It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scotland Vote No In Referendum – Selfish, Scared People, Well Done!

page: 15
<< 12  13  14    16  17  18 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 24 2014 @ 03:27 PM
link   
a reply to: Gododdin
Lol, a great whinge from a proud Scot, love it!

posted on Sep, 24 2014 @ 03:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gododdin

originally posted by: destination now

originally posted by: KROandSOTV

The English are not my countrymen, and never will be. I'm Scottish, not British.

All together now ahhhhhhh a small minded little bigot go back to watching braveheart .

You're just showing me why I should dislike you even more. Funny how that always happens.

You people are always so sensitive, whining and braying like a little girl who scuffed her knee. "Bigot, racist, Anglophobe, whaaa whhaa". It's almost comical if it weren't so sad. It's pretty clear the English are an effeminate lot.

Also, it's pretty hilarious how the fellow calls me a bigot while in the same breath referring to Scottish people as "Jocks". I always have a lot of success provoking the cowardly hypocrites and getting them to expose themselves.

I suggest you read back your own posts and see that you were being reflected back to yourself..as if in a mirror..

Strange how you can see it in others, but not yourself..

Sad

I'm open about my contempt for English people. These cowards hide behind their self-righteous, hypocritical whining to conceal how they really see us. I mean, by now it should be pretty clear to you, with the whole "I can't stand these dumb jocks" thing just a few posts above, but I guess not. Go on living in your fantasy.

Well then you are just a xenophobic racist and your opinion means nothing to me ..I am surprised that ATS have not banned you..if you were saying the same things about black people they would have..

Racist? Lol..... English isn't a race, it isn't even an ethnicity. English people and Scots are the same race and the same ethnicity, the only difference is nationality.

I get so tired of these useless buzzwords that are meant to intimidate people. "Anglophobe" "racist" etc, it's all nonsense to me, seeing as how we are the same race, and lowland Scots are technically Anglos because they descend from Angles that settled there in the 6th century.

Utterly ridiculous.

So if they are the same as you, why do you hate them then..is that not just like hating yourself?

If it wan't for the English, many Scots would still be speaking Gaelic. They annihilated our culture and language by clearing out highlanders from their homes and shipping them in chains to industrial centres or American colonies, and attempted to rewrite our history with propaganda. And they still have the arrogance to look down on us to this very day, as shown by the English person a few posts above.

So clearly we are two different nations. The union is artificial.

We are different from them, I just accept reality. Sure we've been in a union for a long time, but there's no need for it anymore. There is no longer a British empire (despite what butthurt English might like to fantasize about), and we aren't threatened by Germans in a World War. It's time we recognized that we deserve to be separate.

Oh dear.

Some people just can't move on and leave history where it belongs. In the past.

posted on Sep, 24 2014 @ 03:30 PM
link   

The English are not my countrymen, and never will be. I'm Scottish, not British.

All together now ahhhhhhh a small minded little bigot go back to watching braveheart .

You're just showing me why I should dislike you even more. Funny how that always happens.

You people are always so sensitive, whining and braying like a little girl who scuffed her knee. "Bigot, racist, Anglophobe, whaaa whhaa". It's almost comical if it weren't so sad. It's pretty clear the English are an effeminate lot.

Also, it's pretty hilarious how the fellow calls me a bigot while in the same breath referring to Scottish people as "Jocks". I always have a lot of success provoking the cowardly hypocrites and getting them to expose themselves.

I suggest you read back your own posts and see that you were being reflected back to yourself..as if in a mirror..

Sad

I'm open about my contempt for English people. These cowards hide behind their self-righteous, hypocritical whining to conceal how they really see us. I mean, by now it should be pretty clear to you, with the whole "I can't stand these dumb jocks" thing just a few posts above, but I guess not. Go on living in your fantasy.

Well then you are just a xenophobic racist and your opinion means nothing to me ..I am surprised that ATS have not banned you..if you were saying the same things about black people they would have..

Racist? Lol..... English isn't a race, it isn't even an ethnicity. English people and Scots are the same race and the same ethnicity, the only difference is nationality.

I get so tired of these useless buzzwords that are meant to intimidate people. "Anglophobe" "racist" etc, it's all nonsense to me, seeing as how we are the same race, and lowland Scots are technically Anglos because they descend from Angles that settled there in the 6th century.

Utterly ridiculous.

So if they are the same as you, why do you hate them then..is that not just like hating yourself?

If it wan't for the English, many Scots would still be speaking Gaelic. They annihilated our culture and language by clearing out highlanders from their homes and shipping them in chains to industrial centres or American colonies, and attempted to rewrite our history with propaganda. And they still have the arrogance to look down on us to this very day, as shown by the English person a few posts above.

We are different from them, I just accept reality. Sure we've been in a union for a long time, but there's no need for it anymore. There is no longer a British empire (despite what butthurt English might like to fantasize about), and we aren't threatened by Germans in a World War. It's time we recognized that we deserve to be separate.

