It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Man jumps on stage and opens fire at concert

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 9 2004 @ 11:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dr Love
Why can't anyone run on stage and shoot at Britney Spears' band, or Hanson's band, or N'Sync's band, or the band of that weak a*s clown Clay Aiken? Why must those that rock hardest come to such an end?

Peace out

That's what I was thinking.

It's a bit like why didn't someone stand up and shoot Bush Sr/Jr e.t.c. instead of JFK.

posted on Dec, 9 2004 @ 11:07 AM
link   
The gunman Nate Gale was 25, had been discharged from the marines before his enlistment was up. An eyewitness said Nate walked up behind dimebag and shot him in the head at point blank range several times. 2 band members are dead but they did not say on the local news who the second band member was.
www.nbc4i.com...

[edit on 9-12-2004 by cryptorsa1001]

posted on Dec, 9 2004 @ 11:10 AM
link   
I live outside of columbus and have been to the alrosa villa many times my band has even played there. They do not check for weapons or at least never have when I had gone and I seen just as big acts there as Damage Plan. I don't know why the guy did it and I don't care this is horrible!! I saw Dope there I week or so ago there and remember saying to a friend " I bet anyone could just bring a gun in here and start shooting."

[edit on 9-12-2004 by Kramthenothing]

posted on Dec, 9 2004 @ 11:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by John Nada

Why can't anyone run on stage and shoot at Britney Spears' band, or Hanson's band, or N'Sync's band, or the band of that weak a*s clown Clay Aiken? Why must those that rock hardest come to such an end?

Peace out

That's what I was thinking.

It's a bit like why didn't someone stand up and shoot Bush Sr/Jr e.t.c. instead of JFK.

I was thinking more along the lines of "Why do people feel the need to kill other people period?" Why would you essentially say "I wish so-and-so would have died instead?"

That's pretty sad, guys, and it doesn't say much for either of you.

Also, I'm hearing unconfirmed reports that Vinnie is dead too... I'll keep trying to find more info. This is complete B.S.!!!

posted on Dec, 9 2004 @ 11:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by The Axeman

I was thinking more along the lines of "Why do people feel the need to kill other people period?" Why would you essentially say "I wish so-and-so would have died instead?"

That's pretty sad, guys, and it doesn't say much for either of you.

Also, I'm hearing unconfirmed reports that Vinnie is dead too... I'll keep trying to find more info. This is complete B.S.!!!

I think you misunderstand and are taking my words, at least, out of context. I wish it never would have happened, to ANYONE. But in the real world it's just not so, is it? That being the case, I wish he would have busted a cap in someone who was more annoying and considerably less talented. God knows there's plenty more crappy entertainers waiting on the horizon to take their place. Ease up!

Peace

posted on Dec, 9 2004 @ 12:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Axeman

I wish death on no one (with one or two exceptions) but if the hammer is going to fall then I'd rather it fell on a no-talent, self-obsessed nincompoop like Britney, Justin e.t.c. than and actual talented musician.

Here's the shocker, if one of them died...I......wouldn't.....care.....

I would feel nothing, because I don't think the world would have lost anything terribly important other than maybe some bimbo teaching 9-12 year old girls to dress like sluts.

Yeah...I don't think I'd miss that too much...sorry.

[edit on 9-12-2004 by John Nada]

posted on Dec, 9 2004 @ 12:27 PM
link   
NM, missed an explanation post.

[edit on 12-9-2004 by Esoterica]

posted on Dec, 9 2004 @ 12:31 PM
link   
This is indeed a terrible tragedy. I never really liked Pantera that much, they're good but not my cup of tea, but Dimebag was a great guitarist.

That said, I want to comment on the people who automatically spewed the "youth of today are idiots" ideology. According to witnesses it seemed that this was some old fat guy in an NHL jacket, from what I read it didn't seem like this was a teenager. Also, as someone already said, these concerts are usually not attended by many teenagers, it's usually guys over their 30's who dug Pantera or whatever back in the day.

