It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Only the Truly Needy Have Any Excuse to Wear Fur

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 8 2004 @ 12:12 PM
link   
I think this is one of the most inspiring articles ever. PETA distribute furs to the homeless. It works on so many levels - now the rich and famous will share their " fur wearing exclusiveness" with the homeless. I saw this story on the news today but haven't found it on any news site but PETA.

Bravo to PETA.

"Seattle — Under a banner reading, "Free Fur Coats," PETA will hand out dozens of fur coats—donated by those who have moved on to kinder, gentler garments—to some of Seattle’s neediest people at a local homeless shelter:

Date: Tuesday, December 7
Time: 1 p.m. sharp
Place: Capitol Hill Community Resource Center, 509 10th Ave. East

Over the years, PETA has received thousands of fur coats from people—including Kimberley Hefner and Barbara Bach—who have been sickened by expos�s of cruelty to animals caught in leghold traps and driven mad in tiny fur-farm cages. PETA uses the donated furs in library displays, anti-fur fashion shows, street theater, and other educational events designed to convince consumers that animals should never be fashion victims. Now the animal rights group is giving them to the homeless.

"We can’t bring these animals back, but we can send a message that only people truly struggling to survive have any excuse for wearing fur," says PETA President Ingrid E. Newkirk.

PETA has previously distributed fur coats to the homeless throughout the U.S., the U.K., and Canada. This will be PETA’s first fur-coat giveaway in Seattle."

www.peta.org...

Nox

posted on Dec, 8 2004 @ 12:15 PM
link   
I love it!

Thanks for sharing that article, Mynaeris.

posted on Dec, 8 2004 @ 12:15 PM
link   
I know that this is gonna sound really un-PC and that I'll be lynched by all the animal lovers out there (I like animals too!) but I don't think that there is anything as sexy as an attractive woman in a fur coat.

Reflecting on this boast it doesn't have to be 'real' fur........especially black cat fur!

posted on Dec, 8 2004 @ 12:19 PM
link   
At one time...humans needed to wear animal fur for warmth......no more...it's an absolute stupidity that it be a "status symbol" to kill an animal simply to wear it's skin..

posted on Dec, 8 2004 @ 12:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by BillyTheCat
I know that this is gonna sound really un-PC and that I'll be lynched by all the animal lovers out there (I like animals too!) but I don't think that there is anything as sexy as an attractive woman in a fur coat.

Let me expand on that BTC: "but I don't think that there is anything as sexy as an attractive woman in a fur coat" and nothing else!

Peace

posted on Dec, 8 2004 @ 12:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by LadyV
At one time...humans needed to wear animal fur for warmth......no more...it's an absolute stupidity that it be a "status symbol" to kill an animal simply to wear it's skin..

Not if you're the gov. of California. Not to mention ex-Barbarian and Destroyer.

posted on Dec, 8 2004 @ 12:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dr Love
"but I don't think that there is anything as sexy as an attractive woman in a fur coat" and nothing else!

Peace
Well wonderful
is it a requirement with you that it be the skin of a real animal...

posted on Dec, 8 2004 @ 12:42 PM
link   

100% with you on that ladyv

I think unless its needed for warmth to survive out there in the plains then i see no use for real fur in 2004/5 and beyond,

there are many many fake furs out there that look and feel real,

(burns the fur jackets)

posted on Dec, 8 2004 @ 12:58 PM
link   
Dr Love.......I did originally put that in, but took it out again as I thought it made me sound like an ageing perv LOL

posted on Dec, 8 2004 @ 01:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by BillyTheCat
Dr Love.......I did originally put that in, but took it out again as I thought it made me sound like an ageing perv LOL

I find it rather odd that the two of you find this to be the one, single most sexy thing that exist!

posted on Dec, 8 2004 @ 01:14 PM
link   
Normally PETA gets on my nerves[1], but I applaud them in this. It's nice to see the group extend their efforts to providing comfort to humans as well.

[1] I have sympathy for their cause, but their grandstanding, I feel, does more harm than good to other animal-rights, or even prevention-of-animal-cruelty, groups.

posted on Dec, 8 2004 @ 01:17 PM
link   
Whoever thinks that PETA is cool for handing out free fur coats is just as hypocritical as PETA for giving away these fur coats instead of ridding the world of them. Anyone else who thinks that real furs should be no more, better not own a pet. Because by owning a pet, you are enslaving that animal. Right there proves that you dont care about ethical treatment for animals. So, we have synthetic leather, so lets just stop buying real leather products too. Whats that you say? We use the animal for food and use the leather so it is not wasted? This is acceptable? Who knows! *deleted comment* Down with PETA!

