It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why is the DEA now using pit bulls as drug sniffing dogs?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 09:55 PM
link   
Serious question.

I really do not want to have to show pictures to verify this.

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 10:01 PM
link   
a reply to: jrod

Wouldn't you have to ask some one who has worked with DEA? If you want a completely random guess, do they detect better than what they were using before? If they detect just as well, then there is an intimidation factor which might be in play.

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 10:03 PM
link   

Why is the DEA now using pit bulls as drug sniffing dogs?

They are of the most sensitive dogs out there and they make great service animals. The American Pit Bull Terrier is our standard service model.

Their name has been tarnished by assholes.

edit on 19-9-2014 by Bybyots because: . : .

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 10:03 PM
link   

Many agencies use all types of dogs as drug and explosive sniffing dogs.

www.sheriff.co.geauga.oh.us...

Guinness record holder for smallest police dawg. I'm sure she's ferocious.

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 10:10 PM
link   

Because lots of drug dealers have poorly trained pit bulls as their 'protectors'? Maybe... perhaps?

Of course...

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 10:10 PM
link   
a reply to: charles1952

When I do that, they play dumb. Hear no evil, see no evil.....

Sometimes it is good to be perceived as a bumbling idiot.

The public is completely unaware of this. I have noticed they use a variety of breeds as sniffers.

The pit bull is used because they serve well as an attack dog and will continue to attack even after repeated blows to the head with say a sledge hammer.

I fear they use pit bulls for their bite!
edit on 19-9-2014 by jrod because:

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 10:11 PM
link   
They usually have a very good temperament. Pitbulls are strong but are good with children and the elderly.

Also, sadly the media portrays them as bonecrushing monsters due to their exploitation of certain events. A lot of people fear pits, to some people the very sight of them can be intimidating in itself. I think it's psychological in this case, for fear. To show dominance, superiority, strength.

I can imagine if they're trained to, a pit would be able to hold down or disable a person until a human could intervene.

S +F I had no idea they were using pitbulls now.

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 10:53 PM
link   

Maybe Obama thought it would be funny if a pit bull drug sniffing dog turned on it's handlers and German Shepherd dogs weren't as eager to bite. They're dumb vicious dogs.

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 11:14 PM
link   
Because pit bulls and police officers have a lot in common.

We are both blanketly judged, hated, and treated like the lowest life form by many. The media also likes to only report the bad when it comes to our kind.

Sorry I couldn't pass that one up.

In all seriousness I love my pit. He is the most loving and gentle dog I know.

edit on 19-9-2014 by TorqueyThePig because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 11:19 PM
link   
Ain't scared of pits.

I've seen CPD use BULLMASTIFFS. Them dogs when angry can outrun you and kill you.

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 11:26 PM
link   

FYI the U.S.A selectors are cheap and often , more often recruit dogs from shelters.
The shelters are full of Pitts. I am in AZ ,just adopted a dog. Our shelters
are 95% pit bull /mixes. They are great dogs vilified by breeders that fight
them.

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 11:39 PM
link   
a reply to: TorqueyThePig

Cute doggy. I'm scared of pit bulls, although i once jumped a fence into a yard where a pit bull was guarding. I was on adrenaline, locked out of my home, panicking and needed help. The wind slammed my door shut. The dog didn't attack me, I wasn't scared because of the adrenaline rush I suppose. The owner came rushing out "careful of the pit bull!".

I see lots of stupid owners who think it's funny to say get her, get him, for a joke and get the dog all excited, barking and growling.

They must be using them for intimidation, as well as the sniffing abilities.
edit on 19-9-2014 by violet because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 11:52 PM
link   
Teach a pit to fear and obey at the end of a garden hose or choker chain, and one day that dawg will likely hurt you or someone you love.
Teach a pit with discipline and compassion, and they can be one of the best companions you'll ever know... of the canine sort.

Dobermans are mostly the same as well. Shepherds and Poodles even will turn if they find the need.

Grains and dogs- two of the first GMO things people made.

posted on Sep, 20 2014 @ 12:08 AM
link   
a reply to: violet

Afraid of this?

Clive is saying what is she talking about!?
Sara is just knows that her big smile and a kiss will relieve you of your anxiety.
edit on 00u1712amb14America/Chicago by Hushabye because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 20 2014 @ 12:12 AM
link   
You act as if pit pulls have never been used as service dogs before or something. Odd...

edit on 20-9-2014 by Kromlech because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 20 2014 @ 12:39 AM
link   

When I first got my pit bull I noticed she has a very good sense of smell. We could hide her favorite toy around the yard and she would find it in seconds. Pit bulls can also be very smart, just like any other breed.

posted on Sep, 20 2014 @ 12:44 AM
link   
I love all animals, except for cats, but when it comes to Pit Bulls I live by the mantra, "Once bitten, twice shy."

I stopped at a house my grandparents owned (their last rental property, having sold the others years ago) to get the mail (my grandmother refuses to change the billing address for the utilities). I parked in the back, walked down the sidewalk the runs on the East side of the house and no sooner than I came out from between their house and the neighbors I was ambushed.

This ~50 lbs Pit latched down on my right hand, nearly down to the wrist and started shaking its head.

I beat its head so hard and so often I exposed my knuckle bones on my right hand. I must of finally gotten him in the right spot because he let go and ran yelping like he was on fire across my grandparents property and into the house owned by a family of useless eaters.

The police never arrived, so I drove to the station and slapped my still severely bleeding hand right up on the glass, smearing it all over it. It was only then an officer took my statement. The animal was picked up by Animal Control within the hour.

Those 'urbanites' somehow scrapped the $500 to get their worthless animal out of doggy jail but they still owe me $1690 for the ER visit that the judge fined them for.

It wasn't that much longer after that that I began carrying. It was pretty hilarious the next time I went to get the mail I had a friend go with me and the two of us were openly carrying

It is sad how one breed has been bastardized though.

posted on Sep, 20 2014 @ 12:59 AM
link   

I had a friend who is an upstanding member of society and he got a pit bull as a puppy. I said "don't raise that dog around your kids they are too territorial. He raised the dog right, with zero abuse. One day this dog decided his five year old daughter was a threat to the mother and clamped its jaws on the girls face at the hairline and under her jaw trying g to rip her face off. Mom went nuts the dog let go and attacked her. A neighbor had to beat it to death with a baseball bat.

The DEA know this about the breed. They are just as visous as the dogs.
edit on 020149America/Chicago1u9Sepam9 by LoneGunMan because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 20 2014 @ 01:08 AM
link   
a reply to: TorqueyThePig

So what was your motivation to become a cop? I'm an ex-firfighter. I know cops...all of them do it because of ego problems. Most are no good inside or are geeks. Sorry its the truth. Just another pit bull.
edit on 020149America/Chicago1u9Sepam9 by LoneGunMan because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 20 2014 @ 01:12 AM
link   
a reply to: Hushabye

They are preciously fantastic! I have a Great Dane that acts like he's going to kill you but in the end all he'll do is slobber on you, which in fact, may be worse than death.

Beautiful dogs man!

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join