It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bugging out in the UK. I can't see how it's possible.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 5 2014 @ 02:39 PM
link   
Does anyone have a plan for bugging out in the UK.

As the OP states I can not see how it's possible given population density and time constraints.

If there are any UK bug out experts out there I would love some views.

posted on Oct, 5 2014 @ 02:43 PM
link   
a reply to: nonspecific

You could head towards the mountains in the North of Scotland, but you would need to go prepared and know what you were doing because people die in the area, that being said there is no one else for miles around in some places.

edit on 5-10-2014 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 5 2014 @ 02:46 PM
link   

Yup head north .. I recently spent 4 days out in the cairngorm national park in scotland. Every night we slept in a different location. That's where I'm gonna head if things go sideways

posted on Oct, 5 2014 @ 02:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: andy06shake

You could head towards the mountains in the North of Scotland, but you would need to go prepared and know what you were doing because people die in the area, that being said there is no one else for miles around in some places.

Yes you but for about 7-8 months of the year you would need to be very well prepared.

I am only about 10 miles from remote locations but the logistics of getting out quickly with enough resources seems improbable. I would love to have a plan but just cannot see how it's feesable.

posted on Oct, 5 2014 @ 02:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: ThePeaceMaker

Yup head north .. I recently spent 4 days out in the cairngorm national park in scotland. Every night we slept in a different location. That's where I'm gonna head if things go sideways

How quickly could you mobilise though, I can head off for months and have done but not at very short notice, thats the key to it surley?

posted on Oct, 5 2014 @ 02:49 PM
link   
For what its worth i have a plan for me and mine if things go south.

i know the location of several shelter points transport etc
and i will be acquiring a yacht and heading off shore
to a little place i know

posted on Oct, 5 2014 @ 02:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: ShayneJUK
For what its worth i have a plan for me and mine if things go south.

i know the location of several shelter points transport etc
and i will be acquiring a yacht and heading off shore
to a little place i know

Glad to hear it but may I ask if you have a timescale for getting there roughly.

I ask this because I did the maths and I can not make it worthwhile given living a "Normal" life.

I will elaborate if needed. and appriciate your input.

posted on Oct, 5 2014 @ 02:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: nonspecific

How quickly could you mobilise though, I can head off for months and have done but not at very short notice, thats the key to it surley?

I have to admit my mobilisation is the problem especially living near London. But Northern Scotland is definitely a place to head for.

posted on Oct, 5 2014 @ 02:54 PM
link   

Bugging out anywhere is not a possibility. The people who are already 'bugged out' are the only ones in a situation where they may survive something extremely major; that is the people who are already living out in the country, basically off grid, with water and food supplies already in place. Any city or suburban dweller leaving the safety of their homes, however dark they may be, will die in days of exposure, crime and lack of clean water. The highly armed may last a little longer, but you have to sleep sometime, at which point you're a goner. All the people who have a location picked out, maybe with some supplies hidden, are kidding themselves. The likelihood you'll leave the city in time, before the gridlock, and arrive at your location unscathed, is minuscule. How far could you walk, with your supplies, if your car runs out of gas or is stolen or stuck in traffic jams?

You can't bug out an entire population of a city the size of London, or Chicago or whatever. Cities themselves, in many ways, are barely sustainable now, much less if trucking ends, along with all the people working daily to supply them.

There was a book written quite a while ago that's easily available on a search, 'We Almost Lost Detroit' which discusses the early days of the atomic energy business. When asked about 'what if' scenarios', the Atomic Energy Commission assured the public that 'no leaks would ever take place'; that was basically unthinkable because so many fail-safes were designed into the systems... when asked further, well, what if something happens, the answer was 'evacuation, maybe for a few hours or days...' When asked what if something major BIG happens, the answer was the same, 'evacuation'... the thought that you simply cannot evacuate a city the size of Detroit, or Chicago, or London, or Paris, if there's an extreme event of whatever kind, simply didn't compute. They were unable to follow through mentally on the idea that their 'solution' was impossible, and from that, back off from the decisions to go ahead with nuclear power.

Fast forward 50 years, we got Fukushima, and Chernobyl, and Three Mile Island and a lot of other 'mistakes' you've never heard about.

posted on Oct, 5 2014 @ 02:57 PM
link   

I have to admit my mobilisation is the problem especially living near London. But Northern Scotland is definitely a place to head for.

So would it make a lot of sense to move to the north of Scotland and at least have a chance of surviving the kind of event that may require it?

posted on Oct, 5 2014 @ 02:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: signalfire

Bugging out anywhere is not a possibility. The people who are already 'bugged out' are the only ones in a situation where they may survive something extremely major; that is the people who are already living out in the country, basically off grid, with water and food supplies already in place. Any city or suburban dweller leaving the safety of their homes, however dark they may be, will die in days of exposure, crime and lack of clean water. The highly armed may last a little longer, but you have to sleep sometime, at which point you're a goner. All the people who have a location picked out, maybe with some supplies hidden, are kidding themselves. The likelihood you'll leave the city in time, before the gridlock, and arrive at your location unscathed, is minuscule. How far could you walk, with your supplies, if your car runs out of gas or is stolen or stuck in traffic jams?

You can't bug out an entire population of a city the size of London, or Chicago or whatever. Cities themselves, in many ways, are barely sustainable now, much less if trucking ends, along with all the people working daily to supply them.

