It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bugging out in the UK. I can't see how it's possible.

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 04:57 PM
link   
Great thread and a really good read.

I am a little late with my bug out plan but I will be bugging out and testing my abilities and locations after winter has passed its worst.

And yes... north of scotland also lol

edit on 8-10-2014 by Vaxellion because: no reason

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 05:15 PM
link   
a reply to: Vaxellion

are you a teuchter

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 06:32 PM
link   
Cool thread.

I live in Scotland and have been thinking about preparing, actually starting to get a bit paranoid but I think it's entirely warranted - the majority of people around me seem to be in a trance.

I'm not too far from the countryside - lot's of places I could go and I've no issue with hitting the ground running. Have no responsibilities, being alone or isolated is nothing new to me and it's not a concern, I'd miss the computer and probably lose my job but that's about it. Everything else I need or want I could take with me or find.

I thought about it like you but realised that the majority of people in this country have no plan and to be frank, very little foresight or common sense. There's plenty of places for you and me and others like us in the UK. Prepping and the concept of bugging out isn't really that popular here, few have really though it out or would have the presence of mind to know when it's time to go.

It's the unpredictable nature of people that worries me...I'm always cautious, alert - grew up in a rough area and can handle myself but safety first. If you're going to bivvy down the last thing you need is to get injured. We UK folks ain't don't got no easy access to no guns like our American counterparts, which is a shame but we still need to protect ourselves.

I might start a thread about this - survival techniques for us UK folks, we can share tips. We're lucky in that there are no deserts in the UK, or jungles - we can catch rabbit, fish, we've got lakes and mountains - and most people in the UK are within reasonable distance of this abundance of natural resources. A bug-out bag is great, but there's more you can do.

Cool thread anyways, flagged my friend.

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 06:47 PM
link   
I just wanted to add.

I don't think the majority of people will handle it. Look around you, if you see what I see...everyone's on life support, and that life support is their phone, their network. They rely on technology to survive, we all do.

I think it's those of us who foresee this, who know what our luxuries and comforts are, and realise that we could easily lose them, are the ones that will be smart when the time comes.

I see helpless people frantically trying to get their phones to work, I see people crumbling because they simply won't be able to adjust to a life with no comforts.

I'm old fashioned, I read books, I like training and exercise, I like being alone and I know that things can and very well may get hairy in the not too distant future - so mentaly I'm prepped. I don't watch tv, I own a cheap, crappy phone because it's a modern day, necessary evil - i leave it at home, turn it off, ignore it when it rings. Send the odd text and that's about it...I preferred it 20 years ago when people didn't need to know where I was and what I was doing.

In a SHTF scenario these things become even less important to me, but to the majority...I see people crumbling, screaming in tears because they are missing some crappy tv show or can't update their status on facebook. They'll be dying of starvation long before they realise things are actually quite serious.

But enough of us will know better, by starting this thread you've already accepted that it can and might happen, so mentally you're either preparing or prepared. A test run would be good as people suggest - but don't take the result as being conclusive. A real situation can not be simulated, you'll always know in the back of your mind that you're only doing a test run and that desire to survive for real because you have to won't really kick in.

It's when you know it's real, that will come out of you. People can do amazing things under extreme pressure and survive terrible situations...we're more resilient than some people give us credit for...it's all about will and intent.

I think you'll be fine.

posted on Oct, 9 2014 @ 03:00 AM
link   
I hate to say it but I live in London, and I'm a part time prepper.

I have basic supplies and such but I'm also a realist, I'd be screwed, if something big were to happen the Government and its people would look after themselves first, the PM and cabinet would leave by helicopter or armed cavalcade to a secure and well stocked area to 'ensure a functioning government' (read to look after themselves first), then worry about the citizenry (all the while hoping a lot of us wipe ourselves out in the ensuing chaos).

I think the best thing to do is we are going to be in a situation is ( if you have an apartment or flat your basically buggered) is clear the loft space and have supplies and water, sleeping bags and clothing up there, but make the downstairs look like its already been ransacked, you can lock the doors until someone else breaks in.

If it looks like someones already been through the place then the interlopers are less likely to go upstairs as they'll be looking for food in the kitchen more than this years fashion in the bedrooms.

My inexpert advice is insulate the loft, both with warm material and soundproofing if you can, remove the outside latch to the loft stairs and add a rope to pull the hatch up behind you, turn off the gas and water supplies during the day and back on during the night, add blackout curtains (or at least own them) to cover the windows during the night, sleep during the day with one on watch and if you have to go out, go at night as most people will do the opposite, we all prefer daylight to go looking for things even in today's safe lifestyle don't we?

If the worlds going to be topsyturvy you may have to train your thinking and planning patterns to do the same, think about what YOU would do if you were unprepared for emergency with little or no help coming from the authorities, what would you be prepared to DO in order to survive because that is what THEY will be doing.

