It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cruise Turns Nightmare After Hitting 'Unknown Object'...

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 3 2014 @ 03:07 PM
link   

MIAMI (CBSMiami/AP) — A Halloween cruise took a frightening turn as passengers were heading to Florida.

The ship hit an unknown object, officials said, forcing it back to port.

“All I know is that it just went black. The lights went completely out,” said passenger Sandra Douglas from Houston, Texas. “Then they came on for a second and then they went back out. And then the sirens started and they said this was the real thing. Then we had to go back to our floors to get the instructions and the life preservers and things like that.”

Cruise Turns Nightmare After Hitting 'Unknown Object'...

So I posted the Drudge headline where I found the article as the original news source headline was so misleading and irrelevant its ridiculous, I could see if they had already posted the story before but that is just plain ignorant. Its like saying I ran home without saying why lol.

Now back to what happened. They say it hit something at sea, I am guessing they beached the bow of the ship to keep the water from pouring in? Doesn't make much sense since they have water tight compartments. I don't know, seems fishy to me. I am starting to think this is a case of reporter ignorance or it did really hit something at sea and did not ram the dock like it looks lol. If anyone could find out what really happened it would be nice.

posted on Nov, 3 2014 @ 03:15 PM
link   
Ok say it did strike something at sea, whose submarine was it? Cant be ours cause we would hear all about that. I am guessing it was the Russians again as they have been spotted offshore in the Gulf of Mexico before. One time right off Louisiana, the coast guard was called out to intercept them. I am guessing they were hiding under the sub to try and mask their presence. It is a common tactic for all subs. I think we will hear about a Russian sub being spotted on the surface soon off our coast.

posted on Nov, 3 2014 @ 03:16 PM
link   
well i guess we could ask if any one is missing a submarine.......seems like this ship had a few safty violations as well (i dont know much about cruise ships personally) but baring hitting a sand bar or some kind of floating junk i would have to say they probably hit a submersible if i had to guess

posted on Nov, 3 2014 @ 03:17 PM
link   
a reply to: Patriotsrevenge

I think this is it.

www.sun-sentinel.com...

They almost hit a freighter," McKormick said. "I was told our captain left port without permission. The freighter was to my right about 8:15 in the evening. The ship took a hard turn to the left. I heard scraping on the boat as it hit the bottom. The ship tipped far to the right then the left, and then straightened out. A few minutes later, someone came on the PA and said they had ran aground and that there was a small hole. They said we were taking on water, but not to panic."

posted on Nov, 3 2014 @ 03:18 PM
link   

that was my first thought to (a sub not Russians) they were off Miami/Caribbean area and cartels have been using submersibles for years now perhaps they hit a " Kilo" class coke sub as if a major world power lost a submarine off the coast of usa i would assume we would have heard about it by now. any squiddies on ats know the area this occured in what other obstacles could they have encountered

posted on Nov, 3 2014 @ 03:19 PM
link   
According to what one person said in an article I read about this earlier, there weren't lifevests in rooms but in stations along the ship. People moving around in the dark, panicking is never fun. I have a feeling a lawsuit could be brewing. Someone's gf broke her toe in this incident, it could have been a lot worse. Much, much worse.

posted on Nov, 3 2014 @ 03:22 PM
link   
CNN reports the same story,

edition.cnn.com...

posted on Nov, 3 2014 @ 03:22 PM
link   
They advertised those cruises like crazy. You'd drive down the highway here and you'd see billboards of them here and there. I was actually tempted to look into them, maybe convince the fam to try a cruise out.
Great I didn't pull through.

posted on Nov, 3 2014 @ 04:08 PM
link   
After you pay for a cruise or two, couldn't you just buy yourself a sailboat and have at it without the complimentary gastrointestinal diseases?

posted on Nov, 3 2014 @ 04:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: interupt42

I think this is it.

www.sun-sentinel.com...

They almost hit a freighter," McKormick said. "I was told our captain left port without permission. The freighter was to my right about 8:15 in the evening. The ship took a hard turn to the left. I heard scraping on the boat as it hit the bottom. The ship tipped far to the right then the left, and then straightened out. A few minutes later, someone came on the PA and said they had ran aground and that there was a small hole. They said we were taking on water, but not to panic."

I don't know because that site keeps hitting me with a pop-up and every time I close it some other story comes up. Sounds right but there are a hundred cruise ships that leave Florida for cruises, especially to the Bahamas. Did they say it happened on Halloween night?

posted on Nov, 3 2014 @ 04:22 PM
link   
There are many thing's such as debris that can cause problems for shipping, one that is perhaps among the strangest concerns sunken ships that have achieved a level of neutral buoyance much like a submarine, this can be through closed hatches and trapped air pockets or capsized ships with trapped air or even low density cargo's, these semi sunken subsurface derelicts which can be sometimes just a few meters under the surface carried by ocean currents are a well known hazard and at one time maps of potential sub surface derelicts were kept by navy's such as the US coast guard, but it is expensive to send a ship on a long journey to sink a ship that is well off the shipping lanes so such are most usually left for nature to take care of.