Okay, you say you know history, I would beg to differ...and if you want pm me your clan name and I can get a full background done for you and we will see how much gaelic your clansmen would actually have been likely to have known..(and one of my best friends in a qualified Scottish genealogist)

What an idiotic and xenophobic response that was...Seriously do you not hear yourself..or at least read back your words

posted on Sep, 24 2014 @ 03:40 PM
link   

Sad

Utterly ridiculous.

Okay, you say you know history, I would beg to differ...and if you want pm me your clan name and I can get a full background done for you and we will see how much gaelic your clansmen would actually have been likely to have known..(and one of my best friends in a qualified Scottish genealogist)

What an idiotic and xenophobic response that was...Seriously do you not hear yourself..or at least read back your words

When did I say my ancestors spoke Gaelic? I never said that, I only said that a lot of Scots did. Are you denying that many people spoke Gaelic in Scotland prior to the 17-18th centuries? (Actually it's very likely they did at one point, seeing as they were from Argyll)

posted on Sep, 24 2014 @ 03:45 PM
link   

posted on Sep, 24 2014 @ 03:57 PM
link   

Sad

Utterly ridiculous.

When did I say my ancestors spoke Gaelic? I never said that, I only said that a lot of Scots did. Are you denying that many people spoke Gaelic in Scotland prior to the 17-18th centuries? (Actually it's very likely they did at one point, seeing as they were from Argyll)

You've just said the English stopped all Scots speaking Gaelic...seriously, if you're just going to spout nonsense, then there's no point! But as you will know the Gaelic language hails from northern Europe, and was just one of a number of dialects that was adopted in Wales, Scotland, Ireland AND England, and was ultimately overtaken by the Angles and the Saxons, the Normans etc..and so it goes on..The French language((also inspired by the old European languages) obviously interspersed with the local dialect at the time frame you're talking about,,,just prior to unification, and you can still hear that today if you listen.

But more and more we talk in a unified language, and I think that is a good thing, because we can communicate more freely and help each other more readily...but you don't seem to want that..you want us all to be separate and fight each other instead..Okay..whatever..

posted on Sep, 24 2014 @ 04:08 PM
link   

So all of Scotlands ills are the fault of all of the English? And you think that's a valid, reasoned position? There are far greater and genuine divisions between our ruling classes and the remainder of the UK's population, what a shame you are just dim enough to fall for the myths and play their game, treating Scottishness and Englishess as if they are a genuine division, rather than merely a label that allows divide and rule to keep working. Why else would you do rabidly fight for independence when all of history shows that people are at their strongest when they are united. Something that applies at all levels from the workplace to international politics.

posted on Sep, 24 2014 @ 04:15 PM
link   
I'm Welsh, and agree with the 90% or more of Welsh people who support a union with more equitable devolution for all of us in the union instead of independence, but that said, Wales does not have oil. Perhaps more Welsh folk would want to deny the English, Northern Irish, and Scottish the benefits of such resources if it was found in Wales. Who knows.

*Edit*
www.walesonline.co.uk...

The new poll for BBC Wales, carried out for its Week in Week Out programme, found just 3% wanted Wales to be independent.

edit on 24-9-2014 by grainofsand because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 24 2014 @ 04:32 PM
link   

Is this thread still going? Wow. I'm reading from the bottom up, but I saw your post and just wanted to comment. The Book of Deer, from Aberdeenshire (10th cent), has Gaelic notes written in the margins. Interesting, eh? But we're not told about this really, it's usually taught that we don't know what language the Picts spoke. But it would seem that in the heart of Pictland, Gaelic was known. Were our ancestors bi-lingual? It's very possible, but it's also possible that we spoke Gaelic across Scotland.
We were only allowed to have our signage written in Gaelic after devolution, for goodness sake!

So you raise a very important point, independence would allow us to maintain our unique and important cultural identity, something that we should strive for. It's not about superiority or one nation being 'better' than the other, which of course isn't true, but there is nothing wrong in wanting to preserve and cherish a nation's culture.

posted on Sep, 24 2014 @ 04:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: grainofsand
I'm Welsh, and agree with the 90% or more of Welsh people who support a union with more equitable devolution for all of us in the union instead of independence, but that said, Wales does not have oil. Perhaps more Welsh folk would want to deny the English, Northern Irish, and Scottish the benefits of such resources if it was found in Wales. Who knows.

But oil does not last forever, and it has been getting drilled out of the North Sea for quite some time now...If Scotland had taken the independence option in 1979 then maybe we would have an economy that would be in line with that of Norway, but even then it was a big chance and of course Norway had far more oil and a far better control and ownership of it. We in Scotland can only take a percentage of what the oil companies make, by way of taxation, and independence cannot change that (despite Jim Sillar's threat of nationalisation) I do not doubt that it has been an excellent asset but it was always going to be a transitory one. Norway built huge reserves, but they did that because they knew that once it was gone, it was gone...I also know that Norway have their own problems right now, several posters on here talk about it, and that was despite not being in the EU and being a totally independent country

posted on Sep, 24 2014 @ 04:54 PM
link   

But oil does not last forever, and it has been getting drilled out of the North Sea for quite some time now...If Scotland had taken the independence option in 1979 then maybe we would have an economy that would be in line with that of Norway, but even then it was a big chance and of course Norway had far more oil and a far better control and ownership of it. We in Scotland can only take a percentage of what the oil companies make, by way of taxation, and independence cannot change that (despite Jim Sillar's threat of nationalisation) I do not doubt that it has been an excellent asset but it was always going to be a transitory one. Norway built huge reserves, but they did that because they knew that once it was gone, it was gone...I also know that Norway have their own problems right now, several posters on here talk about it, and that was despite not being in the EU and being a totally independent country

This is encouraging.

