It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why Do You Use A Tablet?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 02:35 AM
link   
My wife has Samsung galaxy tab 3 as well as an Acer Aspire S3 ultrabook i5. I use the Galaxy tab to take to work and watch TV shows its great for that. The Acer Aspire is just great for everything apart from gaming, its small extremely light and very thin, a nice competitor to MacBook air.

The wife used the tablet allot while the Acer aspire was broken but now that's fixed she uses the galaxy tab for Simpsons tapped out only

I don't like apple stuff the connectivity is a bag of sh*te, at least with the Samsung galaxy i can use micro SD cards with music, movies and TV shows and other content straight from my desktop PC.

Apple seem to tie all that stuff up in iTunes so you have to pay for everything you put on an iPad unless you jail break, but whats the point in having to jail break something just to put stuff on and by pass iTunes ??. Apple is so overrated. Samsung and Android are so much better IMO.
edit on 6/10/14 by Ezappa because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 03:58 AM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

Also, the iPad works on youtube soooo well, and for some reason, I can make vids embed much easier with this device than with my laptop, despite doing pretty much the same process with both. I have no idea why.

the ipad (which belongs to my GF) drives me insane using youtube as half the songs i like to listen will not play on the ipad as it tell s me this device is not compatible or some crap like that....

to the OP....

i hate reading from a screen i much prefer a book..........my phone takes great photos and is very portable ..:......i mainly use my laptop when surfing the net because i like the portability of it...i have a beast of desktop that i only use for gaming as it is too noisy and uses too much power for normal use,and you cannot beat the desktop for online FPS games like battlefield mine has 16 gig ram with a high end graphics card and of course a big screen....

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 04:13 AM
link   
In my first semester of Law, I lugged around the same high-end (ie: heavy) laptop I used in my undergrad (CompSci) degree since that worked for me in the past. Then I realised I was lugging around heaps of hard-copies of legislation and decisions too; they could fit much nicer in an electronic format, so I put them on my laptop. The problem was my laptop only has one screen and switching between Reader and Word was getting a bit annoying.

I noticed the younger students all had these tablet things and not only could they be used as a reader, they seemed to be a lot easier for taking notes on than typing them out. So I purchased a Note 10.1 and now I dont need to take my laptop, pages of legislation, or a lecture pad to school; I just take my tablet.

I hardly use it outside of uni, I tried some games on it and thought "I have an xbox and a PS3, why am I playing this S#?". I put some apps on it but really for me its just a digital lecture pad and ebook reader.

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 04:20 AM
link   
a reply to: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

What I mean is, that creating and posting video using the iPad is easier and more reliable than trying to achieve the same result using a webcam and a PC. Also, my laptop, for some reason that I cannot fathom, does not like trying to embed video into ATS posts from youtube, or indeed any other video service. The iPad however, in my experience, has no such problem.

Furthermore, the process of getting ones created videos from the iPad to the net, is far simpler than getting video from ones compact camera to the net. For example... If I shoot a video on the iPad, I can select it from the camera roll, hit the youtube button which comes up, and presto amazo, there it goes, straight to the net. No wires, no SD card adaptor required. Getting video from my compact camera to the net, however, requires the removal of the memory card from the camera, connecting it via an adaptor to the laptops USB port, the messing about with files and folders on the laptop, and it just takes an awful lot longer.

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 04:24 AM
link   

fair call i cannot argue with that....in fact now i think about it is much easier to send photos and vids from my iphone via email...no uploading and messing around with files

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 04:33 AM
link   
a reply to: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

Oh yeah, the ability to shoot visual media straight from the pad to the email recipient is a damned handy feature as well. I use that feature on the job, and have used it to get in touch with our local constabulary with video documentation of vandalism, and even used it to collect and send what amounted to a crime scene record of a theft, to our local police contact.

Its portability means that I can also take written notes on the job, that do not need annotating from a hard copy note book. They also can just be sent as an email to my hotmail address, and then saved as a file on the main computer at the store.

