It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Polls Close In Historic Scottish Referendum

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 18 2014 @ 04:37 PM
link   
I thought I'd start a thread on the Scottish referendum, since the polls have closed and votes are now being tallied. You can follow events in real time on the Sky News website, where they have an interactive map showing all the districts voting and will tabulate results as they come in.

Time in the UK is 22:36 at the moment. (17:36 Toronto time)

news.sky.com...

Scotland Decides: What To Expect, When
Updated: 8:01pm UK, Thursday 18 September 2014

. . . .

10pm Polls close and counting gets under way across Scotland's 32 local authorities.

Throughout the day, Sky News correspondents will be reporting from Scotland as voters go to the polls. This afternoon, political editor Faisal Islam reports from Holyrood, Edinburgh, handing over to Scotland bureau chief James Matthews at about 3pm. There will also be live updates on our digital platforms. Our interactive console provides statistics on all of Scotland's 32 local authorities, and as results are declared they'll be displayed here in real time. Just go to skynews.com, Sky News for iPad, or use our smartphone apps.

Friday:

2am First seven councils expected to declare their results: East Lothian, Inverclyde, Moray, North Lanarkshire, the Orkney Islands, Perth and Kinross and the Western Isles.

2.30am Clackmannanshire votes declared.

3am Aberdeenshire, Angus, Dumfries and Galloway, Dundee, East Ayrshire, East Renfrewshire, Falkirk, Renfrewshire, South Lanarkshire, Stirling and West Dunbartonshire to declare - that will bring counting to just under half the votes to be counted.

3.30am Midlothian, Shetland, South Ayreshire, Argyll, West Lothian and East Dunbartonshire to declare.

4am Fife and Highland to declare.

4.30am North Ayrshire will declare votes.

5am Declarations expected from the Scottish Borders, Edinburgh and Glasgow. Final outcome may now be clear.

6am Aberdeen will be the last to declare.

7am: Chief counting officer Mary Pitcaithly expected to announce result from the Royal Highland Centre in Ingliston outside Edinburgh.

It should be a very interesting evening.

posted on Sep, 18 2014 @ 04:38 PM
link   
I agree that it's going to be a very interesting evening... whatever happens, it'll be a historic night, that's for sure.

S&F!

posted on Sep, 18 2014 @ 04:43 PM
link   
Cheers for the Thread...be up all night so the link is most useful.. S&F

posted on Sep, 18 2014 @ 04:46 PM
link   
a reply to: LukeDAP

The format on the Sky News website looks good, but if anyone comes up with a better website, please give us a link.

I personally think that the "Naw" vote will prevail in this. I don't even think it will be as close as has been predicted, but I'm just a distant observer. It is definitely one of the most interesting elections, not just in Scotland's long and distinguished history but in world history itself.

posted on Sep, 18 2014 @ 04:48 PM
link   
As I just said in another thread.

The international world stage is as brutal as prison shower room and if Scotland drop the soap and vote yes it will end up the EU bitch.

Scotland will just end up another financially broke, barely 1st world country, political insignificant with no bargaining power in Brussels tied to the brutal Euro currency You think Westminster was bad? Wait till the Germans are through with you!
edit on 18-9-2014 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 18 2014 @ 04:51 PM
link   
a reply to: ipsedixit

As a Canuck, as you are as well, we should find this interesting going through this twice in our lives. I agree with you. I think the "No" vote will win as well. People understand that the grass might not be greener. Status Quo better than "unknown". Then again, they ARE Scottish.

+3 more 
posted on Sep, 18 2014 @ 04:52 PM
link   
Like Mark Twain said "If voting actually made any difference they wouldnt let us do it."

Of course this vote is going to fail. Thats the way the powers want it. But it makes everybody feel good to go out and try to change the world right??? Wrong. Now go back to work slaves. You belong to the queen.

posted on Sep, 18 2014 @ 04:55 PM
link   
a reply to: intrepid

It will be very interesting to watch news footage of the "man in the street" kind in places like Glasgow and Edinburgh, or really anywhere in Scotland. I don't know if exit polls have been conducted at all. I haven't seen any mention of them.

You referenced Canada's own experience with this sort of thing. I know that in Quebec, regions like the Saguenay were and probably still are much more separatist than places like Montreal. I haven't heard much reportage on that sort of division within Scottish society.

posted on Sep, 18 2014 @ 04:59 PM
link   
Here's a link to the live BBC coverage of the vote:

www.bbc.com...

posted on Sep, 18 2014 @ 04:59 PM
link   
Gonna be odd watching the weather without Scotland.
I hope they stay.
Doesn't matter we will invade in a year and the people will cheer.

posted on Sep, 18 2014 @ 05:01 PM
link   

Good for you Scotland I support you and your independence.

posted on Sep, 18 2014 @ 05:02 PM
link   

The Highlands are full of English escaping their own country. Labour di their best to make sure that every city become as multicultural as London. If tonight isn't a Yes vote, I doubt if they will ever have the demographics to want to try again.
edit on 18-9-2014 by stormcell because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 18 2014 @ 05:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: TechniXcality

Good for you Scotland I support you and your independence.

Maybe you should support independent nations for Native Americans also.

Or does that not suit your agenda ?

posted on Sep, 18 2014 @ 05:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: ipsedixit
a reply to: intrepid

It will be very interesting to watch news footage of the "man in the street" kind in places like Glasgow and Edinburgh, or really anywhere in Scotland. I don't know if exit polls have been conducted at all. I haven't seen any mention of them.

You referenced Canada's own experience with this sort of thing. I know that in Quebec, regions like the Saguenay were and probably still are much more separatist than places like Montreal. I haven't heard much reportage on that sort of division within Scottish society.

FWIW exit polls show "NO" so far. 54% - 46%. Who knows how accurate they are.

LINK

posted on Sep, 18 2014 @ 05:04 PM
link   
a reply to: stormcell

. . . . and on the BBC, one of the spokespersons for the "Aye" side, appears to be of East Asian or Middle Eastern descent. That's the world we live in. Being from Toronto, the international city, I'm fine with that.

edit on 18-9-2014 by ipsedixit because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 18 2014 @ 05:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: howmuch4another

FWIW exit polls show "NO" so far. 54% - 46%. Who knows how accurate they are.

LINK

That's the split being quoted on the BBC too.

posted on Sep, 18 2014 @ 05:08 PM
link   
a reply to: alldaylong

We've had this conversation brother, I admit without a doubt that is a blight on American history and if they wished to form a nation I would support it. I am only a third generation American I feel I have a right to quietly support.
edit on 18-9-2014 by TechniXcality because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 18 2014 @ 05:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: TechniXcality

We've had this conversation brother, I admit wiabout a doubt that is a blight on American history and if they wished to form a nation I would support it. I am only a third generation American I feel I have a right to quietly support.

Then shouldn't you be more concerned about the injustices in your own country, rather than being concerned if Scotland becomes independent or not ?

posted on Sep, 18 2014 @ 05:12 PM
link   

Do you only comment on topics that pertain to your own country?

posted on Sep, 18 2014 @ 05:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: boymonkey74
Gonna be odd watching the weather without Scotland.
I hope they stay.
Doesn't matter we will invade in a year and the people will cheer.

Good luck with that, everyone knows the English are soft.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join