It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Will an independant Scotland be part of NATO, UN treatise. Have a Military?

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 16 2014 @ 11:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: midicon
a reply to: Soloprotocol

They would have to drag an apology from my cold dead independent hands.

Do you actually know what this apology is for?

posted on Sep, 16 2014 @ 11:55 AM
link   
Seems presumptuous of any separate Scotland to expect a separate UK to respect what you claim as Scottish waters. I would not, especially seeing as your not in NATO, not in the EU, really have no military to to force your will, no allies, no protectorate agreements, no Satellite or communications network beyond your island, no foreign holdings. UK could claim the waters as their own and the world would probably respect that. USA, Russia, China and India have no reason to side with Scotland.

Got nothing really.

I not taking sides but from US it seems like independence is one way ticket to 3rd world Nation status.
edit on 16-9-2014 by Xeven because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 16 2014 @ 11:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: nonspecific

originally posted by: Soloprotocol

originally posted by: nonspecific

originally posted by: flammadraco

You seem to Cherry Pick the posts you want to respond to, why is that, questions or points being made are to hard to refute?

What will an Independent Scotland do if the Shetland Islands want to remain part of the UK which is a possibility? Where will all your oil revenue come from then?

I will chose whatever post "I" wish to reply too and i wont give you a reason for my choice...Who are you to tell me what i should and shouldn't be replying to.?
As to the rest of your post have you any idea how ludicrous and desperate you sound...The Shetlands are going nowhere.

At least they are still speaking to you, I have only been a member for 20 hours and they are refusing to speak to me at all.

I was seriously tempted to ignore you there just for the hell of it... lol

5-2 and since one will not reply to me that makes it 4-2, I can work with those odds.

Also was this not a discussion on Scotlands need for some form of military defence? I am sure there are enough threads on the referendum in general as it is.

Cheers for the back up, but i'm a big boy and can handle myself..Back on Topic..

Would Scotland need a Army..Na, I'll just stand at the Border and Batter anyone who looks a bit dodgy..

posted on Sep, 16 2014 @ 11:57 AM
link   
a reply to: theabsolutetruth
Only poll I have seen says 82% islanders wish to remain Scottish, if there is a poll saying otherwise please let ne know. Otherwise stories from the incredibly right wing union telegraph don't really convince me.

posted on Sep, 16 2014 @ 12:00 PM
link   
a reply to: Xeven
So you would support and expect others to support the military annexation of territorial waters of a country that has chosen to exercise its democratic rights?
Are you sure you are on the right web site?

posted on Sep, 16 2014 @ 12:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: AngryCymraeg

Seen it...read it...no big deal...Mr and Mrs Angry, singing the same song...easy mistake to make. The apology should really be the other way round, more for attitude than anything else.

It's all good.

posted on Sep, 16 2014 @ 12:02 PM
link   
a reply to: Xeven
Lol, exactly as how I see it. I don't actually want Scotland to leave the union, but if they think they're being shafted now, they don't know what's coming when it's a Conservative led Westminster dealing with a foreign nation.
It will be much harsher negotiating conditions for the fledgling Scotland when dealing with everyone else as a foreign nation, UK, EU, NATO, IMF...

link   

originally posted by: Xeven
Seems presumptuous of any separate Scotland to expect a separate UK to respect what you claim as Scottish waters. I would not, especially seeing as your not in NATO, not in the EU, really have no military to to force your will, no allies, no protectorate agreements, no Satellite or communications network beyond your island, no foreign holdings. UK could claim the waters as their own and the world would probably respect that. USA, Russia, China and India have no reason to side with Scotland.

Got nothing really.

It is a posibility but I find it unlikely that it would happen, I do not belive that the UK or Usa would ever attempt to invade a country rich in oil for there own nefarious gains.

link   

What a cop out, whatever! I could make an assumption to what football team you support as the rhetoric your spurting on these forums sounds all to familiar to me.

posted on Sep, 16 2014 @ 12:04 PM
link   

Perhaps you never met any Shetlanders. It is true. In fact many highlanders also do not like central belt Scotland.

www.theguardian.com...

