It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Breaking: Soldier shot at war memorial in Ottawa

page: 29
<< 26  27  28    30  31  32 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 22 2014 @ 06:06 PM
link   
So home grown 'terrorist'.

Every western country has that problem.

And it is fueled by the 'internets'.

posted on Oct, 22 2014 @ 06:06 PM
link   
a reply to: haven123

What religion doesn't have it's own cults?
While providing an anchor for society and rules of conduct there's always one group that takes the ball and runs off the field with it.

I'm not willing to throw the baby out with the ba'athwater.

posted on Oct, 22 2014 @ 06:07 PM
link   
a reply to: aboutface

i just saw that too! Maybe they were 2 finally. They are watching camera monitor in the area.

posted on Oct, 22 2014 @ 06:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: neo96

So convenient isn't it?
For anyone wanting complete control over the internet anyway.
Enjoy your posting freedom while it lasts.
I have an idea it won't last much longer.

posted on Oct, 22 2014 @ 06:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: James1970
England, Australia and now Canada have become victims for supporting America's so called "War on Terror".
Time to pull the Plug?

So you think sticking your head in the sand and pretending this isn't happening is some way to "stay safe"?

What happens when these nutters reach Turkey? They're already attempting to claim the border town. This would have already happened were it not for international airstrikes.

Some things you cannot just ignore. There was no war on terror before 9/11, so you think doing nothing kept people safe? Without breaking into the inevitable argument of who did what first, and the needless voyage through history that always comes from people who can't accept that individuals are responsible for their own actions, we have to defend ourselves and our allies, and this is what we are doing by bombing these religious nutters into last week.

Taking no action will not change anything. These are mentally deranged people who want to inflict their twisted religious ideology on ALL. If we all stopped any and all action in these countries, removed all association to them, halted absolutely everything, you would STILL FACE A THREAT from utterly insane radicals who will not stop until they have created their imagined "utopia" of religious dictatorship.

posted on Oct, 22 2014 @ 06:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: Asktheanimals
a reply to: haven123

What religion doesn't have it's own cults?
While providing an anchor for society and rules of conduct there's always one group that takes the ball and runs off the field with it.

I'm not willing to throw the baby out with the ba'athwater.

true even jedi have master jedi touche

posted on Oct, 22 2014 @ 06:10 PM
link   
Stephen Harper will talk at 19h45 eastern

posted on Oct, 22 2014 @ 06:10 PM
link   
a reply to: aboutface
Im not one to jump on the mind control wagon really but yeah, in 3 days, 2 white guys who had life troubles turn muslim and both get shot without intention to incapacitate without death. How hard would it be to fake facebook and twitter accounts, now that we know federal agents can impersonate criminals

a reply to: canucks555
On the contrary, Harper's CSIS allowed known terrorists back into our country

posted on Oct, 22 2014 @ 06:12 PM
link   

So convenient isn't it?

Oh please. People have been screaming about this on ATS for at least five years now. Go back to 2005 and Alex Jones will be screaming about the internet kill switch, MARTIAL LAW!!!!11111 and "death camps" run by FEMA.

posted on Oct, 22 2014 @ 06:13 PM
link   

So convenient isn't it?

After being on this site for a few years.

Rather easy to see 'self radicalization' in progress.

We are already there about things being said on the 'facebooks' leading to troubles for people.

Even in jest.

posted on Oct, 22 2014 @ 06:15 PM
link   
Canada is more conservative and thus prudent nation. I hope Ottawa makes some laws which are effective and are appreciated and accepted by the US also.

I doubt US lawmakers will be able to make anything that is practical and effective. Only harassing common citizens on airports and border crossings is their main tool.

I have heard many "clownish" stories that it baffles the mind. Ex: Many business executives globe trotting all over are held in tough chambers because they had visited some middle eastern country also and that too few years ago. Some lost their cool and got defensive and ended up in jail and detentions.

US needs to become more practical and productive when dealing with issues i.e. focus on majors not minors.

posted on Oct, 22 2014 @ 06:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: aboutface
CBC announcing that the downtown core and parliamentary lockdown has just been re-instated.

Is something really happening? Was it not a lone gunman? (or is the event being prolonged for effect?)

All lights are on in the parliament building.

I think this would suggest that they at least have credible intelligence that there is an ongoing threat.
I can't imagine that a search of the buildings would have taken this long, and that would be the only other explanation for remaining in lock down.

As I mentioned earlier I believe all sensible governments have been planning and preparing for a "Mumbai style" attack, with multiple actors on foot or in vehicles, heavily armed and constantly moving from target to target. If governments have been as concerned about that as they should have been, then they will be concerned about night falling, which would make finding these people more difficult, and controlling an unfolding event harder.

Anyone who remembers the Mumbai attack would probably agree that this abundance of caution is the right option to take until they can confirm that they have all of those involved.

posted on Oct, 22 2014 @ 06:22 PM
link   

After being on this site for a few years.

Rather easy to see 'self radicalization' in progress.

Just take a look back through this thread, with so-called "liberals" demanding all Muslims be treated like criminals, that they're all responsible for murder, even that people should be rounded up and killed!

Radicalization isn't reserved for militant Islam, it's happening right here and pushing people to a far-right nationalism that is both incredibly ignorant and quite scary to see in co-called "free and democratic" nations like ours.

