It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why Do You Use A Tablet?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 10:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: ispyed
a reply to: CardiffGiant

You cant get netbooks anymore.

thats strange. i saw a few different types at bestbuy yesterday

www.bestbuy.com... =buyingOptionsk

^^netbook

edit on 6-10-2014 by CardiffGiant because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 10:29 AM
link   

They can't unplug the keyboard and leave it at home if they feel that they are not going to need it. Even if they are, like your example of those working at the library, they can leave the keyboard stored away when not in use.

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 10:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: daskakik

They can't unplug the keyboard and leave it at home if they feel that they are not going to need it. Even if they are, like your example of those working at the library, they can leave the keyboard stored away when not in use.

i get it and i am not trying to turn this into any sort of debate.
some people just like certain gadgets. i know i buy stuff all the time that i dont NEED.
sure, you can unplug it and leave it and take only the tablet but for that matter you can close the netbook...
some full on laptops have full on screens. 11 inches or whatever.
a netbook/small laptop seems just as portable as a tablet. plus the new laptops have touch screens as well.

there is obviously a market for them because they fly off the shelves like hot cakes.

ive had a couple tablets. a couple crappy android deals that cost a hundo. i had a dell streak that i liked and used quite a bit for about a month but it got old.

these days the new iphone and galaxy and im sure others have huge ass screens on them. i see people walking around with these phones clipped to their belt and theyre huge. looks super uncomfortable...
but hey, i use a $5 flip i got at target

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 12:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: CardiffGiant

originally posted by: ispyed

You cant get netbooks anymore.

thats strange. i saw a few different types at bestbuy yesterday

www.bestbuy.com... =buyingOptionsk

^^netbook

"netbook"? What is this, 2005?

Just kidding, I see no issue with tablets though, we use ours all the time, decent battery life, just keep it by the sofa to look up actors names, check emails, bit of shopping, look up pictures of ..um. cats,..how much typing do you need to do that stuff? Not much. Sure if I ever plan to write a novel, graphic design or code ill use a PC with mouse n keyboard. Amazingly enough there's room in our world for both to exist together.

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 12:29 PM
link   
Lighter than a laptop to lug around. Larger screen than a phone. And with Skype calling, I don't even need my phone most of the time.

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 12:35 PM
link   
a reply to: Domo1

Consumption. That's all they're good for. Remember in the 90's and early 00's? Remember those little PDA's and Handheld Personal Computers that ran Windows CE? Those were business devices, you could connect to the net, check email, write documents on the go as they had MS Office CE (forget the real name) installed. Thanks to the keyboard on many of these devices, (such as the Psion 5MX, Vadem Clio / Sharp Tripad, and others like the NEC MobilePro line) you could type out documents at nearly the same speed as a bulky laptop.

I've seen a shift in society, and the transition from creation devices (like the above business computers) towards consume only tablets (i.e., browse the web, watch NetFlix, play games, chat...) shows where we are going.

Some people do use their tablets like the PDA's of old, with external keyboards and blah-blah-blah... I have one, I'm not exempt. I use it primarily as a tool to show off past graphical work and photography. At times if I'm bored and truly have nothing better to do, I play a game of Hill Climb Racing.

I don't know, it's just what I think. And yes, I still have my HPC's and PDA's of the 90's that get used regularly.

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 12:37 PM
link   
a reply to: Domo1

I have an iPad...

Honestly, the other day it "showed up" when we were cleaning up my place. We'd known we'd misplaced it, but we didn't know where (it was under the bed). We hadn't seen it in two months.

That's about how often we use our iPad.

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 12:50 PM
link   
a reply to: doorhandle

my wife still clings to her ca 2002 netbook. It runs xp. She browses with chrome because anything else will bog it down. It has started restarting itself everynow and then (i presume a power supply dying). It can't always browse FB for her, which actually makes us both happy as FB is a wasteland of stupidity that just makes her angry. watching videos is spotty for her, and she can't even try to load anything in HD on YouTube. The speakers should be called "whispers" instead. In short: it is a piece of junk that I just can't get her to get rid of. We bought it used 4 years ago, and she has put the hours on it since then herself.

