It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists can make your inner monologue audible

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 2 2014 @ 09:01 AM
link   
a reply to: bdizzi90

That sounds like psychosis. Were you getting enough sleep?

As for the tech, I have no doubt it is out there. I just want to know how they can intercept neuron synapses remotely....

We need tin foil hats!!!

posted on Nov, 2 2014 @ 10:34 AM
link   
thought police!
lye detectore!

posted on Nov, 2 2014 @ 10:39 AM
link   
Go Science! This could be useful as well as intrusive and scary. I know for myself, I usually have at least 2 songs going on in my head at any given time.

I think that not only would we see a lot of mean and negative thoughts coming from people as others have pointed out, but we would be surprised to find out just how insecure we are with social anxiety and poor self esteem.

I think a lot of those thoughts would be quite sad as we discover just how lonely we are as individuals, always wondering if we're liked or are doing the right thing.

It's also funny to think about all the sexual thoughts that would be evident. Some people spend a lot of time with thoughts like "Oh, I wanna bang her/him" or well I'm just not going to delve into that any further, but imagining the constant thoughts of that being made apparent in social situations cracks me up.
edit on 2-11-2014 by gottaknow because: additional information

edit on 2-11-2014 by gottaknow because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 2 2014 @ 10:47 AM
link   
a reply to: JiggyPotamus

This stuff is totally possible. People think about it in terms of needing to know the firing of deep neurons, but you don't. Its really about big computational models acting on mountains of input data. For instance, a cell phone with a brain wave reader, could correlate endless hours of conversation with recorded brain data, to find patterns where repeated brain waves match repeated things said. Also, an eye tracker on your phones front camera,
www.cnet.com...
could watch you read web pages and correlate each word you read with brain states. With enough data, they can get statistically significant correlations, to the extent where they can know thoughts with brain waves alone with a certain degree of statistical confidence. Its not about perfection, just data mining.

I think people in the distant future are going to look back at this period of time as the era of human rights abuses based on technologies that the government and society wasn't able to understand at the time.

posted on Nov, 2 2014 @ 11:32 AM
link   
If a man is considered guilty for what goes on in his mind
Then give me the eclectic chair for all my future crimes
E-lec-tric-chair, uhhh!

posted on Nov, 2 2014 @ 11:36 AM
link   
No I argue too much and they are MINE to resolve.
THEN the art guy shows up then the what will you do about stuff rolls in...who really needs to hear ALL that?

Dreaming would be ODD too.

posted on Nov, 2 2014 @ 01:49 PM
link   
SOON!! The Dream Police will become a reality ! as it look from This...

Another noch of loosing Freedom of Privacy ?

No more Lie Detectors !

know something Top Secret! the government wants !

We want the INFORMATION!

Not going to Speak ! Fine we will just inject some truth serum and put you on this Machine !

we will find out ! We Know your thoughts!

We are the Dream Police!

CHEAP TRICK LYRICS
"Dream Police"
www.azlyrics.com...

The dream police, they live inside of my head
The dream police, they come to me in my bed
The dream police, they're coming to arrest me, oh, no

You know that talk is cheap And those rumors ain't nice
And when I fall asleep I don't think I'll survive the night, the night
'Cause they're waiting for me They're looking for me
Every single night They're driving me insane Those men inside my brain

edit on 2-11-2014 by Wolfenz because: (no reason given)

edit on 2-11-2014 by Wolfenz because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 2 2014 @ 02:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: FinalCountdown
If a man is considered guilty for what goes on in his mind
Then give me the eclectic chair for all my future crimes
E-lec-tric-chair, uhhh!

a Drugged Paranoid Scifi Writer by the name of Phillip K Dick Explained that...

one of his short stories turned movie Minority Report instead of a Thought Machine

just High ESP Beings linked to a Machine
Minority Report ..

Well, back in 2011 ...

Watch out for the Thought Police: Homeland Security test 'Minority Report' system which knows when you're even THINKING about committing a crime

Read more: www.dailymail.co.uk...
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Back in 2007

The brain scan that can read people's intentions
Call for ethical debate over possible use of new technology in interrogation
www.theguardian.com...

posted on Nov, 2 2014 @ 02:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: Vdogg
You want something to be paranoid about, this is it.

