It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Only the Truly Needy Have Any Excuse to Wear Fur

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 9 2004 @ 12:16 AM
link   
Why didnt peta hand out food?
Oh wait......thats riight....they arent truly concerned with the homeless,they just want to make a political point.i see.....silly me,i almost thought they were being charitable and helping their fellow man.
PETA makes me

posted on Dec, 9 2004 @ 12:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by instar
Samhain, please read my post above. I dont work for Peta. I dont support Peta. I do agree with some of their concerns.

I was addressing anok.
your cool.....im sorry if it seemd like i came after you.

posted on Dec, 9 2004 @ 01:10 AM
link   
Samhaim, why bother to ask questions, obviously your mind is already made up?
You asked so I offered their answer to your questions.
And I'm sure you didn't even bother to look?
I don't understand yet, what it is about PETA that's so bad, other than they touch a big nerve in ppl because you have a concience that you don't want disturbed.
If animals were treated the way we, as caring human beings, should there would be no need for PETA or any other animal rights group.
BIG
for all groups working for liberation, animal and human!
BIG
for those trying to block the advancement of human compassion!
(personaly I prefer the ALF, they get the # done!)
animalliberationfront.com...

posted on Dec, 9 2004 @ 01:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by ANOK
Samhaim, why bother to ask questions, obviously your mind is already made up?
You asked so I offered their answer to your questions.
And I'm sure you didn't even bother to look?
I don't understand yet, what it is about PETA that's so bad, other than they touch a big nerve in ppl because you have a concience that you don't want disturbed.
If animals were treated the way we, as caring human beings, should there would be no need for PETA or any other animal rights group.
BIG
for all groups working for liberation, animal and human!
BIG
for those trying to block the advancement of human compassion!
(personaly I prefer the ALF, they get the # done!)
animalliberationfront.com...

I dont have any problem with treating animals ethically.
and part of that to me means making sure that livestock are humanely slaughtered and not abused.
I have ZERO respect for any group that condones violence against people in the name of animals.it's ludicrious.
Peta is a terrorist organization.plain and simple.
Like i said before,if its not ok to eat animals,then WHY is it ok to eat plants???
answer that please.

IBM

posted on Dec, 9 2004 @ 01:19 AM
link   
There is nothing wrong with wearing or eating animals, PETA for i care can go to hell. Animals are made by god to be eaten and and worn for warmth, mmmmmmm.

posted on Dec, 9 2004 @ 01:54 AM
link   
Samhain Dude!
I knew you didn't look at that link I provided you.
You keep asking questions, I supply the answers and you don't even bother to look. The answer to your ridiculous plant question is there.

And please give me some instance of PETA members using violence against anybody. It is against their principles (again see the link), and anybody using violence under the PETA name is a fraud and is as bad as the abusers.
How can someone be compassionate to animals and at the same time condone violence against ppl? That's just plain stoopid.
If all you know about PETA or animal rights activists is what you've read in the local state newspaper then you know nothing. It's so easy to take the reactionary state fed version of the truth than go against the grain and stand up for what is right.
We are so quick to judge from a little bit of news print that is distorted to favour the abusers and the status quo.
(I have personal experience of all this and are willing to talk about it but not on a public forum).

The fight for animal rights is the fight for human rights.

posted on Dec, 9 2004 @ 02:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by IBM
There is nothing wrong with wearing or eating animals, PETA for i care can go to hell. Animals are made by god to be eaten and and worn for warmth, mmmmmmm.

Hmmmmm you need to do some research, here's a start;

www.compassionatespirit.com...

www.highvibrations.org...

posted on Dec, 9 2004 @ 03:42 AM
link   
Anok, this is a little OT but my interest is sparked, could you please explain or provide a link to Peta's stance on keeping reptiles/amphibians.as pets. I did look at the site but under "companion animals" seems primarily to deal with cats, dogs birds. ????
I assume peta stands against snake and croc skin boots, belts bags etc aswell?

[edit on 9-12-2004 by instar]

posted on Dec, 9 2004 @ 04:27 AM
link   

posted on Dec, 9 2004 @ 05:45 AM
link   
Thanks Anok, Im surprised at no mention of snake and croc skin items, rattler roundups etc. Infact other than very basic reptile requirments ,they seem to know little about them, and make generalisations. Im a bit dissappointed.
In summary they seem to be against keeping reptiles full stop.
The site has this line which is rather presumtuous about reptiles

Buying captive-bred animals only encourages breeders to replenish their stock

I dont understand why say this? The earlier statements that buying wild caught animals encourages their removal from their natural habitat and endangers wild populations, i can agree with for the most part. But to claim breeders are encourage to replenish stock from the wild is simply not true.

In general these pages seem to go out of their way to discourage keeping any animals other than dogs and cats. For instance, this quote about why fish suffer captivity, thrown in among more reasonable and true statements....

Fish Can Speak, Make Tools, and Think
Fish have cognitive abilities that equal and sometimes surpass those of nonhuman primates. They can recognize individuals, use tools, and maintain complex social relationships.(9)9) Culum Brown, Not Just a Pretty Face, New Scientist, 12 Jun. 2004

Use Tools???
This I would love to see! if its even in the vaguest sense true its fascinating, but its a poor argument for not keeping them and frankly, im finding their "pets" policys are rather overdone. If they just stated facts alone, like how marine fish are caught using cyanide etc, then ok. But to claim almost human attributes for a goldfish (anthropmorphising) does no good for their credibility at all.

Im beginning to see why folk dismiss anything they say out of hand, to be so extreme about the cause, in this way, does them little justice, nor the animals they seek to protect.