I went looking for a solid state netbook on Dell for her. Light enough to fold up and stick in her purse, just like a tablet. But running a full version of windows, and have full processing capability. Unfortunately, it appears that there is no such animal on the Dell site (at least, not in the areas I am searching...she is the furthest thing from a power user you will see, and doesnt' want me buying her a replacement that isn't on the clearance shelf).

I am thinking that if i get a decent deal on her replacement, ill buy me an Alienware laptop. I am wanting to do some billboard design stuff, but my current PC doesn't have the processing power to handle files that large.

If i ever get a tablet, it will be only in response to increase in travel. Where the larger screen makes a more attractive device for me.

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 12:58 PM
link   
I love my ipad because I can throw it in my purse. That's not happening with a laptop. Also,it connects to the wireless phone LTE network for only $10 per month.

My phone is great on the go, but the ipad it what I turn to when I want to use it for longer periods of time. The eyes are not what they used to be....

I really do need a lightweight ipad air for even better portability, but I'm still holding on to my larger and heavier ipad from several years ago. In a ladies' purse, size really does matter. And in this case, SMALLER is better...
edit on 6-10-2014 by GeorgiaGirl because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 01:01 PM
link   
a reply to: Auricom

i remember those...i had a pda...black and white screen. had to use a stylus. i thought those were going to take off but them the first smart phones hit and bye bye pda.
i remember when the blackberry first came out.
i had a trio 650....

now theyre basically bricks

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 01:05 PM
link   

for that matter you can close the netbook...

But you can't use it when it's closed.

a netbook/small laptop seems just as portable as a tablet. plus the new laptops have touch screens as well.

I think that just flips your question around.

these days the new iphone and galaxy and im sure others have huge ass screens on them. i see people walking around with these phones clipped to their belt and theyre huge. looks super uncomfortable...
but hey, i use a $5 flip i got at target

I took a netbook on a week long trip, a while back, and halfway through the trip it stopped feeling all that portable.

90% of the time I just needed access to e-mail and 10% it was used to actually get work done. So 90% of the time it was too big for what I needed and 10% of the time it was a bit small. After that I could see where a tablet would have been just as bad 10% of the time but would have been a lot better for 90% of that trip.

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 01:05 PM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

what up you fat hairy texan...ha

have you looked at the chromebooks? i have issues with google and some of their tactics but i do like these chromebooks.
i had one but i sold it.

might be what you are looking for.....sold state drives. all app based. it runs chrome os but let me tell you that little bastard is fast.
start up time is fast. i never had any problems with it....

something like this

www.bestbuy.com... romebook&cp=1&lp=2

might be right for her

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 01:06 PM
link   

But you can't use it when it's closed.

thats why you open it. take .3 seconds
you cant use a tablet when it is off

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 01:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: eisegesis
I can also make fire with two sticks to prove I still have a primitive side.

Remember, you have to use your tablet sideways rather than flat when you pound tents stakes into the ground, they last longer that way.

Just a bit of tech savvy advice from one Neanderthal to another.

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 01:10 PM
link   

thats why you open it. take .3 seconds
you cant use a tablet when it is off

Then it becomes uncomfortable to use without somewhwere to place it.

You sure you are not trying to turn this into a debate?

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 01:17 PM
link   
How often i use tablet? almost never.

I only used tablet once... when i went camping.

Rest of the time, it collects dust in my room.

However, when kids hog TV and computer, i seen parents use Tablet.

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 01:25 PM
link   
I use a tablet so can browse ATS wherever I am. I need my daily fix of this wonderful sight to keep my curiosity satisfied and my imagination stoked.

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 01:43 PM
link   

You sure you are not trying to turn this into a debate?

not at all.
just making a point.
you?

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 01:49 PM
link   

not at all.
just making a point.
you?

You asked a question and I, as an unsatisfied netbook user, offered my 2 cents as to why I could see people opting for a tablet. You then went on to question that, so it seems like you want to go further than just making a point.

Hey, you don't have a place for them, it's fine. That doesn't mean that other people don't have needs that are somewhere between a phone and a netbook.

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 02:15 PM
link   
a reply to: daskakik

thats great
now drop it

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join