It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bugging out in the UK. I can't see how it's possible.

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 09:28 AM
link   
a reply to: Korg Trinity

That's why I would stay in the UK, unless there would be none of it left.

I bloody hate being warm, central heating is a bane of my existence. I would much rather be allowed to establish a seasonal biorhythm without its interference, but I have not had that option. As a result I am always too hot in our household in winter.

I was born to a frozen morning, have always preferred winter to summer and I have experienced cold temperatures enough that I feel sure I could put up with it an awful lot better than most.

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 09:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: andy06shake

Long as the scenario did not involve flooding I would suggest going underground, plenty of disused mine shafts and cave systems that are devoid of people. Safety issues would be a concern but let's face it , should it all go breasts up safety is where you find it I imagine.

I can imagine that as a short term solution, but I highly suspect that if the fit rally did hit the shan, you would need to be mobile. Finding a place to hide is one thing... but sustaining yourself and being able to defend it is something else entirely.

Then there are the skills.... if you don't know how to get clean water / food and adequate shelter along with fuel and pwer... you are lost.

I recommend anyone reading this watching this....

The first two seasons are available on Netflix too...

Yes they are in the states, but the principles are the same...

Korg.

edit on 6-10-2014 by Korg Trinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 09:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: TrueBrit

That's why I would stay in the UK, unless there would be none of it left.

I bloody hate being warm, central heating is a bane of my existence. I would much rather be allowed to establish a seasonal biorhythm without its interference, but I have not had that option. As a result I am always too hot in our household in winter.

I was born to a frozen morning, have always preferred winter to summer and I have experienced cold temperatures enough that I feel sure I could put up with it an awful lot better than most.

Each to their own I guess

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 09:45 AM
link   

I am having a good look about on google maps for a few possible locations.

I am trying to find somewhere that is close to rivers and lakes for fish, and lots of trees for wood , shelter and seclusion.

I am also factoring in farms and we have a lot of estates not too far way that have pheasant shoots so plenty of dumb wildlife and fodder crops.

No natural springs that I have found yet.

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 09:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: nonspecific

I am having a good look about on google maps for a few possible locations.

I am trying to find somewhere that is close to rivers and lakes for fish, and lots of trees for wood , shelter and seclusion.

I am also factoring in farms and we have a lot of estates not too far way that have pheasant shoots so plenty of dumb wildlife and fodder crops.

No natural springs that I have found yet.

Just a quick look on google mapps and I would be heading HERE

If you want to stay in the uk I would go HERE

Korg.

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 10:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: nonspecific

originally posted by: ShayneJUK
For what its worth i have a plan for me and mine if things go south.

i know the location of several shelter points transport etc
and i will be acquiring a yacht and heading off shore
to a little place i know

Glad to hear it but may I ask if you have a timescale for getting there roughly.

I ask this because I did the maths and I can not make it worthwhile given living a "Normal" life.
I will elaborate if needed. and appriciate your input.

Time scale is flexible from hours to days depending on the cause of the disaster
e.g. if it were say an Ebola outbreak there would not be to much need to rush
i would give time to see if the gov can get a handle on it or not being some tens of miles from any major
population centre helps.
but if it were a nuclear attack or EMP event or solar flare me and my famley can be on the move immediately
if need really does be.
and somewhat related to my location in a rural village some 60 miles west of London
which means there is some time to prepare and focus before getting overrun by
masses trying to escape the city and larger towns to my east.
my escape route is cross country to the west via a number of old abandoned
cold war royal observer corps posts which "still" provide secure underground
shelter in places 99% of the population either never knew about or are long forgotten
and give a nice relatively safe way for a small party travelling light to "island hop"
just about anywhere in the UK however for me this means heading for a marina
again being flexible and knowing where they all are. i can appropriate a suitable
craft and acquire the necessary supply's from the local area then put to sea.

i have training in survival and experience in handling boats both in and off shore
my destination again depends on the nature of the disaster.
and again with the flexible hopping technique i can adapt direction and destinations
to avoid problems or unwanted encounters.

and the benefits of living in a country location means i know where i can acquire
all the initial kit i don't already have including weapons and fuel.
fact the only risky thing about here is the nuclear facility 21 miles to my SSE
but were it to be a target i am thanks to distance and terrain clear of the blast radius
of all current warheads. and the nearest ROC shelter is less than 3 miles away
with MY padlock on the hatch

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 10:27 AM
link   
some observations.

