It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Polls Close In Historic Scottish Referendum

page: 14
<< 11  12  13    15  16 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 04:55 AM
link   
a reply to: Soloprotocol

So your side lost and therefore "democracy lost"?

But had your side won, democracy would have won, right?

Sour grapes anyone?

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 05:02 AM
link   
Best possible result for Cameron. Scotland stays in the Union and the other nations are to get devolved powers - thereby almost handing England to the Conservative Party, certainly for the foreseeable future. Devolved powers = bad news for Labour numbers at Westminster.

That aside, well done Scotland for turning out in such huge numbers and for making a decision.

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 05:05 AM
link   
Scotland, What have you done!

What have you done for the future of Your children?

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 05:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: boymonkey74
a reply to: boymonkey74

Can hang the two fish now?.

Only a quarter Welsh but a bird of my word.
I'll hold your coat when they stray off the promises, MB

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 05:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: stumason

So your side lost and therefore "democracy lost"?

But had your side won, democracy would have won, right?

Sour grapes anyone?

Of course democracy lost. It wasn't the result he wanted, therefore democracy lost! Democracy will always lose if its not the result wanted.

I notice that they are being entirely predictable, and demanding a recount. Serious sour grapes.

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 05:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: TechniXcality
a reply to: xavi1000

Independence, is the only way of the free world and cultures must be cherished and appreciated.

So if Alaska or texas wanted to leave the USA you would be cool on that?

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 05:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: Snarl
The route to freedom is through the Mexican/US border. Ya'll feel free to join us. Bring your guns.

It was a good try!!

Not that BS about the US being the land of the free , you dont really believe that #?
edit on 19-9-2014 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 06:01 AM
link   
a reply to: Flavian

Notice how Labour are now resisting any kind of change with regards to England, but are happy to hand over whatever powers the other nations demand without question, precisely because of what you said. Labour, in England, only holds sway in the cities. They did the same when they were in Government, constantly rebuffing any notion of an English Parliament with regards to the "West Lothian question" and not out of fear of the UK, but for party political reasons.

Had we had an "English Parliament" in 2005, we wouldn't have Tuition Fee's in the UK - passed with a majority of 41 (I think) when Labour had 49 Scots MP's who all voted in favour of the fee's - at least not until 2010 when the Tories got in anyway. Not that I have a major problem with tuition fee's anyway, but that is a good example of how Scot's MP's vote on English only matters.

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 06:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: crazyewok

a reply to: xavi1000

Independence, is the only way of the free world and cultures must be cherished and appreciated.

So if Alaska or texas wanted to leave the USA you would be cool on that?

If that is what the people in a state wanted and voted for who is anyone to say otherwise?

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 06:22 AM
link   
a reply to: AllSourceIntel

I may be wrong, but the only State in the US which has the right to secede - I think though that all the States lost a lot of their powers post Civil War, which is what it was all about and nothing to do with "ending slavery" which they are taught these days.

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 06:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: alldaylong

originally posted by: amazing

originally posted by: InvisibleOwl
a reply to: alldaylong

I call it you reaching. He clearly stated that if Native Americans had a referendum, he would support it.

I am curious why you care what he posts. You post in threads that do not relate to your country; why can't he?

You just don't get it do you >

An American talking about Independence is a complete joke.

Why is that? Explain.

How many country can you list where the U.S. has politically interfered ? Instead of leaving those " independent " countries to their own devices.

I don't think i need to say more.

You have got to be joking , alldaylong you just went on about how we should be staying with the united kingdom of great britian in the other referendum threads, how many countries did the British empire control that were already independent ?

Your a blatant hypocrit yourself , and your gallus to call others a hypocrit
and here you are telling an american whose country is founded on independence and the democratic process that he cant have an opinion on international politics simply because of his current governments foreign policy.

edit on 19-9-2014 by sapien82 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 06:39 AM
link   
it was a win for democracy because so many people turned out to vote, but it was a fail for democracy because we still all have to deal with the un-elected house of lords.

Cameron will now have to make good on his promises of devolved powers to Scotland and if doing so will tear the tory party in two actually just cameron will be forced to step down.