There was a book written quite a while ago that's easily available on a search, 'We Almost Lost Detroit' which discusses the early days of the atomic energy business. When asked about 'what if' scenarios', the Atomic Energy Commission assured the public that 'no leaks would ever take place'; that was basically unthinkable because so many fail-safes were designed into the systems... when asked further, well, what if something happens, the answer was 'evacuation, maybe for a few hours or days...' When asked what if something major BIG happens, the answer was the same, 'evacuation'... the thought that you simply cannot evacuate a city the size of Detroit, or Chicago, or London, or Paris, if there's an extreme event of whatever kind, simply didn't compute. They were unable to follow through mentally on the idea that their 'solution' was impossible, and from that, back off from the decisions to go ahead with nuclear power.

Fast forward 50 years, we got Fukushima, and Chernobyl, and Three Mile Island and a lot of other 'mistakes' you've never heard about.

That saved me a whole load of typing things.

If your ever in the area I will happily buy you a beer for saying all of that.

posted on Oct, 5 2014 @ 02:59 PM
link   
Lol, you're on.

30 years of typing medical transcription, 120 wpm. No problemo.

posted on Oct, 5 2014 @ 03:00 PM
link   
I honestly believe that no one can bug out in the UK. Firstly you do not have to bug out too early as if there is any semblance of authority they will seek you out and stop you or if the sh** really hit the proverbial they will punish you. As you say the UK is just to crowded to bug out. You may think there are vast areas empty but if there is a big enough crisis to make you bug out the rest of the country will be trying to do it. That means roaming bands after supplies. I saw a video only yesterday about just this subject (ok it was in the US but still the same problems) and with experts giving their opinions followed a family after a country wide collapse. It was an eye opener with the experts really saying for you and your family to survive you must be prepared to kill for water and food. Sooner you live and they die. I think the only way you can survive a major crisis is to get into a compact community that looks after one another not try to go it alone.

posted on Oct, 5 2014 @ 03:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: crayzeed
I honestly believe that no one can bug out in the UK. Firstly you do not have to bug out too early as if there is any semblance of authority they will seek you out and stop you or if the sh** really hit the proverbial they will punish you. As you say the UK is just to crowded to bug out. You may think there are vast areas empty but if there is a big enough crisis to make you bug out the rest of the country will be trying to do it. That means roaming bands after supplies. I saw a video only yesterday about just this subject (ok it was in the US but still the same problems) and with experts giving their opinions followed a family after a country wide collapse. It was an eye opener with the experts really saying for you and your family to survive you must be prepared to kill for water and food. Sooner you live and they die. I think the only way you can survive a major crisis is to get into a compact community that looks after one another not try to go it alone.

Fully agreed, anyone could "bugout" in the middle of summer with a tent and an air rifle given a few months preperation and a predetermined plan of action.

I have a plan but it involves as you say a small community in a small villiage with livestock, shotguns and semi off grid utilites. It is not ideal but it beats a plan involving a bag of beans and a hunting knife.

posted on Oct, 5 2014 @ 03:08 PM
link   
Maybe what everyone should be focused on, especially if you live on a relatively small island surrounded by cold water, is getting off grid as much as possible.

Water catchment off your roofs, solar panels/wind generators/ solar ovens, composting toilets, a goodly supply of cheap propane, and a garden in the backyard or any other free space in your town (look into aquaponics, it saves lots of water and backbreaking labor!) and you've got a life that flips the bird at the corporations and makes you much more self sufficient. If TSHTF enough, there will be no more money system and lots of the reasons you're working now will dissolve. Maybe that'd be a good thing. Clue: If the laws, codes and regulations want to prevent you from doing something, then it's probably in your best interests to be doing it.

Getting a sailboat and living onboard is a great idea, but not if you've never tried it before and you think you're going to do that while all around you are panicking. It's not like you can just hike to the coast and appropriate a yacht all that easily, or learn to sail/run it without practice.

posted on Oct, 5 2014 @ 03:17 PM
link   
a reply to: signalfire
Yes I agree. There was a resent post about how the elites are preparing to go underground for a substantial period if the SHTF. But I think that method would be futile as sooner or later you have to come out of your hole to what's left of society and they just might be murderous at the privileged survivors. The very best bug out plan would be an island(preferably with fresh water but you can desalinate the sea). Sea food on your door step and if you have a community, easier to defend. Though if you had a real isolated island you need not worry about any one bothering you.

posted on Oct, 5 2014 @ 03:29 PM
link   
I'v seen allot of Walking Dead, so I know a little something about urban survival.

Get a group - protect the group & be prepared to kill to protect the group.

I'd be Daryl.

posted on Oct, 5 2014 @ 03:33 PM
link   

So would it make a lot of sense to move to the north of Scotland and at least have a chance of surviving the kind of event that may require it?

Yes it would make sense and in fact when we were in the local town me and my friend were looking at house prices lol just because it was so much better than where I am.

posted on Oct, 5 2014 @ 03:47 PM
link   
I think the children off men (The film) shows what it will be like in a total lapse off Government in a democratic country,
Never mind a pandemic or Obola type scenario.
The plan IMO is too stay put and scavenge from various sources IE, warehouses food outlets and abandoned Police/Military posts,
I'm glad i live further North than most off the population, because its all ways cold and wet, a natural defense against any pandemic plague,
Also an option that some may have think about is " the clean up crews so to speak" there will not be much fit healthy labour about so this is an ideal way to get feed and watered with shower's and clean laundry facilities.
Its not all doom and gloom.

posted on Oct, 5 2014 @ 06:54 PM
link   
I live in the peak district come up north when tshtf we are ready unlike you southerners we still no how to hunt
only ats members welcome, plenty of places to bug out

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join