I'm 20, just out of that "irresponsible, no conscience youth" stage I guess, and I take offense whenever someone makes a generalization about teenagers and violence. Most teenagers have a conscience. We're not all idiots. If any of us are idiots, it's not due to violence in the media, it's due to crappy parents. Don't automatically blame the violent media for anything that goes wrong that involves a gun. It's ridiculous.

Sorry... That's my rant of the day, I had to get it off my chest.

RIP Dimebag.

posted on Dec, 9 2004 @ 12:52 PM
link   
I'm really glad to know that there are so many who loved what Dimebag did for us. As always, that's the way it goes, and it's hard to lose someone who was so inspirational to so many, but at least he was able to leave us with what he did. So he goes the way of so many others who were all so influential, as well as young. Jimi, Stevie, Randy...

What is it about an exceptional entertainer's death that seems to impact us more than other prominent figures in society? I think it is because if there were truly a gift that God gave us to make us happy, it would be music.

signature
"Clash With Reality"

"Dimebag" Darrell Abbott, 1966-2004

To my unwary mentor,
May you forever shred for the Gods that be, and be there waiting to shred with me.

posted on Dec, 9 2004 @ 01:06 PM
link   
What a shame, its so senseless. Most concerts I've been to were peaceful and you'd look out for your fallen brothers and sisters in the pits. I really can't believe so many of you are toting the old stereotypes of heavy metal music as such a huge negative influence. I've listened to metal all my life and have never been in a real fight let alone thought i was a violent person. Music is the one thing thats been there for me when nothing and no one else was. I"ll be cranking some Pantera today...

posted on Dec, 9 2004 @ 01:32 PM
link   
I can't believe what I am reading.

The DIMEBAG is dead????????????? I cant friggin believe this.

God, pantera was classic! Kick ass! Dimebag ruled!!!!!!!!!! I just saw them four years ago at Ozzfest! They kicked ass! Dimebag was alive and well, and man, he tore our ears a new bunghole!

I now shall play cemetary gates in honor of a guitarist who belongs in the same league as Randy Rhodes, Kirk Hammet, Eddie Van halen, Jerry Cantrel, ect!

R.I.P. Ill smoke a dime for you tonite!

posted on Dec, 9 2004 @ 01:49 PM
link   
You know, after thinking on this for a night and reviewing more of the story I have to offer an apology. I was angry at the time to hear that something like this could take place in such a time of heightened security and took the easy way out and stereotypically blamed the youth of today. Man, it scares me how much I sounded like a typical closed minded �old man�. I went against exactly what I preach not to do and that�s come to conclusions with out all of the details and in an angry state. After coming to my senses I in no way, shape, or form blame today�s youth for the act of one deranged soul for to do so would be flat out wrong and simple minded. I hope that anyone I have offended will accept my apology for this error in judgment.

posted on Dec, 9 2004 @ 02:11 PM
link   
I wish to add one thing regarding Darrell's death.

He died the exact moment he was doing what he loved most. Being onstage with his best friend (his guitar) in his hands. He did not have to suffer any pain. I am willing to bet that if he'd been asked how he'd like to die, he would have said while he was playing.

How many people get that gift...dying with their true love? Most of us won't. No, his death is in no way glamorous, but we can all look at the fact that he was doing what he loved most when it happened.

I hope I pass away while I'm writing, my true love.
May the Lord bless him with eternal life.

Dot.

posted on Dec, 9 2004 @ 02:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by dotgov101
I wish to add one thing regarding Darrell's death.

He died the exact moment he was doing what he loved most. Being onstage with his best friend (his guitar) in his hands. He did not have to suffer any pain. I am willing to bet that if he'd been asked how he'd like to die, he would have said while he was playing.

How many people get that gift...dying with their true love? Most of us won't. No, his death is in no way glamorous, but we can all look at the fact that he was doing what he loved most when it happened.

I hope I pass away while I'm writing, my true love.
May the Lord bless him with eternal life.

