It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists can make your inner monologue audible

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+18 more 
posted on Nov, 1 2014 @ 05:19 PM
link   
Read this article and immediately thought of this place. You want something to be paranoid about, this is it.

www.engadget.com...

Text Building the thought decoder began by developing an algorithm tailored to each individual subject. The participant was asked to read a passage, for instance John F. Kennedy's inaugural address, aloud to get a base reading. Then they were asked to read it to themselves. And finally, to just sit and do nothing. That allowed the team to isolate which neurons were firing when vocalizing the text. Then a visual representation of the sound waves is created and those sounds are matched with particular brain patterns. Then while the participants read silently to themselves the decoder is able to reconstruct the words based purely on what neurons are firing.

posted on Nov, 1 2014 @ 05:28 PM
link   
a reply to: Vdogg

That's wild. The first thing I thought of is this being used with schizophrenia patients to isolate the voices in their head or even listen to what they're saying. Creepy.

+9 more 
posted on Nov, 1 2014 @ 05:29 PM
link   

I can't possibly see anyone abusing this technology.
:sarcasm:

posted on Nov, 1 2014 @ 05:30 PM
link   
now big brother can really watch us .... I'm not ok with this for the bad that can come of it ...but in medical application it could be invaluable

posted on Nov, 1 2014 @ 05:31 PM
link   
I'm in trouble. I am constantly hashing things out in my head using this thought process. It isn't considered bad to talk to yourself in your head, but it is not socially acceptable to say it out loud. Now they want to find out what I am talking to myself about. Will they get screwed up. Most people don't have an interest in what I say about all the stuff I research and think about dealing with food chemistry and it's effect on our perception and health.

I can't even shut my mind up so why would they want to listen to it.
I guess the only safe thing to do is to eat the foods that make you so you can't think at all. That won't be hard, I just have to eat prepared food again and they won't get much other than thinking of fishing or hunting camp.

posted on Nov, 1 2014 @ 05:34 PM
link   
They won't .... .... . ...

posted on Nov, 1 2014 @ 05:35 PM
link   
This is so cool. Maybe amateur producers can finally take the beat inside their head and translate it to the physical realm without an extensive comprehension of music theory. I'm not condoning laziness, but it's overwhelming sometimes for someone with a natural ability to realize they have a lot of technicalities to learn first, especially DAW (digital audio workstations) interfaces.
edit on 01411k3 by Lynk3 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 1 2014 @ 05:39 PM
link   
Telepathy machine records brainwaves

it seems things are moving fast in this field, thought detection...... ah the future abuses i see in store for this subject , especially state usage.

Q

posted on Nov, 1 2014 @ 05:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: Lynk3
This is so cool. Maybe amateut producers can finally take the beat inside their head and translate it to the physical realm without an extensive comprehension of music theory. I

Ermm, no offence, but is that something new?

posted on Nov, 1 2014 @ 05:41 PM
link   
Let them get inside my head. I want to see them scream, then run.

posted on Nov, 1 2014 @ 05:44 PM
link   

Then while the participants read silently to themselves the decoder is able to reconstruct the words based purely on what neurons are firing.

So first they record you reading a passage out loud. Then reading it to your self, then they match neurons firing when you read it to yourself again.

Thats not decoding thought. Far from it. It records neurons firing, not thoughts. If you were to stop reading and think of a chicken sandwich the computer "matching" would tilt.

While the results were described as "significant" a reliable device that can translate thoughts in to words is a long way of

So is the ability to read those "neurons". Requires a head web of sensors and wires to a computer that has already recorded your reading a "passage". They will need to go a long way to read thoughts from the next building with "lasers".

I knew someone once that claimed he could hear peoples thoughts. He couldn't live in apartments or hold jobs because he said other peoples thoughts drove him crazy. He used to answer peoples questions before they asked. I tested him. He didn't like it but proved it to me.

posted on Nov, 1 2014 @ 05:46 PM
link   
I think this will freak them out more than it will us. Put it on at night and maybe we will find out we are a hive mind. Hack it a bit and we can have a shared dream or cloud based reality. Invasion of privacy, maybe it should be top down...

posted on Nov, 1 2014 @ 05:53 PM
link   
a reply to: smurfy

What do you mean? Obviously if you dont have music theory comprehension or the ability to listen to melodies by ear, you'll fail a thousand times over trying to create the melody inside your head. And my beats were always good, but were never great/worth money until I took the time to learn music theory. Don't diss producers until you work in the field. It's not as easy as constantly being paranoid about your government, believe it or not.

posted on Nov, 1 2014 @ 06:00 PM
link   
After seeing the things I've seen over the years (being placed in a troubled youth home, the service and a knack for being at the wrong place at the right time) and the sort of dreams/thoughts that I have as a result I almost feel sorry for those that do somehow read my thoughts.

But maybe then they may come to understand why some of us are the way we are.

posted on Nov, 1 2014 @ 06:03 PM
link   
My inner monologue is a constant....I feel sorry for anyone that has to sift through all my minds mumbo jumbo.

They will be very, very busy and likely very, very confused....as am I.

And, it's my very own inner monologue.

posted on Nov, 1 2014 @ 06:08 PM
link   
This story makes the planet of the apes ending scene come to mind.

Quite frankly, the implications of anyone being able to read minds is...horrifying.
edit on 1-11-2014 by TurtleSmacker because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 1 2014 @ 06:11 PM
link   
Interesting. I wonder how this applies to mental images. Probably in a very similar manner, really. If this is ever perfected into a projection-like system some day, I'll be the first in line to buy one. I'm the only non-artistic person in a very artistic family. Can't draw. Can't sketch. Cant paint. Can't sculpt. Can't do wood or stonework. Can't swing digital art. Can't sew. Can't knit/crotchet/tat/needlepoint. My parents, brothers, grandparents, cousins, aunts, uncles all have artistic talents in the realm of "Wow". Not me. < sigh > Everything I visualize is stuck in my head, I've never been able to get it out on to paper ever. I have imagery ideas and fragments of dreams that I'd do any thing to share, but after trying my whole life, it's apparent I'm just not not meant to have that kind of talent. A toddler finger-painting has better work than I do

edit on 11/1/2014 by Nyiah because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 1 2014 @ 06:17 PM
link   
they are also developing thought control/manipulation
like turn up heater, turn on lights, change channel etc

posted on Nov, 1 2014 @ 06:25 PM
link   
It'll never happen.
Its a laboritory experiment, useless in the real world.

posted on Nov, 1 2014 @ 06:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: Vdogg
Read this article and immediately thought of this place. You want something to be paranoid about, this is it.

www.engadget.com...

Text Building the thought decoder began by developing an algorithm tailored to each individual subject. The participant was asked to read a passage, for instance John F. Kennedy's inaugural address, aloud to get a base reading. Then they were asked to read it to themselves. And finally, to just sit and do nothing. That allowed the team to isolate which neurons were firing when vocalizing the text. Then a visual representation of the sound waves is created and those sounds are matched with particular brain patterns. Then while the participants read silently to themselves the decoder is able to reconstruct the words based purely on what neurons are firing.

This story seems to get reported annually.. and this one isn't even that big

In a bigger story, the scientists have been able to at least partially been able to reconstruct what your brain sees ... it's far from perfect, but that's been around a few years too ..

I think this stuff shows up in the news just so they can get more funding ... not new...

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join