It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Polls Close In Historic Scottish Referendum

page: 13
<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 12:15 AM
link   
a reply to: TechniXcality

No sides now we are united.
We are Great Britain.
Together we stand and a big up yours to all the people who wished our great nation split up.
Happy as a pig in # I am.

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 12:18 AM
link   
a reply to: boymonkey74

Can hang the two fish now?.

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 12:25 AM
link   

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 12:27 AM
link   
a reply to: woogleuk

Huzzah! .
Just watched salmon...sick as a chip
Hang him!

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 12:39 AM
link   
It's official now, they voted "NO".

It's a big defeat not only for Scott's, but also for Catalans, Flemming's, and Kosovo .. oh, mistake, Kosovo fitted into the agenda, sorry.

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 01:06 AM
link   

The union stands! God or something bless you and you'res.

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 01:15 AM
link   
a reply to: TechniXcality

Just glad I have awoken to a union of my favourite countries still.
Iam Great British and that has always included scotland.
My national identity remains intact and now we can move forward as a united kingdom.
Huzzah!

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 01:22 AM
link   
Kind of sad how all the scaremongering campaigns by Big Business and the British Government paid off.

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 01:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: Konduit
Kind of sad how all the scaremongering campaigns by Big Business and the British Government paid off.

I am ashamed of my countrymen.

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 01:31 AM
link   

You mean the realistic outcome of separation don't you?

First time in my life I have ever seen the Tories do/say something useful.

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 01:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: midicon

I am ashamed of my countrymen.

I'm maybe not ashamed, but definitely shocked. We are clearly a nation of complete submissives, who allow ourselves to be swayed by the political system, big business, and perhaps anyone else in a suit with a posh accent. The vote result is nowhere near the sentiment on the ground as far as I can tell, and there are many people who hold the opinion that the voting game is rigged. The 45/55 split just announced is too predictable and too comfortable. There is no way they will let all that oil revenue out of their sticky fingers, and they have to have somewhere to park their nukes after all.

The only way Scotland will ever get independence is with heavy artillery and a moat full of monsters.

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 01:56 AM
link   
I see the spineless weasels came out in force. Pathetic, I'm ashamed to be Scottish.

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 02:04 AM
link   
a reply to: caitlinfae

Oh please, can't people just accept the result? If there was any indication of any kind of vote rigging there would be uproar from the Yes camp, but there isn't. I suppose you would have been perfectly fine with a Yes vote if it was 55-45%?

It's clear, from people actually believing this, that they don't know how votes are organised and monitored. This isn't Zimbabwe or North Korea - it's pretty impossible to rig a vote in the UK without being noticed. Each party can select monitors, not to mention the Electoral Commission and it's Returning Officers and the normal folk selected to count the votes. If any one of them had any doubts, you can bet they would have brought it up.

With a record turnout, you should be pleased that this engaged people who were previously uninterested in politics and democracy has won, regardless of the result. It has also galvanised constitutional change, with a second reading for Scotland's new powers to be held on 27th March next year and the other Nations set to get changes as well, not least England which has actually been the poor relation in terms of "home rule" and representation.

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 02:46 AM
link   
So they voted to remain a part of the UK.

Goddamnit. We just can't get rid of them!
(For those who don't understand British humour, this is a joke, and not serious).

Good decision, brothers and sisters.

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 03:25 AM
link   
They may have settled the vote but they haven't settled the issue of how power is distributed in the UK.

One commentator has suggested that what might eventually emerge out of this is a form of federalism in the UK. It looks like the aftermath of the vote will be as interesting as the vote itself despite the "No" having won.

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 03:55 AM
link   
a reply to: ipsedixit

Good - this has been needed for quite some time, especially for England which has been the only nation in the UK to have other's be able to vote on Laws which only affect it.

It is telling, however, that Labour is against this because they cannot rely on a majority in England alone, so Party politics is going to come into play where it is most likely England will get the short end of the deal while the others get improved powers.

At least though, they are looking at an answer to the "West Lothian Question", unlike under Labour when Lord Irvine (A Scottish Labour Peer) famously said

"The best way to answer the West Lothian Question is to not ask it...."

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 04:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: TechniXcality
a reply to: SearchLightsInc
Why do you support your side?

What kind of question is that??

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 04:10 AM
link   
Maybe the "no" vote will lose next time.

The "country code top-level domain" for Scotland would have to be ".ce", since all the letters that could be placed after the letter S, namely, C, O, T, L, A, N and D, are already being used in the codes that start with an S ...

.sc/Seychelles
.so/Somalia
.st/Sao Tomé and Príncipe (little wavy line over the letter A in "Sao", not to be found among the ASCII characters, sorry)
.sl/Sierra Leone
.sa/Saudi Arabia
.sn/Senegal
.sd/Sudan

... so they'd have to use letters that hint at the Roman name for the region, which was "Caledonia", and the only second letter available to be placed after the C is the letter E ...

.ca/Canada
.cl/Chile
.cd/Democratic Republic of the Congo
.co/Colombia
.cn/People's Republic of China
.ci/Côte d'Ivoire

I was curious about this because on August 30 I placed a flag counter at my blogs and the device places the country code to the right of the flag, so I had looked around for the complete list of the codes, because nobody (I guess) knows all of the countries and their flags and codes.

The flag counter is easy to install. Everyone should display one at his/her own website. It's fun to see how the flags start to show up. The flag counter people have their own site and a forum where one can ask people from all over the world to visit one's blog so that one can impress visitors with a big collection of flags, but this is cheating and I'll never do it. It's best to wait and see how many flags one's blog can fetch spontaneously. As the counter fills up it starts to looks like the "salad" on the chest of the generals (see alldaylong's avatar).

Twenty days have gone by and the counter at my most frequently visited blog already has 23 flags, which is surprising. My two most exotic flags are the ones belonging to the Philippines and Finland, but the flag I want the most is the Antarctica flag. "Antarctica" (".aq", because in French it's Antarctique) is everything below 60 degrees south, according to the Antarctic Treaty, and its code can be used by any country with a base on the icecap down there.

Does anyone know whether or not this flag appears in someone's flag counter, and how good the connection to the Net is over there? The codes are handled by the Internet Assigned Numbers Authority. I'll see if I can send them a message, and if they reply I'll tell about it here somewhere.

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 04:30 AM
link   
The No Won?....NA... Democracy Lost.

Never has there been such a one sided view by the media or influenced by Politicians lies and deceit like we have seen in Scotland this past year.

We will remember each and every one of them.
edit on 19-9-2014 by Soloprotocol because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 04:33 AM
link   
This campaign has opened up a real can of worms for the government at Westminster. The promises they have made to Scotland have led to requests, if not demands from other parts of the union for similar devolution of power. One Yes supporter in a video was shouting, "It's not over yet!" and he is right.

It's only starting.

I would like to see a situation where the Scots stay within the union, and are happy there. I think it can be done but it might mean the UK may ultimately have to go to a system of federalism. We have federalism in Canada and the provinces have considerable power in their provincial legislatures.

I think it would be impossible for Scotland to have independence and the Pound too. That would be a masquerade of independence. The rest of the UK would never go for it.

The whole EU question is one that must have the UK speaking with one voice as well. It seems to me that a separate Scotland with a separate and possibly different policy on the EU would be a very trying situation for everyone.

The UK must find a way to make and keep all parts of the union happy. The day to day realities of the dissolution of the UK would be very cumbersome I think, despite the emotional satisfaction it might give to Scotland or even England when it comes down to it.
edit on 19-9-2014 by ipsedixit because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join