It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lockheed says it's close on nuclear fusion

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 15 2014 @ 12:21 PM
link   
I started a Breaking News thread here but given Lockheed's key position in defense, aerospace and black projects, the implications of this announcement are certainly worth discussing on the UFO forum as well.

Highlights from the announcement that came in an Aviation Week exclusive:

* Lockheed believes it has solved the technical problems holding back nuclear fusion
* Expects a prototype in 5 years, commercial applications within 10 years
* 100 MW power plant in units measuring 23 X 43 ft. (about size of a semi-truck)
* Nuclear fusion is a super-clean energy source that does not use uranium/plutonium but deuterium and tritium that can be extracted from seawater and lithium

This is not "zero point energy", "cold fusion" or some other unproven science. I don't have the time to explain the differences between nuclear fission and fusion in this post and hot vs. cold fusion (strong force vs. weak force), but if you are familiar with the science involved you know that this is one of the "holy grails" of energy systems. Everyone accepts nuclear fusion is workable, but nobody has gotten a viable reactor going. Lockheed has come out strong saying they can according to their timetable, and they want to partner up and commercialize this research and technology.

Stanton Friedman should be especially pleased. The idea of nuclear-powered aircraft that can stay aloft indefinitely, projects he worked on in the 1950s, could be made feasible again by the successful development of this technology. That is specifically one of Lockheed's goals.

Also extremely relevant for this forum: nuclear fusion propulsion for spacecraft makes reaching Mars so much easier. Or even beyond? How many 100 MW power plants do you need to reach Alpha Centauri?

Since this Lockheed, this project may well have received secret DoD black budget funding to ensure the military got it first and prototypes in military use could easily account for UFO sightings such as the Phoenix Lights: massive, silent craft. Perhaps?

And I think we all know what Ben Rich, head of Lockheed Martin's Skunk Works (this nuclear fusion project is a Skunk Works program) is alleged to have said about UFOs!

May you live in interesting times!

edit on 10/15/2014 by Nicorette because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 15 2014 @ 12:31 PM
link   
a reply to: Nicorette

Also extremely relevant for this forum: nuclear fusion propulsion for spacecraft makes reaching Mars so much easier. Or even beyond? How many 100 MW power plants do you need to reach Alpha Centauri?

You can probably reach any star with one or two but it might take a few hundred years.

posted on Oct, 15 2014 @ 12:39 PM
link   
You know this is exciting news when there are half a dozen threads about it posted in a couple hours.

posted on Oct, 15 2014 @ 12:40 PM
link   
progress although slow, is being made with regards to new forms of propulsion. I am curious as to where we stand with the building of a potential warp drive. I thought NASA was working on this, but I could be wrong.

posted on Oct, 15 2014 @ 01:05 PM
link   
Why has the stock taken such a hit? It's down about $5 a share today.

posted on Oct, 15 2014 @ 01:12 PM
link   
a reply to: abe froman

The whole market is in the toilet today. Everyone's trying to find the cause. Frankly I think its because of the end of QE. A trillion dollar infusion by the Fed ends this month. Another reason may well be that the European economies are near into deflation territory. Deflation was a problem with the US economy during the 1920's; deflation is extremely destructive.

posted on Oct, 15 2014 @ 01:20 PM
link   
What if "they" have been sitting on this technology for 50 years letting the mad max oil wars play out?
Forget the cut and paste crap, if you knew the world was running out of oil and had this technology when would you reveal it?

posted on Oct, 15 2014 @ 01:41 PM
link   
Closed.

15h.) Spamming: You will not Post identical content, or snippets of identical content, to multiple threads in the discussion forums. You will also not create more than one thread for your topic, or create multiple "slightly different" threads for a single topic.

Please direct your comments to one of the ongoing threads.

Science Forum

BAN Forum
edit on Wed Oct 15 2014 by Jbird because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join