It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Man jumps on stage and opens fire at concert

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 9 2004 @ 03:14 PM
link   
I read in an article somewhere that the gunman was screaming at Dimebag for breaking up Pantera.

posted on Dec, 9 2004 @ 03:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by electric squid carpet
Katolu, this is a conspiracy related website, you do realise this dont you?

[edit on 9-12-2004 by electric squid carpet]

I think we are all aware of that, however allow me to point out it is only proper that those having opposing views should be allowed to give their counter points. It is only fair. We all do not agree, so why not cut those that disagree at times some slack?

Or are you under the impression that no mater what anyone says everything in life is a conspiracy?

posted on Dec, 9 2004 @ 03:17 PM
link   
I don't think that there is any conspiracy involved here. The crazed fan had a beef with Dimebag for leaving up Pantera. That's all.

EDIT:

I found the link.

"I was up close to the stage on the side where Dimebag was playing," wrote one fan on the band's website. "Then I saw the guy jump out of the crowd onto the stage. He was yelling something about how 'You broke up Pantera, you ruined my life. What about Phil?' " - referring to Phil Anselmo, the Pantera singer who did not join Damageplan. " 'He needs heroin money.'

www.theage.com.au...

[edit on 9-12-2004 by TheBandit795]

posted on Dec, 9 2004 @ 03:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by GradyPhilpott
Skychief

I think you were only guilty of an over generalization, which, by the way, is not indicative of any particular age. However, I do believe that someone needs to do some generalizing to come to terms with the messages that our culture promulgates. I saw portions of one of the band's videos and it was nothing but chaotic violence. Now, I'm not saying that there is no room for the gothic element in our culture. I write some dark stuff myself, but when one's personna and the sum of one's works is violence, drugs and alienation, then something is not really right. I don't want to blame the victims here. There have been many people who have spoken of "Dimebag's" gentle nature and his musical genius. It's too late for him.

Maybe the rest of the heavy metal community needs to take a good look at themselves. One of the bands on the marquee outside the bar is named Hatebreed.

Here are some more examples:

Anthrax
Black Sabbath
Burning in Hell
Dark Angel
Destruction
DoomSword
Exorcist
Fight
Grave Digger
Helloween
Manowar
Megadeth
Cessation Of Life
Full of Rage
Respiration Has Ceased

Well, you get the idea. Here are more for those who are interested.

sam.hochberg.com...

Spoken like someone a generation or two removed.

You simply do not understand.

It is hardly a violent culture, the heavy metal one, despite the images that you simply see and make judgement.
\
Its about channeling these dark feelings into music and energy.

If you actually knew any genuine metalheads, they are alot more mellow, laid back and non violent than most country western fans i know.

Wake up and smell the youth, old timer.

posted on Dec, 9 2004 @ 04:00 PM
link   
apnews.myway.com...

"Police identified the gunman as Nathan Gale, 25, of Marysville, 25 miles northwest of Columbus. Police said they had no information on a motive or any connection to Abbott or his band, the Texas-based group Damageplan."

"The gunman had a hostage in a headlock and appeared to be preparing to kill him when the officer shot him in the face with a rifle, police and a witness said. The hostage escaped uninjured, spokesman Sgt. Brent Mull said."

posted on Dec, 9 2004 @ 04:05 PM
link   
RIP Dimebag Darrell Abbott 1966-2004

"When you think of '90s heavy metal or hard rock, Pantera is one of these seminal bands. They are quoted today as influences by many bands," said Tom Calderone, MTV's executive vice president. "Hard rock has lost a legendary guitar player."

Dimebag's exceptional guitar playing and flair for partying endeared him to friends and fans, and the band was known for post-concert backstage parties spiked with Crown Royal whiskey, said Paul Gargano, executive editor of Metal Edge magazine.

"He was just a huge fan of rock music and heavy metal and the lifestyle," said Gargano, who considered the guitarist a good friend.

Despite Dimebag's nickname, Gargono said, "It was funny because I never saw him smoke pot all the time I knew him."

"I'm absolutely beside myself with grief. I can't for the life of me understand why someone would do this," said Ozzy Osbourne, who often toured with Pantera.

Mark Hunter, lead singer of the metal band Chimaira, said Abbott "changed the way metal music was written with his guitar playing. I don't know anybody in a band who hasn't stolen a few guitar riffs from him."

A fan posting on the band's Web site read, "This is the worst day in metal history."

Pantera's manager Kim Zide-Davis, who worked with Abbott from 1994 to 2003, called him larger than life, and said she often told the guitarist he was "a living cartoon character."

Born in Dallas on Aug. 20, 1966, Darrell Abbott was introduced to music by his father, country songwriter Jerry Abbott, who owned a recording studio. The younger Abbott gravitated toward rock music and the styles of Tony Iommi, Ace Frehley, Eddie Van Halen and Randy Rhoads.

