It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Will an independant Scotland be part of NATO, UN treatise. Have a Military?

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 16 2014 @ 01:21 PM
link   
a reply to: ScepticScot

O it's all very clear, just no spoken about by the SNP, if fact the deputy leader of the SNP really pived the islanders off by saying they were just Islands and not a nation. What a great way to get folk on side.

posted on Sep, 16 2014 @ 01:22 PM
link   
a reply to: Soloprotocol
Irrelevant, but yes if a majority of Tasmanians wanted it. That is exactly what's happening in lil ole Scotland the day after tomorrow. I presume you support democracy.
Either way, in any cozy deal with the Shetlands, Scotland has no chance negotiating with international bodies it is not a member of. Even down to the junior civil service level everyone's mandate will be 'Scotland is foreign so best deal for us'.

I support the UK government to always negotiate in the harshest legal manner against any foreign country, including Scotland if that is what the people there choose.

posted on Sep, 16 2014 @ 01:23 PM
link   
a reply to: midicon

And what has annoyed most English is the Anglophobia that the very vocal minority have been spurting. Unfortunately, he who shouts loudest and all that.

posted on Sep, 16 2014 @ 01:23 PM
link   
It's a case of we'll have to see, I guess.

posted on Sep, 16 2014 @ 01:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: Soloprotocol

originally posted by: MrSpad

originally posted by: nonspecific
There are Countries out there with no Army, Some of similar population.

Some have agreements with other countries, Costa rica's constitution made it illigal to have an army unless in times of war.

Not to mention Scotland is not getting into NATO without some bascie ability to defend itself. Only Iceland has that exception.

And why would Scotland be treated any different to Iceland. We have a lot more to offer than Iceland. a Lot More!

Because Iceland was a founding member with a very small population and at the time poor as well. And on top of that the US took reposability for Icelands defense by stationing forces there while Icelanders could serve in Norways military. Today if Albania is expected to have a military that meets NATO standards then so will Scotland. Unless of course Scotland comes to some sort of agreement with the UK that it will be resposble for Scotlands defense and position is forces there and Scots would join the UKs military. Of course that would again make the entire idea of being independent pointless. If Scotland becomes a new nation the last it wants to do is start off depending on everybody else for eveything.

posted on Sep, 16 2014 @ 01:26 PM
link   
a reply to: flammadraco
What do you mean the quote you posted was from the Snp?
Also anything else on the that act of parliament you seem to think relates to the Indy referendum?

posted on Sep, 16 2014 @ 01:27 PM
link   
a reply to: grainofsand
You and the rest here are dreaming if you think for one minute we will give up one inch of Scottish soil to England or any other foreign country for that matter...It will be defended to the hilt, with much blood shed.

posted on Sep, 16 2014 @ 01:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: grainofsand
Irrelevant, but yes if a majority of Tasmanians wanted it. That is exactly what's happening in lil ole Scotland the day after tomorrow. I presume you support democracy.
Either way, in any cozy deal with the Shetlands, Scotland has no chance negotiating with international bodies it is not a member of. Even down to the junior civil service level everyone's mandate will be 'Scotland is foreign so best deal for us'.

I support the UK government to always negotiate in the harshest legal manner against any foreign country, including Scotland if that is what the people there choose.

Why would you support the harshest legal negotiating as opposed to a positive mutual agreement benifiting both nations. This is a genuine question.

posted on Sep, 16 2014 @ 01:33 PM
link   

I concur that the opt out clause is not longer relevant, "bad me". That however does not deviate from the possibility that the Islanders could decide to remain part of the UK as agreed by even the SNP.

posted on Sep, 16 2014 @ 01:34 PM
link   
I hope that would not happen if the Shetland islanders were to have a democratic vote regarding their governance, as Scotland as a whole is soon to enjoy.
If Shetland agrees to a sweeter deal with the UK, then as a democracy supporter you would surely agree to it?
If you didn't agree to it though, the vastly superior defensive resources of the UK would of course protect the Shetland Islands if they requested such assistance.
I would support such assistance.

posted on Sep, 16 2014 @ 01:35 PM
link   

You and the rest here are dreaming if you think for one minute we will give up one inch of Scottish soil to England or any other foreign country for that matter...It will be defended to the hilt, with much blood shed.

You really have issues, now you're going to war with us. Pathetic!
edit on 16.9.2014 by flammadraco because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 16 2014 @ 01:37 PM
link   
a reply to: nonspecific
Not having a go at grain who often has very good posts in my opinion however there does seem a rose tinted misty eyed longing for empire that comes out in some posters whenever discussing independence. The reality is both nations would be best served by reasonable negotiations.

posted on Sep, 16 2014 @ 01:40 PM
link   
I was senior civil service for a few years, perhaps I was indoctrinated to get the best result for the nation every time, who knows. Why would I not want my nations government to fight for the best deal every time, and vociferously?

posted on Sep, 16 2014 @ 01:41 PM
link   
a reply to: flammadraco
There is also the possibility that everywhere north of the m25 realises that they would be better served in a modern democratic country and vote to come with us. Both are about as likely.

posted on Sep, 16 2014 @ 01:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: flammadraco

You really have issues, now you're going to war with us. Pathetic!

Just like if you or anyone else for that matter came into my house and started taking my stuff or threaten to take food from the mouth of my family...someone would be leaving with a sever limp..and i doubt it would be me.

posted on Sep, 16 2014 @ 01:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: ScepticScot
The reality is both nations would be best served by reasonable negotiations.

True, but in practice that never happens in international negotiations, it is pretty much always about who has the best hand of cards.

posted on Sep, 16 2014 @ 01:44 PM
link   

You're bordering on racism mate. Why do you hate the English so much? You're so off topic now you basically sound like a wining 12 year old. With the knowledge of a 12 year old.

posted on Sep, 16 2014 @ 01:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: grainofsand
I was senior civil service for a few years, perhaps I was indoctrinated to get the best result for the nation every time, who knows. Why would I not want my nations government to fight for the best deal every time, and vociferously?

I think it may be your choice of words which caused me concern. Words like harsh and fight make your comments seem oppresive. I belive I understand your context correctly now.

posted on Sep, 16 2014 @ 01:45 PM
link   
I don't believe international relations are a zero sum game. It is perfectly possible to reach agreements that benefit all parties.

posted on Sep, 16 2014 @ 01:45 PM
link   
Shetland and other outlying Island are not Independent to Scotland..they are a part of Scotland. not England, not Ireland, Not Wales..Scottish.

new topics

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join