It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scotland Vote No In Referendum – Selfish, Scared People, Well Done!

page: 17
<< 14  15  16    18  19  20 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 25 2014 @ 02:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: crazy greek

originally posted by: Gododdin

originally posted by: beansidhe
a reply to: destination now

Well, not quite. My mother and my mother's family all speak Gaelic, and have done for many, many generations. It's been more of a Highland/Lowland split really.

We don't know if some never spoke it at all, because nobody knows what language the Picts spoke -shameful really. Some argue for P-Celtic, although there is a resurgence in the belief that they may have spoken Q-Celtic (Gaelic & Irish Gaelic). Whilst Q-Celtic is similar in sentence structure to other Celtic languages, it is very different in vocabularly. P-Celtic (such as Welsh) elements appear in some of our places names; Aber- is a good example, although not in others. So it's a bit of a conundrum really.

Awesome that you've got family who speak it. There really should be more effort to teach it in Scotland. It's funny, the Welsh language lives on in a much better state than Scottish Gaelic, and the reason is because the wimpy Welsh did so little fighting. The English just left them alone once they became a principality in the 1200s. But we did so much fighting against them, and they always feared rebellion from us, so they were a lot more brutal in trying to wipe out our culture. Fact is, Scotland was the last place conquered in the British Isles.

And about Pictish, some historians even had these theories about it might not have even been Celtic, or that there was a pre-Celtic substratum in the language. I don't know how seriously the idea is taken now, but apparently this comes from some stuff scrawled on our Ogham stones that nobody can decipher. Also, Picts had the extremely unusual and un-Celtic practice of being matrilineal, meaning the inheritance passed down the female line and not the male.

It was the Normans not the English that invaded wales

Eh... what? The Norman rule is a part of English history, lol. England didn't become another country just because the nobility and government were reorganized. For the most part, the Normans simply took over the Anglo-Saxon system of rule. Not much changed except the language of the upper class.

The Plantegenets ruled England until the War of Roses, was it a different country up until that time? When the Tudors came to power, did that make England a Welsh country now? When the Stuarts were in power, was England a Scottish country?

Exactly, that comment wasn't even necessary.[SNIP]

edit on 25-9-2014 by Gododdin because: (no reason given)

edit on 9/25/2014 by kosmicjack because: removed ill mannered content

posted on Sep, 25 2014 @ 02:24 PM
link   
a reply to: Gododdin

As I said earlier it was the Normans that invaded Wales

en.m.wikipedia.org...

posted on Sep, 25 2014 @ 02:32 PM
link   

Well, not quite. My mother and my mother's family all speak Gaelic, and have done for many, many generations. It's been more of a Highland/Lowland split really.

We don't know if some never spoke it at all, because nobody knows what language the Picts spoke -shameful really. Some argue for P-Celtic, although there is a resurgence in the belief that they may have spoken Q-Celtic (Gaelic & Irish Gaelic). Whilst Q-Celtic is similar in sentence structure to other Celtic languages, it is very different in vocabularly. P-Celtic (such as Welsh) elements appear in some of our places names; Aber- is a good example, although not in others. So it's a bit of a conundrum really.

Awesome that you've got family who speak it. There really should be more effort to teach it in Scotland. It's funny, the Welsh language lives on in a much better state than Scottish Gaelic, and the reason is because the wimpy Welsh did so little fighting. The English just left them alone once they became a principality in the 1200s. But we did so much fighting against them, and they always feared rebellion from us, so they were a lot more brutal in trying to wipe out our culture. Fact is, Scotland was the last place conquered in the British Isles.

And about Pictish, some historians even had these theories about it might not have even been Celtic, or that there was a pre-Celtic substratum in the language. I don't know how seriously the idea is taken now, but apparently this comes from some stuff scrawled on our Ogham stones that nobody can decipher. Also, Picts had the extremely unusual and un-Celtic practice of being matrilineal, meaning the inheritance passed down the female line and not the male.

Eh... what? The Norman rule is a part of English history, lol. England didn't become another country just because the nobility and government were reorganized. For the most part, the Normans simply took over the Anglo-Saxon system of rule. Not much changed except the language of the upper class.

The Plantegenets ruled England until the War of Roses, was it a different country up until that time? When the Tudors came to power, did that make England a Welsh country now? When the Stuarts were in power, was England a Scottish country?

Exactly, that comment wasn't even necessary. You're just just a smartass. Don't mistake yourself for someone who has something to say.

A free of charge history lesson for you.

The first conflict between Scotland and England was when The Scots invaded England in 937

en.wikipedia.org...