[edit on 8-12-2004 by lost1]

posted on Dec, 8 2004 @ 01:21 PM
link   
By the way LadyV, nice avatar. That poor cat was trying to break free from that synnical woman but the woman wouldnt let go of the cats leg. You are showing your love for animal cruelty. Poor cat, never saw it coming!

posted on Dec, 8 2004 @ 01:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by lost1
Seriously though, most people are making a big stink about real furs because they can afford them anyhow. If I were rich, I would be offended. Down with PETA!

BULL S%$# I had the opportunity to have several when my mother passed away....my sister and I let our sister in law have them...she's a very shallow person, very materialistic, and has her priorities backwards and wanted them
Another mouth spouting off about something he knows nothing of! Am I a big PETA fan? NO...but PETA has done more to bring animal rights to the forefront than any other organization...right back at ya sweetie

posted on Dec, 8 2004 @ 01:34 PM
link   
Well, no matter what statement it makes, I'm glad to see the poor getting something to help keep them warm. I too disagree with killing an animal for its fur alone. I can undersatnd using cow hide for leather because we eat the meat and thats the primary reason although I disagree with inhuman methods for killing them.

Plus, I really don't like the kinds of elitist that wear these in the first place.

Now, if we could only point out the terrible slave-like conditions of people mining diamonds to go on their ignorant fingers, we'd really have made a dent.

On a personal note, one time someone ask me what I thought I was doing wearing a leather coat. It was a time when I was in college and barely getting by so I answered. "I'm poor and I was cold and someone gave it to me." That shut them up.

posted on Dec, 8 2004 @ 01:49 PM
link   
I never said anything about not showing ethical treatment towards animals, I simply said down with PETA! Why, because they are borderline extremists. Come on, if you agree with thier methods of persuasion or getting things done, you must support terrorism too. After all, they are using extreme methods to get their point across. So yes, down with PETA. Right back at ya? What is that supposed to mean? Soemthing you got from Pee-Wees Playhouse, no doubt. I know plenty about furs. I also know plenty about their alternatives. My point is, the majority of fur owners are rich, but in the overall outlook they make up a small percentage. Of course not everyone is going to hate real furs because they cant afford them, but I used that as my point.

posted on Dec, 8 2004 @ 01:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by lost1
Whoever thinks that PETA is cool for handing out free fur coats is just as hypocritical as PETA for giving away these fur coats instead of ridding the world of them.

Actually it would be more disrespectful to get rid of the fur coats.
Animals died for those coats, to get rid of them it would mean they died in vain. Having said that though I woudn't wear one free or not.
You can't even compare having a pet to animals being raised in a inhumane manner just so some rich bastard can cavort around in a fancy coat.

NO animal should be exploited for clothing or food. It's not necessary.
And if you were rich I HOPE you'd be offended!
Do these pictures offend you?

www.all-creatures.org...

www.all-creatures.org...

Clothe the poor, wear the rich...

posted on Dec, 8 2004 @ 01:59 PM
link   
In order to survive, we must kill.

Whether it's a plant or an animal, your food had to be killed to be consumed.

This is simply the way it is, or the way it is designed, whichever you choose to believe.

There is NO synthetic that is as warm or comfortable than REAL animal fur...period.

I know it's not "PC", but I'm really over the PETA freaks...wanting me to eat Tofurkey, etc.

If you're against fur, fine, don't wear one.
If you're against eating meat, fine, don't eat it.

But what I truly despise are those who try to force me to adopt their viewpoints about it.

Granted though, I live in FL, so I have about as much need for a fur coat as an Eskimo does an ice cube, hehe...

posted on Dec, 8 2004 @ 01:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mynaeris
"Seattle � Under a banner reading, "Free Fur Coats," PETA will hand out dozens of fur coats�donated by those who have moved on to kinder, gentler garments�to some of Seattle�s neediest people at a local homeless shelter:

So instead of selling these coats and using the money to help the poor, they'd rather use and manipulate people to attract attention to their cause for animals?

No one needs an excuse to purchase and wear a fur coat.

astrocreep:
no instead of eye patches or black suits are the mods going to start wearing furs?? he he

[edit on 8-12-2004 by Nygdan]

posted on Dec, 8 2004 @ 02:00 PM
link   

lost1 postedI simply said down with PETA! Why, because they are borderline extremists

No you didn't, you said:
lost1 posted Seriously though, most people are making a big stink about real furs because they can afford them anyhow
Insinuating that people do not actually care about this issue but they are jealous they can't afford them...but then, I do understand that one can only judge a situation by the way they themselves think...
As to the "right back at ya"....I can't believe I have to explain this to an adult ...

[edit on 12/8/2004 by LadyV]

[edit on 12/8/2004 by LadyV]

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join