Scotland is the LAST place i would go. as has been said firstly there are quite a lot of Scots already there!

and to get to it means crossing the central belt which means the corridor between Glasgow and Edinburgh
which may be full of refugees already and if this were due to a first strike well the naval ports on the Clyde
mean that rather a lot of the central belt will be a smoking hole in the ground anyway.
and the far north of Scotland is an awesome place to visit but surviving off the land there not so much
sparse wildlife harsh weather and billions of midges would make that a miserable and probably terminal
experience for all but the hardest of hard bastards.

Dartmoor and Wales would be "almost" as poor in the long term and your chances of unpleasant
encounters with other refugees or locals is higher too.

depending on the scenario and time of year i would be heading to either the Scilly/Channel isles then Gibraltar, the Azores, the Canaries, Spain/Portugal the US or Canada

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 02:59 PM
link   
a reply to: ShayneJUK

Yeah, a bug-out plan that involves long-distance travel is one of the least likely to pull off - depending on the scenario - unless you "bug out" before the precipitating event, travel could be impossible (roads/railways filled with people who have a similar idea), possibly lack of fuel, and possible break-down of law - you might well run into people - panicky mobs or lethal predators - who'll take your car/transportation, your gas, your food, your life. And, imagine you're in Scotland, and a pandemic or other event sends a couple of million hungry and possibly contagious Brits your way - I imagine I'd barricade those borders, if I were a Scot.

Under most scenarios, travel will expose you to much greater risk than sheltering in-place. I'd plan for that as "plan A", with basic food, water, sanitation, and and other supplies on-hand that will let you survive without needing to leave for awhile. Most modern societies have massive food distribution networks, that deliver fresh food to millions of people a day. If things really did HTF, and that network were crippled - it would be carnage in days or weeks - as food ran out, you'd have millions of desperate people doing anything to survive.

For plan B, where you have to flee the city, a motorcycle or a bicycle might be the only way to get out - a land-rover with a cycle-carrier might be good. But a road bicycle with tubeless tires could be really good to have on-hand - able to travel quickly and quietly and around any traffic congestion.

For any prolonged SHTF scenario, you'll need a community to survive. If possible, you'll want that identified in advance. For example, I have a number of family members that live in the country who have plenty of hunting and fishing available, moderate weather, self-sufficient living, (well water, fruit orchards, chickens, etc), and well off the beaten track. If feasible, that would be my ultimate goal.

Simply striking out for an unknown shore, alone, like "I'll head to Scotland - and hopefully I'll find a loch with some fish in it" - sounds like certain death to me, the only question would be whether death comes due to human predators, exposure, or starvation.

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 03:02 PM
link   

a reply to: nonspecific

You could head towards the mountains in the North of Scotland, but you would need to go prepared and know what you were doing because people die in the area, that being said there is no one else for miles around in some places.

That is where i live andy right near the hills and it would surprise you how many people have had that idea , some people are living there now they are just hard to spot normally ,army helicopters were rounding them up last year when they were doing the yearly exercises around the area , Friends of mine who own land were telling me over 100 people were living this way , in the county i live in there are only 70 people per square km but them there hills are not as barren as you would think .
edit on 6/10/2014 by douglas5 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 03:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: douglas5

You could head towards the mountains in the North of Scotland, but you would need to go prepared and know what you were doing because people die in the area, that being said there is no one else for miles around in some places.