Out Stack, at the other end of the islands, is the most northerly point of the United Kingdom, although that could change if Scottish independence became a reality. At least that was the idea until Tavish Scott, the MSP for Shetland, and his fellow Liberal Democrat, Liam McArthur, MSP for neighbouring Orkney, suggested that the northern isles could stay British, even if the rest of Scotland followed first minister Alex Salmond to independence.

As the referendum debate got under way last week with the unveiling of ex- chancellor Alistair Darling's coalition against an independent Scotland, Shetland, which only 500 years ago was Norwegian, will soon have to pick which flag is dearest to them.

"We are as distant in our heads from Edinburgh as London," Tavish Scott told the Observer, "and neither quite gets Shetland. Our connections are east towards Scandinavia, from historic times, and those connections can be seen in our place names, our timberclad houses. We were insulating our houses long before any green policy from the Scottish government!"

"There is a strong feeling here," he said. "It's that there is an opportunity in this referendum for Shetland to get what it really wants, which is more control of its own affairs.

"The point is that Shetland doesn't want the centralisation of the SNP. Devolution did allow Scotland to go its own way and now it should let Shetland go its own way. We will be working on producing a blueprint of what Shetland wants out of this."

posted on Sep, 16 2014 @ 12:04 PM
link   
a reply to: AngryCymraeg

Sounds like Alex Salmond. Seems the norm for the YES campaign

posted on Sep, 16 2014 @ 12:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: AngryCymraeg

Seen it...read it...no big deal...Mr and Mrs Angry, singing the same song...easy mistake to make. The apology should really be the other way round, more for attitude than anything else.

It's all good.

I beg to differ. I also note that SoloProtocol appears to be unable to apologise for ever being wrong. How mature.

posted on Sep, 16 2014 @ 12:06 PM
link   
a reply to: ScepticScot
Independant Scotland does not exist. It would be Scotland attempting to annex what belongs to the UK after obtaining independence. Those are UK territorial waters. Unless the UK grants their territories to you.

posted on Sep, 16 2014 @ 12:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xeven

Got nothing really.

Really...Every foreign country i have ever visited and every national of that particular country i have had the pleasure of speaking to detest England with a passion...Us on the other hand are actually loved and respected the World over.

I'm Sure Vlad will loan us a few quid for a favour or two...Also, we have already struck extensive trade deals with China and have been dealing with the US both exports and imports successfully for years and years...
edit on 16-9-2014 by Soloprotocol because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 16 2014 @ 12:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: theabsolutetruth

Perhaps you never met any Shetlanders. It is true. In fact many highlanders also do not like central belt Scotland.

www.theguardian.com...

Read it...As we say up here...Mince.
edit on 16-9-2014 by Soloprotocol because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 16 2014 @ 12:09 PM
link   

If UK allows you to travel through their waters or grants them to you with your indepedence. You see, just be comming independent does not transfer UK territories to you as well.

I'm not against Independent Scotland, I just think it's really bad idea for them. No one owes independent Scotland a thing.

I think you guys are a great lot! Just think this is bad idea for you. Hope the best though but we're there is oil disputes there is usually wars to fight.

posted on Sep, 16 2014 @ 12:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: ScepticScot
a reply to: flammadraco
Shetland does not have an opt out clause( no idea where you got that from)
Even if it did and stayed in uk it would not get oil as would be classified as island enclave.

Yes it does, my god your about to make a monumental decision in two days time and you don't even know what you're voting for!!!

www.scottishgovernmentyearbooks.ed.ac.uk...

posted on Sep, 16 2014 @ 12:13 PM
link   
It would be interesting times if Scotland became friendly with Russia and allowed them to set up Military bases in an Independant Scotland.

posted on Sep, 16 2014 @ 12:14 PM
link   

I'm Sure Vlad will loan us a few quid for a favour or two...

As I said earlier, that is the nature of competing foreign nations, expect no concessions from the UK if you leave, expect a harsh negotiating environment if you become a foreign nation, with the UK government calling favours from all it's established networks.

posted on Sep, 16 2014 @ 12:14 PM
link   
a reply to: nonspecific

Typical "Victim Mentality" when the going gets tough and folk give you facts, you both play the victim card.

I'm sure a lot of English folk would agree that we wanted you to remain part of the UK but after seeing the anti English rhetoric by the YES campaign, we changed our minds and hoping your YES vote wins. That being said I'll still attempt to correct any false info that has been spoon fed to you.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join