If you have elders your worried about move them in with you as most people in a SHTF situation will always go for the vulnerable first, they go for the ones that can fight back as that's what I would do.

And that is the way to think "What will I have to do to keep my family alive, how far should I go? how far WOULD I go?"

There's always someone out here in webworld with some sort of advice mine could be as wrong as theirs but if you fail to plan then you plan to fail as the old saying goes, but it doesn't matter if your in a reinforced bunker surrounded by armed guards sooner or later if the situation is bad enough everyone will turn on every one else, those armed guards you hired? will shoot you in the back if it looks like your feeding your family and theirs has been left to starve, that reinforced bunker full off supplies? could be your tomb if people hear about the horn of plenty in the storeroom as they will try to storm it day in day out.
Make out your in the same boat as everyone else and that you have nothing worth stealing then their more likely to move on to the next potential victim, the greatest weapon you have is your mind, keep it as sharp as a knife and it will help you more times that not.

Have a prioritized plan and stick to it, don't befuddle it with trying to to everything it once, need food? put it on the list, need clothing?, put it on the list, need heat? put it on the list, need water? put it on the list, need a generator? put it on the list.
Now look at your list and see what you need the most and go after it until you got it, because if you try to go after all of them at the same time you won't get any of it.

Just my 2 pence worth.

posted on Oct, 9 2014 @ 09:23 AM
link   
Here's another quick thought,If you can't bug out and you don't want to bug in could you bug up?

Heavily populated areas are full of big buildings with flat roofs. You could be seen by helicopter but no one else is likely to find you?

posted on Oct, 9 2014 @ 02:07 PM
link   
a reply to: samerulesapply

Well this is the age of technology after all... ipads, iphones, android phones, xbox and ps consoles, internet shopping and banking, internet usage alonea and almost everythi g else people do I their daily life routine regarding texhnolotechnology.

I agree people will break and this generation of up and comers wont have a scooby what to do in this type of scenario.

I myself rely heavily on all of these things.

However I am actually quitting my job and goi g to spend a month in isolation up north fending for my self and practicing and owning my current survival knowledge.

if people have bug out bags and some ideas for bugging out but have never put them into practice then in my opinion I think they have no idea what they are getting themselves into and probably wont last a week.

some great ideas on this page its good to read a lot of informative stuff regarding this type of situation keep it up.

And no I am not a teuchter... I am from glasgow city... no sheep around here..

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 09:29 AM
link   
a reply to: Vaxellion

one thing you might want to take if your considering taking a knife (especially a large one), I took a 16 machete when I stealth camped in Kielder forest a couple of years ago. Read up and take a copy of the law about blades, (section 74 or 77 I think can't remember which (if any)).
That way if you get stopped you can explain why you have a fixed blade longer then 3 inches and if they don't believe you, you can show them the paperwork, after that you can use the paper as either a fuel source for your camp fire of keep it for the journey back home in-case you get stopped again.

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 09:56 AM
link   
I moved up to Scotland 5 years ago. I saw a long time ago the things coming to pass. Scottish weather can be very harsh and I know as I spent many years wild camping up here before I moved.
We now live in a remote area and the locals take a long time to get to know you and be accepted, they don't take readily to "incomers". I imagine in a world that is now about to go mad people coming to the area will be noticed.
I would also mention there are a lot of guns up here and stalkers for dear management, these guys are often about in the hills...they will notice people coming in

Just my opinion

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 11:20 AM
link   
I think the other big problem is that it seems to everybodys location of choice.

It will be full of armed survival experts and locals.

a reply to: shuck

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 08:54 PM
link   
a reply to: nonspecific

I know what you guys mean, it's a good point to consider.

On the flip side I resolve to the notion that like-minded people can co-exist. It's not other survivors I'm concerned with, if someone passes me by without conflict or confrontation that I'd likely be happy with that, the resources aren't mine and co-existing is something I'm happy to do.

I think that eventually, like minded people will form small groups and communities anyway, but to be sure, encroaching on others' doorsteps might cause some problems.

People can be quite unpredictable...if something did happen in the end I'd have a choice, stay and hope or try to survive. I know where my instinct will lead me, I ain't rollon' over and succumbing to death or disease if I've a fighting chance or think I've a chance.

I'll cross whatever barriers I hit in the process or die knowing I tried at least.

I'd most likely head for perthshire having spent time there as a youth, camping and the likes. beautiful place, lot's of wide open land, not too crowded and plenty of resources. Be nice to bump into some other people at some point if they're not hostile and see the value in pulling together in times of need.

I already thought about this and decided that isolation will be necessary for a while but I probably wouldn't last that long on my own and human contact will eventually become necessary at some point...I'd be on my own but know that there are still people close by and that might not necessarily be a bad thing.

I dunno...there's a lot of uncertainty on my part which is why I've enjoyed reading this thread very much. Perpping is as much about considering the possibilities as it is scouting locations and stocking up on essentials.

Cheers.

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join