Dot.

I see the point you're trying to make, but I'm not buying it. I love to play golf. If someone were to walk up behind me, while I was trying to drain a 15 footer, and bust a cap in my a*s, I would not see it as a blessing. Would I rather play golf, or die? Would I rather have sex, or die?? If someone were to kill me while having sex, my soul would be tortured forever because I was never able to blow my l**d (I hope that keeps me out of trouble).

Peace

[edit on 9-12-2004 by Dr Love]

posted on Dec, 9 2004 @ 02:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by skychief
You know, after thinking on this for a night and reviewing more of the story I have to offer an apology. I was angry at the time to hear that something like this could take place in such a time of heightened security and took the easy way out and stereotypically blamed the youth of today. Man, it scares me how much I sounded like a typical closed minded �old man�. I went against exactly what I preach not to do and that�s come to conclusions with out all of the details and in an angry state. After coming to my senses I in no way, shape, or form blame today�s youth for the act of one deranged soul for to do so would be flat out wrong and simple minded. I hope that anyone I have offended will accept my apology for this error in judgment.

Absolutely accepted.

I think this is the same initial reaction that most people have to the bad "news" we get shoved down our throats on a minutely basis. Only after we have time to properly digest the information we've gained can we become disenflamed by the god damn stupidity of it all.

posted on Dec, 9 2004 @ 02:28 PM
link   

Would I rather play golf, or die?

I think the point is that since you can't choose when or how you go, you might as well be happy if you're doing what you love. I mean, if I were on a stage rockin' they's socks off, and I was suddenly 'sploded by some lightning, that would be cool with me.

posted on Dec, 9 2004 @ 02:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by DeltaChaos
I think the point is that since you can't choose when or how you go, you might as well be happy if you're doing what you love. I mean, if I were on a stage rockin' they's socks off, and I was suddenly 'sploded by some lightning, that would be cool with me.

I hear ya. If it was accidental or an act of God, that would be cool, but to have David Berkowitz walk up behind you and put you down like a tired old horse while you're in the middle of your guitar solo is not cool. Depends on how you look at it I guess.

Peace

posted on Dec, 9 2004 @ 02:48 PM
link   
No, you're more right. That does suck hard.

Stupid crazy bastard, that Nate was.

You can kinda feel sorry for him though. Dimebag's life was tortured at times, but it probably wasn't as tortured as this guys. May he find the peace in death that he could not find in life... and stuff.

posted on Dec, 9 2004 @ 03:00 PM
link   
Pantera.......about the only good thing that came out of Texas during the last 20 years.

Im still rather shocked by the whole thing tho. I cant believe Dimebag is gone.

I can think of a couple of texans who deserved a good shot in the head more than Dimebag did..........I still am pretty shook by this.

To me, this is comparable to two other crisis: When I got the News layne Staley died of an O.D., and Joey Ramone.

posted on Dec, 9 2004 @ 03:12 PM
link   
Skychief

I think you were only guilty of an over generalization, which, by the way, is not indicative of any particular age. However, I do believe that someone needs to do some generalizing to come to terms with the messages that our culture promulgates. I saw portions of one of the band's videos and it was nothing but chaotic violence. Now, I'm not saying that there is no room for the gothic element in our culture. I write some dark stuff myself, but when one's personna and the sum of one's works is violence, drugs and alienation, then something is not really right. I don't want to blame the victims here. There have been many people who have spoken of "Dimebag's" gentle nature and his musical genius. It's too late for him.

Maybe the rest of the heavy metal community needs to take a good look at themselves. One of the bands on the marquee outside the bar is named Hatebreed.

Here are some more examples:

Anthrax
Black Sabbath
Burning in Hell
Dark Angel
Destruction
DoomSword
Exorcist
Fight
Grave Digger
Helloween
Manowar
Megadeth
Cessation Of Life
Full of Rage
Respiration Has Ceased

Well, you get the idea. Here are more for those who are interested.

sam.hochberg.com...

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join