It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scotland Vote No In Referendum – Selfish, Scared People, Well Done!

page: 16
<< 13  14  15    17  18  19 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 24 2014 @ 05:47 PM
link   
a reply to: Gododdin
Ah you see I'm not crying about 1282 when he got killed, I just learned about it in history classes at school.
You are the one making assertions that the Welsh were 'wimpy'.
That makes you look like a troll, and it is good that mods allow you to do so because calm and rational members of ATS can continue to read your posts and make their own minds up regarding the validity (or not) of your seemingly bigoted posts.

posted on Sep, 24 2014 @ 05:48 PM
link   

I do, and I've been learning more. My kids know more Gaelic than me!

The Welsh were very clever really, they wrote down so much of their history, and of course now we rely on their texts to learn about ourselves. Their language persisted because of their inner strength and belief that their culture was worth something, even when they were not allowed to speak it at school. We owe the Welsh our thanks that they had the determination to keep their history, through generations. And don't forget, it was the wimpy Welsh that the Picts would call on! The wild Silurians, lol!

Yes, that's right, the Picts had a complicated matrilineal system it would seem, although only kings are recorded but it was the mother's bloodline that seemed to count. Anyway, I can be a Pictish bore if I put my mind to it, so I won't bore you! Good to meet you, welcome to ATS!

posted on Sep, 24 2014 @ 06:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: beansidhe
And don't forget, it was the wimpy Welsh that the Picts would call on! The wild Silurians, lol!

Nope, it was the Silures, a tribe in the southern geographic area of Wales, get it right.
Stop, and hush with your silly and incorrect DR Who references now, it does not help your argument in the debate.
edit on 24-9-2014 by grainofsand because: Typo

posted on Sep, 24 2014 @ 06:01 PM
link   
a reply to: beansidhe
well said..applause for you, and that is pretty much what I said in an earlier post...Be the change you want to see...Stand up and make Scotland the country you want to live in..help your neighbour, join together and meet the challenges you both face..don't spit in his eye and dismiss him because you have a different viewpoint...

And on the subject of Scotland remaining within the union, England, Wales and Ireland are our neighbours, lets embrace them and let us all face the challenges of 2014 and beyond... together...

Peace

posted on Sep, 24 2014 @ 06:01 PM
link   

The Welsh were very clever really, they wrote down so much of their history, and of course now we rely on their texts to learn about ourselves. Their language persisted because of their inner strength and belief that their culture was worth something, even when they were not allowed to speak it at school. We owe the Welsh our thanks that they had the determination to keep their history, through generations. And don't forget, it was the wimpy Welsh that the Picts would call on! The wild Silurians, lol!

Yes, that's right, the Picts had a complicated matrilineal system it would seem, although only kings are recorded but it was the mother's bloodline that seemed to count. Anyway, I can be a Pictish bore if I put my mind to it, so I won't bore you! Good to meet you, welcome to ATS!

Well, Picts are also supposed to have founded the Welsh Kingdom, Guened.

Scotland also has a strong Brittonic heritage that people tend to overlook, in favor of Dal Riada and Picts. Strathclyde was an independent kingdom for along time, and they were most certainly "Welsh speakers". Most of Scotland south of the Forth-Clyde would have been so, before the Angles came. Have you ever been to Dumbarton Rock?

posted on Sep, 24 2014 @ 06:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: grainofsand

And don't forget, it was the wimpy Welsh that the Picts would call on! The wild Silurians, lol!

Nope, it was the Silures, a tribe in the southern geographic area of Wales, get it right.
Stop, and hush with your silly and incorrect DR Who references now, it does not help your argument in the debate.

Lol mate, she was on your side in this one. She was saying that the Welsh weren't wimpy.

But anyway, you be a good guard pup and overzealous advocate of the UK like a proper Welshman should.
edit on 24-9-2014 by Gododdin because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 24 2014 @ 06:04 PM
link   
Excellent, then as a Welsh bloke I claim my place in your land lol

posted on Sep, 24 2014 @ 06:05 PM
link   
a reply to: grainofsand

Dr Who?
Oh no, you're right lol!

I've offended a nation (again). Sorry, grainofsand, the Picts did not call on creatures from Dr. Who, they called on the Silures. Time for bed, I think...

posted on Sep, 24 2014 @ 06:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gododdin

Well, Picts are also supposed to have founded the Welsh Kingdom, Guened.

Scotland also has a strong Brittonic heritage that people tend to overlook, in favor of Dal Riada and Picts. Strathclyde was an independent kingdom for along time, and they were most certainly "Welsh speakers". Most of Scotland south of the Forth-Clyde would have been so, before the Angles came. Have you ever been to Dumbarton Rock?

Now you are just splitting hairs..even insulting those who have been by your side...seriously..give it up...note that is not give up, as in surrender, just stop trying to win the "battle" by means of undermining everything that does not adhere to your rigid worldview...it's really tiresome..

And on that note, I'm off to bed...

Peace to all

posted on Sep, 24 2014 @ 06:14 PM
link   

Yes, I drive by it every day!
Your name couldn't be more appropriate for right now, wait and I'll find Y Gododdin for you. Set in the Edinburgh area and yet written in Welsh, so very exciting really when trying to pick apart the Picts! It would seem that these groups would readily fight for each other, and support each other against a common enemy. They weren't daft..

Y Gododdin

A beautiful poem, enjoy. Good night all.

posted on Sep, 24 2014 @ 06:16 PM
link   
I'll leave you to the thread fella, you clearly present a belligerent argument which is probably inspired by misplaced emotions. Good luck with your bigoted anger, and feel free to get involved in my Scotland, Wales, N.Ireland, and England...it's our Union, let's now fix it together. thread.
It is a thread advocating unity and friendship/reconciliation between us all while the current legal and political situation is 'union' after the majority vote of Scotland.

posted on Sep, 24 2014 @ 06:19 PM
link   
What I find totally hilarious is people have next to zero understanding of what independence actually is.

