It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Telepathy machine reconstructs speech from brainwaves

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 05:38 PM
link   

Telepathy machine reconstructs speech from brainwaves

www.newscie ntist.com

When you read this sentence to yourself, it's likely that you hear the words in your head. Now, in what amounts to technological telepathy, others are on the verge of being able to hear your inner dialogue too. By peering inside the brain, it is possible to reconstruct speech from the activity that takes place when we hear someone talking.

Sound is made up of different frequencies which are separated in the brain and processed in different areas. "Simply put, one spot [of neurons] might only care about a frequency range of 1000 hertz and doesn't care about anything else. Another spot mig
(visit the link for the full news article)

edit on 31/1/12 by Quantum_Squirrel because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 05:38 PM
link   
Holy Cow,

This is both fascinating and frightening to me.

mostly scary i think

The mass surveillance implications are staggering with enough computational power, no ones safe .. not even in his/her own head.

The ability to question suspects in crimes and probably find out exactly what they are thinking,

What you all think ? sent a shudder and a smile at the same time across my body

Good or bad?

www.newscie ntist.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 05:46 PM
link   
it'd push people towards meditation, and if done long enough it will gradually grow into normal consciousness. all the yogis talked about living life without thought. as not to be ruled by the mind and it's survival tricks

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 05:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Quantum_Squirrel

After I got through reading about this...I thought....if they really perfect this...it could be used for the good medically...like with people that are in coma's...(for instance)....they could find out what the people are thinking...if a coma patient hears us...etc...and also I was thinking some people that are on life support and appear to be brain dead...maybe some aren't...and this technology could help them too.

link   

I guess it was only a matter of time. I think it was a month or two ago that the image version of this was demoed and was posted on ATS. They can see roughly what you see via brainwaves. Now they can hear what you say? Eek!

But like I was saying I really do like Obama on a personal and professional level and think he and the rest of the US government are doing a really good job. Yup!

link   

I agree with your fear. and may I add another aspect these signals are being (interpreted) much much like a lie detector. and most people know how accurate lie detectors are, most of the time they are not even admissible in court. it is very scary when a man can interpret your brainwaves where is the proof the interpretation is correct?

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 05:51 PM
link   
The coolest thing to do with this is record any original music that goes through my head. Next up would be to leave it on all night while I'm dreaming.

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 05:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by The1Prettiest1One
The coolest thing to do with this is record any original music that goes through my head. Next up would be to leave it on all night while I'm dreaming.

Excellent idea. It would be amazing if I could create music with thought... I'd make the most epic music ever heard.

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 05:55 PM
link   
I convey what i'm thinking with the look on my face or I just say it. reading my mind won't get much different.

except maybe like, "ohh shes hot"

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 05:56 PM
link   
Just think how great this technology would be for people with motor neurone disease like Stephen Hawkins.

Other than that i wouldnt be to worried, im sure i dont spend a lot of time in a day actually thinking words that could be read by TPTB.

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 05:57 PM
link   
this is what our own brains do all the time, in order to translate language into words.

this is also what our "subtle" bodies are doing 24/7. information communication like this is proven by quantum mechanics and is a staple of any good ol' mystical tradition.

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 05:59 PM
link   
reply to post by biggmoneyme

some towards peacfull meditation, others towards mind coaching by teams of people claiming they can hide your thoughts!

reply to post by caladonea

2 great applications! i am sure the're many more! same as any techonology i supposed it depends who's hands its in .. omg humans .. eeeeeek

reply to post by -W1LL

Yes! how long before people are falsly convicted because the brain said something, or others that manipulate thoughts to give false readings

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 05:59 PM
link   
reply to post by The1Prettiest1One

Wow, you 'read my mind', sort of. I constantly have music running through my head day and night.

I was wondering how effective their readings of brainwaves could be, if they encountered old Beatles lyrics instead of real 'thought'?

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 06:04 PM
link   
reply to post by caladonea

I like your positive take on this.

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 06:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by biggmoneyme
it'd push people towards meditation, and if done long enough it will gradually grow into normal consciousness. all the yogis talked about living life without thought. as not to be ruled by the mind and it's survival tricks

Of from while as into as while of from in as while as of from into as while...

[thinking without thought, emotions run free, because no thought contains them]
edit on 31-1-2012 by Sachyriel because: blah blah editing it fun!

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 06:08 PM
link   
I also like the positives, i will play devils advocate if you will allow and throw in a negative.

If i can decipher how the brain fires and handles language...

Could i decode the language and send it back the other way..

Could i put speech in your head? and would you even know it was not you that thought it?

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 06:09 PM
link   
reply to post by imalitehaus

I've had the them song to "Shameless" constantly running in my nut for going on 3 days now, along with whatever though is presently going on and other random thoughs & ideas that pop in there every 5 seconds or so on top of that....
so goes the life of a middle age man with ADHD.

I would'nt know how else to live!

I guess I should have a point to this that relates to the OP, I wonder how this combo would come across using the machine in the video?
edit on 31-1-2012 by grubblesnert because: clarity?

edit on 31-1-2012 by grubblesnert because: nothing much

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 06:17 PM
link   

Well, of course I would know, your idea would have had to have been something I would naturally approve of for it not to be suspicious; sustained involvement in my mind is something that is suspicious to me, my mind is naturally iconoclastic and contradictory, you could not build up mush to be a statue without heat; heat is something I wash away, stress is easy to beat and mind control is not.

It has always been this way, it always will be, and messing with my mind isn't a waste of my time but theirs.

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 06:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sachyriel

Originally posted by biggmoneyme

Of from while as into as while of from in as while as of from into as while...

[thinking without thought, emotions run free, because no thought contains them]
edit on 31-1-2012 by Sachyriel because: blah blah editing it fun!

emotion is nothing more than a juicy thought. to break attachment to mind means to step out of thought and emotion.

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 06:21 PM
link   
The implications of this in a police state induced surveillance society are staggering.

However, in a significantly more enlightened society, given time to perfect the technology along with some equivalent perfection of a technological post-cognitive ability and advanced biological rebuilding, you could bring people back. Basically, you could see this as a start in developing resurrection technology that would bring back long dead people.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join