It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why Do You Use A Tablet?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 02:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: CardiffGiant
thats great
now drop it

Why? It's a valid point and addresses both your question and the OP's.

edit on 6-10-2014 by daskakik because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 02:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: daskakik

Why? It's a valid point and addresses both your question and the OP's.

because you asked if i was trying to debate..im not. i dont want to.
i made a point. you made a point. so, now it can be dropped...correct?

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 02:33 PM
link   
a reply to: CardiffGiant
I can stop replying to you but it is the subject of the thread.

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 02:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: Auricom
a reply to: Domo1

Consumption. That's all they're good for.

Not true.

Perhaps for many, but I'm a musician and I have some musical apps I use on the iPad. It also serves as a Midi controller for far more sophisticated audio and music programs on my PC. Using a mouse only allows 1 parameter at a time to be changed on my music software, but a multi-touch device enables me to control a lot more simultaneously. An example is simulating a mixing desk on a PC - a tablet allows one or control volume, eq, etc much more easily than with a mouse.

It's a niche market, but a very important one for musicians.
edit on 6-10-2014 by cuckooold because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 03:36 PM
link   
a reply to: daskakik

No offense you two, but y'all sound like my family when it comes to Microsoft and Apple. I've always thought that both have their respective advantages and disadvantages.

Though in my opinion, Apple users come off as quite smug, quite often. Even though most really don't know what they are talking about. But they own a Apple.

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 03:47 PM
link   
a reply to: TDawgRex

Reminds me of the Star Tek episode with the 2 guys trying to kill each other because one was white on the left side and black on the right and the other was black on the left and white on the right. LOL

At least we have a choice. I have multiple laptops, an IPad and a Windows tablet....They all serve a purpose.

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 03:56 PM
link   
a reply to: Sparky63

I don't see either of those. I never said one was better than the other. Just that I could see why some people would opt for a tablet/keyboard combo instead of a netbook.

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 03:58 PM
link   
I just use mine for chilin and checking news feeds and winding down.

I don't use it to work with. For instance, I can't type on it. Not like I can from a PC with full size keyboard and I can't connect my printer, speakers, scanner and all that. So it's handy, but not usable for work. I guess I could get a keyboard and connect to it, but then it's much more awkward than a laptop.

For me it has it's uses but I wouldn't ever use it for my main work. I need to be able to type and pound the keyboard and multitask and have multiple spreadsheets and browser tabs open, while printing and all that.

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 04:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: daskakik
a reply to: Sparky63

I don't see either of those. I never said one was better than the other. Just that I could see why some people would opt for a tablet/keyboard combo instead of a netbook.

But yet, the debate is still there.

It all boils down to a consumers choice, don't it?

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 04:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: TDawgRex
But yet, the debate is still there.

It all boils down to a consumers choice, don't it?

The question was "why buy something without a keyboard(a tablet) only to purchase a keyboard to go with it to make typing easier?"

Followed up by the observation "they could have bought a netbook".

Amazing made a good point above, a full size keyboard. That is one of the things that I didn't like about the netbook I used. I have also seen people who connect a mouse to their laptop/netbook because they don't like using a touchpad.

I was just answering the question.
edit on 6-10-2014 by daskakik because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 04:28 PM
link   
a reply to: amazing

the worst part about most keyboards for a tablet is that they don't feel right.

Membrane keyboards are the bane to anyone who types more than 20 words a minute.

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 04:46 PM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

I just remembered a friend of my brother-in-law who had a relative send him a laptop from the US. It had an english keyboard so he would carry the laptop and a full size usb latin american keyboard in his backpack. They told him that he could get a spanish keyboard for the laptop but he said, forget that, it was more expensive and didn't compare to a real keyboard.

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 04:53 PM
link   
a reply to: Domo1

Have you ever tried using a laptop on the john?

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 09:18 PM
link   
my setup is a very nice PC, a very nice laptop (Sony Vaio with European spec aRGB display) a fantastic Lumia 925, and an original Surface RT.

Now, I haven't seen my surface for best part of a year - because my mother decided to own it! She loves it.

But, I'm totally committed to MS - simply because their stuff works. And I like it too!!!
edit on 6-10-2014 by MarsIsRed because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 09:31 PM
link   
Weapon of choice, IPad Air
Reserve unit... Google Nexus 7 #2

Use.. Evernote, Maps, Sirius Sat Radio, Movies, NFL Gp, Apple TV streaming, ATS, Twitter, Kindel, Audible, Tunein Radio, the Internet and stuff, Podcasts, Games , Nest, wireless computer keyboard, splashtop, Twitter, At Bat, magazines and much much more

Why? Convinience and when used with Apple TV it makes a great media tool

ETA . I love that there is no external keyboard

edit on 6-10-2014 by Max_TO because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 02:20 PM
link   

"I thought they were going to take off", um... What? They did take off. In fact, they were around up until 2007 when Hewlett Packard finally killed off their two last business and personal models.

They started off with a rather simplistic gray scale screen and ended up with relatively high quality TFT color displays. They went from serial communication only to bluetooth and wifi enabled communication. Smartphones are just the next step in a PDA.

The Apple iPhone is nothing more than a modern Newton with a phone built in. PDA's haven't gone, they've evolved. So has the way we use them. We're no longer a society of creators, but rather a society of consumers.

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 02:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan
a reply to: amazing

the worst part about most keyboards for a tablet is that they don't feel right.

Membrane keyboards are the bane to anyone who types more than 20 words a minute.

Agreed. When I'm working I can hammer out 45 -55 words per minute and then I'm cutting and pasting and printing and deleting and working everything. I've tried a couple of the Ipad and they just don't cut it.

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 02:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: Auricom
We're no longer a society of creators, but rather a society of consumers.

Actually that is the way it has always been. Common people didn't have recording or A/V studios. They had radios, televisions and went to the movies.

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 11:52 PM
link   
a reply to: daskakik

You make a point, however technology has become so cheap and prevalent that it's detrimental to society. At least that's what I see in Europe.

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 12:38 AM
link   
a reply to: Auricom

For the majority of end users out there, all they need is a simple to operate fully portable device for reading emails, browsing, skyping/reading ebooks etc and a tablet fits their need although a bit clumsy and limited.

For more intense use like writing/developing/debugging software, processing audio/video, laboratory apps and even 'gaming' something more substantial like a full desktop system with vast amounts of fast access storage plus large hi definition displays will always be the requirement at least for the forseeable future.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join