So for all you whinging about The English, it was The Scots who kicked off the hostilities between the two countries.

posted on Sep, 25 2014 @ 02:32 PM
link   

As I said earlier it was the Normans that invaded Wales

en.m.wikipedia.org...

I don't really understand what your getting at. Normans also ruled Scotland for a time, did that make it a different country?

I guess it was the Saxe-Coburgs who won both World Wars then, not the British.

Like I said, don't mistake yourself for someone who has anything to say.
edit on 25-9-2014 by Gododdin because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 25 2014 @ 02:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: alldaylong

Exactly, that comment wasn't even necessary. You're just just a smartass. Don't mistake yourself for someone who has something to say.

The first conflict between Scotland and England was when The Scots invaded England in 937

en.wikipedia.org...

So for all you whinging about The English, it was The Scots who kicked off the hostilities between the two countries.

That's right, we were enemies then, and enemies we shall remain.

posted on Sep, 25 2014 @ 02:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: alldaylong

en.wikipedia.org...

That's right, we were enemies then, and enemies we shall remain.

You mean the Scots where the aggressors ?

At long last you have come clean and admitted it.. It's only taken you 17 pages.

posted on Sep, 25 2014 @ 02:47 PM
link   
In all this talk of the origins of this, that and the other...

I wonder if Orkney and Shetland should return to Norway. Clearly, as shown by the Referendum, a massive proportion did not want Scottish independence. Are the Islanders Scottish?

Regards

posted on Sep, 25 2014 @ 02:51 PM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Sep, 25 2014 @ 02:56 PM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

(post by Gododdin removed for a serious terms and conditions violation)

posted on Sep, 27 2014 @ 06:28 AM
link   

Actually, when the Normans took over, the entire system of Governance was changed, including but not limited to the feudal system which had existed on the continent but had no place in Anglo-Saxon England, effectively enslaving all the common folk of the land to their liege lord, which was not how it was done under the Anglo-Saxon system,

And that's just for starters. Of course, this is off topic, but if you're going to start bringing history into the conversation at least make sure you're not talking bollocks.

posted on Sep, 30 2014 @ 07:10 AM
link   
As a Yes voter all I can do now is sit back and watch as Westminster tears itself apart trying to deal with the "West Lothian Question". Hopefully it will get so complicated that they will come to realise it would have been a lot easier to let Scotland go. Ok so lets do it the hard way. lol

Another thing that might come from this is that Labour is finished in Scotland. The plan is to try and oust every labour MP and MSP and replace with a pro indy politician. If that happens Scotland can simply declare itself independent without need to ask Westminster.

Does anyone know if Gordon Brown and Alistair Darling are ok, just not seen either of them since the referendum. Suddenly gone all quiet after the lies trotted out.

posted on Sep, 30 2014 @ 07:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: bigyin
As a Yes voter all I can do now is sit back and watch as Westminster tears itself apart trying to deal with the "West Lothian Question". Hopefully it will get so complicated that they will come to realise it would have been a lot easier to let Scotland go. Ok so lets do it the hard way. lol

Another thing that might come from this is that Labour is finished in Scotland. The plan is to try and oust every labour MP and MSP and replace with a pro indy politician. If that happens Scotland can simply declare itself independent without need to ask Westminster.

Does anyone know if Gordon Brown and Alistair Darling are ok, just not seen either of them since the referendum. Suddenly gone all quiet after the lies trotted out.

Well after the referendum result, it showed The Shetland Islands want to remain part of The U.K.

So if and when Scottish independence arrives, Scotland can forget all about North Sea Oil in Shetland waters.

Good luck with that.

posted on Sep, 30 2014 @ 07:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: bigyin

The Majority voted No.... accept it and move on!

Korg.

posted on Sep, 30 2014 @ 07:48 AM
link   
a reply to: bigyin

It's going to be a longer road to travel, but all the sweeter when it arrives! Nope, not heard from Brown or Darling much, they must be too busy to worry about Scotland now.

You raise a good point about Labour, and this would have been unbelievable maybe 10 years ago. It's amazing how many No voters I've spoken with who are now planning to vote SNP. All they lacked was a clear road map, and with that, there will be many more yes voters if/when there is another referendum.

The 45 aren't going anywhere, in fact they're getting bigger.

posted on Sep, 30 2014 @ 08:04 AM
link   
Ron Paul Explains Why The "Scottish Referendum Gives Reasons To Be Hopeful"

The Scottish referendum result has done little to discourage other secessionist movements spreading across Europe, in countries ranging from Norway to Italy. Just days after the Scottish referendum, the people of Catalonia voted to hold their own referendum measuring popular support for secession from Spain.