It appears people like the label or badge, but when it comes to it they don't like to discuss how it actually would work or be administered.

It is also clear from all the Scottish Independence threads I've participated in that the YES camp are entirely basing there decision on ill conceived ideas about what the UK actually is coupled with some terrible primitive prejudice encapsulated with raw emotion.

A reaction that is frankly immature!

Following the referendum my view of the Scottish has forever changed.... Sad really.... to be left with such a bad taste in ones mouth...

Korg.

posted on Sep, 24 2014 @ 06:19 PM
link   
a reply to: destination now

You've just said the English stopped all Scots speaking Gaelic /?

That is what i was taught in school also that after Culloden in 1746 that wearing tartan and talking Gaelic were banned and the first man who got charged for wearing tartan was a fellow from Africa

posted on Sep, 24 2014 @ 06:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: Korg Trinity
What I find totally hilarious is people have next to zero understanding of what independence actually is.

It appears people like the label or badge, but when it comes to it they don't like to discuss how it actually would work or be administered.

It is also clear from all the Scottish Independence threads I've participated in that the YES camp are entirely basing there decision on ill conceived ideas about what the UK actually is coupled with some terrible primitive prejudice encapsulated with raw emotion.

Following the referendum my view of the Scottish has forever changed.... Sad really.... to be left with such a bad taste in ones mouth...

Korg.

The feeling is mutual, your ilk have certainly left a foul taste in my mouth as well.

posted on Sep, 24 2014 @ 07:16 PM
link   
BUT DID THEY the figures do not seem to add up from the census and the election

5.800.000 million of a population ,
3.6 million turn out to vote .

average attendance 84.4 % across the country so 15.6 % OF THE voters never turned up ?????

The No camp triumphed in the independence referendum with a majority of 2,001,926 votes (55.3 per cent) to the Yes' 1,617,989 (44.7 per cent),

so 2.200.000 million less the 750.000 who never turned up to vote that could have 1.45 million roughly less prisoners less nutters who are not allowed to vote

so in the 32 school regions all we have is 1.4 million under 16s

when i talked to a old school friend today who is now a teacher at our old school and asked her was there more that 1.4 milliom under 16 s she seemed to think so and will look into it for me

watch this space

posted on Sep, 24 2014 @ 07:22 PM
link   

You need to get up to date and stop living in the past ... GAELIC?

GLOBAL BUSINESS SPEAKS ENGLISH
The fastest spreading language in human history, English is spoken at a
useful level by some 1.7 billion people world wide.
www.globalenglish.com...

posted on Sep, 24 2014 @ 07:53 PM
link   
a reply to: shauny

I am so sorry that your country was stupid and didn't vote for independence. Some people are scared of change. However, I would look and ensure that the votes were "correctly counted". In America there have been HUGE scandals about people being "elected" through false voting counts, and maybe you guys can start there.

Salmond quitting and then the announcement that Scotland may can break without a vote leads me to believe Salmond will be back with a better strategy to go independent.

In the meantime expect Britain to punish you, and expect the immigration of Eastern Europeans via Britain to go through the proverbial roof. Hopefully you guys haven't pissed the US off and make them back up Britain to have harsh punishments on you. The US is known to be ruthless against those who reject its banking and other systems.

If all else fails, armed revolution, while costly, will definitely prove effective. At least Scotland is a white country; had you been an African or India colony, there would have definitely been politricks and bloodshed as your land "separated" (see Congo or India/Pakistan break.).

posted on Sep, 25 2014 @ 04:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: Korg Trinity

Korg.

The feeling is mutual, your ilk have certainly left a foul taste in my mouth as well.

My advice to you.... go and travel a bit! Go out and see how the rest of the world lives... then perhaps your seriously outdated procedures might be put into perspective!

Korg.

posted on Sep, 25 2014 @ 08:35 AM
link   

a reply to: destination now

Well, not quite. My mother and my mother's family all speak Gaelic, and have done for many, many generations. It's been more of a Highland/Lowland split really.

We don't know if some never spoke it at all, because nobody knows what language the Picts spoke -shameful really. Some argue for P-Celtic, although there is a resurgence in the belief that they may have spoken Q-Celtic (Gaelic & Irish Gaelic). Whilst Q-Celtic is similar in sentence structure to other Celtic languages, it is very different in vocabularly. P-Celtic (such as Welsh) elements appear in some of our places names; Aber- is a good example, although not in others. So it's a bit of a conundrum really.

Awesome that you've got family who speak it. There really should be more effort to teach it in Scotland. It's funny, the Welsh language lives on in a much better state than Scottish Gaelic, and the reason is because the wimpy Welsh did so little fighting. The English just left them alone once they became a principality in the 1200s. But we did so much fighting against them, and they always feared rebellion from us, so they were a lot more brutal in trying to wipe out our culture. Fact is, Scotland was the last place conquered in the British Isles.

And about Pictish, some historians even had these theories about it might not have even been Celtic, or that there was a pre-Celtic substratum in the language. I don't know how seriously the idea is taken now, but apparently this comes from some stuff scrawled on our Ogham stones that nobody can decipher. Also, Picts had the extremely unusual and un-Celtic practice of being matrilineal, meaning the inheritance passed down the female line and not the male.

It was the Normans not the English that invaded wales

posted on Sep, 25 2014 @ 09:22 AM
link   
a reply to: crazy greek
Hang on! Don't let facts get in the way of a distorted worldview. Shame on you, can you not see that's facts are out and fantasy is in!
Regards

top topics

<< 13  14  15    17  18  19 >>

join