Nothing to be paranoid about. You just start quoting Andrew 'Dice' Clay in your head. Or something that will scare the crap about them. It helps if you like writing fiction.

posted on Nov, 2 2014 @ 04:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: SearchLightsInc
I have no doubt that men will use this to finally help them understand women

lmao! Not.

posted on Nov, 2 2014 @ 04:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: smurfy

originally posted by: Lynk3
This is so cool. Maybe amateut producers can finally take the beat inside their head and translate it to the physical realm without an extensive comprehension of music theory. I

Ermm, no offence, but is that something new?

No, technology to convert music you hear in your head into external sound has been commonplace for decades.
[/sarcasm]

posted on Nov, 2 2014 @ 05:57 PM
link   
a reply to: FlySolo

That sir, is the beginning of a horror movie script if I've ever heard one.

Imagine using this technology during election time. We could get sub-text mind reading of our candidates lying to us.

It could speed up the judicial process much like the lie detector test.

creepy stuff.

posted on Nov, 2 2014 @ 06:09 PM
link   
I'm not saying I'm totally against it for me personally. If they want to monitor my thoughts, they wont compare to the sick depravity tptb engage in. I have no shame.

As for algorithms, they already have "Minority Report." Phillip K Dick is some kind of genius.

I'm willing to compromise. In exchange I would like to be able to tune into music or pod casts at will. Selectively. Make it happen freaks.

posted on Nov, 2 2014 @ 06:15 PM
link   
I've read that as recently as 3,000 years ago people did not recognize their own internal monologue as themselves -- but rather the voice of "God". In these times, no one read aloud. People would sort of just wander around and when in times of crisis hear "RUN!" or something in their heads. They would then praise God for saving them, not realizing the entire time it was their own internal voice.

posted on Nov, 2 2014 @ 10:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: MystikMushroom
I've read that as recently as 3,000 years ago people did not recognize their own internal monologue as themselves -- but rather the voice of "God". In these times, no one read aloud. People would sort of just wander around and when in times of crisis hear "RUN!" or something in their heads. They would then praise God for saving them, not realizing the entire time it was their own internal voice.
They might have been more right than we think they were.

edit on 361130Sun, 02 Nov 2014 22:36:55 -0600201455pAmerica/Chicago2014-11-02T22:36:55-06:0030 by introspectionist because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 2 2014 @ 11:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: Vdogg
Read this article and immediately thought of this place. You want something to be paranoid about, this is it.

www.engadget.com...

Text Building the thought decoder began by developing an algorithm tailored to each individual subject. The participant was asked to read a passage, for instance John F. Kennedy's inaugural address, aloud to get a base reading. Then they were asked to read it to themselves. And finally, to just sit and do nothing. That allowed the team to isolate which neurons were firing when vocalizing the text. Then a visual representation of the sound waves is created and those sounds are matched with particular brain patterns. Then while the participants read silently to themselves the decoder is able to reconstruct the words based purely on what neurons are firing.

Give it 2 years and an iphone app will be out. That's scary.

posted on Nov, 3 2014 @ 07:04 AM
link   
I'm drunk but I recently had an attack, either I went crazy for a short perioperiod of time, or I was being experimented on with this tech which is more advanced than you believe. I heard voices it was intelligent, it could have been my own mind that a how smart it was but there were too many anomalies to explain this quickly. All I can say is that if they are touching the tip of the iceberg now, someone has already done it.

posted on Nov, 3 2014 @ 07:56 AM
link   
Brings to mind the "mind-fi" episode of Portlandia....... Anyone?

posted on Nov, 3 2014 @ 09:28 AM
link   
While this is a big development with oodles of potential just waiting to be abused, they can't actually read an individuals thoughts unless the individual complies with the tailoring of the algorithm

posted on Nov, 3 2014 @ 11:42 AM
link   
a reply to: TheHighestNumber
"Sir you have been accused of crime x. We have a warrant here which compels you to comply with this brainscan baseline or you will be held in contempt."
At least, that's how I imagine it'll go. Just like with cell phones.

edit on 3-11-2014 by Vdogg because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join