That is where i live andy right near the hills and it would surprise you how many people have had that idea , some people are living there now they are just hard to spot normally ,army helicopters were rounding them up last year when they were doing the yearly exercises around the area , Friends of mine who own land were telling me over 100 people were living this way , in the county i live in there are only 70 people per square km but them there hills are not as barren as you would think .

Scotland is a good choice if you have conections as is any rural location.

I have a few friends up there some of them chipping about around a protest camp near a certain nuclear facility.

I have never had the time to go and support the cause so would never turn up in a crisis asking where the toilets where and what we were having for dinner because the shfhtf.

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 03:31 PM
link   
I have wild camped in the North York Moors, the Yorkshire Dales, the Brecon Beacons, Snowdonia, parts of Scotland and the Peak District. There are parts of the UK that are unpopulated and remote and where you could go to ground if you knew what you were doing.

Regards

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 03:40 PM
link   

That was the reason i moved back home 4 years ago . plenty fishing ,shooting ,running water if the brown stuff hits , i have 6 acres just enough to get by and i know everyone in a 50+ mile radius very little happens we do not know about here

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 03:49 PM
link   
I now know why you Johnnie Englanders wanted to keep us part of the UK, So you wouldn't be held up at passport control if TSHTF.

Trust me, if TSHTF the Highlands is the last place you want to go...It gets bloody cold up therefrom around September till april. Better off staying where you are and taking over a tower block...High ground. or head for the Kielder Forest.

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 03:58 PM
link   
a reply to: Soloprotocol

Last night on the television it was saying Skye had 115 mph winds , and when i was at the garage at 5 pm it looked like it was trying to snow , there is snow on the Cairngorms so it will be down with me soon , something tells me we are going to have a bloody cold one this year .

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 05:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: douglas5

Last night on the television it was saying Skye had 115 mph winds , and when i was at the garage at 5 pm it looked like it was trying to snow , there is snow on the Cairngorms so it will be down with me soon , something tells me we are going to have a bloody cold one this year .

Cant complain, it's been a hot year....If TSHTF now is not the time to be heading North.

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 05:23 PM
link   

Police were called to Bridlington, East Yorkshire, at about 1pm today after the masonry fell from a building and struck the 61-year-old man's vehicle. Hurricane-force winds of up to 122mph and driving rain caused chaos on the roads and railways today, ruining journeys for thousands of commuters.

going to get cold this year everywhere i think

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 05:59 PM
link   
a reply to: douglas5

I'm from Scotland myself, Glasgow to be precise. I'm actually rather surprised to hear of people living in the mountains, any idea as to there lifestyle or settlements they have occupied? Why did the army move them on?

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 06:04 PM
link   
a reply to: douglas5
I'm 2 stories up half way down a hill, so no chance of being flooded...No Snow to worry about as i'm well prepared. ex snowboarder and avid outdoor guy.
My only worry is i live within that 40 mile radius of Faslane, everything else i can handle. in fact i cant wait for a decent snowfall. Up to my chin wont be deep enough. Love tracking Animals in the Snow.

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 06:08 PM
link   
a reply to: andy06shake

I got a shock myself when i heard about it , they were well dug in around Ben Wyvis area and hard to spot but the army used them as practise i think , my friends have crofts there and i remember a figure of 120 + living la vida loca around the area .

But the local people were worried who they were as some were quite rough looking when they made the weekly run to the shops in the area .

I lived in Falkirk for years and used to work in Glasgow quite a bit

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 06:15 PM
link   

I remember 1977/8 ? with 8 foot drifts of snow and my aunts husband has a photo when he was on the railway of the snow 5 foot above a train they were digging out , when i moved home 4 years ago i opened the car door to minus 20 and thought wtf am i doing

I can remember one day walking along the union canal with the dog tee shirt on and sun glasses on both my parents would not believe it as there was 6 inches of snow with them

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join