I honestly hope some of the right-wingers expressing dangerous things on here are now on watch lists, they deserve to be, I consider them more of a threat to my rights and freedoms than a peaceful Muslim citizen.

posted on Oct, 22 2014 @ 06:29 PM
link   

You just sent chills down my spine.

If you spend years researching on the internet about problems with things like the government and economy, talking with others about this, coming up with ideas on how to change things that could steer us towards a healthier and happier society, then come up with some way to implement it...all the correspondence and research is collected and analyzed then put into a security apparatus, that is accessible to those that made it possible and will not stand for anything to change outside of their control...

That is total control that has not been seen since the Nazi's, whom clearly did it right this time.

posted on Oct, 22 2014 @ 06:31 PM
link   
By "scrutinized" do you mean burned to the ground? a reply to: Vasa Croe

posted on Oct, 22 2014 @ 06:32 PM
link   
John Baird just told John Kerry "this is why we're with you" and so, connection to justification for mideast war: complete.

posted on Oct, 22 2014 @ 06:33 PM
link   
The likelihood of their being a second suspect is quite high,the area will be on high alert for at least the next 24hrs
Think its not a leap to consider this an assassination attempt
and imo too coincidental to be unrelated to yesterdays event
if i was a betting man i would expect another tomorrow.
edit on 22-10-2014 by all2human because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 22 2014 @ 06:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: MALBOSIA

You just sent chills down my spine.
If you spend years researching on the internet about problems with things like the government and economy, talking with others about this, coming up with ideas on how to change things that could steer us towards a healthier and happier society, then come up with some way to implement it...all the correspondence and research is collected and analyzed then put into a security apparatus, that is accessible to those that made it possible and will not stand for anything to change outside of their control...
That is total control that has not been seen since the Nazi's, whom clearly did it right this time.

And forum as this, is a great tool itself

edit on 22-10-2014 by flowofmysoul because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 22 2014 @ 06:34 PM
link   
a reply to: Rocker2013

Just take a look back through this thread,

That was a reference to pretty much every hot topic on ATS.

That covers everything from 'gun violence' to 'the police' to them 'evil zionists'.

As to 'free and democratic' there is no such thing.

As democracy is mob rule.

As to 'right wingers' the Ottawa shooter was a 'right winger' clinging to his guns and religion.

It would be nice if the term was used correctly.

I agree with this guy

Liberty and democracy are eternal enemies, and every one knows it who has ever given any sober reflection to the matter. A democratic state may profess to venerate the name, and even pass laws making it officially sacred, but it simply cannot tolerate the thing. In order to keep any coherence in the governmental process, to prevent the wildest anarchy in thought and act, the government must put limits upon the free play of opinion. In part, it can reach that end by mere propaganda, by the bald force of its authority — that is, by making certain doctrines officially infamous. But in part it must resort to force, i.e., to law. One of the main purposes of laws in a democratic society is to put burdens upon intelligence and reduce it to impotence. Ostensibly, their aim is to penalize anti-social acts; actually their aim is to penalize heretical opinions. At least ninety-five Americans out of every 100 believe that this process is honest and even laudable; it is practically impossible to convince them that there is anything evil in it. In other words, they cannot grasp the concept of liberty. Always they condition it with the doctrine that the state, i.e., the majority, has a sort of right of eminent domain in acts, and even in ideas — that it is perfectly free, whenever it is so disposed, to forbid a man to say what he honestly believes. Whenever his notions show signs of becoming "dangerous," ie, of being heard and attended to, it exercises that prerogative. And the overwhelming majority of citizens believe in supporting it in the outrage. Including especially the Liberals, who pretend — and often quite honestly believe — that they are hot for liberty. They never really are. Deep down in their hearts they know, as good democrats, that liberty would be fatal to democracy — that a government based upon shifting and irrational opinion must keep it within bounds or run a constant risk of disaster. They themselves, as a practical matter, advocate only certain narrow kinds of liberty — liberty, that is, for the persons they happen to favor. The rights of other persons do not seem to interest them. If a law were passed tomorrow taking away the property of a large group of presumably well-to-do persons — say, bondholders of the railroads — without compensation and without even colorable reason, they would not oppose it; they would be in favor of it. The liberty to have and hold property is not one they recognize. They believe only in the liberty to envy, hate and loot the man who has it. "Liberty and Democracy" in the Baltimore Evening Sun (13 April 1925), also in A Second Mencken Chrestomathy : New Selections from the Writings of America's Legendary Editor, Critic, and Wit (1994) edited by Terry Teachout, p. 35

en.wikiquote.org...

That was said near 100 years ago.

posted on Oct, 22 2014 @ 06:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: victor7
Canada is more conservative and thus prudent nation. I hope Ottawa makes some laws which are effective and are appreciated and accepted by the US also.

I doubt US lawmakers will be able to make anything that is practical and effective. Only harassing common citizens on airports and border crossings is their main tool.

I have heard many "clownish" stories that it baffles the mind. Ex: Many business executives globe trotting all over are held in tough chambers because they had visited some middle eastern country also and that too few years ago. Some lost their cool and got defensive and ended up in jail and detentions.

US needs to become more practical and productive when dealing with issues i.e. focus on majors not minors.

The government is conservative, not the people. You are right, the Conservative government WILL pass laws that would take teeth out of American politicians, but I just want to clarify for readers in case your post was misinterpreted by other members and visitors.

!!!CANADA IS NOT CONSERVATIVE!!!

...Thank you for your time
edit on 22-10-2014 by MALBOSIA because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 26  27  28    30  31  32 >>

join