Support for secession is also growing in America. According to a recent poll, one in four Americans would support their state seceding from the federal government. Movements and organizations advocating that state governments secede from the federal government, that local governments secede from state governments, or that local governments secede from both the federal and state governments, are springing up around the country. This year, over one million Californians signed a ballot access petition in support of splitting California into six states. While the proposal did not meet the requirements necessary to appe

More here.....

Ron Paul Institute

posted on Sep, 30 2014 @ 08:41 AM
link   
A picture Speaks a thousand words!

See the Ballot Paper?

This ballot paper was supposed to have identifying numbers on the back identifying you to the vote. Funny how when I voted in Aberdeenshire there was nothing on the back of my ballot. No ID was asked either. Just your address.

Why? Because they are easier to cheat.

Notice also unlike any other electoral vote there were no Exit Polls done? Can't do them while your busy fixing a vote can you?!

There's even CCTV footage of people blatantly mixing Yes votes in the No vote piles. Why aren't they investigated? Who rules the Police? MI5 and Buckingham Palace!

How about the Fire Alarm going off at the Dundee counting office? Everyone was evacuated except for a few shady characters in suits! Hmmm!

After the voting and counting was done there were bags in bins full of yes vote ballots found. That looks a bit suspect to me especially since ALL the Ballot papers were YES votes. Not one was a NO vote!

There is lot's of evidence from Witnesses, Videos etc that point to the vote being rigged. But as usual the Mainstream Media has not reported any of it. Course they won't. Their asses are owned by the Royal and Political Elite that would stand to lose a lot if Scotland went on it's own!

posted on Sep, 30 2014 @ 08:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: Hilux1996
A picture Speaks a thousand words!

The fact that the YES crowd post their disgusting and insulting thoughts so readily and don't accept the democratically voted decision, speaks volumes about the kind of people that voted YES.

What a bunch of ill informed, uneducated and ill mannered people!

Korg.

edit on 30-9-2014 by Korg Trinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 30 2014 @ 09:19 AM
link   
a reply to: Korg Trinity

Doesn't matter which way the vote went. The fact of the matter is it looks rigged. A bit more looking rigged than the usual British and American Elections.

Talk about ill informed, uneducated and ill mannered!

You don't know the Monarchy very well do you?

Why would this vote be rigged?

Oil?

Scotland is the largest producer of oil in the European Union, accounting for 36 percent of Europe's total oil and natural gas production in 2010. While the private corporations that profit from Scotland's oil wealth have consistently played down the extent of Scotland's remaining hydrocarbon resources, the Scottish government's oil and gas analytical bulletin of March 2013 estimated that there was £1.5 trillion in wholesale value left in North Sea oil and gas. With new oil fields being discovered regularly, this is likely a very conservative figure. While Norway, a country that discovered and nationalized hydrocarbons in their North Sea sector around the same time as the UK, has put $893 billion away for a 'rainy day' (the world's largest sovereign wealth fund), the City of London has been squandering Scotland's oil and gas wealth

Oil indeed plays a big part. That's one of the reasons the UK and US are creating illegal Wars in the Middle East and Africa.

Were the UK to lose that single source of oil revenue, its remaining economy would be in even greater jeopardy than it already is.

The collaterization of oil reserves alone provides a tremendous amount of financial muscle that the City of London would otherwise lack. In view of how much the UK has suffered economically since the Crash of 2008, it's clear that the Crown could not weather another setback like Scottish independence.

It's not just the Oil that the Royal Political Elite would lose out on. 91% of the Fresh Water in Britain comes from Scotland. The Whiskey Industry is big bucks too.

There is a long list of enterprises and investments they would lose. That is too much for them to lose.

And by the way a "democratically voted decision" as you call it has never existed in Britain in any of the past elections. More fool you for even thinking that the people of Britain have a choice as to who rules over us!

posted on Sep, 30 2014 @ 09:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: Hilux1996
a reply to: Korg Trinity

Doesn't matter which way the vote went. The fact of the matter is it looks rigged. A bit more looking rigged than the usual British and American Elections.

No to you it looks rigged because you voted yes and the majority voted no.... could it not just be that the majority of people saw sense and you are now looking for any way possible to justify your departure from the majority's view?

Why is it so hard for you YES'ers to accept the verdict and move on?

Korg.

new topics

top topics

<< 14  15  16    18  19  20 >>

join