Hopefully real labour will come back and run in opposition to new labour and their neo liberalism and we will have some balance in the political spectrum in westminster.

I just have a real fear that history is repeating itself , we get a referendum on independence , we lose and a tory government tears Scotland a new arsehole

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 06:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: stumason
a reply to: AllSourceIntel

I may be wrong, but the only State in the US which has the right to secede - I think though that all the States lost a lot of their powers post Civil War, which is what it was all about and nothing to do with "ending slavery" which they are taught these days.

The State you were going to mention is Texas, and they are the only State that explicitly has it stated in their Constitution that they reserve the right to secede. The belief that Texas is the only State can do this is fallacy and misinformation. In reality, any State can secede if they really want to, none of them are glued to the Union or forced to it with an iron fist. To say a State cannot secede is to say the U.S. system itself is flawed, democracy, self-determination, State's rights, and all that.

There are movements for autonomy and independence all around the world. In the U.S. there are parts of Maine, Colorado, and California that want to become their own State's, Texas, Alaska, and Hawaii have a decent movement of secession ... Hawaii actually having a legal basis for being occupied and illegally annexed by the U.S. as it was an actual recognized sovereign nation back in the day that the U.S. illegally strong armed its Royalty to give up its power.

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 07:20 AM
link   
a reply to: sapien82

Well it has to be noted, the UK isn't a democracy anyway. It's technically a Constitutional Monarchy.

The Monarch defers the ruling of the country to a democratically elected government (Parliament), but retains the power of veto. That is to say, the monarch cannot create new laws, only Parliament can do that, but the monarch can block any proposed law with the power of veto.

As for the House of Lords, yes they are not elected. They are selected. However mechanisms exist whereby in certain circumstances (mostly related to national emergency) the government can bypass the House of Lords entirely. The House of Lords acts as a check against unfair legislation being passed by Parliament, with the exception that they can't even veto them, just delay them.

Given that the only branch of the UK legislature that can propose and create new laws, is entirely elected by the common people, how is this undemocratic?

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 07:21 AM
link   
Well done Scotland, it seems most of you do have brains after all.

Would have been a death sentance going out a lone.

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 07:22 AM
link   

Hahahahaha, you mad bro?

Yesterday was democracy at it's best, you are just clearly a very bad loser.

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 08:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: sapien82

originally posted by: amazing

originally posted by: InvisibleOwl
a reply to: alldaylong

I call it you reaching. He clearly stated that if Native Americans had a referendum, he would support it.

I am curious why you care what he posts. You post in threads that do not relate to your country; why can't he?

You just don't get it do you >

An American talking about Independence is a complete joke.

Why is that? Explain.

How many country can you list where the U.S. has politically interfered ? Instead of leaving those " independent " countries to their own devices.

I don't think i need to say more.

You have got to be joking , alldaylong you just went on about how we should be staying with the united kingdom of great britian in the other referendum threads, how many countries did the British empire control that were already independent ?

Your a blatant hypocrit yourself , and your gallus to call others a hypocrit
and here you are telling an american whose country is founded on independence and the democratic process that he cant have an opinion on international politics simply because of his current governments foreign policy.

Have you just come out of a coma ?

The British Empire fell apart after WW II. The U.S. government are still poking their dirty fingers into sovereign countries affairs, right NOW as we speak.

America and Americans need to get their own house in order before they pass comment on how other countries should be governed.

There lies the true hypocrisy.

I will put you onto " The Sour Grapes " list

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 08:51 AM
link   
a reply to: crazyewok

Im in Texas sounds great to me

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 08:54 AM
link   

a reply to: crazyewok

Im in Texas sounds great to me

Well then more power to Texas

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 09:33 AM
link   
a reply to: stumason

spot on sir... Texas was founded by scots... you may all go to hell I will go to texas...

and you can bet your boots if there was secession vote my check would be in the yes box. free from a corrupt government with the opportunity to make a better one? who wouldn’t want that? well aside from the obvious...

new topics

top topics

<< 11  12  13    15  16 >>

join