It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

DARPA's New Brain Implant Could Treat Disease and Control Machines

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 21 2014 @ 11:07 AM
link   

DARPA is always keenly interested in the intersection of man and machine. It's worked on highly advanced prosthetic limbs recently approved by the FDA, mapping the brain wirelessly and even building computer chips to mimic human brain function. The tiny, transparent sensors developed by DARPA-funded researchers at the University of Wisconsin at Madison could play an important role in understanding how the brain works and how to not only treat neurological disorders but how to connect the brain to machines.

Understanding the brain better in order to overcome problems and improve medical treatments for diseases like Parkinson's. It could also benefit technology to let people "mind control" machines. That may be prosthetic limbs, computers,

DARPA's New Brain Implant Could Treat Disease and Control Machines

Can you all say Cyborg?

normally I post DARPA stuff in the Military section of the forums... however this was such a huge deal it belongs right here in news to give everyone a preview of the not to distant future

DARPA Mil

RE-NET is part of a broader portfolio of programs within DARPA that support President Obama’s brain initiative. These programs include ongoing efforts designed to advance fundamental understanding of the brain’s dynamics to drive applications (Revolutionizing Prosthetics, Restorative Encoding Memory Integration Neural Device, Reorganization and Plasticity to Accelerate Injury Recovery, Enabling Stress Resistance), manufacture sensing systems for neuroscience applications and therapies (Hand Proprioception & Touch Interfaces, Electrical Prescriptions) and analyze large data sets (Detection and Computational Analysis of Psychological Signals).

I don't know about the rest of ya all, but this is some really spooky shizbits ... to have a chip implanted into your brain that would let you control a computer or drone or any number of weapons systems, with a single thought...

I imagine it would also be the first step in uploading all that you are into some vast cloud... the virtual and actual ghost in the machine as it were... or worse... give the PTB total control over another persons body...

Owell never saw this one coming

posted on Oct, 21 2014 @ 11:27 AM
link   
a reply to: HardCorps

RE-NET is part of a broader portfolio of programs within DARPA that support President Obama’s brain initiative
When I read "Obama's brain initiative" I just about puked.

Here it is
Obamas Brain Initiative

Only $40 million for ten years dedicated to debilitating diseases compared to the $60 M annually for behavrior studies

"understanding how brain activity leads to perception, decision making and ultimately action"

edit on 21-10-2014 by Observationalist because: Better link to website instead of image

edit on 21-10-2014 by Observationalist because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 21 2014 @ 11:37 AM
link   
They control our lives, they control our actions, they control our minds. Now they want control of our brains.

"Braaains"

posted on Oct, 21 2014 @ 11:54 AM
link   
a reply to: Observationalist

Like I said...this is some really spooky shizbits...

I mean look at your own post... they dol-out 300 million in research and it's only after the fact they go
"Hey, maybe we should look at the bioethics of doing this kind of research... but first, let's all go out for doughnuts!"

posted on Oct, 21 2014 @ 12:09 PM
link   
I'm not merging with a machine. It'll lead to the Mark of the Beast. As humans we have limits, so do machines. I wouldn't want them dictating my health through a chip. If they can treat diseases with this, what's stopping them from giving diseases?

posted on Oct, 21 2014 @ 01:00 PM
link   

Agree this is scary stuff.

A few observations and opinion to add:
The public will not get the full benefits from this technology as advertised. A majority of government technology is doled out in doses to the public sector. This tech will stay within the private sector for a while. The effort and research will first go to our military, to make a better bigger smarter military slaves, ones that can be repurposed and programmed to fulfill the wet dreams of corrupt military leaders.

Speaking of wet dreams this is Joseph Mengele's dream of human experimentation actualized. The old MK ultra techniques can be put aside for quicker, target specific and overall more effective mind control programing.

I would expect that some legislation would be passed to thwart the complete abuse of power this tech implies, I hope.

posted on Oct, 21 2014 @ 04:39 PM
link   

The implications of this technology are impressive to say the least. One has to wonder however if indeed these chips can be used to control other machines and devices, could they also be used to control or influence the user?
edit on 21-10-2014 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 21 2014 @ 05:00 PM
link   

This will be the technology which makes powered suits of armour a possibility.

Spooky does not even come close!

posted on Oct, 21 2014 @ 05:33 PM
link   

No, Orwell may not have, but certainly several other sci fi people did: Dick, Herbert, amongst them.
I suggest for reading, if interested: I Have NO Mouth But I Must Scream, by Harlan Ellison, and For A Breath I Tarry, by Roger Zelazny. I think all are available online.