An interesting read anyway Anok, thankyou for your time and the links!

[edit on 9-12-2004 by instar]

IBM

posted on Dec, 9 2004 @ 05:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by IBM

I actually became more hungry by looking at that website. I now have a craving for a double cheeseburger with fries now. MMMM beef. Its whats for dinner.

posted on Dec, 9 2004 @ 06:53 AM
link   
The homeless look really good in fur and this should definitely improve their self esteem. Thank you PETA. With all the furry people living under the bridge, I wonder if there will be more bigfoot sightings.

posted on Dec, 9 2004 @ 06:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by groingrinder
The homeless look really good in fur and this should definitely improve their self esteem. Thank you PETA. With all the furry people living under the bridge, I wonder if there will be more bigfoot sightings.

Oh come now Groingrinder, surely you dont mean to tell me folk have seen bigfoot pushing a shopping cart!

posted on Dec, 9 2004 @ 07:16 AM
link   
You pretty much hit it right on when addressing the initial point (or non-point) of this thread.

posted on Dec, 9 2004 @ 07:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by IBM

Originally posted by IBM
Animals are made by god to be eaten and and worn for warmth, mmmmmmm.

Actually that's not entirely true and many think that the reason man lived so long in the earlier biblical times were because meat wasn't eaten at that time....meat is actually fairly bad for you...but, you without knowing it, hit the nail right on the head, "eaten and and worn for warmth" both of them...not just killed to wear the skin...which is a completely non necessary in today's time...I can't figure out if your trying to b funny, ignorant or both. You seem to be trying to "bother" someone or shock someone. No one here said you shouldn't eat meat....so what's your deal? We said that animals should not be killed only for their skin...a very all around logical thought process. No one hear said you can't have your hamburgers. No one here said they just love PETA......it's sort like some nut job that always has to say "PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals....whenever the name is mentioned as if they are the first ones to ever say it and it and it's the first time anyone has heard it....what point are you trying to make here...I'm not seeing one. Now, I understand that when it comes to compassion and understanding of this type of subject, one can not go past the thought process one has....you can only understand it to level capable of.....
So this is as far as I am going to try and explian this to those that are lost on the understanding of it...it would just go on forever back and forth....

posted on Dec, 9 2004 @ 02:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by IBM

Originally posted by IBM

I actually became more hungry by looking at that website. I now have a craving for a double cheeseburger with fries now. MMMM beef. Its whats for dinner.

Well I'm glad I could be of help to ya!
You obviously just don't get it.
Along with a lot of other ppl. We live in a world where (especialy the USA) everybody thinks only they matter.
Does it make you feel tough and manly to say stuff like that?

Young man: "Er, no I wouldn't give up meat"
Interviewer: "And if 30 million ppl a year are dying of hunger or hunger related deseases"
YM: "Nar i still wouldn't give up meat"
While ppl starve elswhere 9 tenth of the grain grown in the United States is fed to animals so that we can eat meat. The result is that we feed pigs better than most 3rd world countries feed people.
Old lady: "A lot of them should get enought food shouldn't they? What do they spend their money on"
Young girl: "If they starve they starve, it's up to them. It's where they put themselves isn't it?"

Whats this forums moto? ...OH yeah Deny Ignorance!

posted on Dec, 9 2004 @ 02:23 PM
link   
While I agree with a lot of what you say ANOK, the fact that people eat meat hardly begins to explain world hunger.

The major cause of world hunger is oopression. How many crates of food have we sent to 3rd world countries which has rotted on the docks because some little piece of crap dictator wanted to use it as leverage?

While I agree we could all do with eating less meat among other unhealthy things in our diets, lets not go overboard.

BTW, from this discussion, I have personally vowed to eat less meat and more veggies both for the good of animals and for the good of my health. I have found a source for farm fresh eggs which does not support the terrible conditions at larger farms. It may not cure the problem but at least its not hurting it as much as it used to.

posted on Dec, 9 2004 @ 02:31 PM
link   
"Now the Spirit speaketh expressly, that in the latter times some shall depart from the faith, giving heed to seducing spirits, and doctrines of devils; Speaking lies in hypocrisy: having their conscience seared with a hot iron; Forbidding to marry, and commanding to abstain from meats, which God hath created to be received with thanksgiving of them which believe and know the truth. For every creature of God is good, and nothing to be refused, if it be received with thanksgiving: For it is sanctified by the word of God and prayer." ( l Timothy 4:1-5)

I thought it prudent to this discussion.

Nox

posted on Dec, 9 2004 @ 02:42 PM
link   
Conservative Wisdom:
Solve world hunger by feeding the poor to the rich.

Liberal Wisdom:
Solve world hunger by feeding the rich to the poor.

posted on Dec, 9 2004 @ 02:44 PM
link   
a) I'm from a country where furs have been used for ages to wear during the winter time, and it's nice to have them when it's cold. I don't see my ansestors as immoral for bundling up in a fox fur coat.

b) I think that caring too much about PETA issues when we have a few full blown wars, genocides and other pesky problem at hand, is a little stupid. How about we take care of our own species first.

c) John the Baptist was wearing sheep skins or something like that, and I'm sure he was the most PC person on the planet

d) I'm pretty sure they wear furs in Tibet, and nobody can call Buddhists bloodthirsty

e) There are PETA nuts who would splash paint on you in the street, for wearing a fur coat. Now imagine how much fun the poor homeless people (those given furcoats) will have

All this anti-fur bull is coming from the same source as new age crystals, i.e. growing up in an affluent society and having too much time on hands.

Please stop the massacre in Sudan first, then we discuss other issues.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join