I would say that all it's best features are the ones which come as standard, rather than being downloadable apps. I have not got access to the App Store, mostly because none of us can remember the damned Apple ID for the thing, and all I would buy would be the LCARS command system (from Star Trek) anyway, which would have no purpose other than badassery!

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 08:21 AM
link   
I don't own one. My wife does. A nook, that she only uses for reading. she hates surfing with it.

I think most folks who use a tablet either find a nifty convenience for it, bought it and make themselves use it instead of admitting it was a bad purchase, or make a tablet purchase because it is less expensive than a pc.

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 08:58 AM
link   
For me it it is just a small lightweight means of surfing on a screen big enough to view what is there without constantly resizing versus a smart phone. But its secondary duty is to be a backup point of internet by being a mobile hotspot.

edit on 6-10-2014 by Ahabstar because: to fix an auto incorrect...pfft technology

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 09:02 AM
link   
a reply to: Domo1

use a 7 inche samsung and i love it for reading and putting in my pocket...i can use it anywhere with all the wifi spots and it fits in a pocket. also if i lose it or it breaks from moving around im not out that much money

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 09:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: Ahabstar
But it's secondary duty is to be a backup point of internet by being a mobile hotspot.

Then there's that.

I used to have a blackberry curve that did that for me. Back in the day, getting dial up speeds from that kind of connection wasn't really so bad.

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 09:09 AM
link   
I adore reading on my phone. To the point where actual books are odd at first. Epub, mobi... I go through phones and tablets very quickly. My kids don't mind my recycling to them. I almost never turn on my laptop.

When I do it's to move movies and books I downloaded on my phone over. I seriously need 128 G SD card!

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 09:14 AM
link   
a reply to: Iamthatbish

See, I read dry technical things from a computer screen without any problem at all, but for works of fiction and the like, actual creative writings, I have to have paper under my fingers, pages to turn, print to smell, a cover to spy across the room, a thick volume to snatch up when boredom overcomes me.

There is something irreplaceable about actual books, that will never be properly supplanted by a tablet, in my opinion at least.

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 09:19 AM
link   

I get migraines terribly. Its the best thing ever to change the screen to colors and brightness that don't bother my head. For studying, I need paper. For pleasure reading I'm all about the phone.

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 09:34 AM
link   
i have a question.

why buy something without a keyboard(a tablet) only to purchase a keyboard to go with it to make typing easier?
i dont understand

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 09:36 AM
link   
a reply to: CardiffGiant

I find typing on the iPad very easy. I can nearly touch type with it, which is pretty impressive considering the fact that it has no actual keys!

I have not had to purchase a secondary keyboard therefore.

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 09:37 AM
link   
I mostly use a desk top at home since it is easier for me to sit at my desk when working from home.

When I travel I take my Surface since it does both and is easy to use on aircraft.

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 09:41 AM
link   

For watching Netflix and youtube on the go.

Korg.

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 09:42 AM
link   

I use my tablet 10" to read books, essentially because its similar in size and weight to a hard back book, I also use it as a media device when on public transport or in a car.

As for my 7" I generally use that to in conjunction with MAME to play old arcade games, again size is a defining factor and 7" is easily held.
I also use a 5.5" phone for most other things including Facebook and ATS.

I like my tech.

edit on 6-10-2014 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 09:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: TrueBrit

I find typing on the iPad very easy. I can nearly touch type with it, which is pretty impressive considering the fact that it has no actual keys!

I have not had to purchase a secondary keyboard therefore.

a lot of people do though. i see people at the library all the time with their tablet on a stand with a keyboard plugged into it.

they could have bought a netbook

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 09:58 AM
link   

You cant get netbooks anymore. The IT industry did not like selling cheap laptops so manufacturers unilaterally stopped making them. instead of putting an i3 processor in netbooks the IT industry wanted to re-market laptops as ultrabooks as they were also envious of Apple's Mac air.

Tablets have their place for travelling on the train or at work for certain functions but ultrabooks start up so much quicker now and battery life is much longer that the point of a tablet is a lot less than it was 3 years ago.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join