I love how they always couch these horrifying developments in the best possible terms. That's great and all, but me, my memory in the cloud? No. And of course, reading between the lines, if they've already developed the chip, they've tried it and are using it….already. We're only just hearing about it openly. It's been around, likely, for quite some time.
tetra50

posted on Oct, 21 2014 @ 05:45 PM
link   
Once you have a mechanoid endoskeleton with more strength than a human, longer endurance/online time, better optics (infra-red/UV/visible light and visual resolution), faster running speed, will the military even need foot-soldiers? The weapons will be able to plug in directly to the suit for power and communication.
Maybe even just cargo helicopters with roller-coaster ride seats.

Then you can just command a platoon from thousands of miles away.

posted on Oct, 21 2014 @ 06:10 PM
link   
They can shove it, as far as I'm concerned.I will take my chances with diseases+ working machines with my hands,thank you very much.I have no desire to meld with the machine,and death does'nt scare me in the least,so to me this not something I'd consider if they paid me a million dollars a day. reply to: HardCorps

edit on 21-10-2014 by Raxoxane because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 21 2014 @ 06:13 PM
link   
I have had several powerful dreams and visions not to recieve any modifications or upgrades,if its not within the parameters of what we call human Im not interested.

posted on Oct, 21 2014 @ 06:13 PM
link   
I have pictures in my mind now of Judgement Day/Terminator/Rise of the Machines//Skynet:-)a reply to: TrueBrit

posted on Oct, 21 2014 @ 06:16 PM
link   
a reply to: Observationalist

I saw all those fancy graphics, this "Brain Initiative," and found it absolutely horrifying. But not all that surprising. What's been going on a very long time has become public now:
Link

The secret research and deployment of these devices and techniques affects multitudes of people in this country and the world, most of whom are unaware of their existence. FFCHS seeks to raise public awareness on the impact of these technologies, as well as a congressional hearing and investigation to expose and stop the perpetrators of these crimes.

In January, 2011, Derrick Robinson was featured in a program by Canadian TV show host, Richard Syrett for his The Conspiracy Show, was consulted extensively in Jesse Ventura’s 2012 season of Conspiracy Theory for an episode entitled, “Brain Invaders,” interviewed by the Washington Post in 2006, the New York Times in 2008, and appeared on KMIR-TV in Palm Springs, California in November, 2012, for their news story about electronic harassment.

In 2013 and 2014 he was featured in the Super Soldiers/Mind Control Summit in Las Vegas, Nevada and has spoken on numerous radio talkshow programs around the web, such as George Noory’s Coast to Coast AM, Kerry Cassidy’s Project Camelot: The Legacy of A Nation, and Pinkney to Pinkney.

Sources Robinson has worked with assert that as much as ten-to-twelve percent of the US population may be subject to some form of electronic harassment or surveillance. “There are probably at least millions of people who are victimized because we get calls every single day from all across the country,” Robinson points out, “from every major city, every major locality–a steady stream of people.”

There is a long history of such mind control research and techniques in the United States, dating at least to the CIA’s MKULTRA program begun in the early 1950s. “Basically their aim [has been] to control a human being without the person being aware of their efforts. They use drugs, they use electroshock, they use hypnosis, and ultimately electromagnetic energy. That seemed to be what paid off the most for them.”

posted on Oct, 21 2014 @ 06:17 PM
link   
a reply to: khnum

I haven't had any of that but I just feel it's evil and really should not be done. Things like Google Glass leave people wanting more and a more convenient way.

posted on Oct, 21 2014 @ 06:21 PM
link   
a reply to: Yeahkeepwatchingme

Genetics,robotics,artificial intelligence,synthetic biology,nanotechnology and human enhancement such as chimeras equals an imminent assault on Gods creation,we have to be very careful with this stuff

posted on Oct, 21 2014 @ 06:23 PM
link   

According to the plan we won't be. That's the frightening thing. But we're comforted in knowing that our refusal to take these items won't be held against us when we're judged. Other things we do, yup.

posted on Oct, 21 2014 @ 06:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: Yeahkeepwatchingme

According to the plan we won't be. That's the frightening thing. But we're comforted in knowing that our refusal to take these items won't be held against us when we're judged. Other things we do, yup.

Exactly, I agree with you completely. There is much can't now, nor later be able to do much about. But there is possibility in our reactions that are within our control.

posted on Oct, 21 2014 @ 06:25 PM
link   
a reply to: Raxoxane

Indeed so!

I speculate that this could also lead to man portable thought controlled weapons systems, some of which might be partially implanted.

Of course, it would only be a matter of time before hacking of these systems became a real issue!

posted on Oct, 21 2014 @ 06:25 PM
link   
a reply to: Yeahkeepwatchingme

Better get a sword then historically speaking if the head comes off thats the end of it whatever it is.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join