It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bugging out in the UK. I can't see how it's possible.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 5 2014 @ 07:23 PM
link   
Yes but Scotland is beyond cold.
a reply to: ThePeaceMaker

posted on Oct, 5 2014 @ 07:30 PM
link   
a reply to: the golden ray

Yes but not to us scots ^^

posted on Oct, 5 2014 @ 07:45 PM
link   
Ex colemines Yorkshire

posted on Oct, 5 2014 @ 07:47 PM
link   
a reply to: nonspecific

Ok...

Moors, mountain ranges, national parks and forests, islands, cave systems, Britain has the whole lot. Because they are not the biggest moors, the tallest mountains, the widest forests, the largest and most interesting islands, or the most extensive caves, they are not as widely discussed or highly thought of in terms of bug out destinations, as are examples of these things in other nations.

And yet, having walked the Brecon Beacons national park fairly comprehensively, as well as the Snowdonia national park, both in Wales, I am pretty confident that one could make ones self fairly damned comfortable in those locations, with the correct mindset, let alone preparation as well.

That's not all either. When you think about the number of abandoned mining buildings in areas like Wales, Yorkshire, and the like, you get a sense of just how many opportunities there are out there for getting away from the madness of the rat race (or burgeoning zombie populations/insane government initiatives, and the like). And you must remember that for all that you are right, the UK is fairly population dense, the thing that is amazing about this country, is that the density you speak of is compressed into vast cities, big towns, and very small villages.

www.bbc.co.uk...

The link above details a study which revealed that more than 90 percent of the landmass of the UK is not built on, that is to say, not covered with either concrete, asphalt, or a house or building of some kind. Granted, as the map near the bottom of the page shows, a great deal of the land is agricultural and divided up, private land for the most part. However, if the crap has hit the fan, then that is not a significant problem when compared with whatever it is that drives people from their homes, and into the hills.

People who live in the UK, mostly live in the towns and the cities. This means that we have an unrealistic impression of the way the land in the UK gets used, which is why it might be surprising to some to know that in actual fact, there are myriad places one could bug out to.

I think my preference would be to commandeer a Second World War era pill box, of which there are a crap ton in Essex, assuming that I had not elected to attempt a massive trek over to the hills and valleys of Wales. That said, the Welsh countryside is one of the most gorgeous places, and contains many great places one could dig in, and remain undisturbed for a very long time.

I think you should re-visit the issue, and take a look at the link I provided. That ought to give you an idea of just how much easier it would be than you think.

posted on Oct, 5 2014 @ 10:06 PM
link   

I hope you can get some positive input in your country.

I'm a 1st Responder-FEMA-Homeland Security in the U.S, and something I learned about bugging out is this:
Consider what is located 20 miles N, 20 S, 20 E and 20 West of your location bugging out from? Town? Ocean? City? Mountain? What?
And if you bugged TO there...other folks from 20 miles in all direction prob will ALSO choose your final spot as theirs too....so...what is 20 miles in all 4 directions from there?

I'm guessing the end result will surprise you about getting somewhere safe and by yourself! Good luck tho!
MS

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 01:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: mysterioustranger

I hope you can get some positive input in your country.

I'm a 1st Responder-FEMA-Homeland Security in the U.S, and something I learned about bugging out is this:
Consider what is located 20 miles N, 20 S, 20 E and 20 West of your location bugging out from? Town? Ocean? City? Mountain? What?
And if you bugged TO there...other folks from 20 miles in all direction prob will ALSO choose your final spot as theirs too....so...what is 20 miles in all 4 directions from there?

I'm guessing the end result will surprise you about getting somewhere safe and by yourself! Good luck tho!
MS

I'm pretty sure I could survive, I have spent about2 of the past 5 years living in a tent.

The main issue I am having is to get out quick you all have to be at home at the same time and not fast asleep in bed. I think that leaves me about 45 hours a week on average.

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 02:29 AM
link   
The thing is the terminology.....don't bug out......bug in.....dig....dig....dig....your house is private...and somewhat secure.....so dig dig dig.......your newly created underground space will be your new environment.... Make sure you make it very concealed and secure....bug in......the new bug out.