All major ocean powers such as the US coast guard and navy and some legacy nations such as us the British still have a policy of sinking the hazards to maritime shipping if they are detected close enough or deemed to pose a hazard to shipping lanes, this is usually done by underwater demolitions experts who place explosives on the hulls or hatches to open the wrecks and send them to the bottom, you probably have not heard of this but then remember ships are pollutants when they sink and a good deed that ensures safety may very well spark protests and complaints from those who do not understand the technical difficulty's and hazards of such operations.

Another matter is flotsam and jetsam which can range from small pieces of buoyant material to very large and potentially dangerous items, it is rare these day's for a modern large ship to run aground though as we know from the Costa Concordia tragedy it does still happen sometimes as a result of human error but also sometimes it simply can not be helped.

Cruise ships are very noisy and lit up like a christas tree so I personally can not see this being a foreign or naval submarine impact as they would have detected it a very great distance away, though it may have been a normal floating derelict or even refugee boat (such may have headed to the cruise ship thinking they could get help but been small enough or unlit so as to be missed by the crew and there radar - if they were monitoring it) as they too do most certainly exist and such may now have gone down from the damage with the larger cruise ship, damage to the hull may be enlightening, but hopefully no one was killed on such a boat (though it is was the are likely all dead now unless the coast guard makes a sweep for survivors) and at least no one was hurt in the cruise ship.

posted on Nov, 3 2014 @ 04:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: signalfire
After you pay for a cruise or two, couldn't you just buy yourself a sailboat and have at it without the complimentary gastrointestinal diseases?

I have been on a cruise ship just like this but when I was younger and people took care of their customers well. I would never go on one today, not even if a woman begged me. They are disasters waiting to happen with employees from other nations who do not know how to handle emergencies or not giving two craps about you.

posted on Nov, 3 2014 @ 04:28 PM
link   
a reply to: LABTECH767

Subs use ships like this all the time to hide under as they sneak around not to be heard by enemy subs or ships. Very dangerous but they do it a lot.

posted on Nov, 3 2014 @ 04:41 PM
link   
Yes you are correct, the large vessel provides noise that hides there own screw's and also potential satellite detection is masked by there presence so I was wrong to overlook that, maybe could have been a run close to the US coast as a friendly sub would not need to hide that close, if they have the coordinates it may be interesting to know if the US has sent ships to investigate as it may be Russian out of Cuba or perhaps even Chinese, they can take a lot of damage before sinking but it may just be crippled on the bottom, wonder if the Russians have an observation vessel in the area with Putin (can you reach the top shelf) restarting the cold war manoeuvres and operation.

Well spotted on my error (I wouldn't mind I nearly went into the submarine service, but in the end did not still I should have known better).

edit on 3-11-2014 by LABTECH767 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 3 2014 @ 05:04 PM
link   
a reply to: LABTECH767

I am a former bubble head sonar tech. Got out at the right time. I just remember seeing the Key West Naval air stations radar blasting away the other day, don't know if it is related but it could have been given what Russia has been up to lately. Its not a good time to be in the service.

posted on Nov, 3 2014 @ 05:05 PM
link   
I can't figure why people would want to take a cruise ship trip in the first place. Packed like sardines in a tin can. People are so easily conditioned, I would rather camp at a local campground with the wife and some friends if I was on vacation. The whole week would cost less than three hundred bucks.

posted on Nov, 3 2014 @ 05:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: LABTECH767

I nearly went into the submarine service, but in the end did not still I should have known better).

LOL, Didn't anyone tell you in war there are Boats and then there are targets, nothing else. Subs are Boats!

It was my second choice at MEPS but quickly became my first pick after I was told that, and the full time war pay helped sway my decision as well. I thankfully had a submariner doing my interview.

posted on Nov, 3 2014 @ 05:14 PM
link   

Halloween 'horror cruise' becomes a REAL nightmare after ship starts tilting, forcing almost 1,000 costume-clad passengers to evacuate

Around 960 passengers evacuated from Bahamas Celebration horror cruise
They initially thought it was Halloween joke, but then vessel lost power
Cruise ship ran aground 200 yards from Florida port and started tilting
Passengers paid up to $400 for the two-day horror cruise and zombie ball

Hilarious. Can you imagine while the lights are blinking, people stumbling around in the dark... seeing other ghastly characters in the hallways.... Wow... They got their money's worth... rofl.

posted on Nov, 3 2014 @ 05:32 PM
link   

I am guessing it was the Russians again

Yes i am quite sure it must have being as it seems finger pointing at Russia is logical.

posted on Nov, 3 2014 @ 06:26 PM
link   
I am familiar with where The Celebration goes in Freeport. It is unlikely that she ran aground, the reports of that are probably wrong. There is not enough information from the news article to give us and idea where the collision happened.

Submerged objects are not uncommon in the open ocean, however it is apparent whatever was hit was likely massive and strong to cause the damage that was done.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join