It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

F-22 down in Jordan?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 11 2014 @ 10:00 AM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

If they were to put a warning light for everything that could go wrong you wouldn't even have basic instruments displayed.

posted on Oct, 11 2014 @ 10:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr
The jet is not aerodynamically stable enough to maintain trim during flight without the computer.

Stealth has tradeoffs.

The jet was designed with relaxed-stability from the start. Greater stability in flight means less control surface authority. Relaxed-stability, therefore, means greater maneuverability is possible with smaller control surfaces. This means less induced drag from control surfaces and less stress on the aircraft. Most modern combat aircraft are designed from the start to take advantage of relaxed stability regardless of their radar signature. Goes all the way back to the F-16.

posted on Oct, 11 2014 @ 10:02 AM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

No modern fighter can fly without computers.

As for stealth in daylight they've found ways to make it less visible. That's why they painted a Nighthawk grey.

posted on Oct, 11 2014 @ 10:03 AM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

It raises another question you might be able to answer.

Just how 'smart' are these new Russian SAMs? Would they have to maintain the lock from the site, itself, or is it now a fire and forget?

It seems to me that even if the site could get and maintain a lock on a Raptor, the missile probably couldn't having much less capability than the site.

posted on Oct, 11 2014 @ 10:21 AM
link   
a reply to: nwtrucker

Some of the new missiles are capable of using an optical system in the seeker to match planforms of target aircraft. They're a lot more dangerous than they ever were before.

posted on Oct, 11 2014 @ 10:37 AM
link   

Optics, eh?

In keeping with the shrinking budget, perhaps the driver can tape a couple of laser-lights to his helmet, blind the missile and finish it off with his guns.

posted on Oct, 11 2014 @ 10:39 AM
link   

Or they can put a green light on the fuselage.

posted on Oct, 11 2014 @ 10:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58

This is from August 2013. Never happened.

WHEW ... THANK GOD...
I almost had a heart attack when I saw the thread.
Besides possibly losing an exceptional pilot, we don't want anyone finding
and analyzing that bird.

posted on Oct, 11 2014 @ 10:45 AM
link   
a reply to: UnderKingsPeak

Apologies, for the scare. Mia Culpa. I freaked out when I found this as well.

I promise to vet it better next time. (it was post cigarette, but pre-coffee, as well...another check-list violation
)

posted on Oct, 11 2014 @ 12:55 PM
link   
So in the thread you authored about a sighting a friend of yours had. Weird California sighting In the opening post you mention him seeing a green strobe light on the fuselage. Is that why there would have been a green strobe? To blind the enemy optical missile system.. ?? Sorry if this is completely wrong.

ETA: I'm sorry I read the last page of that thread, and you explain that is why. Why wouldn't you say that in the opening post though (Instead of that it had a green strobe light, and not elaborating why)?
edit on 11-10-2014 by jeenyus2008 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 11 2014 @ 01:17 PM
link   
a reply to: jeenyus2008

Because at the time that the thread started, I wasn't entirely sure what the purpose of the green light was, or if it was entirely strobe, or if it was exhaust. I learn things as I go too.

posted on Oct, 11 2014 @ 01:56 PM
link   
Ok, that makes sense. I shouldn't assume :X Thanks for the clarification.

posted on Oct, 11 2014 @ 06:14 PM
link   
Ah yes but to not have some aural and master caution warning of an inoperative FCS is a gross design oversight. Modern airliners do and generally wont let you do much until you rectify the problem. Its not like a Flight Control Computer(s) can be classed as some secondary system with a lower priority cockpit message. And it raises the point of why is there not an uninterrupted power supply when shunting from one source like engine generators or ground power to APU to stop faults like that from happening? Its not like power suddenly dropped off a bus accidentally, this is an architecture oversight with apparently no warning mechanism.

LEE.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join