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 02:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: plube
The thing is the terminology.....don't bug out......bug in.....dig....dig....dig....your house is private...and somewhat secure.....so dig dig dig.......your newly created underground space will be your new environment.... Make sure you make it very concealed and secure....bug in......the new bug out.

I would love to but its a rented house! I do think bugging in is the preferred option in my case, If its that bad I'M not sure I would want to survive.

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 03:08 AM
link   

Probably been said already, but we are surrounded by the sea. There are thousands of sailing yachts.
Head to the coast then take off. You can make drinking water easily and carry almost a year's worth of food in a reasonable sized boat.

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 03:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: SprocketUK

Probably been said already, but we are surrounded by the sea. There are thousands of sailing yachts.
Head to the coast then take off. You can make drinking water easily and carry almost a year's worth of food in a reasonable sized boat.

thats a good idea but I imagine that would cost around 20-30k which is not an option for me right now.

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 03:46 AM
link   

"Yes you could but for about 7-8 months of the year you would need to be very well prepared."

Buddy im just offering up the where, as to the how, I imagine you would just need to take your chances exiting the citys like the rest of us. I do however agree that the logistics involved in doing so present rather an alarming problem considering just about every one and there dog will most lightly be doing the same thing.

The trick i imagine would be not to do as the other sheeple do!

edit on 6-10-2014 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 03:52 AM
link   
I would raid the local supermarket and cash and carries..... not through the front door like everyone else!

Then I would take possession of a 4x4 and head toward the coast, where I would procure a boat!

Then I would sail to France, where there is more than enough land to get lost in and not have to worry about exposure.

Korg.

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 04:00 AM
link   

Needn't cost anything....

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 08:30 AM
link   
Plus of course those of us who actually live in the wilds of Scotland? We're not exactly going to be welcoming in all of these 'bugging out' city dwellers with open arms.

Resources are not plentiful up here, the people already here could probably ~just~ live off the land. But not if the cities empty and everybody heads for the wilds.

So I suspect you would see a lot of trees felled across roads to block traffic. And, see how far the bugging-out-ers get on foot.

That said, the idea of heading for some of the largely uninhabited islands off the West Coast is a pretty good one. But remember to take desalinisation kit with you. Oh, and fuel. Because none of those islands have any trees, so no wood to burn to keep warm...

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 08:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: Painterz
Plus of course those of us who actually live in the wilds of Scotland? We're not exactly going to be welcoming in all of these 'bugging out' city dwellers with open arms.

Resources are not plentiful up here, the people already here could probably ~just~ live off the land. But not if the cities empty and everybody heads for the wilds.

So I suspect you would see a lot of trees felled across roads to block traffic. And, see how far the bugging-out-ers get on foot.

That said, the idea of heading for some of the largely uninhabited islands off the West Coast is a pretty good one. But remember to take desalinisation kit with you. Oh, and fuel. Because none of those islands have any trees, so no wood to burn to keep warm...

Typical Scottish Separatist view!

Trust me... no one wants to go north... given the harshness of environment. Life will be hard enough as it is without having to worry about nature killing you too!

Korg.

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 08:36 AM
link   
Beans and corn, Beans and corn. It's called survival.

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 08:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: StoutBroux
Beans and corn, Beans and corn. It's called survival.

Made me Chuckle!

Korg.

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 09:13 AM
link   
a reply to: Korg Trinity

Then you are perfectly within your rights to remain south of the border and perish or be controlled by TPTB should any SHTF scenario actually take place. Separatist attitude, dam right. 45% and rising.

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 09:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: andy06shake

Then you are perfectly within your rights to remain south of the border and perish or be controlled by TPTB should any SHTF scenario actually take place. Separatist attitude, dam right. 45% and rising.

I already said I wouldn't stay in the country. I would indeed head south!

You need to find a place where there are as few people as possible and not have to worry about being caught out in the elements.

Given that the power would be down... Scotland and for the matter most of England would be a very grim place to try and keep warm!

Korg.

edit on 6-10-2014 by Korg Trinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 09:26 AM
link   

Long as the scenario did not involve flooding I would suggest going underground, plenty of disused mine shafts and cave systems that are devoid of people. Safety issues would be a concern but let's face it, should it all go breasts up safety is where you find it I imagine.

edit on 6-10-2014 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join