The Abbott brothers and bassist Rex Rocker formed Pantera in 1983. Then Abbott went by the name "Diamond Darrell." Abbott later took the moniker "Dimebag" and was often referred to as "Dime" by fans and friends.

Early on, Pantera leaned more toward hard rock, but the band began to develop a heavier sound after singer Phil Anselmo joined in 1987. After releasing a few independent albums, Pantera signed with Atlantic Records in 1990. It was also the period when Abbott came into his own as a guitar player, developing his heavy, frenetic sound that can first be heard on the 1990 album "Cowboys from Hell" and then on the 1992 standout "Vulgar Display of Power."

Pantera's fast, aggressive sound attracted a massive cult following in the early 1990s, and its third release, "Far Beyond Driven," debuted at No. 1 in 1994, surprising chart-watchers and critics alike. Other hit albums were "The Great Southern Trendkill" and "Reinventing The Steel," and a song by the band became the Dallas Stars hockey team's signature tune in 1999.

Pantera was nominated for Grammies for best metal performance in 1995 for "I'm Broken" and in 2001 for "Revolution Is My Name." The video "The Best of Pantera: Far Beyond the Great Southern Cowboys' Vulgar Hits" hit the top 10 for music-video sales earlier this year; another video, "3-Watch It Go," went top-10 in 1998.

In recent years, Abbott also made recording appearances on Nickleback's "The Long Road" and with Frehley, of the band Kiss.

Besides the Abbott brothers, Damageplan also includes vocalist Patrick Lachman and bassist Bob Zilla.

news.yahoo.com.../ap/20041209/ap_en_ot/obit_dimebag_10

Dimebag was a superb guitarist.

posted on Dec, 9 2004 @ 04:06 PM
link   

I see the point you're trying to make, but I'm not buying it. I love to play golf. If someone were to walk up behind me, while I was trying to drain a 15 footer, and bust a cap in my a*s, I would not see it as a blessing. Would I rather play golf, or die? Would I rather have sex, or die?? If someone were to kill me while having sex, my soul would be tortured forever because I was never able to blow my l**d (I hope that keeps me out of trouble).

Peace

[edit on 9-12-2004 by Dr Love]

The point I'm trying to make is that death is inevitable for all of us. And, having survived it three times, it changed my perspective completely. I am a mediocre guitar player, and I love to write. I would rather be doing either of those when I go as opposed to laying in ICU in the middle of the night.

The only thing worse than death is the supposition, or the knowledge, that it will happen soon. We are supposedly the only creatures who are aware of our own demise, yet we all think that we can pick and choose how and when we will go.

Not so, friends.

I am, in no way, shape, or form saying it's a wonderful thing that he died. I am saying that he was BLESSED to be doing what he loved when it happened. The odds of that are slim to none.

I realize that everyone is angry and confused, but there is solace in this incident. The man who committed the crime received an equal punishment immediately. Justice has been served.

Dot.

posted on Dec, 9 2004 @ 04:41 PM
link   
www.angelfire.com...
This is a link to the source of the banner shown below for those interested in using it....

posted on Dec, 9 2004 @ 04:49 PM
link   
Anyone who is familiar with Pantera will know that it does not glorify violence like the sick lyrics in some other metal. I'm not a fan of Pantera but I am familiar with the lyrics in their songs. From what I remember they talked a lot about friendship, loss and other society issues. I remember seeing a clip from a Pantera video which shows a lot of road trip and backstage stuff, and after a concert in some US state there was a group of christian zealots who confronted pantera screaming stuff about casting them out and demons and devil etc. etc. But if they had any idea they would know that there is nothing in their lyrics glorifying satan or any of that stereotypical metal rubbish.

Sure their music sounded angry, but that is just an expression. Having friends who listened to Pantera, and my coming in contact with the music without being a fan, I must say that I feel I know them somewhat just through my friends enjoying their music over the years. This is very sad.

posted on Dec, 9 2004 @ 04:59 PM
link   
Also, the attitudes of some fans make me sick:

Deaths at metal gig as fan opens fire

"There's some blood on my ticket stub, so I'm going to sell it on eBay or keep it or something."

Other notices on the website - which noted that objects were already for sale on eBay - were not so heartfelt. "Personally, I want a refund," wrote one.

posted on Dec, 9 2004 @ 05:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skadi_the_Evil_Elf
You simply do not understand.

You really shouldn't roll your eyes and tell me I don't understand. I was listening to Alice Cooper and Black Sabbeth before you were born. It is true that my tastes have drifted, but I know what I see and I know what makes the world go round. I realize that for many, if not most, it's all a joke, but these messages and images are not benign for everyone.

Wake up and smell the youth, old timer.

And I will thank you not to insult me. Your image could use a little brushing up.