It is at least not only me that appears to know this as fact.

Korg.

posted on Sep, 24 2014 @ 04:57 PM
link   
a reply to: beansidhe

But people in Scotland have not spoken Gaelic in centuries..way before unification, some never spoke it at all...sheesh, it's a Northern European language, that many parts of the Uk conversed in, and changed, and adapted, over many centuries...

"OMG"...and that's a new one for the lexicon of languages spoken, now globally, but widely recognised..."lolspeak"

posted on Sep, 24 2014 @ 04:59 PM
link   
a reply to: destination now
Maybe us Welsh are not chasing independence because there is no question of carbon resources to fund free prescriptions and Uni tuition, aside form coal which is not in vogue right now. Perhaps more Scots would have been drawn to independence if the people advocating it actually had some c̶o̶n̶f̶i̶r̶m̶e̶d̶ ̶s̶o̶u̶r̶c̶e̶s̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶s̶u̶p̶p̶o̶r̶t̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶i̶r̶ ̶c̶l̶a̶i̶m̶s̶ arguable and substantiated plans to present to the electorate.
edit on 24-9-2014 by grainofsand because: See the strikethrough text.

posted on Sep, 24 2014 @ 05:12 PM
link   

Well, not quite. My mother and my mother's family all speak Gaelic, and have done for many, many generations. It's been more of a Highland/Lowland split really.

We don't know if some never spoke it at all, because nobody knows what language the Picts spoke -shameful really. Some argue for P-Celtic, although there is a resurgence in the belief that they may have spoken Q-Celtic (Gaelic & Irish Gaelic). Whilst Q-Celtic is similar in sentence structure to other Celtic languages, it is very different in vocabularly. P-Celtic (such as Welsh) elements appear in some of our places names; Aber- is a good example, although not in others. So it's a bit of a conundrum really.

posted on Sep, 24 2014 @ 05:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: beansidhe

Well, not quite. My mother and my mother's family all speak Gaelic, and have done for many, many generations. It's been more of a Highland/Lowland split really.

We don't know if some never spoke it at all, because nobody knows what language the Picts spoke -shameful really. Some argue for P-Celtic, although there is a resurgence in the belief that they may have spoken Q-Celtic (Gaelic & Irish Gaelic). Whilst Q-Celtic is similar in sentence structure to other Celtic languages, it is very different in vocabularly. P-Celtic (such as Welsh) elements appear in some of our places names; Aber- is a good example, although not in others. So it's a bit of a conundrum really.

Yes well exactly..many a language has been spoke across these fair isles, please let none of them express hatred for others..

posted on Sep, 24 2014 @ 05:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: beansidhe

Awesome that you've got family who speak it. There really should be more effort to teach it in Scotland. It's funny, the Welsh language lives on in a much better state than Scottish Gaelic, and the reason is because the wimpy Welsh did so little fighting. The English just left them alone once they became a principality in the 1200s. But we did so much fighting against them, and they always feared rebellion from us, so they were a lot more brutal in trying to wipe out our culture. Fact is, Scotland was the last place conquered in the British Isles.

And about Pictish, some historians even had these theories about it might not have even been Celtic, or that there was a pre-Celtic substratum in the language. I don't know how seriously the idea is taken now, but apparently this comes from some stuff scrawled on our Ogham stones that nobody can decipher. Also, Picts had the extremely unusual and un-Celtic practice of being matrilineal, meaning the inheritance passed down the female line and not the male.
edit on 24-9-2014 by Gododdin because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 24 2014 @ 05:36 PM
link   

the wimpy Welsh did so little fighting

Ah, another lame generalisation based on a lack of historical knowledge.
Good day sir, I leave you to make yourself look silly with emotional and unsubstantiated assertions.

posted on Sep, 24 2014 @ 05:37 PM
link   

Well check out your local community learning and development team within your local council..I will virtually guarantee they'll teach you gaelic..they've been offering free classes to the community for years..no one takes it up though..Hmm..funny that..

posted on Sep, 24 2014 @ 05:37 PM
link   

Yes, this is it, there is respect missing. We can be different and still respect each other, like a real union - a marriage, almost. A good marriage, where we help each other maximise our strengths and allow for differences. It's so hard though, when every nation feels neglected or resentful - and we all do. Britain - we're complicated!

posted on Sep, 24 2014 @ 05:40 PM
link   

the wimpy Welsh did so little fighting

Ah, another lame generalisation based on a lack of historical knowledge.
Good day sir, I leave you to make yourself look silly with emotional and unsubstantiated assertions.

Awww, don't cry. Your final ruler gets the title of "Llewellyn the Last", that speaks enough for itself.

new topics

top topics

<< 12  13  14    16  17  18 >>

join