

posted on Nov, 5 2014 @ 10:27 AM
link   
Went on a cruise in Hawaii.... island to island. Loved it. I believe we stayed in domestic waters the whole time- which was nice as well, and different than most other cruises these days.

posted on Nov, 5 2014 @ 10:29 AM
link   
The cruise that the thread started with... not much has been mentioned after the first paragraph in the MSM.

Potential international conflict/crisis buried. Not to be seen again, it looks like....

posted on Nov, 5 2014 @ 10:38 AM
link   
a reply to: Glassbender777

The Cruise lines took a real beating in the past few years, from mysterious fires at sea. There were just too many to blame the usual culprits, and some ship companies even cancelled out of some ports along the Eastern U.S. seaboard:

shipdetective.com...
SHIP DETECTIVE: LIST OF PASSENGER SHIP FIRES

Some sources say the real reason was our frenemy ships' practicing their scalar weapons. And China especially has a history of doing this:

www.afcea.org.../10736
(March 2013) CHINA EMPLOYS SHIPS AS WEAPONS TEST PLATFORMS

It all started with a Cruise ship fire in the Pacific Ocean in 2010. As the ship was being towed back to the West Coast, there was sudden missile fired from the Pacific 35 miles off Los Angeles, arcing west:

www.truthistreason.net...
SO.CAL. CRUISE SHIP FIRE - THEN MYSTERY-MISSILE LAUNCHED WEST OFF LOS ANGELES IN PACIFIC
The story was that China had "tested" their scalar weapons on the cruise ship, and the resulting engine fire left it totally powerless. Subsequently, Coast Guard "high-endurance cutters" went out to tow the cruise ship home - under escort of CG gunboats and a destroyer. (So a provocative "act of war" was obviously suspected, and using the Coast Guard to escort the damaged cruise ship instead of the U.S. Navy, took the hostilities down a notch.)

Suddenly there's a missile fired west, from 35 miles off the Los Angeles/Long Beach coastline. Some say it was fired from a close-to-coastline Chinese sub who had caused the Cruise ship fire, as a show-of-force and "signature" of having caused the cruise ship fire. Others say the heavy-missile was fired by the Navy at the retreating Chinese sub, aimed only to hit the water close to it (not hit it) as our retaliation for testing their scalar weapons on, and causing a fire on a civilian ship.
edit on 5-11-2014 by MKMoniker because: clarification

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join