[edit on 04/12/9 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Dec, 9 2004 @ 06:21 PM
link   
Truly a sad day for music in America. Dimebag was arguably the best "metal" guitar player alive before yesterday
I'll be playing Pantera over the PA system at work tomorrow in tribute

posted on Dec, 9 2004 @ 06:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by GradyPhilpott

You really shouldn't roll your eyes and tell me I don't understand. I was listening to Alice Cooper and Black Sabbeth before you were born. It is true that my tastes have drifted, but I know what I see and I know what makes the world go round. I realize that for many, if not most, it's all a joke, but these messages and images are not benign for everyone.

And I will thank you not to insult me. Your image could use a little brushing up.

[edit on 04/12/9 by GradyPhilpott]

Niether are religous images benign for everyone either. How many people go around blowing others away because of a passage they read in the bible.

Nor is military service benign for everyone, as this guy had been recently discharged from the Marines.

The reason this idiot shot dimebag was because he blamed him for breaking up Pantera. Not because of lyrics or images he heard.

You simply dont get it. This crap about violence, music, and lyrics is an old lame paranoid old people party line. Just about anything can be a malignant influence.

Panteras lyrics had little to do with killing, death, and violence. it was about personal things and feelings.

If you wanna talk about Malign influences, the big one is obvious: he just left the Marines. The military. That in itself opens up all sorts of possibilities.

posted on Dec, 9 2004 @ 07:03 PM
link   
I was in alrosa about a month ago to watch my cousins band win the battle of the bands. I do not remember seing an\y metal detectors. Getting in the back door is extremely simple as well. And thier is no back stage area. The place is small.

I can't actually believe this happened. I heard the breaking news of it at about 11:05 or so I do not remember what time. I live just outside of columbus. RIP Dimebag you will always be remembered. It's a sad day for music.

posted on Dec, 9 2004 @ 07:10 PM
link   
Looks like someone pissed off the elf, glad I'm not him.

I just needed to add, in full Libertarian spirit, that if all of the headbangers in the club were armed there probably would have been a much lower body count.

posted on Dec, 9 2004 @ 07:13 PM
link   
I;m so upset about this i can hardly type.dimebag darrel was one of the finest guitarist to have lived,the world has lost a HUGE talent.
i dont even know what to say,im so shocked and hurt i cant think.
please dont drag this into some government BS psyops thing.
R.I.P darrel!!!

posted on Dec, 9 2004 @ 08:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Fry2
Looks like someone pissed off the elf, glad I'm not him.

I just needed to add, in full Libertarian spirit, that if all of the headbangers in the club were armed there probably would have been a much lower body count.

I consider myself a Libertarian but I have to say in this instance, in that chaos, we probably wouldn't know what happened if everyone was armed. Everybody would probably be dead at this point. There are just some places, even in a libertarian run society, that you would need to check your gun at the door.

posted on Dec, 9 2004 @ 08:11 PM
link   
I probably should have been more specific in my description. Sorry.
I meant anyone who is in a safe condition (sober) to be carrying a firearm for self defence. Tough to regulate, I admit, but I guarantee you would see a decrease in crime overall if more law abiding citizens were armed and trained in the safe handling and storage of firearms.
Criminals fear armed "Victims" more than the police.
I guess they're not as dumb as we think they are....

posted on Dec, 9 2004 @ 08:43 PM
link   
I was never much of a pantera fan & until this story I'd never knew Damageplan existed. Though it is really sad that people will go to the lengths to kill someone because they were responsible for breaking up their favorite band.

Sounds like the Club made a big mistake by not keeping the back doors locked.

For you conspiracy nuts (nuttier than me) the killer was an ex-Marine, so I guess you can say he was government trained.

[edit on 9-12-2004 by outsider]

posted on Dec, 9 2004 @ 08:53 PM
link   
This is a significant loss to the world. Darrell will always live on both in his recordings and his fans. The man was an incredible musician.

I too find the "coincidental" timing of the death a bit too coincidental (12/8/1980, Lennon -- 12/8/2004, Dimebag).

Does this coincidence suggest the application of mind control? It is far too early to tell. Once the eyewitness reports come out, we will be given more data points to evaluate.

However, state-sponsored mind control is only one hypothesis. It is important to consider others. Was there a personal grudge? Was this a case of a violent and mentally ill man? Was it all of the above? Since the killer is dead, there will be no confirmation or evaluation. Thus we must look to the past for clues in order to estimate the origin of the gunman's motivations.

This is turning into a rant, but it torques me off that the death of these people at the hands of a whack-job who needed serious mental health treatment is boiled down to mind control.

Determining the cause of a crime involves the process of hypothesis generation. Are you aware of any specific evidence that refutes the mind control hypothesis? Have you considered that "serious mental health treatment" might be synonymous with "mind control"?

MK

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join